Start by marking “The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 1

The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 1 (The Authority #7)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,077 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Authority, a powerful coalition of post-humans, has overthrown the United States government and taken over the country. A rival group of patriotic heroes called Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty responds by sparking destructive riots against the Authority's regime. This sober examination of the limits of superhero goodwill and judgment is most appropriate for older t ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Wildstorm (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Authority, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Authority

Quentin Wallace
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Now that The Authority have taken over the world, what's next? A revolution of course. A group of "golden age" heroes, probably based on The Invaders, are somehow de-aged and powered up. They proceed to leave a revolution on the Authority, which eventually leads to the team stepping down as world leaders. The team also splits up and everyone goes their separate ways, at least temporarily. Of course, this has all been a manipulation by what's probably the greatest threat the team will ever face. ...more
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-collection
What happens next when radical post humans have taken over the United States of America. They'll rule, right? Well, if it was that easy...
Of course, there is something going on to keep the "heroes" busy - all their goals are at stake, when there are hints of a very dark future.
After Warren Ellis and Mark Millar left the writing duties on "The Authority" (volume 1, #1-29) the series got a bit boring. Enter a high quality writer like Ed Brubaker, who made their adventures entertaining again.
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
From the start I'm afraid I missed the Midnighter I used to know. Brubaker's tone for him is less darkly humorous and more filthy badass. It's more like Midnighter's loner Wolverine than gay Batman. The danger is present but somehow he seemed more dangerous when he could laugh about it. His absolute control of a situation was amusing to him rather than a token assessment.
There is a great deal of swearing going on in this volume and I can't say they get much done for all the posturing constant e
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-and-read
Interesting ride. A very thoughtful, sombre inspection of the outcome from the last book. What happens when The Authority gets fed up and finally takes control of America from the complete bastards that currently control it? The answer is hard to watch - my favourite anti-heroes getting dragged into the muck and losing their "cool" factor. But watch the story as it evolves - Brubaker, in his usual far-sighted talent, sets in motion some major plot pieces whose payoff promises to be totally, visc ...more
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Complex, dark, great use of the family tensions inherent in Apollo and the Midnighter and Jenny - lovely moral relativism and people stuffing things up, or not... just thoroughly enjoyable. And heartbreaking. And not. And all the things. :D Hell, I liked it. Although I'm going to agree with Korynn Knight to the extent that Midnighter seemed far less dangerous, far less *Midnighter*, here... although his actions and reactions were wholly in character, he's not as credibly effective somehow. Still ...more
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's pretty sweet that it seems like no matter who writes the Authority the still freaking rock! This was morally heavy, gritty and dark but also beautifully drawn and intriguing. Unfortunately it's only the first 6 comics of a 12 comic story arc. So now I have to track down the next graphic novel.

This book covers the Authority as dictators of the world stuff and though I haven't read Marvel's Civil War comics, I can't help but think they may have gotten the idea from the Authority comics.
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Revolution is the storyline I've put off reading for years, mostly because all I knew of it was that it was the part of the story where the Authority (and Midnighter and Apollo) broke up. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. The actual dissolution of the team is remarkably well done and the Midnighter's motivation for tearing them apart - and walking away from his family in the process - is emotionally satisfying. I can't wait till I get volume two so I can read the resolution.
Stewart Tame
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A group of heroes from the 40's reappear, seemingly rejuvenated and with their powers enhanced, and start stirring up trouble for The Authority. It quickly becomes apparent that those behind them have resources on a par with Jack Hawksmoor and company. The Authority are in for the fight of their lives. While I still feel that this series' peak was back when Warren Ellis was still writing it, this storyline is still pretty decent. I'm looking forward to volume 2.
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had to reread this series again. Not only is the storyline bad@ss, the art is superb! Dustin Nguyen does, what I think, the best "look" for The Authority since Frank Quitely. Sleek and well-illustrated. A high recommendation!
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
the realest story about heroes wanting to do the right thing but absentmindedly falling victim to their own propaganda and power and conquering desire. this is what would happen if there were superpowered beings in our realm of reality. great work!!!
Mare S
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ed Brubaker has quickly become one of my favorite writers in this genre. I love the spin he puts on things and the worlds that he creates. I'm intrigued to see where this goes and how things are resolved.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-wildstorm
Brubaker successfully recreates the Authority as it was meant to be, mixing an epic scope with an original story. In the end, he offers the best take on the team since Ellis.
Francisco Becerra
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the best plotlines of the Authority ever! At last they are confronted by their own decisions, and the cliffhanger is superb.
Apr 24, 2013
  • The Authority: The Lost Year, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow, Vol. 9: Road to Jericho
  • Powers, Vol. 6: The Sellouts
  • Astro City, Vol. 5: Local Heroes
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker...

The Authority (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • StormWatch, Vol. 2
  • The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 2
  • The Authority: The Lost Year, Vol. 1
  • The Authority: The Lost Year, Vol. 2

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $10.29 $2.99
  • Neverwhere
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Shadow of Empire (Far Star Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Welcome to Night Vale
    $7.49 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00