Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:
Misery

Misery

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  442,964 ratings  ·  9,772 reviews
Alternate cover editions here and here.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house.
Published November 1st 1988 by New English Library (first published May 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Misery, please sign up.
Dennis Kenton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
137 books — 3,389 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
55,995 books — 192,762 voters

More lists with this book...

·  442,964 ratings  ·  9,772 reviews

Start your review of Misery
Kate
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how
Kemper
Honestly, who among us hasn’t gotten frustrated with their favorite writer and felt like holding them prisoner while forcing them to write the exact book that we want?

Well, don’t do that because it would be wrong! What kind of twisted freaks are you people?!?

Paul Sheldon is a best selling author who just ended his popular series of romance/adventure novels by killing off the lead character, Misery Chastain. After finishing a new novel at a Colorado resort Paul has a car accident and awakes to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Damn, I can never get over that one scene!!! She's bat sh•t crazy!

Happy Reading!

Mel
Dan Schwent
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To celebrate completing a novel, writer Paul Sheldon goes on a champagne-fueled drive in the Rocky mountains. He winds up in a near fatal car crash, but never fear. He's rescued by Annie Wilkes, his #1 fan...

I watched the film version of Misery in those antediluvian days before Goodreads, hell, before the Internet, and decided to finally read the novel when it showed up on my BookGorilla email one day. It was $2.99 very well spent.

Misery is a tale of obsession, addiction, and obsession. I wrote
Dita
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this, you Cockadoodie Dirty Birdies!
Johann (jobis89)
"I am in trouble here. This woman is not right."

Paul Sheldon, the best-selling writer of the Misery novels, finds himself rescued from a car accident by his number one fan, Annie Wilkes. As the former nurse takes care of him in her home, she finds out he killed off Misery in his latest novel and decides to keep Paul as her prisoner as he writes Misery back to life.

I read a number of Stephen King books pre-bookstagram and pre-goodreads, therefore I have never written a proper review for these
Stepheny

My whole life people have had a hard time handling my obsessive passionate personality. I don’t ever just like things- I’m either completely enamored with it or not all that interested. It’s just how I was made. My obsession with Harry Potter is seen as “excessive” and I’m constantly made fun of for my fondness of it. I get asked “aren’t you a little old for that” almost regularly and I have given up trying to respond because I really don’t feel it necessary to explain myself to anyone.

I am
Anne
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
It took me longer than usual to get into this King book, which was largely down to the writing style. I felt it was different than his usual style (which is the one I adore so much). I had the same problem when reading The Shining. It was just lacking this "special something", and thus, I felt disconnected from the characters until about a halfway through.

However, all the stuff that was happening up until this point still had an effect on me and absolutely terrified me. And then came the big
Julie
Two Sundays ago our family experienced a rather harrowing emergency situation. I'm thrilled to report that tragedy was averted; I'm less excited to share that my arm was broken in the process.

A broken arm is a perfectly acceptable price to pay for a whole family, but it is also a painful pain in the ass. And, because I'm a classic overachiever, I broke my arm in the “most painful way possible,” and I have been relegated to bone broth, limited mobility (to prevent the need for surgery) and left
ALet
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

Stephen King is an author whose books I always enjoy and Misery was not an exception. I really liked the first part of the book, I founded it very compelling and fascinating, others were a little bit disappointing but I still enjoyed reading them. In addition, it was very psychologically heavy book so it took me a long time to read, but on the other hand writing style really fitted the story.

It was good book, but not my favorite.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
me, a week ago: I dunno man I've tried a few King books and collections and maybe they're just not meant for me

also me, a week ago: I'm gonna give Misery a try but I'm not expecting too much tbh

me, now: WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THE OLD GODS DID I JUST READ, WOW

Full review coming soon! Thank you so much to the eternally beloved Ellyn for buddy reading this with me and motivating me to finally give it a try!
Paula
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
After a car accident, bestselling novelist Paul Sheldon wakes up to find himself in the isolated house of Annie Wilkes, his "number one fan". Paul finds out that Annie has been taking care of him. Soon enough, he also discovers that Annie is totally insane. A roller-coaster ride of a story with two completely unforgettable characters that really came to life for me. I really enjoyed being inside Paul's head and knowing his thoughts as he comes to realize the situation he is in. I also thoroughly ...more
AMEERA
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

i can tell this my favourite book of Stephen king so far
emma
a list of things this book was:
- disgusting
- disturbing
- a quick read, surprisingly
- really fond of using sexual assault as a metaphor (cool cool cool)
- harmfully stereotypical in terms of race (the Africa references/setting)
- harmfully stereotypical in terms of gender (so much man-goes-to-work woman-stays-home)
- honestly just pretty hateful toward women??
- all for using the n word without blinking, apparently

a list of things this book was not:
- scary
- all that great of a read for me

bottom line:
Natalie Monroe
Misery was my first ever Stephen King novel.

There I was, an impressionable 14-year-old girl drunk on romances with none-fade-into-black sex scenes. Then my favorite English teacher recommended I read Misery. "Your life will never be the same," he said.

He was right.

Misery is about the kind of fan that loves their chosen celebrity a little too much. Like the man who shot John Lennon. Or stalkers that drive to Miley Cyrus's house with a bouquet of roses and a foam finger. The odd buttons that spoil
Will M.
*I just watched the movie and I can safely say that the book was 100x more enjoyable for me. I didn't like the changes that they did, but the cast was spot on. Couldn't ask for a better Paul and Annie.

-------------

After the two month hiatus from Stephen King, I promised myself that I'm not going to let the fact that he's my favorite author, affect my rating of whatever book of his I'm reading next. I think I've proven myself before by giving Wizard and Glass a 2-star rating, even if it was damn
Sandeep
An intense, graphic, horrifying story that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout it's entirety. I've read a few thrillers this year and let me tell you, nothing comes near this. Not even CLOSE.

He was a writer. She was his number one fan. She’d pulled him out of the car-wreck, brought him home, splinted and set his mangled legs. All he had to do in return was to write a very special book, just for her, all about her favourite heroine from his novels.

There were so many layers to this
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #13: A Book that is Also a Stage Play or a Musical

This was super great! It was suspenseful, and the characters were very vivid. The whole thing was bogged down a tiny bit by the book-within-a-book bits (I'm not as big of a fan of Paul's writing as Annie is lol) and it was less gory than I was expecting, but other than that it was fantastic! Definitely one of my favorite Stephen King books that I've read so far (It is still my favorite at the moment.)

Kayla Dawn
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
It took me AGES (4 1/2 fucking months smh) to read this and I have absolutely no idea why. I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought I would like it even more than I did though.
I had a few problems with King's writing style in this particular book (especially in the beginning) even though I'm normally a really big fan of it.
And I was bored to death every time there were actual parts of "Misery" (the book that's being written by the author in this) to read. I don't know why, I just didn't care for them.

Trudi

(2018 re-read)

(2012 review)
I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less
Ashley Daviau
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading Misery and all I can think about is how I’ve been depriving myself of this masterpiece for years and I’m filled with regret about it. I could have feasted my eyes on the glory that is this book years and years ago! It has officially clawed its way into my top five King stories, it truly is phenomenal! I think Annie has to be one of my favourite King characters I’ve met yet, that is one crazy bitch! And that’s what makes this story so terrifying, there’s no monsters, ...more
Leo .
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ron
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update 1/8/17:

There’s crazy, and then there’s the Mommy, I’m scared crazy. Annie is that second one. She’s the one you don’t want to cross - in any way. Ticking time bombs are called ticking for a reason. At some point, they’re going to go off. But Annie’s like a wasp compared to the honeybee because she’s the bomb that can explode, and explode, and explode. Poor Paul Sheldon. He didn’t even get the chance to avoid the crazy that is Annie. ”I’m your number one fan!” My ass.

Movie confession. Yes,
Celeste
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
October is all about the spooky for me, and King is my preferred supplier. I’ve read roughly a third of his body of work and, while I’ve enjoyed all of them for the most part, most of them have been suitably creepy without actually scaring me. Exceptions to this have been Revival and IT the first time I tried to read it. I can now add Misery to that list. This book legitimately gave me nightmares while I was reading, because, though not probable, every event in the book is actually possible.

For
Mario
The reason authors almost always put a dedication on a book, Annie, is because their selfishness even horrifies themselves in the end.

Goodbye sleep and hello Annie!

I'm certain that my favorite book by King will always be Pet Sematary, but this book came pretty close to changing my mind. And just like I'm sure that Pet Sematary will always be my favorite, I'm also sure that Misery one will always remain my second favorite.

I honestly don't know how King does it. This is, without a doubt, the most
Jojo
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow! What a gruesomely disturbing ride Mr King! I must admit, I watched Misery years ago, and I remember not thinking much of it, as it didn't really make me squeamish. In the case of "Misery" I think the book was better, and it took the term "Fucked up" to a new height.

Although this was a great read, I found I didn't love this as much as Pet Sematary, but it was still classic King writing, and it kept me pretty unsettled, until the very end.

And, talking of unsettled, lets talk about Annie
Carol
A super intense thriller where I could just envision Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes inflicting her horrors on Paul Sheldon; but as scary as the movie was, the book is much more terrifying! Poor Paul endures more than one (view spoiler) that completely surprised me. One of the scariest and best Stephen King novels I've read thus far!
Gabby
I know I have an unpopular opinion on this one, but I thought this was just okay. I have a weird relationship with Stephen King books, I tend to either LOVE them or feel very meh about them, and unfortunately this one left me feeling very meh. The concept of of this book is great, and I love the idea of it: a huge fan of this author finds him in a car wreck and kidnaps him, forcing him to write the next book in a series about a girl named Misery which he has previously ended, and she's forcing ...more
Apoorva
Misery starts off with the best-selling author Paul Sheldon getting into a car accident that wrecks his legs and he’s rescued by Annie Wilkes, a nurse who brings him to her house to ‘take care’ of him.

Annie Wilkes claims she’s the biggest fan of Paul Sheldon who is widely famous for writing sloppy historical romance novel series featuring ‘Misery’ as the protagonist. Annie is obsessed with Misery.

He was Paul Sheldon, who wrote novels of two kinds, good ones and best-sellers.

In order to write
Glenn Sumi
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Misery is one of King’s most popular novels, and now I understand why.

For one thing, the situation is clearly and efficiently set up: best-selling novelist Paul Sheldon is rescued from a car crash by his number one fan, Annie Wilkes, who turns out to be a deeply disturbed ex-nurse who keeps him drugged up on painkillers, hobbled and imprisoned so he can finish the romance series she so adores.

What also makes the book so effective – even if you’ve seen the excellent film version – is how well

• Thinner
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Exorcist
  • The Long Walk
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Dracula
  • The Running Man
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Pelican Brief
  • The Bachman Books
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • The Firm
  • The Omen
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
57 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Writers remember everything...especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he'll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.”
312 likes