Start by marking “The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone Series #24)” as Want to Read:
The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone Series #24)

The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone #24)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,282 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by BBC Audiobooks America

To ask other readers questions about The Ever-Running Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ever-Running Man

Lain
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muller never disappoints. In this latest Sharon McCone mystery, PI McCone must investigate her husband Hy Rapinski's business, RKI, to see who is responsible for a series of bombings against the company. Along the way, she discovers a few pieces of information that may irreparably damage her relationship with Rapinski.

All the favorite characters are here -- Ted, Anne Marie, Rae, etc. -- and I especially appreciate how everyone continues to evolve and face challenges of their own.

There are a few
Kathleen Hagen
The Ever-Running Man, by Marcia Muller. A. Narrated by Susan Ericksen, produced by BBC Audiobooks America, and downloaded from audible.com.

Lately the Sharon McCone books have been up and down. This one was one of the best. In this book, Hy Rapinsky’s security firm has a problem. There is someone going all over the country setting off bombs and damaging or destroying various offices of RKI Security. He is seen leaving the sites of several places just before the bomb goes off, and he seems to have
Kristen
In the 24th installment of Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone PI series, The Ever-Running Man, Sharon returned to tackle another tricky mystery case. Back in her stomping grounds of San Francisco, California, Hy's firm asked Sharon to track down the "ever-running man", a shadowy figure who leaves the scene of setting explosives at their headquartered offices. She didn't have to look for long, when he set one at their San Francisco office. She caught a glimpse of his retreating body. He seemed to be c ...more
Carol Ann
Ms. Muller has picked up a trick from Mary Higgins Clark, which is, if you have a weak story introduce more characters than you can keep track of.
Kenneth Flusche
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
still a little confused with the ending but still a good quick read
Wendy Breau
Fun mystery, easy read.
Janice
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Hy Ripinsky's company hires McCone's to find out who has targeted it. There have been bombings at office all over the globe over several years. To research, Sharon has to dig deep into the partners' backgrounds, including Hy's. Even he, who Sharon has just married, has secrets. Is their union strong enough? And, oh yeah, who's behind the bombings.
LJ
THE EVER-RUNNING MAN (Private Invest-Sharon McCone-No. Cal-Cont) – G
Muller, Marcia – 25th in series
Warner Books, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780446582421
First Sentence: “Here’s what we have on the ever-running man,” Hy said.
*** PI Sharon McCone is hired by her husband as someone is blowing up properties owned by RK Investigations, the security firm, of which Hy is one-third owner. A figure has been seen leaving the scenes and has become known as “the ever-running man.” Although Sharon knew Hy h
Terralyn Brown Barfield
3 1/2 *s . As always, an enjoyable read. I watch for each new Marcia Muller release.
Angelina
Marcia Muller brings her A game to the page. I have loved Sharon McCone mysteries for about 11 years since I lived in Big Bear, CA and worked at a Christian Lumberyard as a receptionist. There was nothing to read but bibles and murder mysteries. I started with Mullers "Both Ends of the Night" and quickly fell in love with her writing style, her characters and most importantly her mysteries. They are page turners, pot boilers, house burners, sink overflow-ers. Whatever. This was no exception. I w ...more
Nancy
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book in the Sharon McCone saga. Keeps your interest from cover to cover.

Sharon McCone is hired by her husband's security firm to track down "the ever-running man," a shadowy figure who has been leaving explosive devices at their various offices. She doesn't have to search for long. When McCone narrowly escapes an explosion at the security firm's San Francisco offices, she catches a glimpse of his retreating figure. The ever-running man is dangerously close--and anyone connected
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback

Every few books in this series Muller likes to dig into the lives of one or two of the regular (or at semi-regular and familiar) characters from the series. She juggles it all up and we end up with character development too as everything moves on just like things do in the real world. This approach to changing the series works really well for me.

This time it's Hy Ripinsky and his business partners, the slightly shady Renshaw and Kessell, who run a big security firm who are getting the McCone inv

Jan C
Apr 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, california
Some guy keeps placing bombs at RKI facilities, safe-houses and apartments. Hy, Sharon's husband, is desperate enough to hire his wife and her firm to find out just what is going on.

This book is a lesson in never working with your spouse - it could put your marriage in jeopardy! And, in this case, your life.

After all, what good is a detective story if there aren't a few intrigues, pitfalls and dangers thrown in.

And there was even a side-trip to Chicago (location of a bombing) thrown in, so it
Kathryn
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have pulled another book from my used library book sale pile.

This is #24 in the Sharon McCone series, I have read many of the Sharon McCone series and always enjoyed them.

Finished. Great story and read as always. Now I am back on to read the next 4 I have missed and perhaps be caught up when her 2012 book comes out.

If you enjoy Sharon McCone by Marcia Muller, you may also enjoy (as I do) other female PI characters such as V.I. Warshawski (by Sue Paretsky); Kinsey Millhone (by Sue Grafton); Car
Barbara
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PI Sharon McCone is nearly killed in an explosion at one of the satellite offices of her husband's high-tech consulting/security company, RKI International. Shaken, McCone decides to investigate after another explosion in Chicago kills another employee and one of the executives goes missing. As with Muller's other novels, McCone is an exceptionally well-written character and the mystery deepens and expands as McCone is forced to re-evaluate her marriage to Hy Ripinsky (the R in RKI) when some de ...more
Julie Burns
I was disappointed in this entry. I agree with the other reviewer that since Sharon has gotten married, and since she has expanded her business into a full-fledged company, the stories have been less interesting. I miss the days when there was more suspense and mystery in the stories and Sharon was a more interesting character. This is still a great series, but I'm tired of the Hy vs Sharon intrigue and would like to see Muller get back to the core of what she did best - create an interesting my ...more
Grey853
Jul 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective
I was disappointed in this addition to the Sharon McCone series. Someone's targeting her husband's businesses across the country. He hires her to find out who it is. The first thing she does is start investigating him and his two business partners. She's not happy with what she finds out about her husband's past and that leads to contention. I didnt think the ending wasn't very plausible.

It was readable, but I didn't like the friction between her husband and herself. To be honest, since Sharon g
Robin
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This McCone mystery grabs at a more visceral level than most and the relationship between she and Hy takes center-stage, which always adds a greater depth and tension. I did not guess the solution as early as usual and one part of the solution was a genuine surprise, always a plus, though the final scenes could have been better had there been a face-to-face interraction between Sharon and the villain she'd been chasing.
Joy
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Marcia Muller has tired of RKI, the sinister international protection agency that has loomed grayly in ten previous books. Now she has a bomber tearing it down in a personal vendetta. Sharon wouldn't mind so much except that her husband is one of the owners whose life is in danger. Very pacey. I felt I could see through the mystery just enough to keep me glued to it, to find out if I was right. I was partly right, and partly completely surprised.
Susan
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had discovered Sharon McCone character earlier, since this is the latest book. I did get the previous 2 on my kindle so I'll enjoy reading them too. I absolutely loved this character and the writer, it was a great book filled with a lot of twists and turns. I have a hardback available if anyone would like it.
Fran
Feb 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans, Marcia Muller fans
Recommended to Fran by: my sister had a copy
I hadn't read a Marica Muller book in a year or two, but this one was pretty good. A bomber is blowing up buildings in Sharon's husband's company and Sharon has to find out why and who. It is pretty entertaining, and although I had guessed who and why he was doing it, I didn't guess his "secret identity."
Jill
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had a slow start for me but I did get into it. I kind of thought more was going to happen but it didn't and that left me a bit disappointed. This is a nother series that has, in recent years, kind of fallen off in my opinion. I think the only thing carrying these books are the characters in them and not the plotlines.
Connie Melton
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy all of Marcia Muller's series with private investigator Sharon McCone. She has written 29 books in this series and is still going strong. I like the steps in the investigation of a murder; I like the eclectic blend of characters and I enjoy the changes in them through out the series.
Shirley
Nov 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Usually I really like Marcia Muller, but somehow this book didn't really grab me. I felt like I could see the same plot line as her other books. While the circumstances were different, it was too easy to predict the timing of the next "crisis."
E
A solid Muller, but not one of her most interesting. While the tension between McCone and Ripinsky is good in this one, the end peters out. Still, Muller on an off day is usually better than most detective writers.
Cyndee
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Muller's writing keeps you right with the story. Towards the middle of the book, though, it seems to me that she gets 2 of the characters mixed up. If anyone else notices, let me know.
Joyce
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time McCone is investigating Rapinski's firm and, in doing so, parts of his past history she did not know about. Their mutual wariness continues throughout the novel and adds to the tension Muller so ably creates. The plot is complex and intriguing, the characters, as always, interesting.
Ann
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good. I read it after Locked In and Burn Out (out of sequence) and I realized why I didn't like those books as much. The point of view switches between characters in each chapter. In The Ever-Running Man, it's classic McCone whose point of view is followed consistently.
Wendy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Sharon McCone mystery. Someone's bombing husband Hy's different offices and kills one of the firm's partners. Sharon's crack team gets hired to find out who & why -- and after many twists & turns, solves the mystery.
Becky
This is another great story by marcia muller. This one involves problems in her marriage and its nice to see how they work out while she is working for her husband and his partners things happen to them.
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)
  • Total Recall (V.I. Warshawski, #10)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • Karma (Jill Smith, #1)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes
  • There's Something in a Sunday
  • The Shape of Dread
  • Trophies and Dead Things

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99