Start by marking “Civil War: Marvel Universe” as Want to Read:
Civil War: Marvel Universe

Civil War: Marvel Universe (Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,230 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
SC, TPB, in cello, New, Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS, WARREN ELLIS, PAUL JENKINS, DAN SLOTT, MICHAEL AVON OEMING, MATT FRACTION, ROBERT KIRKMAN, TY TEMPLETON, and MARC GUGGENHEIM. Art by MARC SILVESTRI, TOM RANEY, PAUL SMITH, LEINIL FRANCIS YU, DAVID AJA, PHIL HESTER, SCOTT KOLLINS, and TY TEMPLETON. Cover by MARC SILVESTRI. Published in June of 2007, Softcover, 128 pag ...more
Published June 20th 2007 by Marvel (first published May 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Greg
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, marvel
This collection seems to be just some issues that couldn't be collected anywhere else. About half of the stories were good, but the other half I had no interest in. I guess it's nice to see Howard the Duck make an appearance, but his story was actually what made me push this down to a two instead of three star rating.
So this book is going to represent ALL the Civil War comics (since there isn't one book on goodreads for them all and I am totally not commenting on and putting each one individually on my lists). I have all the comics digitally so I'll pop back on here once I finish them all.
See you on the other side.
Sesana
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Really just a bunch of stuff thrown together. The only thing here that interested me at all was the Howard the Duck story, that was at least amusing and did a better job of exposing the absurdity of the SHRA than any of the "serious" stories.
Christian Smith
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
5/10 Stars

"years ago, you were forced to make a decision that would change the world. You chose to be a hero. Counteract the poison. Be on the side of the pure."
Anirudh
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
To start with, I am not a comic book reader. I’ve read a few manga but after my failed attempt to read X-Men Apocalypse, this is my first full attempt at a comic book arc. I cannot comment on sketches so my focus will be on the story. I know next to nothing about comic books. I only know these characters from Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Civil War was a nice experience. There were some good things and there were some bad things in the arc. I read the whole set including related comics such as Black
Rasheem Johnson
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Once again I'm reminded why I read DC and NOT marvel comics.

In civil war we have superheroes pitted against each other on an issue that's so one sided you have to wonder how they're even arguing. Iron Man is OBVIOUSLY correct. Perhaps reading this comic in 2015, when our own police has become militarized and lacks accountability, has skewed my view of the issues. Still think I'd be hard pressed to even entertain Capt. America's stance.

Superheroes protesting to not be registered by the governmen
Emmanuel Lightbourne
Story was awsome and drawings were epic, but the collection is too short and you know the end is really just the beginning here. Nonetheless great effort, looking forward to getting the rest of the books to get some context here.
Henry
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good, but it was just a bunch of random stories and some of them weren't even that good. Some of the stories didn't even make sense. Eh I don' really care.
Jack
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Yes, I'm currently reading a comic book. Since it's theoretically 120+ comic books and actually a fairly intelligent discussion on what civil rights are and what it means to be "a good guy" and how thin the line can really be between "good intentions" and "bad policy", I think it counts as a book. I'm going to treat it like one anyway.

I'm about 40 comics through the series, which is excellent so far, I'll write a more complete review when I'm done.

[done]

I'll admit, I was really disappointed in
Annette Jordan
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The big one that asks the big questions- should people with special powers register and be held accountable for their activities or should they be free to keep their identities secret.
A good read with some really cool artwork
Following an explosion with high civilian casualties this very issue has come to the fore, with it now being a legal requirement for those with powers to register. On one side Iron Man, pro registration as he sees it as a way to keep doing good without the risk of being ban
Cooper Crawford
Mar 08, 2015 is currently reading it
So It starts off as a team of hero known as the knew defenders have a reality tv show to show how real heros act they to try and stop a threat which they fail causing a bomb to go off killing a bus of innocent children which causes the hero registration act to make heroes turn over their masks in order to keep the city safe. Many heroes turn over their masks to save the city and other think the Ideas think it outs a bigger target on the heroes themselves endangering the lives of all. When the ac ...more
Arturo
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2006-civil-war

Choosing sides is intended as promo for other series. So quick previews kinda suck. Kirkman's Ant-Man is most memorable, jus cuz it's so different. The Iron Fist one is good, but I think it's collected in the Iron Fist TPB anyway.
In The Return, Sentry seems out of character, I just kept thinking 'why is he talking?' With Iron Man and Mr.Fantastic there, they can handle it.
Maybe cuz Bendis has made him into a unstable yet controllable loon. Then again Jenkins created him. Anyway it's another p
Ozy Ali
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The story starts out full of feels. Lots of interesting characters are affected in very real ways. Being a fan of marvel over the years, the trauma that Peter Parker goes through is definitely something that weighed heavy with me. However, reading a mound of side comics of characters I've never heard of, nor have any interest in, made this a bit cumbersome. I have to say, when you have the flagships going, the Captain, Iron Man, Spiderman(my favourite), then the writing is great, the art is fant ...more
Alex Flynn
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's an interesting premise but it doesn't develop from their, and in the end devolves into incoherent fighting with poorly identified sides. After reading this I learned that this was a major arc across multiple series and the problem may just be this collection doesn't have enough of the stories to make much sense. It posits a good central conflict for a civil war between heroes, with neither side too obviously right or wrong (although they do make some pretty bad decisions) but after that set ...more
Jose Monarrez
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Queriendo ser claros, al igual que los anteriores crossovers del Universo Marvel que he leído últimamente, no me refiero a este tomo en especifico, sino al tomo completo, el cual consiste en mas de 100 revistas, por lo que las resumo en una (no voy a poner como si lei 100 libros jajaja), una vez dicho esto....

Es el Crossover mas ambiciosos que he leído hasta el momento, crea un nuevo equilibrio en el Universo Marvel (como casi todos) que presenta rivalidades nuevas entre los antes amigos (casi h
Silas
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a selection of short stories focused more on personal reactions to the registration act, and I happen to like that about it. Many stories set up other series, but also dealt with the crossover. There were a few characters that I had previously felt were on particular sides for no reason, and this dealt with some of those. The Howard the Duck story was a good fit as well, both for the event and for his history. This definitely doesn't stand alone, but if you have read other parts off the ...more
Stewart Tame
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun collection of Civil War-related one-shots. I'd give this only three stars, except that the She Hulk and Howard the Duck stories were lots of fun, worth an extra star even. She Hulk also gives us Paul Smith on the art. I've been a fan of his work since his X-Men days, so this was a treat. Howard the Duck had Ty Templeton writing, and I've been a fan of his work since his Stig's Inferno days. Good stuff! The rest of the book is pretty generic superhero fare, not bad, but not especially memor ...more
Stacey Marie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Although I love Civil War, I don't understand why anyone would want this particular collection in print instead of just reading the entire series. Those just trying to get into it will be lost and confused, and worst of all missing huge important plot points that give meaning to these individual spot lights. They will also spoil the story a bit for those who intend to go back and read the whole thing. People who've already read Civil War in its entirety obviously wouldn't need to read this as th ...more
Megan M
May 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Easily the most unnecessary of all the Civil War collections. A highly disjointed collection bringing together the Civil War stories of some fringe characters like She-Hulk, Daredevil and Howard the Duck. The She-Hulk story was pretty good, but the rest was disposable. If you're a fan of one of the included characters, you might want to flip through this collection at the library, but I would not suggest purchasing this collection.
Shiree
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
I only gave this two stars because of the art and somewhat annoying trends I saw in Civil War (complete comics).

(Now that I see Robert Kirkman did art for it I need to find which one that story was and look at the art again too.)

As much as I love Iron Man, he was too much in each story. Yes, I know he's a reason why the Civil War storyline for Marvel is the way it is, but at least give focus to others.
NaomiRuth
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, af, graphic-novels
I had mixed feelings, but I think that's because I don't know enough about the world yet.

And I'm still not sure how I feel about the duck guy. But. Despite it being super weird, I think it was one of my favorite sections. It was just so. Absurd. And America. And the US Government. And the craziness of humans. I'm. I'm just not sure what to say.

But definitely some artwork that had me stroking the pages.
Annemarie Donahue
Pretty good, I gave it a "really liked it" because I did but the ending left a bad taste in my mouth. Also too little use of the XMen and too much Tony Stark/Capt. America personality conflicts. I was not surprised at Reed from Fantastic Four being a prick, he always kinda sucked. This was a good series and I liked it, but ultimately the ending feels weird and to me, fell flat.
Yoga Pradipta
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, superhero
The storyline is too scattered... They better not bring up some stories (howard duck, omega flight, dare devil/iron fist, captain marvel) because they're not effecting the story at all and floating without reason. although the beginning and the main story was good. And oh! Too bad they didn't dig deeper on she-hulk side story.
Leah
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Marvel Civil War storyline was an epic, far-reaching plot and was full of action and fast-paced plot. At times, some of the tie-ins were less than fantastic, but stand-outs include the Amazing Spider-Man line, and the base Civil War 5-issue series. One of the better crossovers Marvel has done. Highly recommended.
Vinay Keerthi
Dear god. This book was a boring embargo. I'm more of a DC Comics fan. I like the idea, but Super Hero Registration was done far better in Watchmen. Also, I feel Cap was sort of a hypocrite in this deal. I liked T'challa's chemistry with Ororo though!
Hania
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This part of the Civil War was alright. I liked the part about the She-Hulk, but the one about Howard the Duck was weird and kind of unecessary. I think that I was expecting more, so that's why I'm disappointed. But, I did like it so, I rated it three stars.
Brad
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, marvel
A very, very disjointed ancillary crossover book. A good She-Hulk story is followed by what amount to previews of upcoming books like Omega Flight, Thunderbolts, Iron Fist, Mighty Avengers, and others. The low point is definitely the return of Captain Marvel, which seems unnecessary.
David Van Brakle
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm getting burnt out by the Marvel Universe. This collection contains a mix of interesting stories, but focuses really on none of them. Which makes some of the characters feel flat. Was looking for a followup to Millar's The Ultimates, but this came up short.
Jonathan Coulombe
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This collection regroups kind of the leftovers and most of them felt a bit out of place. Since I haven't read much Marvel comics outside of Civil War, It really wasn't a must for me. I just wanted the main event to continue instead.

The art was quite different between each issue as well.
Nabil Ghazi
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Badasses throwing punches at each other, Cap and Tony aren't really best of friends and they show quite significant leadership to their respective teams because of this new 'no-mask-law'. Sad there's no Fury in it but Maria Hill is quite a douche herself in command. Nice book in Marvel Series!
  • Civil War: Ms. Marvel
  • House of M: Spider-Man
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Marvel Zombies 4
  • World War Hulk
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker...

Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event