Start by marking “What If I Had Never Tried It: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
What If I Had Never Tried It: The Autobiography

What If I Had Never Tried It: The Autobiography

What If I had Never Tried It is the first autobiography of arguably the world's greatest motorcycle road racing champion, Valentino Rossi. Certainly he is the greatest in modern times and similarly the best loved. This is the official, personal story: fast paced yet insightful.

Rossi’s record in the motorcycle road racing World Championship is supreme. First in th
Published April 9th 2006 by Motorbooks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What If I Had Never Tried It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If I Had Never Tried It

Start your review of What If I Had Never Tried It: The Autobiography
Rere
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I Loooove him...He is brave, cool n calm..
Jes
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining! If you're not a MotoGP fan, however, this is probably not the book for you. And certainly not for you if you aren't a Rossi fan. (How can you not be a Rossi fan? This is the GOAT we're talking about!)

Because the book is translated, prepare to ignore grammatical issues. In other words, this book should be read for Rossi's candor and insights into the world of MotoGP. Portions of the book covered stories I had already read elsewhere or viewed while watching Faster and Fastest
Thomas
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book. What could have been a really compelling and insteresting perspective read negatively. Rossi, one of the winningest MotoGP riders to compete sounds like a child. I am a huge Rossi fan. But what is in those pages only reinforces that no matter how much money, fame, or prestige you have, there is always something to complain about. Being a champion must be really difficult.

The writing was simple and many times stories were repeated. I couldn't help but hope for
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2016
I have spent the past two MotoGP seasons being completely mesmerized by Valentino Rossi. I really enjoyed this book and his writing style. It felt like we were just sitting around the paddock shooting the breeze. It was exciting getting to know a little more about the man on the 46 and the path he took to get him where he is today.
Sidiq Prihatno
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nice person in or not on track
Chris Lightfoot
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Content great. The most bizarre order, not sequential in the slightest. Nor does it follow any pattern. It seems to jump around all over the place and consequently I found it a difficult read.
Aaron
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a good honest look into Valentino's life both before and during his racing. He's 36 yrs old now and is STILL racing competitively in the top world championship series MOTO GP...amazing.
Zane Grimshaw
When I started this biography I was a little surprised as it starts with Valentino Rossi battling with Max Biaggi at the final corner of Phillip island, the final race of the 2001 MotoGP championship, when I expected it to begin with his childhood, which it does in chapter 4. with the first 3 chapters (70 pages in my version) solely focusing on his decision at the end of the 2003 championship to leave the powerhouse that was Honda (who had won 8 of the last 10 championships) to join the once gre ...more
Sam
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'll warn you now, I'm an avid Rossi fan so this review is probably a little on the biased side...

This is Valentino writing in his own words, telling his own story how he wants to tell it, from his point of view. He pulls no punches and doesn't shy away from the mischief and reckless behaviour he and his friends exhibited during their youth (which makes a refreshing change for an autobiography) or from the changes he has made during his racing career. Each page is packed with R
Vignesh Ravichandran
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a reader of biographies... But this one should be expelled from that list... Great read.. enjoyed a lot... this book brought back lot of memories.. reminded me of his rise and how he conquered the paddock in his early days... Strictly for Valentino Rossi fans or someone who wants to know how a single person brought a lot of attention to the sport with his charisma.. Note: this is a translated book and has lot of grammatical mistakes..
Niranjan Borah
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alokmahajan
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Yo !! I am back. After short exile I am back and kicking. YAY!!

Ok, cutting the cheese and Coming to point. I ordered this book from Flipkart and to be honest, when it arrived I was kind of disappointed since, I was expecting it be a bit thick flooded with photographs and some hot babes!!. Neither thick nor hot babes hmmmm thats bad and the yellow paper jacket makes the matters even worse.

Ok now that was before I had never tried opening the book. I open it , flipped few pa
Ciara
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is Amazing. It has been the best autobiography that I have ever read. It gives you a raw inside into the best Motocyclist in the world. It has the charm and humour that is Valentino Rossi, and I found myself laughing out loud many times. You find yourself in his place and thinking how he thinks whilst riding or just simply looking at a bike. You feel the trapped life of someone famous, the ups and downs of doing something no racer has ever done before (leaving the best team in the worl ...more
Chris
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! But I am a huge Rossi fan, so I am biased. However, this book made me feel I was Valentino's friend and confidant... not a racing fan, so much. I really enjoyed growing up with him, and understanding him in a way I could never hope to do, by watching him on tv. I wouldn't read this book if you only care about the racing. I think anyone could read it and be inspired by his charisma and wit. I hope he does another soon, so we can learn what he's learned on the downside of his career. H ...more
Yvette
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Motorcycle Racing Fans
First things first: I am a huge Valentino Rossi fan. I don't really want to be his best friend, but I love watching him race, and I love to see him win, and I'm fascinated with not only his career, but his openness and candor about it.

Second, I will say that you always have to read a translated book with a grain of salt. Sometimes things just sort of sound funny after translation.

That being said, I didn't enjoy this book as much as thought I would, but I'm really glad that I read it
Andrew Ives
The only sporting autobiography that I've ever read, I originally bought this as a present for someone else. I have only been a MotoGP fan since around the time Rossi joined 500cc, but when this book was laying around, I thought I'd give it a whirl - and I'm glad I did. Although the English is quite obviously a translation, the style of writing is very much like Rossi's style of speaking English - very easy to get along with. Each chapter reads almost like a single book in itself as they are not ...more
Dewi
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: biografi
Rossi, the first entertainer in motosport that i knew. Starting watch him ride, makes me fall in love to the motorsport event. Until now, he still my number one favorite rider.
This book describe the beginning of his career on motosports. From rebelious teenager to one of the phenomenon in MotoGP history. His winning records to 2005(?) season are completed recorded through this book. There are some gossips also (well it is he's saying afterall) about his confrontation with Biaggi (which pre
Ashleigh Falconer
This book was absolutely amazing. Whilst I was reading it I couldn't put it down, and once I'd finished it I was devastated.
Each page was bursting with his personality, and you were lead through the book with a smile on your face. Rossi has a superb sense of humour, and a way with words that compels you to keep on reading.

I would recommend this book to anyone. I'm not a huge fan of MotoGP, but I still enjoyed it immensely.
Denissa
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nita Lugina
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rossi's lovers
Now I know that he's a genuine italian. put friendship on the top of others, trust people easly but dislike them when they betray or offense him. he's quite stubborn, he's a superstitious, he likes anything about stickers...and most of all he's really madly about racing. There's many hillarious moment in his life that caused by his naughty attitude. You guys who loves rossi must read this book :)
Shawn Elkins
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book changed my perspective on a lot of things. Valentino Rossi is my personal hero, and his autobiography tell the story of a young, immature boy turned world champion. Fantastic read with insight into the mind of a racing genius.
Colin Skinner
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a Moto GP fan to enjoy this book but it sure helps. I've been following Rossi since his first foray into the 125cc and this fills in his life up to that point and beyond with some hilarious stories of his exploits. Brilliant read.
Sez Davies
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
as a massive Rossi fan then this was a true eye opener into his world and how he got to motogp.

even if you are not into motorbikes or motogp it is a excellent read to see into the world of motorsport

here's hoping for another autobiography by him
Ralitsa  Koleva
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Before I was avoiding autobiographies like a devil church, but now... These books are inspirational. Probably for the people which are not into that sport this book wont mean a thing, but for me was a joyful ride. I was Vale's fan before, now I will be Vale's fan forever.
Putu The
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
An inspiring book that made me confident to try something new..
The book showed me that we always have a choice.. Life is all about deciding what's the best for our future.. That's why I really like this book...
Sumanth J
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a great read to all the Valentino Rossi Fans and in general the motogp fans..if you are not interested in both then better dont read as most of the characters belong to racing and it would be hard to keep going...Good work Valentino the legend..
Dave Holzer
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a deep read but certainly fascinating for any fan of motorcycle racing. Valentino Rossi is an incredibly talented racer but he's also an incredibly talented showman and has brought a lot of attention to a sport that, in the US at least, is very underrated.
Aaron
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
light, easy, fun (if you like motorcycle racing), read that sometimes feels like rossi is talking stream-of-consciousness, so it can sometimes be repetetive, or slightly out of order, but the events were so much fun it almost felt like a fiction story at times too.
Dian
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned that to be a legend like him needs hard work and it's not easy to climb way up there. He's a great guy.
Jafar Fallahi
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you watch MotoGP you have to read this book.

• Pushing the Limits
  • Road Racer: It's in My Blood
  • Michael Schumacher
  • Dimentica il mio nome
  • Il Re Bianco
  • I Kill Giants
  • Dodici
  • Ce n'est pas toi que j'attendais
  • Kobane calling
  • Guardati dal beluga magico
  • Un polpo alla gola
  • Ogni maledetto lunedì su due
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Residenza Arcadia
  • Seoul
  • Le avventure rossobrune di Ego Fuffaro
  • The Sports Book: The Sports. The Rules. The Tactics. The Techniques
  • La profezia dell'armadillo
Valentino Rossi is an Italian professional motorcycle racer and multiple MotoGP World Champion. He is one of the most successful motorcycle racers of all time, with nine Grand Prix World Championships to his name – seven of which are in the premier class.
“Luck is one thing. It has always been there, it has always been a part of my success. It's a part of everyone's success. Without it, you can't be successful. But luck is something you have to stimulate, something you have to nurture through the choices you make...That's why things have always worked out for me. Things work out not just because I'm lucky, but because I plan ahead. I figure out what I want and I go for it. I've always spent a lot of time trying to surround myself with the right people, the kinds of teammates who could lead me to my goals.” 11 likes