Start by marking “Permanent Ink” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Permanent Ink

Jaime Samms

Permanent Ink

*This edition is out of print*

Eric has gone through life putting a lot of store in outward appearances, so when his best friend Angel's cousin, Dwayne comes along, with his tattoos and body piercings, Eric is sure there's a story behind all that armor. He's equally sure it's a story he doesn't care to hear. He's already written Dwayne off as a thug and player.

Finding out t
Published February 2011 by Pink Petal Books

To ask other readers questions about Permanent Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permanent Ink

SheReadsALot
A Hearts On Fire Review

TWO HEARTS--The re-release of Permanent Ink by Jaime Samms is a short story that features a very quick pairing between white college basketball player Eric and black tatted/pierced ex-con Dwayne. Eric's best friend is Dwayne's cousin, Angel, meaning they knew of each other but never formally hung out. Eric judges Dwayne based on his outward appearance, assuming the worst. Though Dwayne doesn't help Eric's preconception in the beginning of the short when he brags about his
Ezinwanyi
This book pushed some buttons for me. The blurb made it sound like an intriguing interracial romance, but it ended up being a story with cliché characters overcoming their prejudice to find love.

It starts off with Eric, judgmental basketball player who assumes his best friend Angel’s tattooed roommate and cousin is a thug. Eric is a white college student from a middle-class family whereas Angel and his cousin Dwayne are from the projects and come with all the baggage that often come with hood li
Karen
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mm
Short story = short review

Ok this book clocked in at 69 pages on my e-reader (kid you not) to say that I was disappointed when I discovered that less than 50 (47) of them were dedicated to the story and the rest were promos for other books is a gross understatement. I was really getting into the story and starting to like these two men, wanting to know more and wham that's it we're in for the fast wrap up and they all lived happily ever after...story time is over.

So I would have honestly liked
Kassa
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This short story plays off a minor character from “Goodbye Scrooge.” You don’t need to read the previous book at all as there is little to no cross over. Instead this new story focuses on giving a happy ending to an odd couple. The writing is decent and the story has all the right elements: complex characters, minor tension, a graphic sex scene, supporting friends, and so on but it never came together for me. Instead I finished the story glad it was over and not particularly caring for the main ...more
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Permanent Ink by Jaime Samms, released by Dreamspinner Press, is a second edition, I haven’t read the first one so I’m not sure how much or if it was revisited. I usually like what the author writes so I was really curious about this new to me novella. Plus “opposite attracts” is a trope I truly love in my books.

I found Permanent Ink to be a good story. The characters were well developed considering the length of the novella, just sixty pages. I particularly liked the secondary charac
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars.

Jaime Samms is a new-to-me author, and I felt reading a short story was the best way to see if the author and I were a good fit. I like well-written short stories and novellas, because sometimes I don't feel like wading through 400+ pages for an entire story, and Permanent Ink was a solid choice.

Eric is a basketball player from an affluent family. He feels trapped within his parents' ideals, as does his brother the read
Serena Yates
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, read-2017
Prejudice is a terrible thing because, among other problems, it prevents people from seeing the person beneath the stereotype. Eric faces a particularly nasty form of it in this story: he is not even aware that his distrust of his best friend’s cousin, Dwayne, is based in a racial perception Eric doesn’t believe to be part of his world view. This is the story of Eric waking up to the truth of his mistaken perceptions, and his journey toward a more honest, accurate view of Dwayne.

Eric may resent
Amy Dufera
3.5 Stars

Jamie Samm's Permanent Ink is an interesting opposites attract romance which delves into some tough topics.

It definitely explores the idea of first opinions, race, bigotry, and more. Eric found Dwayne attractive, but was also very scared of him. The beauty of the story is that the Dwayne the world sees is nothing like the true Dwayne.

As the world sees an ex-con, and the bad boy with the dark skin, tattoos and piercings, that is not at all who Dwayne is. As we learn more about Dwayne and
Feliz
Short and so sweet. A white middle-class college basketball player gets a healthy dose of reality from his best friend's working poor irresistible black cousin. The way those two find each other despite all odds is heartbreaking to watch, and the growth they both go through over the few short pages of this novella is remarkable. A beautiful read.
Marbea Logan
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
If their could've been more to this truly a full length novel. If only the author used their imagination more, this could've been a awesome story. But it was short and good,even for the lack of substance in between.
Jillian Byrd
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too short

It felt too short. It was so good and I wanted more. Hopefully we can get a second book so I can see how they end up.
Janice
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. Developed characters and story.
Walford
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This shouldn't have interested me at all, but it is So Well Written I was completely engaged. Just have to check out her other stuff...
MyzanM
Sort and a bit confusing.

Eric was really hard to connect to and even like. Dwayne was equally hard to connect to, but slightly more likeable.
Nin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Felt like an excerpt from a longer book rather than a complete story. Had trouble connecting to the characters until the last chapter.
Tina
Permanent Ink by Jaime Samms is a very good start to a story. I did not feel this one really was a full story, but more of a snippet of these character's lives. I would have loved this one more if it had slowed down and really let me into the minds of the characters.
Eric as he is written in this story he is very shallow. He sees the surface of things and that includes people. His light bulb moment about Dwayne really to me was a disrespect to Dwayne himself. I do not believe this character real
Les Joseph
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jaime Samms is one of my auto-buy authors. She writes her stories in such a way that I am ALWAYS captivated and thoroughly invested in her characters. From rock stars to ballet dancers to troubled boys, Jaime hasn't let me down yet. I read Permanent Ink ages ago, and loved it, but when I saw it was being re-released--with a GORGEOUS new cover--I knew I wanted to read it again. And boy am I glad I did. I forgot how utterly fantastic Eric and Dwayne are and how much I enjoyed their story.

As a nov
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
You know a man is irresistible when just looking at him makes your ass twitch. Such is Eric’s dilemma. He has a lust crush on Dwayne, his best friend’s cousin but isn’t sure that Dwayne’s flirting really means anything. When the two are finally thrown together and take advantage of the obvious chemistry Eric is forced to deal with some real issues. Dwayne may just the one man Eric can’t run away from.

Permanent Ink offers two complex men that shouldn’t be together but fit anyway. Eric is a minor
JoAnna G
This is the first book I have read by this author. I had no idea the writing style or anything of that nature. I went in completely blind and didn’t even read the summary. That being said this was an ok book. I say that because is was over before it really started. Thought i was getting roughly 70 pages. I think maybe more like 50.

This is really hard to review because I felt like it was rushed and not a complete story. I was starting to get into it and it was over. I want to say Eric is likeable
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
An enjoyable romance marred by editing errors - I read the sample from Amazon before buying this but assumed that the strange spacing on the page was just a glitch in the sample. It isn't and it does get a little distracting.
I really liked Dwayne as a character and the whole scene where Eric wakes up on his friend's sofa/couch, badly hungover and wincing at the sunlight - that took me right back to my student days :) The romance is well written and I liked the characters - if it wasn't for the e
A Girl Has No Name
Enjoyable short story with an unfortunately rather bad cover! During the whole story I had the feeling that everything is happening a bit too fast to actually feel real. I would have liked to get a deeper insight into the main characters life.
Tailtiu
Dec 16, 2012
Jaymie
Jan 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
With most of the hours in the day taken up by a part time job and the full time occupation of raising and schooling two kids, writing is somewhat of an indulgence, but it's the indulgences that keep us sane, right? When not otherwise occupied, like most writers, reading is my relaxation method of choice, and you can find my reviews at Kuriousity.com and Dark Diva Reviews to let you know what I lik ...more