Start by marking “Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)

Blue Bloods

(Blue Bloods #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  127,418 ratings  ·  4,854 reviews
Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes to the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler's life changes dramatically. The death of a popular schoolmate haunts her in unexpected ways. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, i ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Hyperion Paperbacks (first published March 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Bloods, please sign up.
Sakae Codogan That's one of the reasons why i didn't bother looking for the rest of it. I mean it was interesting (why I started reading it), but i though it took a…moreThat's one of the reasons why i didn't bother looking for the rest of it. I mean it was interesting (why I started reading it), but i though it took a little too long to revel things. It was like at the beginning of the book, it promises to reveal something and then after you read about half the thing you get nowhere, I lasted two books. Now I have nothing against Miss Cruz, she obviously knows what she's doing, but I just couldn't.(less)
Destiny Rodríguez The twin blood bond is basically marriage. its when two souls are twinned in heaven. its sacred to the code of the vampires and you die if you break…moreThe twin blood bond is basically marriage. its when two souls are twinned in heaven. its sacred to the code of the vampires and you die if you break it. schuyler's mom is not related to Charles as well as Mimi and jack(less)

·  127,418 ratings  ·  4,854 reviews

H.
Oct 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had the potential to be amazing: affluent teens learn in their fifteenth year that they are reincarnated vampires who will never really die, only come back to reenter another 'cycle' of life.

unfortunately, it was terrible. One gets the impression that La Cruz either rushed through this, or had a constant bout of writers block. The writing is forced and trite, and things that should have been ommitted (why do we need a description of every single item of food throughout the book?)and s
Kat Kennedy
So I was reading a Cracked article a little while ago. It told me that you get addicted to pop music because it sets off the pleasure centre of your brain. Cracked also told me that your brain derives pleasure from particularly predictable music because your brain enjoys predicting things and enjoys being right even more.

Nickelback are crapity, crap, crap!
Finally, humanity's explanation for Nickelback

No... serclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Finally,
Joyzi
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, peeps who don't mind ripoffs
Recommended to Joyzi by: Julie and Szam
Book Review

Blue_Bloods_Movie_Cast_by_xx1wingedangel
(This pic is from deviantart.com btw)

I've been wanting to read this series for a long time now but unfortunately I was always got sidetracked by other vampire series (e.g. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Vampire Academy, House of Night, Evernight Series, Morganville Vampires, Sookie Stackhouse series, The Mortal Instruments Trilogy,
Leah
Jan 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay....I have to drag my soap box out...er sckrrrkk (keep in mind this is my opinion and I don't wish to offend anyone). Alright, I began to read junior fiction and young adult books to cut out the undesirable sex scenes and vulgar language. Well, I have had to stop reading highly entertaining young adult books because of the sex and language. I am highly disappointed in the trend now-a-days. Is it any wonder teen pregnancy is a problem, as well as substance abuse and vulgar language, if this k ...more
Katy
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: (Borrowed from Erin R.)
This book was a massive mental battle for me, between the decent parts of the plot (notice I say PLOT, not book) and the horrendousness of the rest of the book. Okay, let me put this bluntly: "Blue Bloods" stunk.

First of all, the story was not believable. Not because it included a pack of civilized vampires that were conveniently all wealthy and living in New York City. Because the characters' reactions were so obviously fabricated that I rolled my eyes more than once while reading.
Jilly
Sep 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so fucking stupid that I lost IQ points while reading it. The only reason I didn't DNF it was for the joke material. Because, seriously, this book has to be a joke, right?

The premise had some potential - vampires who came over on the Mayflower, come into their vampireyness at age 15,

and are reincarnated over and over again. ( Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows ?)

There are exactly 400
Crystal
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't like books with substance
I absolutely hated this book. HATED it. I'm not sure I've ever been able to say that about a novel before, but I can honestly say that about this one. Being a long-time fan of vampires, I picked this up at Barnes & Noble thinking that it might be a quick, easy, interesting read. The book itself is not terribly long, but I had a hard time getting through it.

For one thing, that characters aren't likable...AT ALL. The vampires are an ancient group of rich, snobby elitists who care more about f
notyourmonkey
J.D. Stroube
This series is basically Gossip Girl meets Twilight. Melissa de la Cruz is obviously a great author...However, she does not follow through with this series. She spends more time talking about designer labels, and what the elite are wearing...than she does building up the plot.

I felt completely let down, because many people had suggested this series to me.

Having said that...
I still want to know what happens, which means I will give Melissa de la Cruz a second chance by reading
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Annalisa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
De la Cruz does an impressive job of creating a world of high society New York vampires that date all the way back to Plymouth, to the beginning of time, really, but the book focuses on Plymouth. I loved that she ties her story into a bit of real historical mystery, the Lost Colony of Roanoke, a group of early pilgrim settlers that disappeared without a trace. Family lines and real estate and designer clothes are all important to setting the stage for the New York it crowd, but the name-dropping ...more
Tatiana
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: girls obsessed with opulent NYC lifestyle, name brands, and vampires
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather, Crystal
Shelves: 2009, romancelandia, ya
This is the first book in another paranormal YA series. I've been disappointed with quite a few lately, but "Blue Bloods" seems a little bit better than some.

First of all, it's not based solely on romance. For a change, this book is written in 3rd person, so you don't have to endure hundreds of pages in a mind of some boy-obsessed teenage girl. Cruz also develops a rather interesting vampire lore which even has some well-known historical events weaved into it.

I am not goi
Eileen
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I read all three of these books in a day apiece. They're badly written, ludicrous candy. Seriously, rich NYC socialite vampires? Who are also ANGELS? And models, apparently? And are almost 100% undeveloped as characters?

Don't get me started on how "Croatan" actually refers to one of the native American tribes in the barrier islands of NC, and was probably meant to serve as a direction for the rest of the Roanaoke colonists when they came back from England. I mean, yes, the whole subj
Kristen Bongard
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my silly love of teen vampire books. Melissa de la Cruz makes a fun world, easy to read, with characters that you love and hate. Full of all the angst and envy of a proper high school novel, but with the added bite of the supernatural.

I'm charmed by Schuyler, the accidentally beautiful protagonist. She is endearing in her inability to fit in, which is something I'm sure many of us can relate to.

The Force Twins. How can you help but love to hate Mimi Force? A girl who has everyth
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Read the full review here @A Perfection Called Books

The Concept:

Blue Bloods is a trio combination of Gossip Girl, angels, and vampires. The idea and premise of this series is original and great! Basically the angels who sided with Lucifer were cast down from heaven and now they are Blue Bloods, vampires, who live in 100 year long cycles, trying to achieve redemption. I like it! It's a cool co
Suzanne
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re-read to finish the series from my bookshelf. I was happy to get reacquainted with this amusing world and characters.
Tamara
ACTUAL RATİNG:2.75 stars

The Ingredients:Add The Gossip Girl. Mix it with Beverly Hills. Add a bit of Twilight. And a little piece from every YA novel you can remember reading.

The Final Taste/The Verdict:Doesnt leave a bad taste in your mouth but it definitely could have been better.

The Story:The glamorous life of the Upper East Side citiziens

-with a vampire twist.

What Went Wrong:What the book focuses on is completely wrong. The author should have focused on the story than what the characters were wearing.Alclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Whatbetter.
Thereading.
Thestars
The
Leonie
I've just started this book, and there are a number of things in which this book is disappointing.

For one, Melissa de la Cruz keeps on nagging about what everybody is wearing. On and on. I couldn't care less. It also contributes to annoying fact #2. The books moves damn slowly. I'm on page 97 and nothing has happened so far. And the same plot-hints are being dropped over and over. I'm laying the book away now, perhaps I will finish it later...

... And I picked it up anyway, like 3 ho
Giselle
Blue Bloods has the makings of a very addicting series, but it fell flat to me. The premise of fallen angels turning into vampires in modern was interesting but it wasn’t enough for me to enjoy it. I more or less skimmed through to find out a bit of their history. The story was merely an info dump of knowledge, no story-telling anywhere to be found. I dislike books like these where I want to be shown as a reader how the story goes from one plot point to another. There were too many character poi ...more
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :(
"Survival of the richest, the city's ours before the fall
They're Monaco and Hamptons bound, but we don't feel like outsiders at all."

- Halsey, "New Americana"

3.5 Stars

Better than I thought it would be, and my random book of the month, decided through a fair bit of weird numerology and enough "eeny meeny miney mo" the reference librarian probably thought I'd gone crazy.

The Summary (that they don't give you): So there's this girl Schuyler (pronounced Skylar, I think)/>The
Traci
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Traci by: the library
What the actual hell did I just read?

Okay, I'll admit, I picked this up in the first place because it sounded vaguely like Gossip Girl, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. It also sounded vaguely like Twilight, which I wouldn't really call a guilty pleasure, but I will admit that there was a lot of entertainment value there.

I feel like I just went to a distant relative's house for dinner, and I'm not sure what exactly happened in the kitchen and I'm a little afraid to ask, but I have to be polite and eat it
karenbee
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Oh dear. This is like the Twilight thing, isn't it? It's SO HORRIBLE and I can't stop reading.

Okay, the good: Melissa de la Cruz, in Blue Bloods, has created a whole new sort of vampire. All the old Buffy rules are out. It involves a REALLY complicated bunch of lore, but by the end, I understood most of the rules. Oh, also good, I was surprised by mention of Roanoke, one of my pet fascinations. There is a little bit of a history lesson (not too serious, don't worry about thinking, ot
Denys L.H.
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: wealthy fucks
Starting with the positive points, they had really interesting vampires. The idea of older generations of vampires being reincarnated into future generations sounded pretty cool. They don't really die, they come back in the future generations as someone else with the same soul. I thought that was pretty well thought-out.

Now it's time for the negative points. And boy, did I have many. First, the writing. I was getting sick of all those detailed descriptions about clothing and what des
☙ percy ❧
(3.5 stars)

it was kinda superficial and filled with designer clothing descriptions, but some of the plot twists were quite good and i do like the overall vampire lore. i think i'll read the second one in the series, but only time will tell if i can make it to the last book, lol.
Colleen Houck
I almost felt like I was in NYC again while reading this book. Love the idea of the silver bloods and the connection to the pilgrims. Very creative!
Natalia
The Shadowhunters meeting Gossip Girl.
I must say, that I liked the main plot, the whole idea of vampires living in some kind of community and being reborn. But I didn't like the writing AT ALL. I felt like I was reading some crappy fanfiction. With all those pointless descriptions of looks, clothing, etc, and all these love stories. Also, the main character (well, actually, there are probably a few main characters) who is the embodiment of all the cliches - her parents are dead, she wears
E. C. McRoy
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
**Also published on my YA Book Blog**

Okay, so the premise of this book is sort of interesting. I don't usually go for the angel demon explanation (because it seems so common these days), so that was slightly off putting, but I was willing to look past it. Having the stuff with the Roanoke colony was cool and I actually wish that had been more of the focus. The present day stuff was too much and over the top. All the glam, the brands, the rich jerk attitude. It was like half the book was just
Jaemi
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schuyler Van Alen leads a mixed-up life. She attends a prestigious NYC school, where she doesn't fit in with her peers, except her best friend Oliver, and though her family used to be one of the wealthiest in the city, their holdings are now few and money sparse. She doesn't know her father, her mother has been in a coma in the hospital for most of her life, and she lives with her foreboding grandmother.

When the uber-boy at school suddenly takes an interest in her, she doesn't know w
Rachel
Jun 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, dnf
Arlene
I guess I got caught up with all of the vampire folklore because of the Twilight series, and I was looking for a substitute. Blue Bloods is a light and to a small degree entertaining read. It kept me interested barely enough to want to finish the book, but it definitely was not captivating.

I feel the author had an opportunity to develop her plot, which was extremely original. However, the entire novel lacked some sort of cohesive concept or stimulating event to give the storyline some needed sp

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Evernight
  • Bloodlust & Initiation (Vampire Beach, #1-2)
  • Eternal (Tantalize, #2)
  • Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2)
  • Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • In the Forests of the Night
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like B

Blue Bloods (7 books)
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)
  • Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, #5)
  • Lost in Time (Blue Bloods, #6)
  • Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods, #7)
“Black is the color of night. White is the true color of death” 758 likes