Start by marking “My Heart Wanders: A celebration of taking risks, letting go and making a home wherever you are” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
What would happen if one day you decided to follow your heart? Where would it take you? Author Pia Jane Bijkerk takes us on her journey as she leaves her comfortable life in Sydney to follow, unconditionally, her instincts.

Setting up home first in Paris, then on a houseboat in Amsterdam, Pia observes the serendipitous moments that only present themselves when you let go an
Published January 5th 2011 by Murdoch Books

To ask other readers questions about My Heart Wanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart Wanders

Annette
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I expected this book to reveal Pia's beautiful take on the world through her deeply personal and creative photography. I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised by her gentle prose, most of which I connected to as a fellow explorer of life and beauty. Her writing style is sometimes self deprecating, and always thoughtful, probing her responses and feelings in order to better understand herself and the world around her. I loved being a part of her journey, and have attempted to embrace some of princi ...more
Linda
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, paris, travel
This book really is a celebration of living the creative life and looking for the good wherever you are. The divine photographs are a story in themselves. I now find myself looking for a heart shape in unexpected places. This book was a joy to read.
Raechel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like and want to travel.
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
A very lovely memoir about a woman who moves from Australia to France after going there for vacation. Bijkerk is a stylist and photographer, so along with little essays about traveling and how she felt and what she learned, there are really beautiful photographs in this book.

This would make a fantastic coffee table book: it lays flat when you open it, and every page has either a lovely photograph or an interesting stand-alone essay on her travels.
Rhiannon
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book is very important to me. I found it when I was wandering a small tourist town in Melbourne and it spoke to me. Unfortunately I couldn’t afford it at the $60AU markup price so I ordered it from The Book Depository for $25NZD a few days later.

It’s about a photographer and interior designer, Bijkerk, as she travels to find her heart. It’s very romantic but, at the same time, painfully realistic and I find her style is similar to my own. It’s about finding and creating home/s, which is ver
Ann
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love books like this; written about a journey of any kind; whether real or imaginary.
I bought the book when I was compiling a comprehensive photo book because I liked its’ density and simplicity of layout; the opacity of photographs. Pias’ journey is a personal one, interwoven with ‘real travel’ and at times I found I would be thinking of a comparison in my life which is perhaps a little egotisic but true, as I tend to follow my heart. I like the way Pias’ prose and photographs are interspers
Felicity
What a lovely read, and it's not often that I READ a coffee table book! It's full of wonderful inspirational thoughts and beautiful photography. Everything about this book is just right. It's a very honest account of a young woman's professional and emotional journey to find her place in the world. I loved the conversational text and found her journey interesting. The icing on the cake for me, was that it ended with a quote from my favourite character, from one of my favourite television series. ...more
Libby
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful. Not just in the writing and photography, but as a tangible thing. It's quite heavy, and the paper is gorgeous, and the way everything is laid out is a feast for the eyes.
And the content--it's magic. It makes me want to travel and search my soul and go on an adventure.
I can tell this is the kind of book I will pick up again and again. Perhaps to read through from cover to cover, maybe to soothe wanderlust, or even for inspiration.
Dulce Salazar
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What can i say about that is not already said? I could start with how much i loved, or how inviting it was the words, what i really want to say is that i read it as slow as i could because i wanted to enjoy every single word, every single image, in parts i cried because i realize how i forgot about my dreams and hopes, it was like a wake up call, a do something, a start thinking and make come true all those ideas and dreams.
Sherry Mackay
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Attractive photos and a nice heavy feel to the book in your hand. I am not a huge fan of her literary style - a bit too flowery and overly sentimental but not a bad look into her life. I enjoyed the Amsterdam part of the book; how fab to live on a house boat. I did like the pallet bed she made for their apartment in Paris; will have to get me one of those.
Nicole
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Lovely photographs and beautiful sentiments laced together with a woman longing to find her home or what home means to her. Took me some time to get used to the sort of stream of consciousness used in the book but it was enjoyable. It felt good to read about someone who wanted to find her home, who knew that while she loved where she came from, she knew she couldn't stay forever.
Heather
Feb 26, 2011 marked it as to-read
love this gal. and published just in time for my summer follow my dreams-ing. hip hip hooray.
Sonya Madden
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stunning... I read it cover to cover and went back through it again to admire the images. Fantastic!
Emma Crameri
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It meanders along, but the illustrations are breathtaking. It makes me want to hope the next plane and head over to Europe with my digital camera.
Lien Vong
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been following Pia's blog for a while so was excited to find this in my local library. I especially enjoyed the part where she moves to Amsterdam.
Kylie Doye-vella
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book... Lovely words, pictures and presentation... Just a pleasure to read
Robyn Letourneau
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gcac-15, aww-2015
My heart Wanders has to be one of the prettiest books I've read so far
*Hilde*
Feb 10, 2013
Nicola
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please edit listed number of pages. 4 14 Mar 08, 2017 07:39AM
  • Dan Eldon: Safari as a Way of Life
  • Apple of My Eye
  • The Flying Carpet of Small Miracles: A Woman's Fight to Save Two Orphans
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • An Open Swimmer
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Up With the Larks: Starting Again in Cornwall
  • A Family in Paris: Stories of Food, Life and Adventure
  • Humble Homes, Simple Shacks, Cozy Cottages, Ramshackle Retreats, Funky Forts: And Whatever the Heck Else We Could Squeeze in Here
  • Worse Things Happen at Sea
  • Ant Egg Soup: The Adventures of a Food Tourist in Laos
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Wedding Bells Ahead (Grandma's Attic #7)