Start by marking “Murphy's Boy” as Want to Read:
Murphy's Boy

Murphy's Boy

His name was Kevin but his keepers called him Zoo Boy. He didn't talk. He hid under tables and surrounded himself with a cage of chairs. He hadn't been out of the building in the four years since he'd come in. He was afraid of water and wouldn't take a shower. He was afraid to be naked, to change his clothes. He was nearly 16.

Desperate to see change in the boy,
Published December 1st 1983 by Avon (first published 1983)

Kris
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Say you were a mental health professional, well-respected, a leader in your field. Well-liked by your peers, your opinion is sought on their cases, and they often ask for your assistance with their trickier clients. Now, say your boss calls you into his office and tells you that you're fired. Not because you can't do your job, not because you're difficult to work with, but because it's 1980s Florida, and Dade County has just passed sweeping anti-gay legislation, and it's been discovered that you ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Recently I saw the film adaptation of this book, Trapped in Silence, and it was an amazing film so I decided to read the book to see if it was as good. I can gladly say that the book is even better. It's much more detailed and gripping, really a wonderful story of one woman who makes all the difference in the world to a forgotten kid.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
I’m on a Torey Hayden binge. In MURPHY’S BOY, Kevin, a selective-mute teenager is her client. Over several years they work together through his anger and trauma. At times Kevin is violent, so violent Torey fears for his safety. Most everyone has given up on him, but Torey refuses.

MURPHY’S BOY is another dated book. Some of the terminology is antiquated and cringe-worthy. In one case a male therapist is fired because he’s “a homosexual” which is still legal in some states in the USA.<
Ingie
Review written September 07, 2019

4.6 STARS - I just love Kevin’s story. Heartwarming!!

I just finished Murphy’s boy as a 11 hours audiobook terrific narrated in Swedish by Anja Lundqvist and ...

I LOVED this book as much as I did 30 years ago reading the paperback for the very first time. This was also my first book by the psychologist / teacher Torey L. Hayden and I remember I recommended it to friends. I don’t know why but I just can’t forget the story about this ugly poor shaky teen kid who was so afraid and deadly scared sitting2019
4.6
Don
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been employed in the rehabilitation field since 1983 and have held my current position with the New York State commission for the Blind since 1989. If you were to ask me the author whose writing has had the most impact on my work, I'm pretty sure my answer would surprise you. It wouldn't be a vocational theorist, though their publications are certainly important. It wouldn't be a researcher, though I definitely value what they publish. It wouldn't be a blindness expert or one of the many ...more
Melinda Leigh
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, heartbreaking, and inspiring.
Blanches Jeanne
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-no
at first i was like:
description
really cant describe my feeling.

then i got mad to this book:
description

but then i realized it's reality. and reality sucks!
description

aku baca ini beberapa bulan set
The Book Girl
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book but will take it at its merit. This is a "supposed" personal true story told by a therapist. Does anyone but me think that it is unethical that this story was told? or published. Maybe I am silly

I disliked the way the author expressed her view in this book. She was judgemental and at times rude in her talking about Kevin. She says shes helping him, but then talks about him the next moment. I felt she lacked compassion, which she was supposed to provide thes
J.H. Moncrieff
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, Torey Hayden's writing rips out my heart and stomps on it, leaving me feeling slightly broken and battered. No one writes as beautifully as her about such starkly horrible things, and I have no idea how she manages to do what she does.

Murphy's Boy is the story of one of Hayden's unloveable, "unredeemable" children--in this case, a fifteen-year-old boy whose eight-year silence conceals a terrifying rage. Her willingness to continually put her own safety and sanity at risk i
Siri
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
all hayden books get 4 stars from me bc they changed my life when i was in high school and made me want to be a psychologist to help kids like she did. She is not meant to be a young adult writer.. I think her books are meant for adults, so don't think it's a kiddy book just cuz I read 'em in high school! I don't remember much about the writing (they are all written in first person) but the TRUE stories about the children who she has worked with are heartbreaking and inspiring. Haven't read one ...more
Anne
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I like her books, always have. Guess they appeal to the teacher part of me. But they always make me so sad, too that there are so many kids out there with such trauma in their lives and the system fails them.
This one is about Kevin who is almost 16, elective mute, afraid of everything, hides under the tables. Once again Torey works her magic.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
This book pulls you in. I read it in two days. Story is very sad and frustrating at times but well worth the tears. Torey Hayden is my all time favorite author. Front of books says He was a frightened boy who refused to speak until a teacher's love broke through the silence.
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
Another good read by Torey Hayden. I would love to know how Kevin is doing now. Liked this book a bit better than Twiligth Children
Jeanine
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching story.
Diane
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kevin refuses to respond to his environment at a mental hospital. Everyone calls him "Zoo Boy". As a last ditch effort to reach Kevin a therapist is called to try to reach Kevin whose about to age out of the facility. The story will break the reader's heart. At the same time, the determination of some people to reach Kevin is quite impressive. I don't know if I could do it or not. The ending was great.
Lainy
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 3 days

Publisher - Avon

Pages - 324

Blurb From Goodreads

Desperate to see change in the b
Betryal
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-psychology
Torey Hayden - Silent Boy (Murphy's Boy) Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born May 21, 1951 in Livingston, Montana) is a child psychologist, special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counselling children with special needs.Subjects covered in her books include autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, and elective mutism (now called selective mutism), her specialty
Nicole
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-psychology
Torey Hayden - Murphy's Boy (SILENT BOY) Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born May 21, 1951 in Livingston, Montana) is a child psychologist, special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counselling children with special needs.Subjects covered in her books include autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, and elective mutism (now called selective mutism), her specialty
Beth Peninger
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing story. What makes it, in part, so amazing is it is true. Really happened. Several things about this true account of Kevin's story and Hayden's part in it made this book hard to put down. It was one of those books I found myself anxious to get back to when I couldn't be reading it.
Hayden first meets Kevin sequestered under a table and unwilling to speak to anyone for the past 6+ years. His fears have caged he and his voice and the facility he lives in is desperate to know what to
Liz Dean
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found my old copy of this book, and re-read it: (its been about 15 years). Torey Hayden remains the author that affected me the most as a teenager: from volunteering at group homes when I was in highschool to going through a Social Work program in college (with the intention of being a therapist, it was all because of this one, single book.

I have read all of her other books, and I did have a chance to meet her in Europe long ago, but reading this after all those years still hits me
Kevin Alistair
To clarify my 3 star rating - a rating that means to be, 'Yes, it was more good than bad' - I need to provide a short break down for my rating.

Writing Style: 2 stars. Torey Hayden's writing has it's moments. It's heartfelt and she knows how to structure her chapters and episodes well. But I found myself skimming her long, repetitive inner monologues. All I was interested in was the dialogue between characters - especially her interviews with Kevin.

Her Career: I have to give her 5 st
Michelle Vargas
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Murphy's Boy is a non-fiction and a case study book. When Torey first met Kevin,he was barricaded under a table surrounded by chairs. Kevin was afraid of everything. He has not spoken in several years. Torey was able to get him to talk, but then Kevin tells stories of his past. He reveals a violent childhood that Torey does not know much about.
There many things I liked about the book. I liked how I had to keep on guessing what was going to happen next. It was like a mini-suspense story.
Julie Nye
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish there was a way to review Ms. Hayden's books as a group. It would hard to overstate the impact they had on me in my young adult years. The stories themselves are (mostly) not for the faint of heart, and close to horrifying. But they serve a golden purpose in teaching people to think outside their own minds, to understand realities other than their own, and hopefully apply a more effective filter to the human problems around them.

Murphy's Boy tells of a young man with more horrific challe
Alicia Stevens
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Murphy's Boy is the incredible true story about a psychologist Torey Hayden, who took on 15-year-old Kevin's case. Kevin was known as "zoo-boy" because he baraccaided himself under a table with chairs all around and hadn't spoken a word in eight years! Through Hayden's love, compassion, and constant devotion and persistence, she not only was able to get to Kevin to start talking again, but she uncovered a shocking violent history, along with a secret that had been filed away and forgotten.

Altho
Amanda B
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: my sister
120208: Read part 1 today.. Not at all like her other books. Whereas all the children in her other books seem in desperate need of her help, Kevin scares me. It feels to me like he's playin games.

130208: I loved this book. finished it today. Would've finished it earlier but today was the day every one decided to knock on my door. I dint want to put the book down, it was driving me crazy.

He (Kevin) was definately a little crazy but when it come out about the horriffic abuse he was pa
Kitty
Out of all of Torey's books I have read, this was the hardest. "Heartbreaking" doesn't begin to cover it. I've worked with kids for 20+ years, first as a social worker, and now as a therapist for 14 years. So when I say that someone's horror story of child abuse really shook me, that's saying a lot. Maybe this is because a lot of kids I see are out of bad situations and starting to heal and are, overall, safe. Or because I feel some control-- however illusory that might be-- over the outcome. It ...more
Meagan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this the way I have enjoyed the authors other works. Written so similar to fiction, sometimes I forget these are actual patients and people she has worked with.

There were many instances I disagreed with the approach that Ms. Hayden took in her treatment of Kevin. However, I can see why she continued working with him after situations and events that would cause most people to halt any further activities. She has the ability to see through her patients/students pasts, as is t
Deirdre
Nov 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In Silent Boy, Torey Hayden introduces us to Kevin, an elective mute and her efforts to break his years of self enforced silence. While not seeking to undermine the work which she undertakes with damaged children, this book carries the usual critism of social services and how they fail children, while Ms Hadyen presents herself as an avenging saviour. I feel certain that if social workers were given the resources which they greatly need in order to work individually with children in a therapeuti ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Broken Child
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Street Kid
  • Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk
  • No One Listened: Two children caught in a tragedy with no one else to trust except for each other
  • P.S. Your Not Listening
  • Struck by Living: From Depression to Hope
  • Unloved: The True Story of a Stolen Childhood
  • Just A Boy: The True Story Of A Stolen Childhood
  • Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror
“It's a funny place, this world. Hate has rights. Love has none.” 14 likes
“Beauty may be only skin deep but the judgments founded on it ten to go a lot deeper, whether we wished they would or not.” 1 likes