Start by marking “Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2” as Want to Read:

Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2

(Captain America (2004) #2)

The questions plaguing Captain America's dreams and memories have been answered in the most brutal way possible. And in the wake of this brutality, General Lukin makes his first all-out assault - tearing open old wounds and threatening to make new scars that will never heal!

Collecting: Captain America 8-9, 11-14
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published October 25th 2006 by Marvel (first published May 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America

Stephen
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I’m not gonna toss a tantrum or spew geek rage all over this review (though I may stomp my feet once or twice), but seriously, folks, a lukewarm quality Cap graphic novel written by Ed Brubaker is just a teary-eyed disappointment for me.  Eddie is one of the elite comic writers working today (or ever) and Cap has become his signature series. Before Brubaker came along, Cap was a softening, 1950's anachronism with the beginnings of man-boobs. Ed took Cap's aging, saggy bottom and re-forged him ba ...more
Kemper
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Captain America and SHIELD struggle to stop a string of terror attacks that are part of a larger plan, and the architect of it has a very old grudge as well as a devastating personal card to play against Cap.

I noted when reviewing Vol. 1 that the secret of the Winter Soldier has been out there for some time. I’ve written about him in several of my own reviews for Brubaker’s run of Captain America as well as the Winter Soldier’s own book. But the movie comes out next week and for once Hollywood h
Dirk Grobbelaar
I still own the trade paperbacks that came in a Volume 1 and Volume 2. I see that The Winter Soldier has since been published in a single volume (Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection) which makes perfect sense. It’s impossible for me to rate the two volumes separately.

So, I just wrote a single review, which will be exactly the same for both:
Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2

This is a prime example of how good the graphic medium can
Cheese
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great insight into the creation of Bucky aka the winter soldier and how him and cap met and built a friendship.

The way Brubaker manages to portray Bucky as a complete badass even at the age of 16 is excellent. In this volume we also get to see captain America go up against Bucky and it's a good fight!

What's also very interesting is the interaction with the cosmic cube. Because the artwork is drawn in such a real world way it's kind of easy to forget that it's cosmic and can do pretty much an
Robert
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Captain AmeriFans!
Seeing this in a comic panel for the first time was a gut punch:

This compilation was amazing! So nice to finally visit the source material for my (to date) fave MCU movie and find it does not in the least disappoint, either as a twisty-turny superhero thriller or artistically as Steve Epting does great work bringing the inner conflicts and emotions to life AND nailing the hyperkinetic action sequences. Simply a MUST READ for anyone who likes the characters.

Paul
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
The book where Captain America's sidekick, Bucky, is brought back. Hmmm, this is a sort of sacrilege to me. There are some deaths in the Marvel Universe that I feel are sacred. There's Gwen Stacy. Uncle Ben. And Bucky.

So, I'm not sure how I feel about Bucky being back. On the one hand, it pisses me off, but there's a twelve year old in me that loves seeing Bucky again. I collect golden age comics, so Bucky's no stranger to me, and an updated version actually works.

I suppose that's the thing: t
Carlex
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally I have read it. Excelsior!
Andrew Greatbatch
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG BUCKY <3

Brubaker, you have shown me how amazing you really are with your Captain America run, and I want to thank you for these great stories!
Eric
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore Captain America fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Winter Soldier story-line really shouldn't have been split up into two volumes, as all of my concerns in my review of the first volume -- not enough Cap, not enough action, not enough resolution -- were addressed in this volume.

That being said, Captain America still doesn't even crack my top ten list of favorite superheroes. He is too one-note with the punching and shielding repeated ad nauseam -- it makes me think of the saying that when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a
Aron
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
About a 95 on a scale of 1 to 100. This was my first time reading this, which makes me really late on such a great story. The reason for this is that I briefly skimmed Winter Soldier some years back & decided I wouldn't be to crazy about & never really thought about it again. Here lately though I've been trying to read some of the popular arcs that Marvel put out in the last 10 years or so, & of course Brubaker's Capt. America run kept popping up on a lot of top 10 lists found on the ...more
Travis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
3.5

Hey, can we all appreciate the last two Captain America movies though?
Gavin
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Volume 2 of this collection (which was actually Ed Brubaker's first work for Marvel! - this collection, not Vol 2) picks right up where the first left off. The Winter Solider has been spotted, and there's a good chance it's none other than a long lost hero from the past...
Featuring Cap alongside Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, Falcon and Iron Man. This shows just how deep loyalty runs, the importance of friendship, and sets up one heck of a run on this series...Strongly recommended.
Tym
As before an excellent read, one part political thriller, one part war story and one part emotional thriller. I LOVED Winter Soldier the first time I read it and the same still holds true. The art is a great blend of dark, realistic and yet still superhero-ey enough to pull of Falcom and other guest stars. I think this is probbly the best Captain America story ever written. I just wish I owned my own copy.
Ken
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection focusing on the Winter Solider story line with Captain America’s sidekick Bucky Barnes.

I was lent this edition after watching the movie, overall I enjoyed reading it but as there’s only so many issues collected together I felt I wasn’t getting the whole story.

It would be quite nice if Marvel released a collection that had everything from the MCU stories for those like myself who’s interests were peaked.
James DeSantis
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winter Soldier arc wraps up in a fucked up but very satisfying way.

Steve gets the information that'll change his life. First questioning almost everything his mind is telling him. Facing off against Bucky again and still not believing that's his best friend. From the moments Bucky goes "Who the hell is Bucky" we know Steve isn't going to handle this well. Once Nick Fury starts to tell Steve the truth he still doubts it. When handed information about Winter Solider and his uprising, he still dou
Michael
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Not quite what I expected it to be, but still very good. It didn't really start to click until Cap found out about Bucky, which is not coincidentally the first time a human element entered into the espionage and intrigue. Epting's art is, as it's always been, terrific. Two things I didn't care much for: the Jack Monroe chapter seemed a waste of time, a marking of space while Epting caught up to deadlines; and the villain getting soft because he'd injured his friend and basically giving away the ...more
I DRM Free
In this continuing story of The Winter Soldier, Captain America is very confused. He doesn’t understand why things are happening to him and why he is remembering things differently then he thought they were. His history seems to be rewriting itself.

The final battle against the Winter Soldier is a bit anti-climatic though. For a great storyline I think this ended up a bit anti-climatic in several ways. Lukin uses the cube to force companies to become subsidiaries of his company and the fight at t
Matt
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good story, but I think my prior knowledge (and possibly hype) made me enjoy this book a little less than most people seem to. Before reading this, I had heard so much about the story and its plot, and had seen the film that spun out of the original comic book. Because of that, there wasn't much surprise. It felt like a pretty straight forward reading experience to me.

This may be because of all of the emotional turmoil he was going through, but another problem I had with this book wa
Christopher (Donut)
Eh. Based on the first story arc (2004), Ed Brubaker is not the cure for my Grant Morrison fanboyism.

The story struck me as unnecessarily drawn out, though there was a twist at the very end that I liked. (view spoiler)

The art is super slick, like frames from a movie, and yet, not an excellent movie, maybe not even a good tv show.
David
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great intro into comics

Definitely different than the movie of the same name but fun and exciting none the less. If you like Steve Rogers, Sharon Carter, and Nick Fury this is for you. If you've never read a comic book before, this adventure is a great place to dip your toes in the pond.
Artemis
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Remember when it seemed like the new version of 616 Bucky was going to be interesting?

That didn't last long.

This is worth reading for the tragedy of the Winter Soldier and the expert way it is told. Brubaker is firing on all cylinders here, and it makes for emotional, compelling reading. It's just a shame that the series and the character never lived up to the promise of these issues.
Justin
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Captain America story. The introduction of the Winter Soldier is a really well done retcon, that makes perfect sense in the continuity. This volume is a great spy triller with superheros and cosmic cubes, and its really great.
J
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm a bit biased going into this one... the Winter Soldier is one of my favourite Marvel characters. Admittedly I would have liked to see a bit more of him in the story, but that which I saw I enjoyed immensely. Overall this was a well-done graphic novel and I loved reading it.
Ellen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
More of a 2.5, because most of this volume was boring, flat, and predictable. But! The very end, when we find out that (view spoiler), was fun enough to make me round up to a 3.
Bruno Rio
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Winter soldier is a quite good bbook. Another side in Cap's storyline. Still did not quite live up to volume one. A bit disappoinnted...
The Glassed And The Furious
Trus nobody, that's pretty much it. I love how you can read a comic and it's just like a mirror of society at that time.
Kevin Carey
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the best Cap runs ever. Love seeing the DNA used for the movie. Just feels like a different type of comic book
Ryan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another very good Captain America collection, finishing off the Winter Soldier storyline. Ending felt rushed, but otherwise extremely well written.
Jason
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Felt like the end was rushed, plus the inconsistency in art was a negative.
Carks
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay Ed, that's it, you did it, I'm actually interested in Winter Soldier now.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • The New Avengers, Volume 4: The Collective
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 4: Stark Disassembled
  • Black Widow: The Name of the Rose
  • Avengers Disassembled: Thor
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Captain America: The Chosen
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Captain America (2004) (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Civil War: Captain America
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face