Start by marking “Raven (Orphans, #4)” as Want to Read:
Raven (Orphans, #4)

Raven (Orphans #4)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  4,421 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
ALL SHE WANTED WAS AN END TO BROKEN PROMISES....

Her Mama made it painfully clear that she wished Raven had never been born. But even after she was sent to live with her kindly aunt and domineering uncle, humiliating secrets lurked -- and threatened to dash forever Raven's dream of a true home....

Published February 8th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

♥Xeni♥
Raven was the orphan that I felt most disturbed by. Her past seemed to be just one horror story after another, and although we often hear about black-folks troubles, somehow Raven's seemed to lose a bit of that racial coloring as her story progressed.

I remember the details of her story the most clearly, probably because they were just the most horrific. Needless to say, it was moving and I enjoyed glimpsing life so different from mine.
Michelle
Raven hasn't had an easy life. Her single mom is an alcoholic and sometimes drug user. Raven is home alone mostly and takes care of the rundown apartment they live in. She skips school because no one is there to tell her she has to go. When her mom is arrested, Raven is sent to live with her mom's brother, Reuben. An overbearing bully in his own home, his wife and children are terrified of him and his temper. Very set in his ways, he believes Raven is a bad apple, just like her mother. He treats ...more
Fyre.Katz
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vcandrews
pretty good Novella, wanted to beat up Jennifer and the Uncle!
Becky
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Raven” by V.C. Andrews is the fourth and final book in the Orphan Miniseries. What set this book apart from the other three was that Raven is not actually an orphan. We learn early on that her mother is a drug addict and barely pays attention to her daughter. When she gets picked up and thrown in jail, Raven is sent to live with her Aunt Clara and Uncle Reuben. That is when the real nightmare starts for her.

Raven quickly learns that the home she has been brought to is an unhappy one, and that h
Jess
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-teen girls
Ah, the last novel in the "Orphans" mini-series before the group novel, "Runaways". It has been quite the ride with quite the cast of characters. This little book also has the distinction of being the first book I finished in college- hooray! Some real grade-A literary magic right here, folks, I'm definitely on my way. All sarcasm aside, this was a fun little series I wish I would've read when I was younger.

This book is a little different, since Raven was living with her mother and is not withou
Kay
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was glad to read another of V.C. Andrews books. I was not happy with the last one so I moved right into this one. Enjoyable read about the plight of a young girl, Raven, striving for a better life. There are four young ladies facing similar problems in their young lives. I feel the need to read and the desire to find help for them. Now I will be looking for Runaways. This is a full-length novel in which the lives of all four girls come together. I am anxious to read and find they have overcome t ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Katrina
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory
This is the story of a young girl who dealt with a difficult life. Her mother was a drunk who was then sent to jail for using drugs. Her father had left her when she was a child. So she was placed under the care of her uncle who would accuse her of every wrongdoing her cousin would do, and as a consequence would beat her. This novel does a great job portraying the true emotions and feelings Raven felt during these difficult times. The metaphors and similes Andrews used were powerful in all areas ...more
Liz
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The back of the book is misleading, It makes it sound much worse than it actually is.
I liked Raven's character, like Brooke, she actually tried to stand up for herself in some cases. And she seemed much smarter than Janet and Crystal (even though Crystal is supposed to be amazingly smart). Raven was also much harder than any of the other girls even though she was the only one out of the four girls who had "Family", and overall, she had one of the worst scenarios.
It was a good background story
M Strawberry Reviews
Raven has a different feel than the first three since she still has her mom, even though she doesn't know who her dad is. Her mom lands in jail so it's off to live with Uncle. Since this is a mini-story, lots of details that could have been explored - the implication that Uncle had dome something maybe naughty with Mom - were briefly mentioned and then never explored. This series had the potential to have a full and more fleshed out story for each girl, it's too bad that Neiderman decided to cut ...more
Leslie Edwards
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Meghan
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took three failed novels to bring this one full circle. This had everything the others lacked, 3-dimensional characters, a tragic plot line that while it did get completely out of hand (going from bad to worse to extremely worse) was in fact complete with everything a proper story needs. I can only hope that this dragged forward into the next and final book.
Patricia Atkinson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the story of raven whos mother is arrested and put in rehab and runs away and raven has to stay with her mothers brother reuben who feels that raven is a bad seed his own daughter continues to get into trouble and blames it on raven witch only makes her uncle treat her worst..it has a huge conclusion at the end....
Susan
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Raven is a heart breaking tale of a young girl struggling to find value in her life. She is basically abandoned by her mother, by the choices she has made. She is taken into her uncle's home where darkness and secrets prevail. Though Raven is rescued from the situation the ending of the book does leave the reader questioning the fate of the her future.
Joanie
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raven had to go to live with her mother's brother and his family after the mother was arrested and put in rehab and jail! She was abused by her uncle and cousin.
Eventually a foster home was found for her but not before she endured some bad circumstances. A hard life soon became a little easier.
A good and quick down to the point read.
Joy
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Butterfly, Crystal and Brook I was waiting for Raven to be the exact same snooze but they finally changed it up a bit. I didn't enjoy the poor English in the book though. Worth the read when looking for an easy one.
This well she isn't considered an orphan because she has a mother but her mother got in jail for drugs and her uncle has to take her in and he abused her and whipped her with a belt. This caused her to be moved to a foster care orphan home with the first three orphans in the series.
Gabby
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this was the best book out of the 4 girls. I really enjoyed this story. It was sending chills up my spine and I could not put it down. It was pretty dark and I really couldn't think ahead on the book.
Rebecca S. Waddell
Not quite an orphan

Not quite an orphan

Raven is not orphanned in the same manner as the others in this series, but that is good for keeping the series going without covering the same ground.
Melinda
Book was decent. I think it was even more sad than the others because I'm sure this situation happens more than thos in the previous 3 books... Mom is out of the picture - family takes kid in and doesn't treat them as well.
Gwen
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Loved it! Really enjoyed reading it, another great part in the Orphans series.
James
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again a good book to the 5 part Series
Sally
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Trashy but an interesting enough one. I seriously love how godawful the blurbs are as well. Yes, I really read all this crap!
Jon
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a super quick read and the story was interesting, I feel that it can be read by anyone but the story may not be appealing to all readers.
Katie
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poor Raven. I like her as a character, but I felt so bad about everything that she went through. I forgot that I only really like the book that brings the four girls together, Runaways.
Catherine
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I'm waiting for the last book....
April Boulware
it was ok. im wondering whats gonna happen to raven's aunt and cousins and why they didnt throw her uncle in jail for what he did to her.
Amanda Morgan
I read this as a teen and at that time, the characters felt so real, so relatable.
Arwen Fowler-jonsson
This was my favorite of the 4 books in the series. Now I am going to read the last book.
  • The Third Horror (99 Fear Street: The House of Evil, #3)
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Comfort from a Country Quilt: Finding New Inspiration and Strength in Old-Fashioned Values
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Annabelle
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Dishes
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Orphans (5 books)
  • Butterfly (Orphans, #1)
  • Crystal (Orphans, #2)