Start by marking “Attachments” as Want to Read:
Attachments

Attachments

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  138,504 Ratings  ·  17,541 Reviews
It's 1999 and the internet is still a novelty. At a newspaper office, two colleagues, Beth and Jennifer, e-mail back and forth, discussing their lives in hilarious details, from love troubles to family dramas. And Lincoln, a shy IT guy responsible for monitoring e-mails, spends his hours reading every exchange.

At first their e-mails offer a welcome diversion, but the more
Published February 2012 by Orion (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Attachments, please sign up.
Jenny It wasn't a minor subplot - the whole idea of the newspaper providing internet access to their employees later than their peers, etc was part of the…moreIt wasn't a minor subplot - the whole idea of the newspaper providing internet access to their employees later than their peers, etc was part of the paranoia and fear of the unknown that defines those years. I think she did an effective job of capturing that era without hitting us over the head with "It was the 20th century....not everyone had a cell phone then!" The Y2K plot point was also paralleled in the lives of all the main characters because something very significant occurred within a week or two of New Year's.(less)
Rachel That some characters have had sex is alluded to in very mild terms. There is one character who swears frequently (LOTS of F-words and some other…moreThat some characters have had sex is alluded to in very mild terms. There is one character who swears frequently (LOTS of F-words and some other profanity; he's also the one who smokes and frequents bars the most, though, so it's in line with his rough character).(less)

Zoë
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had attempted to read this book a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't feeling it and gave up after 40 pages. Man, am I happy that I gave it a second chance! This was so dang cute and surprisingly not cheesy despite the plot sounding like a total cheese-fest. I love how this wasn't just an adorable slow-building romance, but it also follows Lincoln and his difficulties with growing up and moving on. Definitely read this if you are a fan of Rainbow Rowell's other novels or romantic comedies!

Ashley
December 2015: I love you, book.

(Sidenote: After my first re-read, this may not be my favorite Rainbow Rowell book anymore? I still love it beyond reason, but I think she's just matured so much as an author, Carry On or Fangirl might overtake it when I get to them. I guess we'll see!)

February 2013: Falling in love with a book is exactly like falling in love with a person. In both cases, most of the time you just can’t help yourself, and what happens during the falling is almost entirely out of
Lilyan
CONTAINS SPOILERS

This book would have been sooo much better if not for the pathetic characters.

Meet Lincoln:

A 29 year old nerd who has multiple degrees, lives with his mom, plays dungeons and dragons on the weekend, is cripplingly awkward and hasn't been able to get over his high school sweetheart breakup for the past NINE years.... BUT WAIT! LINCOLN ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE THIS:

Ya.... I don't get it either.

Lincoln works as an internet cop. He snoops through people's emails and web histories,
Kassidy
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! I loved everything about it, definitely a new favorite. <3
Noelle
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Noelle by: Maggie
My office’s IT support guy has a blonde ponytail and once serenaded me with an Enrique Iglesias song while I was stuck at the copy machine waiting for a fax to go through. He was INTO IT. He was acting like it was some deep, deep rock anthem that TOUCHED HIS SOUL. Air acoustic guitar was involved. I did what any normal person would do: studiously avoided eye contact and went directly back to my desk to email my work best friend about it.

Actual email excerpt:
Me: I just got "I will be your hero,
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was such a good book! It's one of those books that just makes you feel ridiculously happy. I'm glad that booksplosion chose it as the book of the month for May!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 6/13/18: Welp I still completely adore this book. It definitely features some iffy stereotypes at times, but I still can’t help but to get the warmest of fuzzies every single time I read this book. Lincoln is the cutest and I just die every time 😍

Reread 11/3/17: Re-read this for TBT this month and I mean is anyone at all surprised that I still adored this? Look out for my TBT video going up next week to hear more in depth thoughts!

Reread 9/26/16: Re-read this and I definitely still love t
Regan
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
I AM GUSHING FROM THE CUTENESS
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This romance contemporary was creepy. Not cute. It felt like I was reading YA, not Adult and it was literally one step away from You by Caroline Kepnes.

The main character is basically described as a “loser”. He's 28, plays D&D, has no social skills, lives with his mom and has never gotten over his high school sweetheart... BUT WAIT he’s actually tall, muscular, hot and has multiple degrees!!!! Right.

I honestly don’t understand the hype.
With a few changes it could have easily been a thrille
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Finally! Twenty days and seventeen books into 2012 and I've finally, finally found something I can honestly say I loved. I knew it was going to be good from the very first chapter (which I promptly read to my mother while we both laughed). Giving it five stars might be a bit much, but I can't help it. This was funny, engaging, sweet, and, more importantly, smart. None of the characters were perfect, but they were written so realistically that their flaws added to their appeal. It felt like readi ...more
Kat O'Keeffe
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of Rainbow Rowell's books are adorable and amazing and funny and this is no exception! I think Fangirl is still my favorite of her books, but I loved Attachments a little bit more than E&P. VERY EXCITED FOR LANDLINE!
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Jenny

Buddyread with my big sister Rachel (who thought this was going to be boring-look who's laughing now. bahaha).

I don’t know who is more pathetic: characters leading pathetic lives or the reader who loved reading about these characters. I’m pretty sure it’s the latter although I could care less about what this says of me because I just inexplicably adore this novel. Many may disagree but I think the premise of this novel is completely original and IMO, the most creative plot yet in the four book
emma
I’m genuinely sad right now. I wish I was made up of enough faith and romanticism and cotton candy and rainbows to buy into this book, or at least suspend my own version of reality for long enough to enjoy it fully. But alas, I’m a cynic with a 3.1 average rating. Swoony romance is just not how I roll.

You have to concede to some big-ass, brand-name concepts if you wanna enjoy this book. Chief among them? True love and love at first sight. The Big Two, as I
Yulitza Moncada
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
La trama de este libro me ENCANTO, la forma en que Rainbow Rowell nos introdujo a este libro fue maravillosa, nos dio una historia realista, divertida, tierna, con una escritura ligera que no te aburres en ningún momento, con unas referencias que te harán sonreír y claramente con unos personajes MARAVILLOSOS Y CARISMÁTICOS que te van a hacer reír desde el primer capítulo.

Este libro fue mas de lo que esperaba, fue algo diferente, algo mas fresco, entretenido, con una historia tan real que sentía
Greg Allan Holcomb
As the only dude to win this book from Goodreads' First-Reads I feel a bit o' pressure.

I liked this book a lot. It's not Chick-lit. It's not Lad-lit. I'm putting this down as a Plane book. Go read it on a airplane.

Plot- Lincoln's the guy who monitors email at his work. He's supposed to report Beth and Jennifer, but he finds their emails entertaining. And he falls for Beth.

It's easy to see why he does. Over the course of the book we learn: Beth has a Sandman poster, She quotes Field of Dreams
Theresa
Rainbow Rowell has a gift for writing beautiful and unconventional love stories. Her characters always feel vibrant, energetic, quirky, and rich in emotion. "Attachments" follows a shy, socially-awkward, (he loves playing Dungeon & Dragons) deeply insecure 28 year-old named Lincoln. Lincoln still loves at home with his mom, and works at a job he absolutely despises (his job is to read/filter his co-workers emails). Without giving away too much of the plot, I will say that Lincoln grows treme ...more
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, to-buy
“I’d know you in the dark. From a thousand miles away. There’s nothing you could become that I haven’t already fallen in love with.”

It's always fun reading Rainbow Rowell's books. It's not, that her novels are extraordinary or incredibly good (apart from Fangirl that is), but Rowell always makes me feel comfortable and cozy. That's the reason I love her books so much.

Attachments remined me a lot of Landline . The setting, the characters, the character's jobs and this communication through e
Justin
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Rainbow to Justin** Hi, Justin. I'm Rainbow Rowell. You may recognize my name because it shows up on your Goodreads update feed on, like, every other line or so. I've written popular novels for young adults and regular adults as well like Eleanor and Park, Fangirl....

**Justin to Rainbow** ...Landline, Carry On, yeah yeah yeah. People love your books, but I don't know if they're really my thing. I mean, aren't they like Nicholas Sparks books that have more wit and biting humor? Are guys even su
Ariel
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really solidified for me that Rainbow Rowell is one of my favourite writers! She's phenomenal! For me, it comes to one key point: she builds real people. Her characters don't feel like characters, they don't feel fake or made up. They're really people with unique quirks and imperfections and beauty and it's so easy to be sucked into reading her books because I feel like I actually know these people!

This book, particularly, was cute and lovely. I thought the mails back and forth were hilario
BookLover
Re-read in 2017 - sigh, nothing new to add here, except, this book gets better and better with each read

Re-read in 2016 - this book, an all-time favourite, was just what I needed this week!!! Loved it just as much this time around. Every word was perfection. sigh!

**Original review 04/24/15**
Oh, my poor heart, how I loved this book. How is it possible that Rainbow Rowell, no matter who the character is, no matter what the storyline, can get inside and make me feel every minute of her stories? Wha
Whitney Atkinson
If I hadn't listened to this on audiobook, there's no way I would have been able to finish it. Horribly boring. I literally fell asleep twice while listening to this and missed about 5 chapters, but I couldn't be bothered to rewind and listen to what I missed. The entire premise is creepy and voyeuristic, and I didn't agree with their relationship. I love Rainbow's writing, but this one was my least favorite of hers. It definitely doesn't compare to her newer releases. Overall, I did not enjoy t ...more
Mohamed Al
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
بهذه الرواية الجميلة (والمراجعة) أودع عام ٢٠١٤

عندما تخرجت من الجامعة وحصلت على أول وظيفة، كنت أستغل ساعة البريك في قراءة الكتب الإلكترونية، ولأنني كنت في فترة ما مهووسًا بالرافعي، كنت أبحث عن كتبه ومقالاته التي سبق لي قراءتها وأعيد قراءتها. في كتابه "على السفود" الذي يرد فيه على العقاد أذكر أنه عنون أحد الفصول ب"عضلات من شراميط" ولا أعرف ماذا كان يدور في ذهني وأنا أكتب في قوقل "شراميط" باحثًا عن هذا المقال باستخدام كمبيوتر العمل، فقد ظهرت لي صفحة نتائج البحث بروابط لمواقع إباحية ومنتديات يسرد في
Elisabeth
I really enjoyed it! It's not my favorite of Rainbow Rowell's books but it had her same flair and addicting story.
I loved Lincoln! He's definitely on my list of favorite male protagonists.
The only problem I had with it was the pacing. The middle dragged quite a bit, but by the time I got to the end I felt things were wrapped up very well.
Overall, I definitely recommend checking out this book. Especially, if you love any of Rainbow's other books. :)
Amy | shoutame
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, adult
What a fantastic read! Straight into my favourites for the year :)

- So this is one of Rainbow Rowell's adult novels - before this one I had read Eleanor and Park (5*) and Fangirl (4*). I would now say that Attachments has taken the top spot for my favourite Rowell novel - I enjoyed it immensely and have since recommended it to many of my friends.

- So this story follows a guy named Lincoln who works in IT - Lincoln's job is to monitor the emails of all of the employees at his workplace (he also w
Stacee
2017: Yep, still perfection. I love it more than I could say.

This was just perfection. I adored the premise and the format it was written in was phenomenal. I LOVED that we got into Lincoln's head and only knew Beth and Jennifer in the same way Lincoln did.

Beth is the sort of friend I want to have. I want to hang out and get drunk and probably arrested with her. She's smart as hell, quick with a comeback and hilarious.

Lincoln is sweet and every descriptive word that Beth and Jennifer use for h
rin (lorenzo)
i am looking at all the positive ratings and reviews people gave this book and only have one thought which is what the fuck.
this is the creepiest and the most disturbing book i've read in years.

there is the main character (Lincoln) who falls in love w/ this woman (Beth) while reading her e-mails to her bestfriend. yes, it's his job, e-mails get flagged by the filter and he's supposed to send a warning to the person who wrote something that didn't pass the filter. except he doesn't send the warn
☘Misericordia☘  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
I really loved how tenderly the author weaned Lincoln from his self-imposed isolation. A much more profound novel than expected. An insightful, well thought out one. It's insanely engrossing, and I haven't the slightest idea why it's so immensely comforting.

Here we observe some loner IT guy and learn how he got that way. We observe him reading certain letters and obtaining from this practice almost therapeutic experience.

We see how some parents go to become overprotective, ruining their childr
Eryn✵
Actual rating: 3.5/5

Having already read Eleanor and Park and Fangirl, I expected to enjoy this - and I did (obviously). However, it wasn’t as good as the other two, which is fine I guess. Either way, it was still a good “Valentine’s Day” read and I’m glad Rainbow Rowell didn’t disappoint, once again.

The beginning was sort of difficult to get into. For me, I tend to have trouble getting into male perspectives - I prefer reading through a females eyes because I can usually connect, for obvious rea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle $1.99 sale, March 31, 2017.

I'd heard a lot about Rainbow Rowell's books but had never read one, so when this one went on a Kindle sale I snagged it. I wasn't really sure what to expect; I think I was expecting something a little more substantial, and this is pretty light. But it was a charming contemporary romance, managing to mix together little bits and pieces of You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle, but with an original spin.

Beth, a movie critic, and her married friend Jennifer c
Jonathan Ashleigh
While entertaining, this novel lacked a lot. It seemed too easy and even though the main character was believable as a good guy, he was not someone anybody would want to date or be friends with. I appreciated the reality that was felt when the emails printed but had a much better time with The Sorrows of Young Mike which printed instant messenger conversations between people who I liked. John Zelazny built an awesome take on modern epistolary fiction when he parodied The Sorrows of Young Werther ...more
  • The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
  • Nowhere But Home
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
  • The Chocolate Kiss (Amour et Chocolat, #2)
  • Just One Night (Just One Day, #2.5)
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • A Little Something Different
  • Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • The Piper's Son
  • The Lover's Dictionary
  • The One In My Heart
  • Blindsided (Roman Holiday #3)
  • Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • This Song Will Save Your Life
  • Domestic Violets
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
“Every woman wants a man who'll fall in love with her soul as well as her body.” 807 likes
“There are moments when you can't believe something wonderful is happening. And there are moments when your entire consciousness is filled with knowing absolutely that something wonderful is happening.” 521 likes