Start by marking “How to Hug” as Want to Read:
How to Hug

How to Hug

Hugs can be tricky! But you can learn how to hug. Never hug anyone too tight—ouch! And don’t hug too many people at once—uh-oh! You can be a leg hugger or a bear hugger or a surprise hugger. If you don’t want a hug, it’s okay to say so. But if you learn how to give a hug and do it just right, you might get one back...so be ready! Jana Christy’s digital illustrations provid ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about How to Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Hug

Start your review of How to Hug
Dana-Adriana B.
Hug time

In this book is all about hugging and kissing. The idea is nice but as the author says hugs are not for everybody.
Maryann Macdonald
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: childrens, gift-books
I was living in France when I wrote this book, and I couldn't help noticing how much French people kissed each other but seemed a little uncomfortable with hugs. Americans, on the other hand, were always hugging but kissing...not so much! So, I wondered, is it possible to figure out when to hug...and when not? That's how this book about boundaries came to be. ...more
Susan
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good sensible hugging advice!

Picked up this book to read with my granddaughter. Loved the artwork! And the artwork really punctuated the story. It’s all about appropriate hugging. Great advice about the limits and benefits of hugging others. Good book for everyone to review and to think about before sharing that well-intended hug.
We learned that Body boundaries, attitudes, or personal space preference sometimes do not allow a hug. This book also covers guidance on how to read a person behavior
Sara
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How to Hug by Maryann Macdonald illustrated by Jana Christy is an adorable picture book about hugs. There is advice on different types of hugs and hugging different types of people and creatures and super cute illustrations.

I handed this to my daughter who loved it (as did I) and everyone in the house got extra special hugs after reading the book. It's cute and easy to read.

I would recommend this book to readers 0-7 . It makes a super cute read aloud.
Emily Swope Campbell
Hugs.

I enjoyed the book which I purchased to read to my Granddaughter. I ran into some technical difficulties. The book does not work on my kindle or iPad. My phone let me check it out, but I struggled enlarging the words. Perhaps you could get your tech team to research it. Thank you.
Megan
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: infants-preschoolers
A variety of animals and children hug in different situations. A very sweet book for families to share, but may also be useful in teaching hug-etiquette for socially challenged youngsters. Advice like "don't hold on too long" and "it's ok to say no" is important for all huggers to know! ...more
jacky
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because it looked cute. After the first reading, it was a favorite of Natalie's for about a month including days she demanded we read it multiple times. Fun pictures. Sweet topic. Plenty to talk about in the pictures from naming the animals to the emotions. ...more
Sylvia K. Ashton-Holste
Happy hugging

Positive, upbeat, happy and fu
n to read. A lovely book for all ages young and old alike. Share it with someone you love. A cute gift for Valentine's day with no hidden romantic agenda. Would recommend to anyone.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the illustrations on this story were really lovely, but the text was just okay for me hence my 4 star rating. Young children will enjoy all of the styles of hugs.
David
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book. Children and adults, looking to avoid a 'hug' mistake, should enjoy it alike. ...more
Kim
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, animals, hugs
Very cute, simple story about hugs that made me laugh out loud a few times.
Emily
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd
Cute book about how to hug--great if kids are struggling with the actual how to part. Possibly even a how-to book?
Jenn O'Brien
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anybody want a hug? Adorable story with terrific illustrations. This would make a great bedtime story.
Sarah Brady
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

my daughter and I both enjoyed this cute book, and is admittedly an over hugger...which is exactly why I borrowed it.
JoAnna Studer
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent book on social cues. Read with your kiddos if they are working to navigate social interaction.
Kristen Hoy
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique & sweet!

I love how it explains that some people don't like to be hugged, and if you don't, speak up! I love how it is funny, sweet, and informative.
Donna Mork
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about giving hugs properly. Don't hold on too long. It's ok to say no. Special hugs like bear hugs and guess-who hugs. ...more
Susan Waltman
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
World's cutest picture book!! ...more
Debbie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
💜Nice, with beautiful illustrations, too!💕

Covers hugging situations in a positive, enlightening and very age appropriate way, including the right to turn down some hugs.
Marissa
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book

Cute, sweet and silly at times. The book was also nicely illustrated. A Perfect read for kids right before bedtime.
Annie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good nighttime story

This was a cute, short story with good pictures. A bit simple but a good before bed read that my 6 year old enjoyed.
Liz Todd
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, how-to
Perfect for our How-to unit... warnings and comparisons.
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great illustrations. so fun!! i love the cover ... fun read. i love hugs. i guess some do not?? do u?
Anna
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: prek-books
A sweet book about how to hug. It shows the different ways to hug and tells you that not everyone wants a hug, that it's okay to say no if you don't want a hug, and that sometimes you gotta be patient if someone is angry and doesn't want a hug when you want to hug them. I think this is a nice book to teach children about hugging and when it is and isn't appropriate to hug.

The illustrations are really cute and have a nice color palette to them.
Robert
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Short and sweet but some odd order of pages that made it feel like incomplete ideas.
Cheryl
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay but not exceptional...

I bought "How to Hug" to read to my twin grandchildren when they get a little older. I read over the book and thought it was rather blah.

The illustrations are better than the story, which I thought had some strange ideas about hugs. Never hug anyone when they are angry? Hmmm...what better time does someone need hugging? I did like that one section said it was alright to say no to a hug.

Some of the illustrations were cute but a bit off, too, showing children hugging an
Heidi-Marie
I'm trying to figure out if this book was supposed to be completely light, or if there was some intended advice or words of wisdom to it. If the latter is the case, then I have a few issues. And being a lover of hugs, I'm not surprised that I do. If it is the former, then this is just a silly book to smile at. I think the illustrations are great, and definitely the best part.

P.S. Whether the former or the latter is true, I still feel bad for the porcupine. And the skunk. Reminds me of "I Wanna
Stefani
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
A little too sweet for my taste, but the writing is good and the illustrations are soft and as lovable as a good hug.
Rachel
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Simple book about hugs, kid and animals make a great combination.
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Another cute picture book, this one about all the different kinds of hugs. Might be fun for a storytime on hugs.

• Pete the Cat and the Treasure Map
  • Pete the Cat: Out of This World
  • Mac and Cheese
  • The House Takes A Vacation
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Never Let A Unicorn Get Spots!
  • Elephant Eats the Profits (Sweet Pickles, #5)
  • P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Curious George
  • Love You, Baby
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A BabyLit® Camping Primer
  • The Berenstain Bears: That's So Rude!
  • I Love You, Little Pookie

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...