Start by marking “Dictionary of Christian Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Dictionary of Christian Spirituality

Dictionary of Christian Spirituality

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In recent decades Christian spirituality, spiritual formation and spiritual theology have become important concepts in the global evangelical community. Consequently, an accessible and reliable academic resource is needed on these topics---one that will offer a discerning orientation to the wealth of ecumenical resources available while still highlighting the distinct heri ...more
Published July 23rd 2011 by Zondervan (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dictionary of Christian Spirituality

Shaun
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
In my humble opinion, Bible geeks such as myself can never have too many reference works at their disposal and I am always an easy sell (AKA sucker) for a good dictionary. Now when I think about biblical and theological dictionaries that would enhance the list of reference works available in my personal library, the first publisher that comes to mind in this category is generally IVP (InterVarsity Press). As much as they might try, IVP cannot keep this space all to themselves, so I was excited t ...more
Gregory
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mentioning "spirituality" makes the typical conservative Christian think of meditation, saying the Jesus Prayer, and similar practices which sound suspiciously New-Age. But, this new "Dictionary of Christian Spirituality" should dispel such notions. The authors are firmly grounded in Biblical theology, and find their moorings in the Evangelical tradition. At the same time, they welcome the truths that other traditions have emphasized.

The book is divided into two parts: (1) a series of integrati
Benjamin Vineyard
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
These essays and entries have set me to thinking... I enjoy where they take me and find them applicable for, 1.) fancying my own imagination on such things and, 2.) teaching matters of spiritual vitality (which I personally describe as decreasing resistance to the Spirit of God would would mature us collectively into the Image of Christ) in a simple way.

This dictionary has a way about itself that is simple and accessible. This is also its fault for while many of the topics within are easy to re
Jstrick
As with most dictionaries, this work provides an excellent introduction to the field of Christian spirituality, though some articles are definitely stronger than others. For example, Witvliet's article on "liturgical spirituality" is engrossing. Would definitely recommend for those interested in this area of study.
Hamid