Start by marking “Catwoman, Volume 1: The Dark End of the Street” as Want to Read:
Catwoman, Volume 1: The Dark End of the Street

Catwoman, Volume 1: The Dark End of the Street (Catwoman, Volume III #1-4)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,551 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
For years, Selina Kyle has prowled the skyline of Gotham City as its most famous thief, Catwoman. But when word spreads of Catwoman's demise, Selina decides to leave the costumed world behind and continue her trade cloaked in the shadows. Unable to enjoy her newfound anonymity for too long though, Selina decides that she must return to her infamous persona. Donning a new c ...more
Published October 14th 2002 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Catwoman, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catwoman, Volume 1

David Schaafsma
You know Ed Brubaker is doing a superhero comic because it involves crime, and a detective, and is one way or the other noir, as this one is. This precedes a lot of his straight Crime stuff like Criminal. It's also clearly not drawn by Sean Phillips, but drawn in a funky style by Darwyn Cooke that feels both contemporary and a throwback to its pulpy roots.

This begins with a tough guy detective, Slam Bradley, who is paid by Gotham's mayor to find Selina Kyle, and uh, finds her. So Catwoman return
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Excellent! I love the snappy art style and Catwoman is so much fun! A roguish heroine - sorta - written superbly by Brubaker. Will definitely continue to check out this line!
Sam Quixote
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is very clearly an Ed Brubaker comic as it starts with a private detective hired by a shady mayor to investigate a murder. Brubaker would go on to explore noir more memorably in the “Criminal” and “Fatale” series, and the opening of this story reads very much like those later books. In an earlier volume, Selina Kyle ran for mayor of New York and ended up dead... or is she? Slam Bradley (awesome name for a PI) is on the case. In the main story of this book, Catwoman returns to Gotham as a pr ...more
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: gave-up-before-finishing, mellow, playful, steady-storytelling-style, story-not-intriguing-enough

Additional Notes: This collection contains Catwoman issues #1-4 and "The Trail of the Catwoman" featured in Detective Comics issues #759-762.

Probable Rating (if I had finished this) : {1.5/5 stars}

Well now, what do we have here? A shitty noir book? Not sure I've read very many of those, but now that I think about it, I guess they must exist. But how many of them coul
Jen
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, graphic-novels
"Because my world is all just shades of grey, Batman. That's why you'll never really understand me. It's about good people being forced into bad situations. That's my territory -- In between right and wrong. Which is a place you can never go. And we both know it."
Alayne
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5.5

Demasiado bueno.

Fue mala idea leer el tomo 3 antes que este (por equivocación) porque me adelantó algunas cosas, pero no le quitó ninguna gracia a este... que me gustó más.

Se divide en dos partes:

Una, la del detective privado Slam Bradley (que justamente aparece en el tercer tomo como amigo de Selina) tras la pista de Catwoman a pedido del alcalde.
Se sabe (o cree) que está muerta, pero el alcalde no piensa lo mismo, por lo que lo contrata a Slam para que la encuentre o confirme si es verd
I like the art in this volume, as it reminded me, in a good way of 90s and early 2000s animated comic cartoons. Although there are a few obvious butt and splits shots, plus one of naked Selina before she slips into her cat suit commando, I enjoyed how this wasn't just another sexy female superhero comic, as Catwoman comics have tended to be lately. As usual, Matt Hollingsworth does a fantastic job with coloring, with expert use of blacks, grays and purples for the night scenes.

While Brubaker's
Andy
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Catwoman fans; noir femme fatale types
Shelves: comix-novel
When Catwoman got her own comic it should have been an exciting new series, but it wasn’t. It was grade-A stinko; does anyone remember the awful “Women In Chains” issue where Catwoman had to fend for her life in a women’s penitentiary wearing full superheroine regalia? They don’t even get to wear their villain togs in Arkham Asylum!

What saved Catwoman was hiring Darwyn Cooke of “New Frontier” fame in remaking her as a Forties-styled noir harpy looming over Gotham City clad from head to toe in bl
Helmut
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Überzeugend

In diesem Comic überzeugt sowohl das Skript von Ed Brubaker als auch die Zeichnungen von Darwyn Cooke. Sehr "noir" und detektivisch angelegt ist Catwoman glaubwürdig und nicht übertrieben superheldenhaftig. Besser als die normalen Catwoman-Ausgaben (1-4 sind in diesem Band enthalten) gefallen mir sogar die vorgeschalteten "Slam Bradley"-Geschichten, die dieses schmutzige, zwielichtige und fiese Milieu, in dem sich die neue Catwoman bewegt, sehr schön illustrieren.

Cookes Zeichnungen s
Lionel
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Average is probably the best word to describe this book. I dont like the cartoon-like graphics. The story lacks of something but it is not rrally bad neither. The serial killer was more developed than I anticipated.
Patrick
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Liked it. Very Noir.

Also, it was accessible to me even though I don't know the character's whole tangled decade-long storyline. It brought me in and made me curious enough that I just ordered the next three trades in the series.
Jen
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is truly what Catwoman was meant to be. Kick-arse, headstrong and the right amount of femininity with the cattitude to boot (hah, had to put the pun in)—a far more modern and sophisticated update of her late 90s version. Brubaker's storytelling is consistently gripping and entertaining.
msBookLand
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great fun read, beautiful! I really enjoyed this story!

I recommend this to fans of Anne Hathaway's Catwoman in the Dark Night rises🤗
J
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke on one book together? Be still my beating heart. The story that sets Catwoman more decisively on her road to redemption.
catechism
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
3.5 stars? Good art and decent character work but the story wasn't very compelling.
Justyn Rampa
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Re-Read Review:

So I've decided in the wake of becoming totally obsessed with Ed Brubaker's Catwoman reboot, I have to give this a five star rating. The only reason for the four star rating was because I did not initially warm to Darywn Cooke's art (much like I did not initially warm to Tim Sale's art), but the second time around...I dug it. Also, if for nothing else I must give Darywn Cooke mad props for the genius revamp he gave the Catwoman costume. Brilliant!

The story was still just as engagi
thuy
I recently picked up the first TPB volume of what the Catwoman reboot that was first released in the early 2002. The series, written by Ed Brubaker with art by Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allred finds Catwoman at a crossroads. With both Catwoman and her alter ego Selina Kyle believed to be dead, Catwoman decides that it's time to lay low and re-evaluate her life and the direction she wants to take it.

The story starts off in classic Brubaker style with a noir-type storyline featuring a detective, Slam
Wing Kee
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
What's not to love a noir Catwoman story by Brubaker and Cooke?

Man this arc and side story be super fun. One of my favorite artists and one of the best crime comic book writers writing about a cat burglar, what's not to love. This is the reintroduction of the soft reboot of Selina Kyle after No Man's Land and it's mighty foin:

World: Cooke's art is distinct and he's in a class of his own. The line work the character designs, the framing, just all Ooze with style. One look you will either love it
Althea J.
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If anyone’s looking for a great starting point when it comes to Catwoman, this book is where it’s at. Writer Ed Brubaker, art by Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allred. This book establishes a Selina Kyle whose power is not tied to her sexuality. She exudes a subtle sexiness, but that is FAR from the most defining aspect of her character.

We watch as Selina tries to reconcile the demons of her past with her desire to do good in the present. And I love the direction she takes! A new era of looking out for o
Vince Osorio
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience reading a solo Catwoman tale, glad to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the poppy, Eisner-esque art style, found the plot itself to be efficiently paced & compelling enough throughout- though I could do without the nonsensical body horror that plays out in the climax. A fun read from start to finish & it does a great job introducing Catwoman to new fans (like myself) while also staying true to the character in a way that hardcore fans will appreciate.

(P.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Brubaker's Catwoman will always be my favorite. This book came out right when I was seriously getting into comic book collecting. I was in high school, and Catwoman was already my favorite superhero character, but this series cemented it. I read it issue by issue, month by month, and in my teenage angst could really connect with the dark grey places Selina is forced to inhabit. I love the way Brubaker handles her romance with Batman, and I love that she's not really a villain, and not really a h ...more
Michael
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Brubaker and Cooke's Catwoman is to mainstream comics what Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is to Kung-fu flicks: A clandestine feminist revision of a normally sexist genre and character type. Brubaker is a great crime writer, and Cooke's revamp of the Catwoman costume (black leather, funky goggles and no tail) is totally fabulous. This Catwoman deals in a far more ambiguous moral space, but so too does she set herself up as the guardian of the unwanted, preyed upon women of Gotham. The lesbian sub ...more
Todd
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-1-13
I'm never sure if I'm going to like a Brubaker book. I liked some of his Captain America and little of his Daredevil.

I really enjoyed this. I liked the Slam Bradley story from the start. It was a good way to introduce people who don't follow the DC universe into what was going on at the time in Catwoman's life. I was digging the Dick Tracy influenced art.

The Catwoman story line was good. I don't really know much about the character other than movies and alternate universes. I love the costume. I
Gregory
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is well written especially the first half which centers on the Slam Bradley character (former cop, now detective for hire). He's looking for the trail of Selina (Catwoman) who is suppose to be dead. It has a good hard boiled detective feel with old Sam taking some beatings but giving a few too. What really drew me to this work is the artist Darwyn Cooke. His style is just great as its sweet and charming with a classic style. He can be a bit modern and tough when it's needed (see cover) whic ...more
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke come together and produce a near perfect reinvention of Selina Kyle and Catwoman. This is such a departure of the Jim Balent stuff of years past. Brubaker creates a world and Selina's role in it perfectly. Darwyn Cooke's art is so beautiful and suited for this atmosphere. The opening pages of this (from Detective Comics back-up stories) featruing Slam Bradley aren't great but bring the reader up to speed. The main issue here, to me, is the villain's striking resemble ...more
Melanie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-trade
If I haven’t made it painfully obvious yet, I really love Catwoman. I’ve read a lot of her books and seen all the movies (Yes. I have seen that Halle Berry abomination more than once), but there are few teams that took on her vivacious personality and kept her complicated and flawed while still adding to her development. The first that really captured and held me was Ed Brubaker, Cameron Stewart, Mike Allred, Darwyn Cooke with The Dark End of the Street.

FULL REVIEW HERE: http://www.melreadscomi
Chadwick
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who appreciate kick-ass women in comics
Shelves: comics
I think that I will probably buy just about anything that Darwyn Cooke ever draws. His economy of line, compositional wizardry, and sense of storytelling are the distillation of much of what I love about the medium. The Brubaker/Cooke/Stewart run on the title revealed the Selena Kyle that I always knew was hiding inside the years of bad Catwoman comics. She's really one of the greatest characters in DC comics. I wish that she would only be given to writers who know what to do with her.
Brandon Forsyth
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Reading this very small collection of Brubaker's CATWOMAN feels like watching a promising pilot - there's enough there to keep you going, but you get the sense that character and storyteller are still feeling each other out. Selina Kyle should be a great fit for Brubaker, and I'm excited to see where he took this story. The battle with the Clayface-like villain at the end of this volume is suitably icky.
Meghan Wilson
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Slam Bradley is the SHIIIIT. This is the best catwoman book ever...darwyn Cooke on inks, Ed Brubaker writing. It is a very noir-style telling of our famous Catwoman, set with a backdrop of private investigation by the ultimate noir character...Slam Bradley. The rest of the series continues in this vein very well with some changes to the artist. Mostly the new artists are good and try to keep the same feel as Cooke (with the exception of a ridiculous few).
Edward Petersen
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Well, I didn't see that coming.

A good little "reset" volume of Cat Woman stories, if a little fragmented. But I guess after a character returns from a hiatus, there has to be a first story. I like the different perspective that comes from a female character and one that started on the streets and still feels a connection there. It gives a different attack vector for the same crime that plagues Gotham.
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
  • Batgirl: Year One
  • Manhunter, Vol. 1: Street Justice
  • Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic
  • Batman: Nine Lives
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker...

Catwoman, Volume III (10 books)
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score