Start by marking “Georgia Bottoms” as Want to Read:
Georgia Bottoms

Georgia Bottoms

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  3,468 Ratings  ·  612 Reviews
Georgia Bottoms is known in her small community of Six Points, Alabama, as a beautiful, well-to-do, and devoutly Baptist Southern belle. Nobody realizes that the family fortune has long since disappeared, and a determinedly single woman like Georgia needs an alternative, and discreet, means of income. In Georgia's case it is six well-heeled lovers -- one for each day of th ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 335 pages
Published June 1st 2011 by Center Point (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Georgia Bottoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgia Bottoms

Jan
Dec 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lawyer
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Contemporary Southern Literature, Humor
Recommended to Lawyer by: Jake Reiss, owner of The Alabama Booksmith, Homewood, Al
I've read each of Mark Childress's novels since his first, "A World Made of Fire," published in 1984. Born in Monroeville, Alabama, and a graduate of the University of Alabama, Childress is a master at portraying Southern folks. Some accuse Childress of creating stereotypical characters. But the fact is that the original persona existed before being labelled a stereotype.

Childress skewers lascivious preachers,less than upright pillars of the community,and intolerant attitudes in "Georgia Bottoms
Lois
Jun 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do NOT read this book. Don't be fooled by cover blurbs that say "funny" or any synonyms thereto. Granted it was amusing at the very beginning. But it became apparent by the third disk that no plot was going to happen. Scenes were strung together over the coarse of YEARS with Georgia facing some glitches but no REAL trouble.

Various bits (it would be an overstatement to call them threads) are knotted together in the climax in the book, wherein Georgia tells everyone how many guys she's been sleepi
Lucinda Mcintyre
What if Scarlett O'Hara had lived 150 years later - and had to care for her family during hard times in the New South? How would she have financed the upkeep of her crumbling antebellum home and do-nothing relatives? Meet Georgia Bottoms who is clearly not a call girl - since one cannot call her - but a modern day courtesan – perhaps – but also a well respected, church-going member of the community. Mark Childress knows the Southern voice, the sense of humor that thinly covers tragedy, the layer ...more
Kirk Smith
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this hoping for a little humor and was not disappointed. It seemed the first half was establishing the details of Georgia's "system", and from there things moved at a rapid pace. Not quite as shallow as I might expect, there were several moving scenes where Georgia re-establishes a relationship with her son, the one she gave up at birth. I can picture Reese Witherspoon, or perhaps a very young Doris Day as the very charming Georgia. I am not sure everyone would find her as endearing as I ...more
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
There are many reasons to dislike Georgia Bottoms; she gets paid for her dalliances with married men, she is selfish and self-centered, and she has a past that she ran from instead of confronting it. But you can't help like her, because she is also loving, thoughtful, and strong.

The review of this book led me to believe it would be a cute story about a cute Southern town. When it turned out to be more than that, I wanted to drop kick the hardback across the room.

"This is not the book I signed up
Autumn
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Georgia Bottoms has problems. The family fortune is a myth, her mother is slowly succumbing to an Alzheimer's like fog, her brother is a drunk and a petty thief, and her carefully constructed house of adultery cards is starting to tumble down. To top it all off, her illegitimate half African-American son has come back into her life. Did I mention that her best friend (and female mayor of the quaint little town of Six Points) is in love with her? What's a Southern belle to do?

I'd heard how funny
Melodie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-lit
Georgia Bottoms is an aging Southern belle. The wrong side of thirty, keeping up appearances while taking care of her Mama and brother, Georgia has her hands full. Mama is walking in the increasingly dense fog of senility and "Brother" is forever flirting with the law and mental illness.
Keeping up appearances in her little hometown is expensive and time consuming,but Georgia thinks she has the situation well in hand. She has her secret lovers(yes,plural) who are generous,and a quilting busines
LORI CASWELL
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Georgia Bottoms is beautiful, full of southern charm and goes to church every Sunday. She also cares for her elderly mother and sells hand made quilts all around Six Points, Alabama.

But she is also a woman with a secret life. She entertains some of the town's finest male citizens at night. Six different men and each has his particular night of the week and the night is customized to his particular tastes. They have all been trained to leave her a "gift" to help Georgia take care of herself and h
Christa
I feel kind of conflicted about this one--with its intriguing characters, interesting plot, and snappy yet thoughtful writing, I think I should have enjoyed this more than I actually did.

The book is basically about a woman who's obsessed with keeping up appearances in a tiny, behind-the-times Southern town. Georgia is determined to portray a genteel, classy image--a pinnacle of Southern womanhood--while she hides the fact that she supports that appearance through thinly-veiled prostitution. (She
Linda C.
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a slew of mediocre novels lately. When that happens I am usually very annoyed for devoting so much time to something I didn't enjoy. I decided it was time for something out of the ordinary, something light, funny, likeable. I'd been eyeing Georgia Bottoms at the bookstore for awhile. The cover is so cute and besides I have a very dear friend named Georgia. And much to my surprise, when I went to the clubhouse library in the community where I live, to donate all my uninteresting books t ...more
Alan Wells
In many ways this book was an entertaining read or sorts; albeit quick and somewhat light, but I feel short changed by it's lack of character development and credibility. I think the author has a good idea for the character of Georgia - and near the end of this story you realize the potential for this character - however, for most of the book she remains a caricature.

I suppose this book can be viewed as a humorous parody of small town southern culture, and it has some realistic portrayals and di
William
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It gives me great joy to introduce you to Georgia Brown if have not met her yet. The title character of the novel is something of a male fantasy. The book deals with some serious themes, like moral hypocrisy and racism, in a easy to read, light-hearted manner. Although the story takes place in a small town in Alabama, its relevance is socially universal, certainly not restricted to the South.
Thomas Holbrook
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mark Childress is a Son of the South - the south that is educated, Self-aware, unashamed and duly remorseful for its sins. In that culture, one’s “sins” are largely an open “secret,” bizarre behavior is expected, peculiar people are celebrated and Church is a gathering place where the role is kept more for social standing than for being “called up Yonder.” Because Mr. Childress is a native, he is fluent in the language of the South, both verbal and nonverbal, and his stories reflect places of t ...more
Dianne

You are going to need a good sense of humor for parts of this book.
Mark Chidress touched all the southern bases in a somewhat fun way
small southern town, eccentric people, sex, alcohol, the baptist church, racism, southern cooking and he threw in 9/11 for good measure.
I was not sure if I was going to enjoy that part of the story as I read it, but he did pull it off. By the time the 9/11 comes into play you already realize that Georgia is somewhat immature and selfish she also is not a dumb w
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
A seven-drawer locked dresser....one for each day of the week. What is in each drawer?....well, all the things Georgia needs to make her nightly lovers believe they are the only one....pictures of their mother, their favorite clothes, anything to make them feel "special." When one of the lovers' wives finds out about the affair, nothing to do but empty that drawer....oh well......done.

Georgia had enough of this worry for now...she had her September luncheon to think of. She couldn't disappoint t
William
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend lent this book to us, so I read it. Aside from being a fast read, it unfortunately turned out to be pretty much a waste of time. Now, having once lived in Tennessee for a number of years, I generally enjoy fiction with a Southern setting. In fact, this may be the first such novel that I have not liked.

Why? The plot is unfortunately tawdry and to some extent, predictable. If you have heard the old pop song "Harper Valley PTA," you don't need to read this. While there is some humor which
K.E. Garvey
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally love fiction by southern writers, or anyone who has a true grasp of small town southern life. I love Fannie Flagg and had heard good things about Mark Childress, so I bought Georgia Bottoms.

What I liked: Almost everything. I enjoyed the plot immensely. I love Mark's writing and his way of storytelling. The pages turned methodically, no real dead spots or accelerations that left you in the dust... until...

What I didn't like: I think such a wonderful read deserved a better ending. Actu
Alice
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Childress' writing is wonderful. I did laugh out loud several times and smiled through most of the book. Georgia Bottoms is a memorable character who fights every day of her life to "keep the plates spinning," as she puts it. She says she is self-centered and selfish, which is true, although she does take care of her dotty mother and AA-avoiding brother.

I loved the characters in her small Southern town, including the preachers, the law enforcement officers, the nosy ladies--I could see all
Ryan
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. I remember laughing hard when reading Crazy in Alabama years ago, plus have good friends in Alabama so understand the dynamics of small town Southern life. This novel just never reached the level of writing or humor that I expected. There was character development and I felt like I "knew" these characters, but they seemed very broad caricatures rather than deep rooted or multi-dimensional. The main character Georgia is flawed, selfish and not very likable, but I ...more
Kim
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this novel about the sexy, funny, hardworking Georgia would be great; a little humor, some steamy sexcapades, a little drama and I'm satisfied. I can even take a plot twist ( or two ), a teaser and an unhappy ending. However, this novel lost me somewhere in the middle when we decided to jump through approximately four years in something ridiculous ike seven ( or so ) paragraphs.
I also felt like the author was trying too hard to illustrate modern day racism. WE GET IT, Lil mama
Carol
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've liked everything I've read by Mark Childress and this book was no exception. Occasionally verging into farce, Georgia Bottoms was nevertheless engaging, funny, and (very occasionally) moving. Georgia herself is infuriating and likable and this was a quick, fun read.
H-Grace
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Southern Ladies" will chuckle over familiar conversations and recipes. The topics are serious, yet handled with a light touch. This fast-read book is for those who understand that Southern steel magnolias will considering doing most anything to keep the family ancestral home.
Teresa
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect dose of humor and Southern charm for a horrid week! Top-rate character development and sly hints make this one a real page turner. I'd LOVE to see Georgia continue on in a new novel.
Paula
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read about the stereotypical small southern town and its inhabitants. Georgia is a strong,likable woman with the ability to solve her problems with grace and certainty.
Laura Beasley
I give this book 2.5 stars.. It was a fairly cute summer read. Light and funny at times but also times where the language I didn't care for. I would read another book by this author.The book has been described as a comic novel and that is true. Georgia Bottoms is a character and she lives in a very small southern town- no cell phone service- where everyone wants to know each other's business. Georgia has a different fellow every night but takes one night off and when they leave they leave her a ...more
Mary Lamb
I really wanted to like this book, as it was a book club selection. I found that I did not like the main character. She was self-absorbed and shallow. I disliked her for the reasons I disliked Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind. It is just an Okay book.
Georgia Stitt
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes. I'm Southern and I hated this book. So offensive. Not funny. Such stereotypical characters and lazy plotting. I read it in two days and I want those hours back. Also: racism as humor? No thank you.
Barb
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia was a tough southern belle. Just such a cute book. Loved it
Peggy
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't get into this book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #29 - Georgia Bottoms 1 3 Apr 17, 2014 12:44PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Georgia Bottoms 3 5 Aug 14, 2012 05:14AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Georgia Bottoms 1 5 Mar 19, 2012 06:15PM
  • Gone With a Handsomer Man
  • Southern Living
  • Under the Mercy Trees
  • Love in a Dry Season
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)
  • The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way
  • Bound South
  • Some Day You'll Thank Me for This: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Being a "Perfect" Mother
  • Miss Hildreth Wore Brown:  Anecdotes of a Southern Belle
  • The Rock Orchard
  • The Cotton Queen
  • Alligator Lake
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • Salting Roses
  • Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter (Dixie, #1)
  • Backseat Saints
  • Tomato Girl: A Novel
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill
Mark Childress was born in Monroeville, Alabama. He is the author of the novels A WORLD MADE OF FIRE, V FOR VICTOR, TENDER, CRAZY IN ALABAMA, GONE FOR GOOD, ONE MISSISSIPPI, and GEORGIA BOTTOMS. Childress has received the Harper Lee Award for Alabama's Distinguished Author, Thomas Wolfe Award, the University of Alabama's Distinguished Alumni Award, and the Alabama Library Association's Writer of t ...more
More about Mark Childress...