Start by marking “The Hidden Jewel” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Jewel

The Hidden Jewel (Trailblazer Books (Chronological))

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From the moment he and his mother arrived from England, everything about India shouted adventure to fourteen-year-old John Knight. Crowds of people swarmed in the streets, temple elephants paraded about, monkeys scolded at passers-by--this was easily the most exciting place John had ever been. If only his father, a British government official sent to south India in 1909, w ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Jewel

Karen
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Will start reading this chapter book early for CC1 wk7 our study on India..krb 10/14/15
Catherine Gillespie
We will be learning about Amy Carmichael during the first couple of weeks of school (which starts August 3 for us!) so Hannah and I pre-read The Hidden Jewel, a biography of sorts that mixed some fiction in with real events from Carmichael’s life in India. I didn’t try to read this one aloud because we’ve had mixed results from this series, but I thought it was fine from a personal reading perspective. The pictures, as with all of the books in this series of missionary biographies, are terrible. ...more
Christine
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun series for the kids to read. They're short and provide some interesting information about some historical figures although it's a fictional story line. I think they're good read alouds if you're looking for something quick, interesting, and filled with situations to talk about faith and decision making. We'll continue with the series. I also like that each book in the series stands alone. No worries about having to read them in order.
hhhhhhhhh
Good thing whitey shows up to protect Hindu girls from child marriage, thank God for the British, pip pip, let's Save the Pagans.

The most glaring error was the Indian couple who wear white at their wedding, the color for mourning.

Stereotypical portrayals, although the writing style isn't bad.
Heather Hartman
I liked this biography, because it really focused on an event on Amy Carmichael's life and those that surrounded her. So it was not like reading the same stuff I had already read. It was an more of an in depth account of a certain period. I read it for a girls book club I am doing with my oldest and enjoyed the vivid picture it painted of India and her culture.
Kristen
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story but I wish it had more real people in it rather than the fictional story of the boy as the narrator.
I will be looking for more information on Amy Carmichael as well as sharing this book with my children.
John Yelverton
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A decent historical fiction book about Amy Carmichael and her missionary work.
Cassie
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun to read to the girls. The children enjoyed learning about Amy Carmichael and the culture of India. This was a well written story, and we look forward to reading other Trailblazer books.
Hannah Rodes
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book I'm not sure if I should review cause I read it right after like my favorite series and compared it to the series. but I do like the book
Jessica
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jessica by: goodreads
See the first book in the series (Spy for the Night Riders) for a full review.
Joshua inoma
Jan 01, 2008 rated it liked it
nice
Reader
An english boy helps Amy Carmichael rescue an indian girl named Jewel from being forced to become a child bride(a child forced to mary an adult).
Alice
Madix
Sep 19, 2016
Stephanie
Feb 14, 2010
  • The Spell of the Crystal Chair (Seven Sleepers: The Lost Chronicles, #1)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods, #1)
  • Mandie and the Mysterious Bells (Mandie #10)
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • St. Bartholomew's Eve: A Tale of the Huguenot Wars
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • Millie's Remarkable Journey (A Life of Faith: Millie Keith #3)
Dave and Neta Jackson are a full-time husband/wife writing team who have authored and co-authored many books on marriage and family, the church, relationships, and other subjects. Their books for children include the TRAILBLAZER series and Hero Tales, volumes I,II, III, and IV. The Jacksons make their home in Evanston, Illinois.
More about Dave Jackson...

Trailblazer Books (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Spy for the Night Riders