Start by marking “Sheba” as Want to Read:
Sheba

Sheba

Jack Higgins's most exciting novel of World War II intrigue since his smash bestseller The Eagle Has Landed.

The lost Temple of Sheba is not just a biblical legend.

A German archaeologist has found it. The Nazis have claimed it.

And one American explorer has stumbled upon their secret--a plot that could change the course of World War II...

The year is 1939. An American
Published January 1st 1995 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Sheba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheba

Start your review of Sheba
Jean
A friend gave me a box of books to read and pass on. The only book in the box I had not read was “Sheba” by Jack Higgins. So, I sat down to enjoy it. I have read a number of Higgins’ books and have enjoyed them. Higgins is a British writer.

The book is about Nazis, an archeologist and the Suez Canal. It is a World War II action novel. The book is well written and fast paced. The first part of the book has more description and a great build up to the second half which has lots of action and
Chris
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun Raiders of the Lost Ark type adventure read. Great escapism. Originally written in 1963 when Higgins was writing as Hugh Marlowe and this updated edition fleshed out in 1995. Very enjoyable, despite some stock characters. Set during WWII.

An exotic locale, smuggling, archaeology, and Nazi's. How does the invasion of Poland, a plot to blow-up the Suez Canal and a search for the temple of the Queen of Sheba come together? Higgins tries to pull it off but the scheming and search for a lost
Cheryl (Bored in Vernal)
Well, I'm a sucker for a novel about an archaeological dig. I subscribe to BAR and I really will have to spend a summer in the field one day. Until then, I pick up as many of these tales as possible. I'm not sure what attracts me. There's nothing too deep in this one, and it's quite formulaic. The desert sands, the strong and intelligent protagonist, the touch of romance, the quest for the long-lost temple of Sheba, they're all there. Good summer reading for around the pool.
Martin Hill
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good WWII thriller. I grew up on Alistair MacLean gems like The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare. One of my favorite novels in this genre is Jack Higgins The Eagle Has Landed, the classic story of a Nazi attempt to kidnap British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

In Sheba, Higgins returns to the WWII thriller in this story about a Nazi attempt to destroy Britain's life line to its eastern colonies, the Suez Canal, on the first day of the war. To do so, they use a German
Ronald Ward
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent adventure that becomes addictive as the plot unfolds. Set in the context of WW2 gives some credibility to the events. If you like archaeology you will enjoy it.

Not as fast paced as Raiders of the lost ark but along the similar lines. Main character has a good morals. Nothing seedy.

Recommend it for younger boys.
Anna From Gustine
I really didn't like this book and couldn't finish it. It was a cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. Unfortunately, the characters were all pretty one-dimensional and adhered close to stereotype. I'll try more of his novels as I know he is highly regarded, but this was just not for me.
Caroline
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm fast running out of Jack Higgins books to read. I'll have to start reading them again.
I loved Sheba. At first, I thought it was going to run along the same lines as The Eagle Has Landed, but the story took a different route to its conclusion.
Nazis, ancient treasure, skulduggery and the inevitable love interest for the main male character all came together in a really fast paced World War Two adventure.
Hitler wants the Suez Canal put out of action on the same day as the Panzers roll into
Laura Poppenwimer
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
During WW II the lost temple of Sheba is found by a German archaeologist but Hitler has other plans for this discovery to help win the war. A US archaeologist vanishes when visiting the area and his wife hires a boat captain who is also an archaeologist to find her husband. The trail is filled with danger and many times were their lives threatened. It is a fast paced book, a bit hard to put down. Just when it all seems hopeless it all comes to an exciting and satisfying conclusion.
sarg
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Well this read like a screen script for a Humphrey Bogart movie. WWII movie where Germans are plotting to blowup the Sues canal. Our hero along with a beautiful local girl spoil the plot and our hero rides off On a camel with the beautiful native girl. The end .This was a mediocre read gave it three stars
OJASWINI
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having already read " The Edge Of Danger" by Jack Higgins, I preferred Sheba. It turned out to be a wonderful action adventure. Gavin Kane, our hero is no less than Indiana Jones. This plot is set during the second world war with Hitler, the Fuhrer planning to attack Poland. In order to prevent the English to help Poland, the Fuhrer plans to attack the Suez Canal. It is during that period that Muller finds out an ancient temple of Sheba. Hans Ritter device a plan to bomb the Suez Canal using ...more
Chris L
Good, but not his best.

This was written e n before Higgins hit his stride with Charles Ferguson , Sawn Dillon and others. Slow in developing but plenty of the action scenes Higgins is known for.
Pennie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had never read anything by this author so thought I should give it a try. Found this book at a yard sale. It was interesting and I enjoyed the historical information contained in the story. The time period is WWII and I have not read many books set in this time period.
Kevin Reeder
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating tale that ties antiquities with a great story

Amazing story line with multiple twists I didn’t see until they were on me. Kane is quite a explorer and surpasses all you can ever imagine before getting caught again.......
Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw
An okay WWII thriller about an archeologist caught up with Nazi spies plotting to disrupt the Suez Canal from a desert in the Middle East. It is amazing how many times the hero gets left with no water in the desert and survives. Apparently one should never underestimate an archeologist.
William
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A thriller novel -- fairly entertaining in its way. Nothing special but moves fast -- one day type read.
WW 2 Middle East -- German bad guys versus American good guys with beautiful woman thrown in for very limited romantic interest.
Brian Grouhel
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Jack Higgins! The Perfect Way to while away a few hours and get lost in the desert!
Book-a-neer
Easy read. Would have liked to have more info on Sheba and the places & culture of the people described in the novel.
Brian
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Felt like just another Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I don't know what the chronology is, but it's a "type" that to me has been done many times, and sometimes better.
June Booth
Cerebral chewing gum.
Bert Plants
Not his best

Very disjointed, and difficult to get into. Strange plot, weak characters. Quick read though, so the pain ends fairly quickly.
KLEE BETHEL
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Higgins Sheba

I kept forgetting who the author was as I read. The storytelling was as good as the Sean Dillon books but fresh and new.
John Marsh
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Bob
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A 1995 Higgins I came across. A Nazi plan to blow up the Suez Canal at the same time they move in to Poland. Plot foiled in Indiana Jones fashion by an American Expatriate archeologist and friends. Desert chases captured by desert Arabs, women to rescue and the lost temple and treasure of the Queen of Sheba. Non stop action for an afternoons read.
Rickhow
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I really liked it. If you are a fan of an Indiana Jones type of book with adventure, nazi's, hidden treasure, etc,then you will just like this book as much as me. This was a fun quick read. Don't miss it.
David K
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, thrilling adventure in the true style expected of this author. One of his better WW2 reads. Great plot and all round characters. Higgins is the best in this genre. Tells the story without padding it out. I'd recommend anyone looking for an adventure story to read this book.
Deborah
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Not his best work. The narrative is lazy, and I caught at least one factual error: LaGuardia Airport was not so named until after the events in the book.
Tamara
Nov 10, 2011 added it
Shelves: own
I really tried to read this book and thought it would be very interesting but in the end I could not get past page 72 and had to call it quits.
Jan
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Good old-style Jack Higgins.
Kay Wells
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jack-higgins
Different from the Dillan series but another good read from Higgins. Twists and turns through out the book to keep the pages turning.
Amy Sjoquist
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Good read. Need to check out his other books.

• The Thousand Faces Of Night
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The Eagle Has Flown (Liam Devlin, #4)
  • Cold Harbour (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #2)
  • Night of the Fox (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #1)
  • Dark Justice (Sean Dillon, #12)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • Bloody Passage
  • Pay The Devil
  • Flight of Eagles (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #3)
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • Solo
  • Toll For The Brave
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
  • Day of Judgment
  • The Judas Gate (Sean Dillon, #18)
  • The Valhalla Exchange
  • Sad Wind from the Sea
One of the many pseudonyms used by Henry Patterson. See Jack Higgins for more complete information.