Start by marking “Sheba” as Want to Read:
Sheba

Sheba

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,276 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Jack Higgins's most exciting novel of World War II intrigue since his smash bestseller The Eagle Has Landed.

The lost Temple of Sheba is not just a biblical legend.

A German archaeologist has found it. The Nazis have claimed it.

And one American explorer has stumbled upon their secret--a plot that could change the course of World War II...

The year is 1939. An American archaeo
Published January 1st 1995 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Sheba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheba

Jean
A friend gave me a box of books to read and pass on. The only book in the box I had not read was “Sheba” by Jack Higgins. So, I sat down to enjoy it. I have read a number of Higgins’ books and have enjoyed them. Higgins is a British writer.

The book is about Nazis, an archeologist and the Suez Canal. It is a World War II action novel. The book is well written and fast paced. The first part of the book has more description and a great build up to the second half which has lots of action and suspen
Martin Hill
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good WWII thriller. I grew up on Alistair MacLean gems like The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare. One of my favorite novels in this genre is Jack Higgins The Eagle Has Landed, the classic story of a Nazi attempt to kidnap British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

In Sheba, Higgins returns to the WWII thriller in this story about a Nazi attempt to destroy Britain's life line to its eastern colonies, the Suez Canal, on the first day of the war. To do so, they use a German archeologi
Anna
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this book and couldn't finish it. It was a cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. Unfortunately, the characters were all pretty one-dimensional and adhered close to stereotype. I'll try more of his novels as I know he is highly regarded, but this was just not for me.
Ronald Ward
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent adventure that becomes addictive as the plot unfolds. Set in the context of WW2 gives some credibility to the events. If you like archaeology you will enjoy it.

Not as fast paced as Raiders of the lost ark but along the similar lines. Main character has a good morals. Nothing seedy.

Recommend it for younger boys.
Laura Poppenwimer
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
During WW II the lost temple of Sheba is found by a German archaeologist but Hitler has other plans for this discovery to help win the war. A US archaeologist vanishes when visiting the area and his wife hires a boat captain who is also an archaeologist to find her husband. The trail is filled with danger and many times were their lives threatened. It is a fast paced book, a bit hard to put down. Just when it all seems hopeless it all comes to an exciting and satisfying conclusion.
sarg
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Well this read like a screen script for a Humphrey Bogart movie. WWII movie where Germans are plotting to blowup the Sues canal. Our hero along with a beautiful local girl spoil the plot and our hero rides off On a camel with the beautiful native girl. The end .This was a mediocre read gave it three stars
OJASWINI
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having already read " The Edge Of Danger" by Jack Higgins, I preferred Sheba. It turned out to be a wonderful action adventure. Gavin Kane, our hero is no less than Indiana Jones. This plot is set during the second world war with Hitler, the Fuhrer planning to attack Poland. In order to prevent the English to help Poland, the Fuhrer plans to attack the Suez Canal. It is during that period that Muller finds out an ancient temple of Sheba. Hans Ritter device a plan to bomb the Suez Canal using Cat ...more
Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw
An okay WWII thriller about an archeologist caught up with Nazi spies plotting to disrupt the Suez Canal from a desert in the Middle East. It is amazing how many times the hero gets left with no water in the desert and survives. Apparently one should never underestimate an archeologist.
Chris L
Good, but not his best.

This was written e n before Higgins hit his stride with Charles Ferguson , Sawn Dillon and others. Slow in developing but plenty of the action scenes Higgins is known for.
Kevin Reeder
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating tale that ties antiquities with a great story

Amazing story line with multiple twists I didn’t see until they were on me. Kane is quite a explorer and surpasses all you can ever imagine before getting caught again.......
KLEE BETHEL
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Higgins Sheba

I kept forgetting who the author was as I read. The storytelling was as good as the Sean Dillon books but fresh and new.
আহসানুল হক শোভন
"তেমন ভালো লাগে নাই" - এইটাই রিভিউ!
June Booth
Cerebral chewing gum.
Brian
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Felt like just another Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I don't know what the chronology is, but it's a "type" that to me has been done many times, and sometimes better.
Bert Plants
Not his best

Very disjointed, and difficult to get into. Strange plot, weak characters. Quick read though, so the pain ends fairly quickly.
Book-a-neer
Easy read. Would have liked to have more info on Sheba and the places & culture of the people described in the novel.
John Marsh
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Cheryl (Bored in Vernal)
Well, I'm a sucker for a novel about an archaeological dig. I subscribe to BAR and I really will have to spend a summer in the field one day. Until then, I pick up as many of these tales as possible. I'm not sure what attracts me. There's nothing too deep in this one, and it's quite formulaic. The desert sands, the strong and intelligent protagonist, the touch of romance, the quest for the long-lost temple of Sheba, they're all there. Good summer reading for around the pool.
Bob
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A 1995 Higgins I came across. A Nazi plan to blow up the Suez Canal at the same time they move in to Poland. Plot foiled in Indiana Jones fashion by an American Expatriate archeologist and friends. Desert chases captured by desert Arabs, women to rescue and the lost temple and treasure of the Queen of Sheba. Non stop action for an afternoons read.
David K
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, thrilling adventure in the true style expected of this author. One of his better WW2 reads. Great plot and all round characters. Higgins is the best in this genre. Tells the story without padding it out. I'd recommend anyone looking for an adventure story to read this book.
Rickhow
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I really liked it. If you are a fan of an Indiana Jones type of book with adventure, nazi's, hidden treasure, etc,then you will just like this book as much as me. This was a fun quick read. Don't miss it.
Jim
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story (plot)
Terry Callister
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
An old fashion "Boys Own" adventure story first published in 1994, but none the worse for that, if you like stories where men are men then this is for you.
Haoning
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
quite predictable but overall good for a quick read
Tamara
Nov 10, 2011 added it
Shelves: own
I really tried to read this book and thought it would be very interesting but in the end I could not get past page 72 and had to call it quits.
Casey Kelsen
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a fun read.It was like an Indiana Jones movie in a lot of ways.
Kalyani414
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
a quick read..
Jan
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Good old-style Jack Higgins.
Scott Vout
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Higgins is the master
Anthony Couch
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not for me.
  • The Fourth Order
  • Death Force (Death Force, #1)
  • Firefight
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • The Last Spymaster
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • The Shadows of Power
  • Ice Reich
  • Combat
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • XPD
  • Fox Hunt (Lachlan Fox, #1)
  • Mirage
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan