Start by marking “Someday” as Want to Read:
Someday

Someday

Someday I am going to be

a great artist.

Today

I am off to help my dad

paint the shed.

It’s hard to be content with the present moment when you are little. The future has infinitely more possibilities!

Here, the prolific and poetic Eileen Spinelli offers us the opportunity to truly enter the mind and heart of a little girl whose dreams reach well beyond today. With Spinelli’s gi
Published May 10th 2007 by Dial Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Someday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someday

Erin Richards
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Used this book to teach a lesson on similes.
Alice
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have read two books today called "someday" Weird I know.
I have also read a stream of 4 star books. Wow!
This books is about having dreams, but doing what you can right now, even as a child to make those dreams come true.
I like the pictures, I like the message and story!

What a nice sister to sleep on the bottom bunk with her younger brother who is scared. I would let my brother go sleep with mom and dad or to suck it up... :-)
Josiah
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I would probably give this two and a half stars. Since I am such a big Jerry Spinelli fan, I was excited to read Eileen's picture books when I first came to them, and was in no way let down by the depth she fits between two covers separated by so few pages. I was especially surprised by the honesty of feeling in this story. Someday is excellent.
Jessica
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent book comparing the reality of every day things to someday--how and what you'd love to do!

Students could write their own someday books!

Detailed sentences would be a good model for students. Some day I will dig for dinosaur bones. Deep in a field where once a farmer grew corn and chickens scratched.
Valleri
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Both my children and I LOVED this book! A very endearing story of a little girl who has big dreams. I love a good book that teaches young girls that not everyone is a princess and a person doesn't need another person to validate their existence. Travel! See the world! Be your own YOU!
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a dreamer's book! Love the two sides to her dreaming.
Gayle Swift
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summer offers a break in routines, a chance to explore, relax, have adventures and spend time with family and friends. Kids can daydream, play, enjoy hobbies and use this break to discover things about themselves, their world and the people around them.

"Someday" by Eileen Spinelli and illustrated by Rosie Winstead strikes a dreamlike tone through its delicate collage illustration. Using a classic style of repetition, Spinelli highlights the broad possibilities pairing various Somedays and Today
Briana
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This review is also posted at Pages Unbound Book Reviews.

Summary: A little girl dreams of all the things she will experience and accomplish someday.

Art: The illustrations are very bright, open, and appealing. With a medium level of detail, they depict a wide-eyed and dreamy girl who is accompanied by a cat on every page. Readers can will have fun looking for the cat, watching the girl’s changing hairstyle, and seeing all her dreams come to life.

Review: Someday is an optimistic read written in a
Bethany Mcguirk
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Spinelli, E. (2007). Someday. New York, NY: The Penguin Group.

Picture Book Soak (one more that caught my attention)

This picture book is told from the perspective of a young girl who thinks about all the things she will do one day and compares them to all the things she is doing right now. Written in a poetic form, the main character shares all her hopes and dreams and seems to be wishing for the future, but in the end, she recognizes happiness in the present. I thoroughly enjoyed this story bec
Mary
Feb 07, 2016 added it
This book is different from the others I have read today. It was a good read but not my favorite. It is more complex and uses your imagination more. I think this is good for students to read books that can expand their imagination. I was most drawn to the illustrations in this story. They were very complex for a children's book. I think children would enjoy sitting and looking at them. Something that was most powerful to me was how the little girl used her current life to prepare for her future ...more
Debbie Smith
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A little girl fantasizes about the future. She imagines what might happen Someday. Someday she's going to paint on the beach wearing a smock. A rich person will offer to buy her painting for two million dollars, but she won’t sell. She will gift it to her art teacher. But Today she will help her dad paint the shed. She might even paint her bike.  Someday she will make friends with a dolphin, but Today she will feed her goldfish named Pumpkin.

Cons:   I wasn’t that taken by the illustrations.

Pros
Linda
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A young girl imagine wonderful things about what she will be “someday” and then Spinelli also lets us see the reality of the girl’s life in contrast. For example, she dreams that someday she will ‘make friends with a dolphin and call her Wilma, who will tell her all the secrets of the sea.’ In her life, she shows off her goldfish, gives it a sprinkle of food, but he doesn’t say anything, just blows bubbles.” Illustrations are beautifully full water-color pages, rather cartoon-like, and the colo ...more
Alexa Maring
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
A beautiful book alternating between the present and the future. What I love about this book is the young girls dreams. Whenever the "someday" is being voiced, the events are more extravagant and dreams, but when the "now" is being voiced, standard daily activities are expressed. This would be a great way for students to express their future dreams, while also sharing what they do on a daily basis. I love how the illustrator depicted the reality and the dream states in this book. The colors in h ...more
Melanie
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute story of a young girl who has many dreams for the future but recognizes that she has to get through today first. Ideas for what she wants to do in the future are paired up with actions she can take now. For exampel, "someday" she will be an Olympic gymnast, but today she can work on her cartwheels.

The illustrations are a little off putting. In some pictures the girl's eyes look very strange. In other pictures, I couldn't tell what I was supposed to be looking at. Sigh...
Megan M
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely PRECIOUS book! Everything about "Someday" made me smile. It's a story about a young girl with a big imagination, never held back by the mundane events of her day. Digging for change in the sofa becomes digging for dinosaur bones and lunchtime with her messy brother becomes tea at the White House. The artwork is lovely and I will be looking out for more books by both the author and illustrator in the future.
Kathryn
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A cute little story (at times, the pictures are almost "too" cute but overall I found them charming) about a girl who dreams of having tea with the president someday (even if right now she has to eat with her messy brother!) or digging for dinosaur bones (even if right now she is digging around in the couch for spare change to buy an ice cream come). Fun juxtaposition of Someday vs. Right Now and a nice range of interests the little girl would like to have when she grows up.
Margaret Owen
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My four-year-old says: (What made it so good?) The jellybeans! (What else did you like?) The food that they have at their tea party. The dinosaur skull. The goldfish. I like that pretty dolphin. And I like the cat. And I love her painting. And I like her red dress. I recommend it to everyone in the whole wide world!

These are the sorts of dreams that my daughter and I both enjoy:-)
Katherine
I love, love, love this book! It inspired me to just keep finding more books to read after I was done with my stack at Borders. This book is so uplifting and has the most beautiful illustrations. This inspiring little girls shows how you can be anything you want and you need to believe in yourself to accomplish anything or anyone you want to be!
GREAT READ!
Romelle
Each page is a poetry in prose about a little girl with big dreams. Each page alternate between her dreams, which start of with "Someday..." and the present. Love this book. It encourages children to think about their aspirations. Sweet and fun.

SOMEDAY by Eileen Spinelli would make a great birthday gift.
WKWyverns
Shared on the second day of school to get us thinking about what some of our future goals will be. Many of the Wolfhounds want to be professional athletes or Olympians. We will revisit this book two more times this year to help us stretch our thinking about future goals. We also wrote and illustrated a "Someday" page that will be hanging on our wall.
Destinee Sutton
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My first impression is that this is the kind of children's book that seems aimed at adults. It's romantical, poetic, and almost feels nostalgic.

But, you know, I could see a little girl (maybe 5-9) really loving this book. It's fun to imagine all the crazy things you may get to do when you grow up (ugh, now I'm thinking about that Pussycat Dolls song).
M Lee
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The girl in the story talks about her big dreams, such as in someday she will win an Olympics gold medal and have lunch with the President. At the same time, she reflect back on her very normal down-to-earth life. The ending is superb: it shows that while the girl continues to dream big, she is mindful that success begins with small steps and she enjoys these moments.
Mary
This book is incredibly inspirational. The little girl dreams of all of the things that she wants to do someday and then compares them to what she is doing now. I think, as adults, we sometimes lose that sense of wonder and possibility, and it is nice to remember it in the pages of a children's book. The poetry is lovely!
Flora
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gaga
A little girl (well, she's bigger than me) daydreams about all the important things she will do someday while she's also enjoying the present. The words are really beautiful and parts are funny, too. I really like the drawings, especially the little girl's face and eyes.

Chris
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book! Love Eileen Spinelli! Great ideas...great details....great writing prompt. A girl fantasizes wix different things that might happen to her “someday,” then shows the current happening that prompted each thought.
Ana
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Jerry Spinelli wrote one of my favorite YA novels; his lovely wife wrote one of my favorite picture books. Loved how Rosie Winstead's illustrations beautifully complimented Eileen Spinelli's poetic story.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely story about a girl's dreams for the future and how they are connected to her life right now. This is a wonderful celebration of imagination and could prompt an interesting writing assignment or school library bulletin board.
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Christmas gift for the niece. Delivers the "girls can do anything!" message with great vigor and little subtlety. But the illustrations are nice, and the message is important enough that I'll forgive the heavy-handedness.
Joy
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute read of a little girl, talking about her "someday", which is followed by her future aspirations, as well as her "today", which are her daily goals that she has set for herself in the meantime. Will test this book out on my sons to see if they'll like it
Heidi-Marie
This is a cute story of a girl who dreams of doing things someday, but for now does her noraml, every day things. A good read for little children who have the world open to them, even though growing up is so far away. Some cute pictures that will keep the child interested.
« previous 1 3 next »

• My Name Is Not Isabella
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • What You Know First
  • Helen's Big World (Big Words): The Life of Helen Keller
  • My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius
  • Titanicat
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • The Numberlys
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Happy
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.