Start by marking “From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans” as Want to Read:
From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 742 pages
Published April 11th 2000 by Knopf (first published April 22nd 1947)

Start your review of From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans
Warner
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Amust read history on black people
Douglas
Text book for my African American History up to 1877 class. Very readable & enlightening.
Thomas Rush
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When one encounters John Hope Franklin, now in video form on old TV shows or youtube, the first thing one is struck by is his natural dignity. He had such an easy-going personality, that he was able to easily make you like him right away. There was a benevolent quality about him, a naturally giving kind of spirit. In addition to his calm, kind and peaceful air, one is immediately struck by his intelligence. He's a man that can tell you something that happened 70 years ago with the clarity of as ...more
Vince Carter
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even with all the attendant publicity of how transforming an experience it was for our president to achieve his office, this famed account is remarkable. Daunting in its range certainly, yet the readable way in which so many stories of heroism and horror, inspiration and contribution are told makes it so worth the experience.
Ann
May 24, 2009 added it
Shelves: read-2009
John Hope Franklin was a most amazing man. I requested this book at the library after learning of his connection to Nashville's Fisk University and after his recent death.
This reference / text book is full of a great deal of information - very impressive. I was able to skim through it, though didn't read it cover to cover.
Mark Bowles
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A. Overview
1. Moss comes on board to offer a younger perspective for the 40th anniversary of Franklin’s work. This book attempts to “bring together the essential facts in the history of the American Negro from his ancient African beginnings down tot he present time. (Xi)” This history is the story of “the strivings of the nameless millions who have sought adjustment in a new and sometimes hostile world.”
B. Land of their fathers
1. In the last 1/3 of the 20th century blacks have written fondly of
N.W. Martin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm giving Franklin's landmark text 3 stars. Why? Simply because he is a known revisionist and social historian who emphasizes his opinion instead of reporting objective analysis. Don't get me wrong, the social movement in history was a landmark time for history, at least in my opinion, but the problem here is that Franklin adheres to a Liberal revisionist doctrine (via his sources) without critiquing both sides of the spectrum. Tis why we see - in later chapters - his aggressive opinion on Reag ...more
Edward Bryant
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I believe this is one of the best single volume surveys of Black History in America. Dr. Franklin is a sharp chronicler and writes in a tone that is scientific enough, but also with some passion and the patience of a true historian. I first used the book in an African American History course in college and since purchased the most updated versions for family bookshelf.
Mac
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best historians I've read in a while. He tells the story of the African American in America better than anyone I've read so far. Franklin's research is top notch. I recommend this book to anyone interested in America as we know it today. ...more
Chelsea
A very good, and very accessible, survey of black history in the US. I really recommend this for beginners (like me) in understanding black American history.
Monise
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Going to re-read this great book, which provides an in-depth account of African American history, since I will be designing curriculum to use for homeschooling in the Fall.
Dee's Reading Zone
Thank you Dr. Waller for introducing me to this THOUGHT-PROVOKING JEWEL IN UNDERGRADUATE SCHOOL CIRCA 1984!
Kiki Unhinged
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Required reading for Ethnic History class
Rizky Hutapea
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the most complete historical description for black American history
Phi Beta Kappa Authors
John Hope Franklin
ΦBK, Fisk University, 1953
Author

From the publisher: This is the dramatic, exciting, authoritative story of the experiences of African Americans from the time they left Africa to their continued struggle for equality at the end of the twentieth century.

Since its original publication in 1947, From Slavery to Freedom has stood as the definitive his-tory of African Americans. Coauthors John Hope Franklin and Alfred A. Moss, Jr., give us a vividly detailed account of the journey of
Mo Franklin
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
John Hope Franklin was a revered and respected historian when I first picked up this book as part of my undergraduate studies. My professor could not have selected a better textbook for African American history, in my view. It was a "must read" for those hoping to get a true, in-depth understanding of African American history.

Although I have not read the latest edition which includes updated information by another author, I still hold this book in high regard based on my reading it many years ag
Josh Brown
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The singular commitment to cataloguing and analyzing the history of black people in the United States that this volume exhibits provides a perspective on American history that is invaluable for understanding our present day circumstances - both for understanding contemporary issues that are “about race” as well as the ones that seem not to be.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of really good information. I am not an expert in African American History so I can't speak to the integrity there, but I did find this to be a great resource to guide a class. I wouldn't expect to be able to teach solely from this, I have yet to find a textbook that doesn't need supplemental materials, but this is a great start. ...more
Rob Erekson
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This one took a while to get though. It’s absolutely filled to the brim with historical information and facts. In fact, I went though at least 2 highlighters while reading this. While a dry read (I mean, it is a textbook), it was also a fascinating dive into the long and complex history of blacks in America.
Dawn
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beast to read because history books can be dry. And it’s big. As a white woman it was good to read African American history told by black historians rather than old white men. It gave me a different perspective on events I had learned in school and I learned about other historical figures and events that I had never heard about. The book is well organized and I am glad I made it through.
Brad Neece
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not an easy read but an informatively fulfilling one. It’s a comprehensive account of the African American experience from the slavery era through the post civil rights era.
Angelika Fuller
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's quite comprehensive, up until the '60s. ...more
Derek Shouba
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Kind of boring. A bit like a series of encyclopedia articles. But one can imagine how exciting it must have been to read this African-American history of America when it was first published.
Howard Franklin
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meticulously researched by Franklin and Moss, this highly readable book begins by presenting a broad view of early African empires, Ghana, Mali, and Songhay, dating back to before the Middle Ages. In fascinating detail, the reader is presented with societies that were remarkably sophisticated, with a sharp focus on their political, economic, and social systems, as well as art and music.

After this foundation is carefully laid, the authors then sweep forward to The Slave Trade and the New World, f
Frederick
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
"We face ... a moral crisis as a country and as a people. It cannot be met by repressive police action. It cannot be left to increased demonstrations in the streets. It cannot be quieted by token moves or talk. It is time to act in the Congress, in your state and local legislative body and, above all, in all our daily lives." (p. 632) These words were spoken by the 35th President of the United States, 57 years ago! Sadly, they are as relevant today as they were then.
Dr. Franklin's history of th
Luis Quiros
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The work of a man who understood that history, without our stories was a deception that needed to be exposed. His mission as a historian was not to simply compile historical events but to bring forth the history of the people who lived through those historical events and to give a voice to their experiences.
Doug Weiser
I finally finished reading this book.

I was prepared for it not to be a page turner, but I did not know it was a 636 page college level text book when I ordered it. Still, I feel it was a very enlightening read.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of the US.
Quisha Turner
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to read it again. I learned a lot. History is amazing. Somethings that I read really upset me but I learned the truth. It's not pretty. It's rooted in history deep deep rooted evil..it's all black and white. ...more
John Legge
Dec 20, 2007 rated it liked it
It's a history book, testbook like, but full of interesting stuff. Learning experience. ...more
Sweetgrass
Mar 26, 2009 added it
Shelves: diaspora
My introduction to the the study of Africana started here.

Civil War and Reconstruction 1 1 Apr 10, 2020 07:40PM

• Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir
  • We Keep the Dead Close: A Murder at Harvard and a Half Century of Silence
  • Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady
  • Confess: The Autobiography
  • Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)
  • A Brief History of the Third Reich
  • Pemberontakan Mahasiswa: Revolusi Perancis, Mei 1968
  • Wild Minds: The Artists and Rivalries That Inspired the Golden Age of Animation
  • The Zealot and the Emancipator: John Brown, Abraham Lincoln, and the Struggle for American Freedom
  • The Moviegoer
  • In the Dream House
John Hope Franklin (2 January 1915 – 25 March 2009) was professor emeritus of history at Duke University and the author of From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans, Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation, and other books.