Start by marking “Captain America: Hail Hydra” as Want to Read:
Captain America: Hail Hydra

Captain America: Hail Hydra

(Captain America: Miniseries)

From the dark days of World War II to the Heroic Age, witness the brutal battle between Captain America and the immortal evil known as Hydra! How far back has the gruesome group been killing its way to capture the secrets of eternal life? What can Steve Rogers do to halt its sinister spread when the horrific hordes of the undead rise to stop him? Find out as award-winning ...more
Published July 20th 2011 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America

Start your review of Captain America: Hail Hydra
Jeff
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix

Blah, blah, blah.

HYDRA sounds like a bunch of pests, instead of a group bent on world domination.

If this volume is any indication, HYDRA needs to come up with a new slogan. Maybe a softer, gentler approach? How about this one?

Or?

Or?

We should leave the science-y stuff to the geeks at A.I.M. because we suck at it?

Case in point: This volume follows the struggles of Baron Von Mad Science Guy as he tries to come up with some sort of fountain of youth/GOD juice/natural watermelon flavor
Chad
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Each issue is set in a different era of Cap's life with multiple flashbacks to prehistory. Turns out Hydra had been around for thousands of years, all in search of creating a new race of gods (Yeah, it's dumb). Each issue has a different artist. Some of the art is downright awful and the dialogue isn't much better. It reminds me a lot of the comics from the 60's in that they feel very dated and can be painful to get through. Give this a pass.
Shannon
This covers five tales in regards to the Thule Society and how they have been about for centuries upon centuries seeking immortality for their own ends. Note that each tale has the same writer, Jonathan Maberry, yet different artists for each separate tale: Sergio Cariello, Tom Scioli, Phil Winslade, Kyle Hotz and Graham Nolan.

Some of the artwork is plain goofy at times but I got used to it and reminded myself art is about taking chance and it won't always be perfect.

The historical clips were so
Gary Butler
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
87th book read in 2018.

Number 619 out of 747 on my all time book list.

Everything here is meh. Not bad or horrible; just so meh.
Dan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Horrible art and even worse storytelling.
Craig
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This one was pretty good, but not really terrific. The art was from five different people, and while I really liked the third section from Phil Winslade, most of the other work I thought ranged from run-of-the-mill to not-very-effective. The story shows how Hydra has been chasing an immortality serum for thousands of years, and how Cap has been fighting them off-and-on since World War II. I thought some of the continuity was a trifle confusing, and at times Hydra seemed more of a semi-inept orga ...more
John
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought this book would be a fun experiment: Cap fighting Hydra in five different time periods with different artists on each issue. Well, what it boiled down to was Cap and friends fighting the same damn Nazi zombies over and over five times. Pretty repetitive and ultimately boring. The art was okay, except for Tom Scioli's attempt at imitating Jack Kirby, which I found irritating and distracting.
Rachel Simson
Apr 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not what I thought it was. And not that interesting either. A bit samey.
Jen
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Zombies! Hydra! Fury!

I liked this, it gave me some background on Hydra, their quest for science, and a period where Captain America turned his back and was only "The Captain". I did not know that Sam/Falcon's flying apparatus came from Wakanda either, so that was cool to find out.
Frans Kempe
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
5 stories of Captain America and Hydra. Hydra has through the centuries tried to create a superhuman and how is Captain America part of their plan?
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I do not like graphic novels or comic books.
Charles Hamel
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good story and was extremely interesting as well! I would highly recommend it for any comic book reader.
Benjamin
I picked this up on a lark and I'm very disappointed in that lark. The idea behind this collection is fine: let's show how the Hydra organization has been working on the quest for immortality since the dawn of civilization. As a history/mythology nerd, I love this sort of hodge-podge, where we get people investigating Norse and Chinese and Egyptian myths. There's some interesting scenes--one of my favorites is the shadowy image of a Chinese immortal's living hair takes a bunch of children in sac ...more
Dearbhla
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic, sff
Opening in 1944 this graphic novel spans decades as it shows how Captain America has battled with Hydra for as long as he has been alive. But in the history of Hydra that isn’t very long. They have been around since before the pyramids, and they are patient and will to out-wait their enemies to achieve their aims.

During World War II they used the Nazis to further their scientific endeavours, but they were never really Nazis themselves. It was just a handy tool to hide behind, not that they didn’
orton41290
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hail Hydra is this first time so far that I've been displeased with a graphic novel. Hydra tells the story of the evil group Hydra which has reared its ugly head many times in humanities history, even back in ancient Egypt. This story bounces around a lot, showing us Steve Rodgers and Bucky fighting them back in WWII and showing some of Hydra's previous appearances. My largest problem is how inconsistent everything is. We have Rodgers as Captain America and Bucky is dead, but part 5, Bucky is Ca ...more
Alex Sarll
Jonathan Hickman's vexingly incomplete Shield has given Marvel's foremost spy organisation a secret history stretching back millennia. This appears to be an effort to do the same for their Cold War adversaries Hydra, with the slight problem that instead of being written by arguably Marvel's second-best writer, and tied in to the various other core titles on which he's worked, it's a throwaway miniseries scripted by someone generally filed under 'why do they keep hiring this guy?' In so far as th ...more
Paul Allard
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
So-so collection of stories all with a common theme of Hydra trying to find an immortality serum and create new gods. Many co-stars appear as the story skips through time from the early days of Captain America to the present. Not too impressed by some of the writing nor the artwork in some of the stories.
Thomas
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
it was ok, i am sure i seen two Captain America's in the same scene a couple of times. Have i missed something in the Marvel universe. i'm new to the Graphic novel scene and wouldn't suprise me. it was ok but nothing great.
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was fun to have each different era illustrated by a different artist, but the story wasn't all that intriguing, and I'm not sure I liked what they did with Steve and that formula.
David Agranoff
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Cap and Zombies written by Jonathan Maberry. Pretty cool full review coming.
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting take on the Captain America universe.
Holly
rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2012
Ashley Elise Elise
Apr 06, 2013
Robert Alicea
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Hydra showcases the goals they have in store for the world as they battle against the good of Captain America and his allies over decades for control of the future.
With an interesting plot delving into a more sinister, older, devious, organized Hydra with a complex goal of creating both eternal warriors and a superior race Captain America needs to thwart an evil plot using crumbs of clues over the ages. Once through a tough exposition, issues 3 and 4 stand out with a cohesive plot, some great e
Nebraska
Sofia
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Ender's Game - Formic Wars: Silent Strike
  • Marvel Zombies Destroy!
  • DCeased
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Fear Itself
  • Notes to Self: Essays
  • 1872
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • Batman: Hush
  • Croire aux fauves
  • The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • DC Meets Hanna-Barbera
  • Doctor Who: Silhouette
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &

Captain America: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Adventures of Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty
  • Batman/Captain America
  • Kapetan Amerika: Ples smrti
  • Captain America: What Price Glory?
  • Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty