Start by marking “Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)

Into the Shadows

(A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)

When Rodney Hill, wrongly arrested for a series of murders, hangs himself, Jill Kennedy, the forensic psychologist whose profile led to Hill’s arrest, gives up her work with the police and moves to the peaceful village of Kelton Bridge to write self-help books, enjoy a quiet life with her cats and perhaps an occasional flutter on the horses.

Then the likeable but unremarkab
Published May 17th 2007 by Carroll & Graf (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Shadows

Sharon Mensing
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first in a new British series (to me, anyway) with Jill Kennedy, a forensic psychologist, at the center along with a detective, Max Trentham. The book is mainly set in the small village in which they both live, and there are two murders to solve: a serial killer nick-named "Valentine," and the deaths of the town vicar and his wife. Jill and Max have a history together, and as the book progresses, they dance around each other with their relationship becoming clearer. There are clues t ...more
Fictionophile
There is nothing quite like the pleasure of discovering a new series that really grips you from the beginning.
"Into the shadows" did not dwell on the gory side of the forensic details, so it should appeal to those who normally shy away
from forensic novels for that reason. Jill Kennedy has 'retired' from her job as a police forensic criminal profiler. She has
bought a cottage in the country where she intends to write of her past experiences. Of course, her job follows her when the serial killer wh
Rena George
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Forensic psychologist, Jill Kennedy, has trouble forgiving herself when her wrong profile diagnosis of a serial killer leads to the wrongful arrest of Rodney Hill. She gives up her work and moves to the rural peace of Kelton Bridge.
But it seems that murder follows her wherever she goes, for just as she is settling into the community, the vicar's wife, Alice Trueman, meets a brutal end.
Jill's cheating ex-partner, DCI Max Trentham, leads the murder hunt, and despite her reluctance, Jill finds hers
Linda Baker
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forensic psychologist Jill Kennedy has recently moved to the village of Kelton Bridge, having quit police work after a case went wrong. A man arrested as a serial killer based on Jill's profile committed suicide in jail. He was not guilty and after another woman turns up murdered, everyone knows that the killer,"Valentine", is still at large. Valentine is a particularly vicious killer who carves hearts into his victim's flesh. The pressure of what Jill perceives as her failure and the infidelity ...more
Spuddie
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable first in series featuring a forensic psychologist, Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham as they try to track down a serial killer called Valentine. They've already gotten it wrong once--a year ago, the wrong man was arrested and convicted and subsequently killed himself, and Valentine has struck again...and he's leaving little "gifts" for Jill at her new cottage in a nearby village. Jill has given up her job with the police to concentrate on writing--and her relationship with Max a ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
This first book in the series featuring forensic psychologist Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham is set in the small English village of Kelton Bridge
I enjoyed the characters and the village :)
A serial killer is on the loose - called Valentine. He cuts hearts out of his victim's bodies. The main Characters, Jill and Max, thought they had caught him, but they had the wrong man. Jill retires from profiling, and moves to a small village to write books, and Max continues in the police force - but on
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well written book with pleasant characters so 4 stars. The plot, the hunt for a serial killer of prostitutes, offers nothing new and the subplot, the murder of the vicar's wife, is rather ludicrous. This is a cozy mystery in that there is no blood and guts and very little reference to actual police procedure. I guessed who the murderer was early on because so little was said about him. It is a pleasant way to pass a few mindless hours.
Leslie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this mystery. Too bad I read the second one first!
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
English village mysteries are one of the categories that remind me that even though I love the dark and noir side of crime fiction, a little lighter fare every now and again is good for the psyche. Or at least a welcome change in approach. I'm always on the lookout for a new "series" of these style of books to accumulate for when I'm looking for something lighter as I'm running a little short of favourites to turn to.

INTO THE SHADOWS is a more modern take on the traditional English village style
Dan
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Review based on the audio book read by Shirley Dixon.
Although this wasn't anything special, I kind of liked the way it flowed. It was very stereotypical in the characterisation with all the male characters depicted as potential suspects, even though the 'real' Valentine was obvious from the first chapter in my opinion. It's been a while since I read a detective-thriller from a female author, and the differences between her male peers were very obvious. I felt that some of the characters were no
Lynda Kelly
This was a good story though all of a sudden near the end it all seemed to get a bit rushed, I thought. I liked both Jill and Max as characters and there are plenty of other characters in the village the author could keep in her series.
Annoyingly, Amazon keeps referring to the subtitles on these books as Max Tentham instead of Trentham. Not great if they can't even get the titles displayed correctly.
Another aggravation for me was the Americanised spellings in a book set in the UK. I hate it when
Mike Gabor
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
A very good debut introducing forensic psychologist Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham.

Jill Kennedy has given up police work and moved to Kelton Bridge to write self-help books. The reason for this is because of a profile she wrote about a serial killer named Valentine the wrong man was arrested and he later committed suicide.

Soon after settling in the town's vicar wife is murdered and Jill is reluctently brought back to help find the killer by her ex-lover and colleague DCI Max Trentham. At firs
Elizabeth Bailey
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is extremely well written and held me involved throughout, which says a lot for the author because I'm less a fan of police procedurals than amateur sleuths. But I liked the chilling edge and she kept me guessing right to the end. A collection of fascinating characters very well-drawn and I warmed to Jill and Max as the story progressed. Loved the cats!
Mary Bowman
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent start to (so far) a three-book series. I do wish the main characters could resolve their petty differences, but I guess this is going to be like Pam and Jim on "The Office" - the suspense is going to keep on for a bit. Not critical to read these books in any order, but it does help with the backstory. Another fine British mystery writer!
Marie
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm always looking for new British Police Procedural series. This was an easy read and kept my attention. Protagonists in jeopardy are not a favorite theme of mine so hopefully this is a once and done occurrence. Looking forward to reading the next installment.
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
This was a good read but I didn't find it as 'gripping' as some however, it did keep me turning the pages and had 2 different crimes interlinked. The main culprit didn't become clear until nearly the last page so will probably read the others in the series.
Stina
Loved it! Love the good British murder mysteries. Even better with pets. So glad Holly settled in the end and Max kept her. So having gone from "no, we are not getting a dog!" they end up with two! lol
Sian Thomas
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I havent read anything by the author before but definately would again and for 80p on Amazon Kindle store it was a bargain!! There was a good storyline and grat insight into the characters. I would definately recomend this book
Bobby
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad, but I've read much better Brit mysteries.
Gillian
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I will be downloading the rest in the series. Highly recommended for all mystery lovers.
Allison Tolhurst
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this and then immediately bought the second one in the series. Good who dunnit set in a sleepy village, but with a nice twist.
Julie
Nov 17, 2009 added it
This author had me guessing that about half the characters was the killer. So I appreciated the cleverness of the way she wove the tale.
Chrystine
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was not quite a cozy book. Very dark and criminal mindish. The ending was very anticlimactic and a bit disappointing. Will still try the second book in the series.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A British detective mystery, with interesting village characters and the kind of plot where the killer could be anyone. Kept me guessing to the end.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
First entry in an appealing new not-so-cozy Brit police procedural series: highly recommended for fans of Deborah Crombie and Hazel Holt.
Pam
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As with all Shirley Wells books, I found it a great read and love the characters,
Mamatufy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one & enjoyed the new characters interaction.
Cyber
May 26, 2015
Mar 03, 2013
Samantha
Jul 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deadly Focus (D.I. Jack Dylan #1)
  • Never Forget (DC Nina Foster, #1)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon #1)
  • Pray for the Dying (Bob Skinner, #23)
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • Killing by Colours
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Jessica Daniel, #5)
  • The Ayton Swans (Inspector McClennan, #1)
  • Eye Contact
  • A June of Ordinary Murders (Joe Swallow, #1)
  • Orchestrated Death (Bill Slider #1)
  • The Lost Child
  • Three, Four... Better Lock Your Door (Rebekka Franck #2)
  • Ice Moon

A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery (6 books)
  • A Darker Side (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #2)
  • Where Petals Fall (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #3)
  • The Broken Circle (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #4)
  • Shades of Evil (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #5)
  • The Final Echoes (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #6)