Start by marking “Runaways, Volume 4: True Believers” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Volume 4: True Believers

Runaways, Volume 4: True Believers

(Runaways (2005) #4)

When a group of teenagers discovers that their parents are actually super-villains, they run away from home... but that's only step one! Now that the evil Pride is gone, nearly every bad guy in the Marvel Universe is trying to fill the power vacuum in Los Angeles, and the Runaways are the only heroes who can stop them! Plus: What does a mysterious new team of young heroes ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Marvel (first published October 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Volume 4

Sh3lly
And I thought the last one was my favorite.

So, I think what happened originally was (back in 2005 or whenever this was first released), they weren't sure if the last volume would be the end of the series and then they got renewed/extended. The previous main arc of the last three volumes was completed in the last volume and this is basically like a "new beginning" for the Runaways.

We've got the alien, Karolina (who can fly and has mega energy blasts she can shoot out of her body), the mutant Moll
Chad
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you liked the previous Runaways run by Vaughan, you're sure to enjoy this as well. Vaughan gives us a bit of a fresh start after the previous series ends with the death of The Pride. Our Runaways are living their lives in their new home under the La Brea tar pits when a future version of Gerdy warns them of a snake in the nest that murders all the superheroes 20 years in the future. So the Runaways go in search of this baddie (who may not necessarily be bad currently.) That's the main impetus ...more
Paul E. Morph
Book 11 of 2019.

Another great volume of the Runaways, where things are not what they seem. This is a re-read for me and it’s great spotting all the little clues to things that will happen later that went completely over my head the first time.
Scarlet Cameo
I though know what happen!!! The spell work out!!!

So this in this volumen came Victor (and i really loved Victor in Civil War, and yes, because of that i knew who is his dad before they said it). I don't know what to think, really like more the last volumes but this isn't bad, just not as good.

By the way, who the hell created this covers? Every single one make me believe the worst can happen!!!

Anyway, the next volume hopely give me some answer
Robert
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
Better than volume 3, with some glorious swerves of misdirection and some of Vaughan's trademark wit.

Victor is a great new character, and the final panels would seem to imply a reckoning is in the offing.
Cisz Strasters
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ik HOU echt steeds meer van deze serie!!! Jammer dat ik nog maar 4 delen heb liggen en dat het dan klaar is... en daar waar ik bij Ms Marvel de toevoeging van de andere superhelden niet nodig vond, zijn ze hier juist geweldig toegepast!!! Love it!!! En de humor... echt geniaal.
Nikki
This is still pretty fun, with an interesting new plotline. I love that Gert, the dumpier, least cool looking kid is the one having a fun and successful relationship. I wish there'd been more character time, though -- and if Ultron is the Big Bad he's meant to be, how come he was taken down so easily...?

Anyway, I always start reading a volume kind of sceptical, not entirely into it. But I always finish them in one go. They don't compare to the Young Avengers for me, but they're fun.
Wing Kee
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid and solid.

World: The art is fine, as I said Alphona's characters are very expressive and that's the high point of the art. The world building this time around is also solid. It's not in your face but it does have enough to set the stage and make the story interesting.

Story: Solid what are the Runaways suppose to do now? Simple, they continue their mission and that's what Vaughan did. It's a simple premise well told resulting in a fun book. The plot kept me guessing and the reveal also bu
Joy
"What's... what's your power?"
"A poor upbringing."

Okay, can we just take a moment and appreciate this cover in all its glory:

Even got a bit of the traitor in there too. (Can you find him?)

A good start to the second collection of Runaways volumes: Actual time travel. Introduction of new main character. Limited random drama or romance. Action-filled fight scenes. Injection of classic villain.

A good, solid issue all around. I recommend it to Marvel lovers who don't mind the focus being on a new cha
Roy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues a great story. Vaughan has created a pretty cool bunch of super heroes.
Lorna
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Runaways Vol: 4 (2005 Issues: #1-#6) "True believers" / "Verdaderos creyentes" ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5)

Luego de la desaparición de Pride, quienes tenían el control del crimen en Los Ángeles, varios villanos quieren ocupar su lugar y los Runaways son los únicos que pueden detenerlos.
En eso, sus caminos se cruzan con el de Victor Mancha quién está destinado a destruirlos.

¡Me gustó muchísimo!

A continuación la valoración por cada número:
#1: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐(5/5)
#2: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 (4.5/5)
#3: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 (4.5/5)
#4: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 (4.5/5)
#5:
Mouse
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Runaways years ago, but since the new t.v. series started up I decided to go back and reread these.
This is a good series, it's written well and doesn't feel dumb like some other comics written for a youthful audience. It's full of drama, teen angst, superheroes, action, romance, and so much more.
This was actually the first volume I could locate at my local library and I haven't read the first 3 volumes in well over a decade, yet it was easy picking this up and continuing on.
It's a
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
I was slightly concerned that this comic wouldn't be able to match the brilliance of the previous story arc. While it was a tough act to follow, this second story arc was still great. I didn't care for the introduction of a washed up third string former child heroes, I felt like it took away from the Runaways, and their character development.

Otherwise this continue to be a fun and fresh-feeling comic.
Caitlin
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In volume 4, the Runaways are, along with others in the LA area, trying to fill the power vacuum left by the destruction of the Pride. When a future Gert appears and tells them that they have to find a boy so that he cannot later destroy the Avengers, the Runaways are set on a collision course with a very familiar Marvel villain. And a mysterious benefactor contacts a group of former superheroes to try to get them to find the Runaways and get them off the streets and into normal lives. These for ...more
Joana Veríssimo
Again a GREAT comic, the story is still GREAT!! And I was definitely surprised :) But I didn't like the art in this one as much... the change in the art is a bit strange since the artist is still the same...
Ellie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics
I have read my fair share of graphic novels and I have tried some manga, but this is the first comic that has me absolutely HOOKED. I am so glad that I checked out several volumes at once, because I honestly don't think that I could have slept tonight without reading the next volume. This was jam-packed with action and suspense, plus great cameos by all sorts of Marvel heroes! Loved it!
Connie
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars

No f*cking way. I knew it. I knew that person couldn't be dead. Holy cow I'm so PUMPED.
Murphy
Krista Ivy
We meet the future version of one of our Runaways who then dies after sending them on a mission to stop a boy from becoming evil. Victor Mancha doesn't know who his father is, but it will determine who he is. Plus, some retired super heroes are sent out by an anonymous benefactor to retrieve the Runaways. Don't worry, the benefactor's a goodie.
Bill
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid story arc -- particularly interesting to see the effect on the Marvel Comics west coast now that "The Pride", the crime syndicate running it for decades (and parents to our titular Runaways) is dead and gone. Less interesting is the story arc introducing a new character, with the brief guessing game of which villainous legacy he has inherited. Great to see some has-been C-list young heroes get another moment in the sun as a group of "recovering heroes" hired to track down the main charac ...more
Désirée
I enjoy the series quite a lot and am looking forward to watching the tv show.
Amanda
Chihoe Ho
The return of Runaways in the aftermath of the first arc of the story is a much welcome one. They are a little older, a little more powerful, and maybe a little wiser, but definitely still the same youthful runaways who have a knack of running into troubles, or rather, have troubles hound them.

In terms of exciting plot developments and building buzzworthy credentials, this volume has it all. Through one of their troubles, a new runaways is added to the lineup in place of the mole from the first
Hanneleele
Superkangelasi on ikka nii palju ja nende universumeid ja tulevikke ja minevikke jms, pluss olen täheldanud, et nende puhul tahaks alati rohkem sisu, tegelaste kohta teada, nende mõtteid, tundeid jne, kui antakse. Ehk on tegu koomiksivormi puudusega? Igatahes on need head noortekad, mulle meeldib, et peaaegu kõik peategelased on ägedad tüdrukud ja ma tahan teada saada, mis neist edasi saab ja puha. Ning igasugused nohikuviited teistele asjadele on toredad. Aga tahaks igastühest neist rohkem tead ...more
Trin
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovel
The first few issues of the Runaways relaunch, after the series was canned and then resurrected (how very superhero comic of it). These are silly, but fun: I enjoyed them more than the series’ opening/original arc, though that may be just because 1) I haven’t read any Vaughan in a while, and I missed his mad yarn-spinning skills, or 2) I haven’t read far enough for the mystery to be revealed, so it hasn’t gotten the chance to get dumb yet. But in the mean time there are shapeshifting aliens and ...more
Roxanne
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roxanne by: Simeon Berry
I'm still really enjoying the Runaways. It was fun to see what the kids do with their powers and their freedom after the big confrontation at the end of volume 3. I did get annoyed with how they kept treating Victor like he's already a criminal when he technically hasn't done anything yet, and I'm wondering how they're going to decide when they've averted the danger here, considering that they won't know for sure if he kills them all until 20 years from now. I want to keep reading.
Kaethe Douglas
So now the teens not only have to work together to protect themselves, but the power vacuum left by their no-longer-overlording-parents means that LA now looks attractive to other villains.

They rise to the challenge.

Now is as good a time as any to mention that I love how Vaughan addressed the traditional gender imbalance of comics: he just created more female characters. Wow, that's easy.

Library copy.
Amanda
This one jumped all over the place with extra stories that didn't flow with the main plot...sigh. Still good but not great.

(See reviews of other volumes for my other issues with this series.)
Chelsea
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are generally fun. There is some diversity in the group, they generally have ok morals, and the stories are entertaining and definitely make puns or at least nod to other comics.
Shera (Book Whispers)
A nice setup volume to this new arc! It's great a kid from the "ultimate evil of the universe" joins the group, and The Pride may not be dead yet. Goodies!
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 3: Nimrod
  • X-Factor, Vol. 2: Life and Death Matters
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Powers, Vol. 7: Forever
  • Avengers: The Enemy Within
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 3: World Tour
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Runaways (2005) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2:  Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling