Start by marking “The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Many people did not grow up in a Christian home, and many more do not consider their childhood experience a good model. Robert Wolgemuth presents this inspiring, practical book for people who want to have a Christian home.

So, what's so great about a Christian home? There's redemption. There's forgiveness. There's hope. Laughter and genuine happiness. There's discipline and
Published October 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Important Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Important Place on Earth

Neely
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was OK- I felt it was a bit surface level for families who have already been intentional in setting up a God-centered home. If you are struggling to keep your family diligent in faith matters, this may be helpful.
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian parents
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Kelly
Shelves: parenting, faith
Fantastic book, loved it, definitely recommend it to all parents.
It was humorous, insightful and packed with lots of solid biblical advice given in a casual manner-he said take it or leave as you wish. He told lots of stories (a little too many intro ones in my opinions) but it made it a quick read.
I have several friends who don't like reading parenting books, but I find I need to read them frequently, it helps ground me and remind me of good things to do in my 'job'. I got really mad at the fou
Kelly
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not typically read parenting books, but my brother-in-law and sister-in-law recently gave me this book and I ended up reading it straight through in two days. It has really good, concrete ideas for creating a positive, emotionally safe home for your family and how to live your faith in your family. Not everything was something I needed to read about to know - I already tell my husband and son that I love them multiple times a day- but all the information was necessary because I know not eve ...more
Christina
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2009
I read through this book with a discussion group this summer... and then summer ended and I just finished the last three chapters. This book has made a huge impact on my life and in our home this year- it's full of encouraging and practical ideas on how to have a Christian home that is warm, loving and points others to Christ. The author gives so many great ideas he warns in the introduction you must pick a few at a time to implement and then come back for more.

I will not go into details because
Carolyn
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Felt like I knew him since so much of the book happens in Wheaton and Nashville. Hopefully my life trajectory will also include Orlando. :)

In any case, I liked this book because it seemed so common sense - kind of like what it is - an older Christian just presenting some advice. I want my home to be "a kingdom outpost." I grew up in a home with many spoken and unspoken rules for behavior and it was not a place any of us wanted to bring our friends. I practically grew up in my be
Carolyn
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-book-club
Lots of good ideas and advice about how to have a Christian home. Very practical and biblical.

My main draw-back: I could tell the author was a 60-year-old man speaking to 30-year-old women, particularly by his examples, which felt a bit outdated or unrealistic. (i.e. I wish I'd been his editor.) At the same time, there was something comforting about reading an older father's perspective on creating a Christian home.

In the end, I'm not sure I would have finished it on my own, but it was a good c
Carrie
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
I would give this book a 10 if I could! It provides simple, practical ways to create a Christian atmosphere in your home and ways to "walk the walk". I would highly encourage believers who did not grow up in a Christian home to read this book - it will definitely get you headed in the right direction.
Melinda
Oct 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible! I've loved the practical applications. Read through it with a book club this summer and finished it on my own. We have been implementing many of the suggestions. Our most memorable so far is the ABC memory verse book. My 2 year old has enjoyed this and has almost 26 verses to memory - working on getting the last 3 done before she turns 3:) Highly recommend.
Colleen
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book this summer, and would recommend it to friends with a caveat - there are parts that are legalistic, but the ideas are wonderful. It is encouraging to me that I can create a home where Christ is in the center. I plan to read this book again, as I am sure new parts will be more applicable as my children grow older.
Shannon
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newly weds
A very good overview of what a Christian home is about. We all need reminders and this is one that gives me a that without finger pointing. The author offers exmaples from his own life experiences so we learn along with him.
Emily
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this . . .
Jill
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what I was looking for, but there was no new information here. Most of the info here was how we already live.
Karin Katherine
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book, especially for those parents who didn't grow up in a model Christian home. I read this book again every few years for encouragement.
Peggy
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and practable book about the running of a Christian home. There was nothing much new, but the author put it all together and a good review about what is really important.
David
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was okay and I appreciated much of the good encouragement. It was jammed with personal stories that made it easy to read but it wasn't my favorite family/parenting book.
Monica
I read this one over and over. What a great read!!!!
Lindsey
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish. It felt cheesy and superficial.
Cari
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best parenting book I've read - came highly recommended for good reason. I've read this twice but need to reread it every year so I remember what is truly important in the lives of my children.
MistyMcK
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • The Blessing
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother (Pilgrimage Growth Guide)
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • Big Truths for Little Kids
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens
  • The King Without a Shadow
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • The Tale of a Boy, an Elf, and a Very Stinky Fish (Jackson Jones #1)
  • Scientific Facts in the Bible: 100 Reasons to Believe the Bible is Supernatural in Origin
  • Connecting Church & Home: A Grace-Based Partnership
Robert Wolgemuth graduated from Taylor University (Biblical Literature) and received an honorary doctorate (LhD) from the same university in 2005. He is the author or coauthor of over twenty books, including Men of the Bible, The Most Important Year in a Man’s/Woman’s Life, and the notes to the Dad’s Bible. See website: http://robertwolgemuth.com

More about Robert Wolgemuth...