Start by marking “The Story of Blima: A Holocaust Survivor” as Want to Read:
The Story of Blima: A Holocaust Survivor

The Story of Blima: A Holocaust Survivor

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In 1941, Blima Weisstuch was a young Jewish woman going about her life in a city in Poland.

She paid no heed to the stories about a man named Adolf Hitler, his Nazi Party, and their plan for a world that did not include Jews.

But almost overnight her ordinary life was gone, replaced by a nightmare world of terror and death. Millions of people disappeared into the horror of

Published May 1st 2005 by Townsend Press

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Blima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Blima

Andrea Vazquez
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is an amezing book is the true story of blima during the holocaust and she works in a bakery with her aunt she is very conected with her family they are very reunited until one day when blima was coming from her aunt bakery she was taken away by the nazis in front of her mom and the last words she heard from her mom was she scream her name and when she got to one of the camp she found and old friend of hers so she felt a little better knowing she wasn't going to be al alone in that camp she ...more
Hannah Knoop
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think that the author's purpose of writing the book was to tell everyone that you need to live day by day, not trying to thing when your getting out. In this book it talks about how her life was changed and reformed, how her daughter writes this book about Blima.
I think the theme of this book is a lesson to never repeat ourselves in this miserable history. Blima said there were two major concerns to people and they were "look on the brighter side and never give up on yourself or anyone else
Elaine Thompson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Blima

A remarkable book, shocking. This book is not faint hearted. I'm glad Blima and her family managed to survive and make a new life for themselves.
Laura Verret
A story from the concentration camps.

Her Life.

1936. Poland. Blima Weisstuch was twenty years old, pretty, and Jewish. She worked in her Aunt Rachel’s bakery, chatting with the children, and serving customers. She wasn’t really interested in politics – she was just concerned with making it to the bakery on time each morning. But one morning, when she arrives at the bakery, she finds her aunt in tears and a yellow scroll with the word ‘JUDEN’ plastered to the window. It symbolizes that their estab
Mabintu
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The Story of Blima: A Holocaust Survivor, by Shirley Russak Wachtel was an amazing it reminded me of a book we read about the holocaust lest year in my English class. The character talked about her experience in the holocaust and about the things she saw and had to do. Even though it’s a very slim book, weighing in at 133 pages but the subject matter is heavy, and the vocabularies are every.

The take place between the year 1936 and 1947 and it talk about before, during and after the holocaust. Bl
Joannayz
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I have just finished reading the book. As a daughter of Holocaust survivors and as a holocaust researcher, I am striving to read anything which has been written about the topic. I am especially interested in reading memoirs and testimonies of survivors.
I always find each story unique and compelling. So is The Story of Blima.
However, I was utterly dismayed by the following: 1. The transition to chapter 2 was very abrupt, and it seemed that nothing really happened since September 1st, the first d
Leeanna
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
The Story of Blima: A Holocaust Survivor, by Shirley Russak Wachtel

"The Story of Blima" is a very slim book, weighing in at 133 pages. But the subject matter is heavy, and while you'll likely read the book quickly, Blima and her story will stay in your mind for a while.

The book takes place between the years of 1936 and 1947 and covers Blima's life before, during, and after the Holocaust. Captured off the street of her hometown by the Nazis, Blima is imprisoned in a forced labor camp for the maj
Lissa
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, biography, we-own
This account of the Holocaust is extremely short and extremely powerful. Written by Blima's daughter, this biography contains countless haunting passages describing the inner, emotional horror Blima felt as she was stolen from her home and put to work in two different concentration camps. The narrative also documents the struggles Blima encountered as she tried to piece her life together following the liberation of Bergen-Belsen and the world she knew before the war, giving her story a poignant ...more
Kate
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
For me personally, the story came across as impersonal and clinical, perhaps because it was written by the survivor's daughter rather than the survivor.
Furthermore, I found some anecdotes told throughout the novel seemed trivial and unnecessary, this happened so frequently that, for me, it took away from the author's attempts to describe the enormity and tragedy of the Holocaust.
Ashley
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
It was an okay book. I had to read it for a book project at school, but I have read worse books.

It kinda lacked detail, even though I'm sure I didn't want too much graphic detail about the Holocaust. I felt like it taught me a little more about history, and I guess that's the point of historical books.
Amy
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book better than still alive because it was written as a story and not remembrances looking back. I am astounded that the Holocaust happened without public outcry. This true story is compelling and interesting!
Amy Buitendyk
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. I am most certainly going to read "My Mothers Shoes", which tells more of Blimas amazing story.
Joanna
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Good story...but very sad...
Carla
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is one of the best books I've ever read. It is amazing and what is most shocking is that is a true story. Congratulations to the author
Kenzie
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wachtel really does a great job of sucking you into the story. She makes it seem like you are right there with Blima, and helping her get through her tough adventures.
Krista
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Even its short length did not detract from this powerful story. Everyone should read this.
Kayla Malley
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love all holocaust books including this one. This book takes you along on a tragic yet heartwarming journey of ones survival from the holocaust. A short book that is amazing.
Gabriela Mendoza-calderon
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Story Blima:A Holocaust Survivor/Shirley Russak Wachtel.It was super good story and heart-break because it was very hard to fought back with Nazi Party.
Sara Edgell
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Used this book for a book study. Amazing story, enjoyable read despite the heavy topic matter. Looking forward to reading My Mothers Shoes.
Lara Bay
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! An amazing book! I could barely hold back my tears. I could not stop reading this book and I was very sad when it ended!
Yukiery
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Letters My Mother Never Read
  • Martin Luther
  • The Religious History of America: The Heart of the American Story from Colonial Times to Today
  • Guinea Pig Scientists: Bold Self-Experimenters in Science and Medicine
  • The Life of Thomas More
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII
  • Cruel World: The Children of Europe in the Nazi Web
  • Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa, and Sarah Lennox, 1740-1832
  • Ezcape from Sobibor
  • Perpetrators Victims Bystanders: The Jewish Catastrophe 1933-1945
  • Where the Birds Never Sing: The True Story of the 92nd Signal Battalion and the Liberation of Dachau
  • Witnesses of War: Children's Lives Under the Nazis
  • A History of the Holocaust
“Besides, what is pretty, anyway?” she continues. “Eyes? What does the color matter, as long as the ones you love can see themselves shining there? A mouth? Wide or narrow, so long as it speaks the truth.” 0 likes