Start by marking “Technogenesis” as Want to Read:
Technogenesis

Technogenesis

In a near future where almost everyone on earth is connected to a worldwide net, Jasmine Reese discovers the existence of an intelligence called Gestalt-a self-aware entity generated by the collected consciousness of eight billion networked people. And only Jaz can stop it from controlling the world.
Published January 1st 2002 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Technogenesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Technogenesis

Scott Holstad
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book has to be easily one of the cheesiest books I've read in a very long time. In fact, I didn't even finish it. I made it to page 216 and gave up in disgust. It's just so damn stupid. I don't know how much experience the author has with cyberpunk, but she could use a few lessons.

In the future, virtually everyone in the world is connected to the Net. 24/7. And that's all they want out of life. There are a few cranks who are disconnected, but no one pays them any attention. Jaz
Vilmibm
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
really quite delightful. a hidden gem.
Michael
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite good. I gave it four stars because I feel this was a worthy contribution to transhuman speculative fiction.
I felt that the pseudo-utopian descriptions of a globally linked populace were far-fetched but I appreciated the vision.
I also really enjoyed all the descriptions of being linked to the Net; the author did a pretty good job with that.
The plot-line was not particularly original, which kept this from being a truly spectacular book. But given that this was an opportunity to showcase c
Megan
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a really quick read and I liked a lot of the ideas explored, but the characters left something to be desired and the ending made me kind of angry. Jaz stumbles upon a horrible truth, that the net has given rise to a metamind, an artificial intelligence that has made mankind complacent. It keeps its existence secret for fear of rejection. Jaz feels this is a huge breach of privacy, and so wants to work against it. (view spoiler) ...more
Anja
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Zia Swim
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good: A really well thought out exploration of the where the combination of targeted marketing, and the rise of AR (augmented reality) technology could take us. I was also impressed with the interesting ideas of collective consciousness that were introduced.

Bad: Many interesting characters were introduced in this book, I just wish that more of them would have been fleshed out.

Conclusion: A solid entry in the cyberpunk/near-future speculative fiction genre. Not groundbreaking, but if
Nicky Penttila
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good pacing and surprisingly solid in both brain science and tech progress for being more than a decade old. I enjoyed spending time with Jasmine and the people she meets and puzzling out the conundrums their (and our) networks bring up. Adventure and technical aspects most entertaining; a late-breaking romance didn't seem essential to the story. Sorry it is out of print; there aren't so many strong women (or half-Indian, half-Irish!) in starring roles in SFF.
Chris Ellis
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Nothing really wrong with this book, just didn't feel like it flowed naturally somehow.

The idea behind the story, a "skynet" type variation, seems entirely plausible, the characters are interesting, the plot moves along. And yet.....

There was just something about it. The writing is not bad, and I would have no problem recommending it as a quick and entertaining sci-fi read.
S. K. Pentecost
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-be-read-again
Eye opening concepts to inspire both fear and hope. It's been a while since I read it so I'm only listing what's stuck with me four and a half years later.

Definitely on my to be read again list. I go now to make a to be read again list.
Jordan
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting, but I really wish some of the characters and ideas would have been expanded on a bit more. Overall though, I'm a sucker for the ideas that it uses and I'd definitely give another of this author's books a try.
Joe
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: endeavour-award
What if everyone were connected to the Internet 24/7? What if you could get information about a person you met on the street with a thought and details about what their facial features meant?

What if that collective unconsciousness gave rise to something else?
Aleece Meliet
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Written 11 years ago, this novel prophesies what we are now becoming without being aware of it. It was fascinating then to think about the technology of the future, that we take for granted now.
J.M. Brister
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Well, I read it in a day, so I guess it was pretty good.
J
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The writing style was not my favorite (a bit too dense), but I loved the concepts and philosophy behind it. Spent a good long time thinking about the Witch, especially.
R.
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Kind of meh.
Maria
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting, but I distinctly remember disliking the second half and feeling like it fell apart. Didn't like the sex in it.
Artifice Magazine
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: correct page count 1 13 Mar 05, 2018 05:56PM
Best RFID Reader & Scanner System in Pakistan 1 2 Dec 14, 2017 12:35AM
Wife of Eric S Nylund

Syne Mitchell (born 1970) is a novelist in the science fiction genre.[1] She has a bachelor's degree in business administration and master's degree in physics. She lives in Seattle, Washington and is married to author Eric S. Nylund. Her first science fiction novel was Murphy’s Gambit which won the Compton Crook Award in 2001. She subsequently published the first installmen