Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #6)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  5,218 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Published 1989 by Bantam Books (first published August 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World

Stephen
Within the pantheon of endearing, morally-deficient scamps and scoundrels, James “Slippery Jim” Bolivar DiGriz (aka the Stainless Steel Rat) is up there with Bugs Bunny…except not quite so nasty.
Photobucket

Jim is one of those characters you just want to hang out with and he's always good for a few laughs and an elevated level of happy. This series is your basic literary pick me up.

For those unfamiliar with the world of the Stainless Steel Rat series, allow me to brazenly pimp out my previous review of b
James
Slippery Jim diGriz is getting told off by his boss, Inskipp, for stealing while on a previous mission for the Special Corps. Although, staffing a secret inter-galactic space police force with hardened ex-criminals is never going to be plain sailing I'd have thought. While he's being told off two things happen – firstly Jim surreptitiously helps himself to a number of Inskipp's expensive cigars, and secondly Inskipp suddenly disappears. He isn't the first either, a number of people are disappear ...more
Wanda
Synopsis:

"Someone was tampering with time, altering the past to eliminate the present, fading people out of existence into a timeless limbo. One of the victims was Angelina, the wife of James de Griz, better known as the Stainless Steel Rat."

My thoughts:

Another adventure of one of my favourite sociopaths. Well before there was Dexter, there was Slippery Jim DiGriz. He is completely incapable of being straight forward, even with his beloved Angelina, the reformed psychopath.

As per usual, Jim &am
deilann
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

After frustration with other time travel books (think Blackout/All Clear) I'm reminded that time travel stories can be fun. Granted, The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World is pointing out how ridiculous time travel stories can be half the time... so maybe it's not the best example.

Time travel is being used as a weapon, and the Special Corps are being wiped out. It's up to Slippery Jim to save the day (and of course, save Angelina). However, he quickly finds o
John Defrog
I’ve been aware of the Stainless Steel Rat series for a long time, but I was never really motivated to try it. My motivation for trying this one was driven partly by it being a cheap used copy, and partly by recently reading and liking Make Room! Make Room!. This is the third installment of the life and times of Slippery Jim diGriz, a master thief in the far-flung future who is recruited by Special Corps, an intergalactic law enforcement agency that recruits criminals like him. In this episode, ...more
Linda I
Slippery Jim is back, and this time he saves the world from a time traveller named "He". After Special Corps employees begin rapidly disappearing, Jim is sent back to 1975 earth, translated "dirt", to stop "He" from conceiving his evil plan to destroy Jim's planet. Jim is thus sent on a wild goose chase, full of time loopholes and paradoxes, to track "He" through time - eventually catching "He" in Napoleanic France, in time to prevent Napolean (which is actually "He") from winning the war agains ...more
Thom
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
Two of my favorite genres - time travel and the Stainless Steel Rat. No explanation of why characters just "fade out" at the beginning of the story, and clearly no "parallel dimensions" hypothesis, but good fun regardless. As an aside, some good clean fun poked at 1970s Earth, the US in particular.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the stainless steel rat books. They are all quick reads with alot of humor in them. The stories remain fresh and new. Very recommended, especially to teen readers or someone new to SiFi
Rasmus Skovdal
While I can see how this series has some lasting appeal, this particular book isn't that great.

It's a mildly inventive time travel story, with a hero that shifts so violently between progressive and regressive (a 40-year-old sci-fi book with some issues about women? Shocking!) attitudes that he'll end up giving himself whiplash and who, while supposedly from a wildly advanced technology, solves 90% of his problems with “sleep gas grenades” and seems to generally not be all that advanced, from ne
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's taken me some time to understand that the entire Stainless Steel Rat series was written at a time when a lot of the tropes we have in sci fi weren't common to the genre. In fact, it may have been one of the inspirations for it. There was a distinct lack of the same feeling of "The hero always win through a feat of daring do" and more of a feeling of "holy crap, he got lucky". I enjoyed it thoroughly as a time travel nerd.
C. Bella
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrific,amazing and well edited.
Connor Lennard
it's not exactly the swashbuckling galactic adventure that I expected after reading the other stainless steel rat books. but Jim is snarky and clever and fun. definitely worth the read.
Ian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't even try to follow time travel stories, but it remains light, charming fare.
Johnny
James “Slippery Jim” diGriz, aka “The Stainless Steel Rat,” was one of Harry Harrison’s most beloved characters. At times, the wicked humor just popped into Harry’s head when he was typing on his word processor (I guess his PC came later). Each “Stainless Steel Rat” story feels like a marvelous imaginary romp where Harry thinks up absurd obstacles, nearly melodramatic situations as in the old movie serials, and then, finds (usually funny) ways out. The solutions don’t always make perfect sense. ...more
David King

“The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World” is the third instalment in Harry Harrison’s light hearted science-fiction series, “The Stainless Steel Rat”. In this novel, Slippery Jim diGriz finds his fellow members of the Special Corps suddenly disappearing around him. It soon becomes clear that somebody is changing the past to affect the future which is resulting in the disappearances. Luckily, there just happens to be a time machine available which Jim uses to travel into the past so that he can u
Simon Forward
By this stage in our journey, we should have a clear understanding that the Stainless Steel Rat is actually a little on the fluffy side, with only the rare and occasional glint of a harder edge cutting in here and there. This, adverstised with the words TIME-JUMPING RAT emblazoned on the back cover, is perhaps like the giant rat in Doctor Who’s Talons Of Weng-Chiang: a touch too cute for its own good.

Weighing in at what feels like the length of a Target Doctor Who novelisation, it’s as fast and
Kat  Hooper
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Slippery Jim DiGriz is back. Back in time, that is. The evil villain who calls himself “He” has been using time travel to try to rid the world of the Special Corp (including Jim and Angelina) by eliminating them before they were even born. As his world is quickly fading in front of his eyes, Jim jumps back to a planet called “Dirt” (that’s Earth) in their year 1975 so he can kill He before He can work His evil plan. Before the adventure is over, Jim ends u
Matias
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuando compre este libro no esperaba encontrarme con que en definitiva, solo puede ser llamado un “diamante en bruto”. Es una novela que, a pesar de ser la numero 6 de una saga, me atrapo al instante. Es verdad, empieza y no entendes nada. Segun parece hubo un robo y acusan al personaje principal del delito. Pero, “Oh sopresa!”, la historia toma una un giro inesperado y nuestro personaje tiene que viajar al pasado para salvar el futuro.
Muchas veces uno piensa que ya conoce todos los artefactos q
John Loyd
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was explained pretty quickly that stainless steel rat was a metaphor. In this future the galaxy is fairly peaceful and bland. James Bolivar "slippery Jim" DiGriz had a choice in life to go with the flow or to stir things up, get some excitement, live on the edge, making a not honest living. He's the rat, and the stainless steel is the type needed in this space age.

The plot follows sort of a pattern of Jim explaining what he's going to do, and what he expects will happen. A few unexpected thi
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World is a fun book to read. Like the first one in the series, the main character is highly likable, even though deep in his heart he is a crook. But at least he doesn’t believe in killing, unlike his wife, Angelina, the ex-pirate.

This book rolls along really fast and I found myself totally enraptured, even though I had read it about 15 years earlier. Jim never seems to be out of trouble and always finds himself in situations where I have no idea how he can pos
Mark R.
This time Harry Harrison's got Jim DeGriz being shot back through time, sent to the long-gone planet Earth, in order to stop some nefarious wrong-doers from erasing the Special Corps team centuries before their birth.

It's a cool concept, with the usual fast pace, action scenes every other chapter, and the Rat's normal amount of humor. But I feel that some opportunities are missed. I'd like to see how Jim reacts to different elements of 1975 New York, but the city is barely on display, and before
Kathryn
Swashbuckling adventurer, thief, and all-around anti-hero travels into the past and the future(occasionally against his will) to save his planet, his woman, and ALL TIME ITSELF.

Not really my thing. It's obviously all meant in fun, but every time Jim gets himself out of trouble by pulling out yet another futuristic high-tech toy that he never informed the reader about, well it all gets a little stale. The time-travel wrap-up is cute for about a page, but lets face it, if you've seen "Bill and Ted
Andreas
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Jon
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This time the Stainless Steel Rat finds himself on a quest through time and space to stop a mad villain from rewriting history as the universe knows it. Plot holes are in abundance, including a glaring part where the primary antagonist allows our hero to escape via his arrogance and/or stupidity, but that seems okay for this easy-going, teenager-oriented space adventure. Very similar to the other novels with its lighthearted humor, action-packed story, and fast pacing.
Midnight Muldoon
I gave this 5 stars because when I was reading it and realized it was a time travel book I groaned. I HATE time travel, because it's tedious and messes up the past and I only decided to finish it because I didn't have any more new audio books on my MP3 player and was stuck at work for 8 hours. (I do data entry and listen to books while I work to keep my sanity) I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, interesting, humorous, and dealt with the entire issue I have with time travel.
Sean Randall
And so ends yet another adventure for slippery Jim. This time, he goes back to old earth and generally trots around in time, rather than space. all quite paradoxical and ludicrous, but quite unsurprising. We don't know much about Jim's early life yet, so his blase assurances that this is the first time he's felt the true hand of fear and so forth may be a wee bit hollow. Still, with the kids added into the mix the adventures are surely to increase in sarcastic banter, if nothing else.
Győző
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't good. Time travel almost always a bad idea, this was no exception. The plot and the main character suffered greatly. The title promises worldsaving, which is epic. Instead it was drunk stumbling upon stuff in the dark and being happy at the end that we managed to stay alive. And while you could look over the 2D characters in the first and the second novell, now it is geting on your nerves, why cant they be a little more belivable?
Chani
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I'm a big fan of the Stainless Steel Rat series. The first person adventures of a criminal in a world where there are no crimes. They're fun to read and not to be taken to seriously.

This volume takes our 'hero' back in time. First to 1975 and then to 1805, chasing after He, the enemy who is writing the Corp out of existence. All Jimi Di Griz wants is to get back to his wife, the murderous Angelina.

The resolution is ridiculous, the ride fun, an enjoyable afternoon was had by all.
Brian
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
The stainless steel rat is a thief and a futuristic James Bond kind of guy. In this book he travels through time to save the universe. The evil 'He' is trying to destroy him. This will also destroy the universe and 'He' will rule... over, umm... nothing? Humorous at times. Boring at times. Exciting at times. Good book for the beach... at times. At my time it was a good enough read. Didn't grab me and I will forget it by tomorrow or tonight. But I'll remember it was fun with beer.
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • Mort: A Discworld Big Comic
  • The Boys Book
  • Tintin in the New World
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's #2)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)