Start by marking “Bleating Hearts: Exposing the Hidden World of Animal Suffering” as Want to Read:
Bleating Hearts: Exposing the Hidden World of Animal Suffering

Bleating Hearts: Exposing the Hidden World of Animal Suffering

Published November 7th 2013 by Changemakers Books

To ask other readers questions about Bleating Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleating Hearts

Start your review of Bleating Hearts: Exposing the Hidden World of Animal Suffering
mad
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They Shoot Narwhals, Don't They?

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review at the author's invitation. Also, trigger warning for discussions of violence, including that of a sexual nature.)

"Hierarchies feed oppression because it allows for valuation: those at the top are more valued than those at the bottom. Oppressors like hierarchies that keep animals at the bottom because then you can do to humans what you do to animals if you say that the humans are like the animals. So
Peacegal
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bleating Hearts is one of the few animal issues books that will be as valuable to seasoned animal advocates as it is to newcomers to the cause. Whether it is exposing a chronic problem that has been mostly overlooked by animal defenders--

According to a 2012 investigation by the New York Times, an average of 24 horses pass away on US racetracks every week.

--or simply looking at a familiar issue in a new and devastating way--

[Circus animals] spend 91 to 99 percent of their time confined in cages,
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is heart wrenching, gut twisting. This book filled me with anger, renewing me with a sense of right and wrong. If you read this book and choose not to convert to a vegan lifestyle, you had better have a damn good excuse.

And no, 'I can't live without bacon' is not a good excuse.
Kezia
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's very little missing in Bleating Hearts, or as I like to call it, "1001 Ways You Didn’t Know Animals Are Exploited." Possibly the most comprehensive book about animal exploitation ever written, it is an encyclopedia of nearly every horror we do to animals, and how to make a difference on their behalf.

While many people feel they are aware of how animals are used for food, fur, or even biomedical research, we are still often unfamiliar with human’s use of other species in sports, war, reli
Antonia
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A punch in the gut, this must be one of the most heartbreaking and powerful books I've ever read. As a Veterinary Medicine student, I recommend it to all students like me out there and to all Veterinarians and Veterinary nurses alike. This book is a masterpiece.
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

And no, 'I can't live without bacon' is not a good excuse.
Susan Clark-cook
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a well written, well documented, detailed look at what goes on behind the industry that sells us the meat, or dead animals as he prefers to refer the meat on our tables, in our restaurants and fast food places. I guarantee if you read this book, even part of it you might never again look at meat in the same way. And for any animal lovers or even anyone wanting to improve their health, or just understand more about the way we get food, the why and other information this is the one to read ...more
Gail harris
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not easy to learn the truth but once you know you must be a voice for those that have no voice, should be required reading in every high school.
Jeffrey Cohan
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veganism
"Bleating Hearts" is virtually an encyclopedia of human-caused animal suffering. It covers some of the more familiar forms, such as factory farming and vivisection, as well as a few I had never heard of, such as the Gadhimai Jatra Mela bloodbath, which happened to take place as I was reading this book.

Since this book is encyclopedic in scope, it is also, by its very nature, somewhat superficial. Each chapter stands on its own. You don't necessarily have to read the chapters in order -- or read t
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books animal activists dare others to read and then try to continue their omnivorous lifestyle. Nearly all of the gruesome commentary is backed up with solid up-to-date and official research. I borrowed my copy from the library but may consider adding it to the collection as a reference item to go to when people question why I don't exploit animals for my own purposes, like every other "normal" human.
Nov 16, 2017
Julie Levenhagen
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Animal Liberation
I am the author of A Vegan Ethic: Embracing A Life Of Compassion Toward All, Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism and Bleating Hearts: The Hidden World of Animal Suffering (all from Changemakers Books). I stopped eating meat after an encounter with one of India’s many cows in 1992, then went vegan a decade later.

Beginning in 2004, I served as a contributing writer for Satya