Start by marking “Cherries and Cherry Pits” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cherries and Cherry Pits

Vera B. Williams

Cherries and Cherry Pits

When Bidemmi starts to draw, her imagination takes off. Enter her world, look at her pictures, and watch her stories grow and grow. You will never forget her.

Published June 1st 1991 by Spoken Arts (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Cherries and Cherry Pits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherries and Cherry Pits

Start your review of Cherries and Cherry Pits
Kristin
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Diversity of characters
-Brightly-colored, detailed design, marker and water color illustrations.
-Familiar environment/context/experiences- riding the city train, living in an apartment, telling stories and drawing pictures to go with them
-Appealing text and familiar language that sounds as if someone is telling you a story
-Opportunities for inquiry: Bidemmi recycles cherry pits, what else can be recycled in your home/classroom?, experimenting with saving and growing seeds from fruits that we e
Kelly
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
I remember this fondly from my own childhood, and the relatable storytelling (about people we meet on public transportation) and the vivid, marker-y illustrations are still winning kids over.
Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

The book opens:
Bidemmi lives on the floor above me. We visit back and forth a lot. Bidemmi loves to draw, so when she opens the door I'm often standing there with a marker of some kind or color she doesn't have yet.

Cherries01

The narrator spends the rest of the book with Bidemmi, who tries out her new marker. As she draws, Bidemmi tells stories about what she's drawing. "THIS is the door to the subway..." she begins, and tells a story about a man who brings a bag
Sebastian HM
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What was your favorite part? The cherries and um, the father and the drawings and cherry pits! And spitting out!

There's more and more and more and more and more and more!
Maddi Turner
In this cute and imaginative novel, the main character, Bidemmi, loves to tell stories. She tells the journey of several different people, each story involving cherries and cherry pits. The final story she tells is about herself. She describes how she would plant cherry seeds in her yard until she has enough cherries to feed everyone.
I thought this was an adorable story and I especially enjoyed seeing the vibrant illustrations that accompanied each page. I would recommend this book to younger s
Betsy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the voice in this book as much as the illustrations. Williams switches nicely between "her" illustrations and "Bidemmi's" illustrations, making Bidemmi's drawings very childlike and believable. And Bidemmi's stories are delightfully stream of consciousness sounding--just like most children.
Linda
Remember Vera B. Williams' book A Chair for My Mother? Here's another favorite donated to the used bookstore where I work. A young girl, Bidemmi, is given a new marker by the person who tells this story and immediately begins to draw. She begins with a dot... Her imagination in the art and the story as she draws ends up in "cherries", as do the other stories in this other special book. Its sort of a cumulative story, each new one that Bidemmi draws come together to make the end quite spectacula ...more
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Bidemmi is the little girl who lives upstairs and loves to draw and tell stories. She has quite the imagination. One day Bidemmi creates a story of imagining different people and their stories all tied together with eating cherries and cherry pits. Cherries and cherry pits grow and connect the world and its stories. I liked how the focus was on Bidemmi's story and was told as if she was imagining and the colorful illustrations were drawn as if a child has drawn them. 3.5 out of 5.
Rani
#Imagination and #Storytelling by a Master story teller. She is young Bidemmi! #YoungReaders #PictureBook #BookReview #ChildrensBooks #amreading
Vanessa
I love this book. It features beautiful, true to 6 or 7 year old style drawings by the protagonist who imagines different people eating cherries. At the end she draws herself and reveals what she would do with the pits. I was actually inspired to plant m own cherry tree after reading this book as well as tasting real cherries in a friend's backyard in Buffalo. Unfortunately, the cherry tree I planted snapped this winter, but I'm going to plant another one. And on a website about symbols I found ...more
Robert
Vera B. Williams writes stories with interesting lessons . . . and they're colorful too! This one is no different.

Bidemmi is a little girl who likes to draw. As she does, she describes what she is drawing . . . in story-form.

Each of her stories revolve around someone eating cherries and being reminded to spit out the pits. Bidemmi talks so quickly and moves from point to point that the narrator never gets to ask a question. At last she asks, "Is that story about you?" Bidemmi says it is not, but
Connie
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say, before we start out, that this is a wordy book. It's definitely more suited for the older end of the 4-8 crowd.

This is a story of a young artist. She draws three pictures of three people, and tells the stories of how they eat cherries on three occasions.

Then she finally tells her own story, and her own plan, about how she intends to save the pits from her own cherries and plant them, until there is a "forest of cherry trees" she can share with the whole world.

Simple, strong story. Th
Alana Graham
The little girl in this story has an extremely detailed imagination. As she draws her pictures, many questions can be formed. Are her characters real, just from her imagination, or a little of both? Why does she keep talking about spitting out the pits? This book shows that any experience can be turned into our own creative interpretation. Even things that are seemingly useless, like cherry pits can be used to create something beautiful and enjoyable. I would recommend this story to a child who ...more
Cynthia
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: primary grades
Vera B.Williams is one of my favorite author-illustrators. This book is about a girl named Bidemmi who makes up stories while she draws. I love to use this book with my students to model how writers paint pictures with their words .I read the text and withhold the pictures so that they can visualize on their own before I show Williams' illustrations. The children also like to see how Williams uses interesting borders that relate directly to the story.
Katie Williams
Cherries and Cherry Pits is a book about a girl with a creative imagination. She tells great stories to her friend that involves cherries and how they bring people together. She bases her stories off of her father who used to bring her and her siblings cherries that they would eat together to spend quality time with each other. It has a plenty of adjectives that a lesson could be based off of or the use of story elementes (beginning, middle, and end) could be taught using this book as well.
Lyndee Stisher
Cherries and Cherry pits by Vera B. Williams is a great story full of imagination, dreams, and creativity. The young girl loves to write and illustrate stories about people eating cherries. This book is a great book to show children that any experience can be turned into a story. The story ends with the young girl telling a story about herself and the cherries. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about creativity.
Breana Fitzgerald
In this story the little girl lets her immgination take her away and she draws up quite a few stories about people eating cherries, and she ends up drawing herself growing a cheery tree and having a cherry farm out of her back yard. What I liked most about this book was the illustrations. The illustrator drew the little girl in a very interesting and pretty way, and the rest of her illustrations were in marker. I thought it was creative and different.
Starr Elementary
Robin
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! I loved reading the stories the little girl, Biddemi, tells and seeing the pictures she draws. Her stories about the cherries are so fun and envelope the entire neighborhood. This is also a great book to show the growth cycle of a tree from a cherry pit to sprout to seedling to tree to cherry. An awesome book on so many levels.
Heather
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
37 months - This is a great story. I love how the little girl draws and tells stories just like O does. And I love how all the stories are interconnected through cherries... Great ending with a nice sense of community and family. Oh and O enjoys this story too. We've read it many times and so thankful that a friend suggested it and that day I spotted it in the thrift store. SCORE!
Beth
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every one of her books is better than the last. Once again both of my daughters loved this one, particularly the six year old, who like Bidemmi loves to draw and make up stories. Just a lovely, lovely book.

Edit: this book has now been requested three nights in a row. That is very high praise indeed.
Aurora Shimshak
May 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memior
When I got to choose my own bedtime story, this is the book I picked. Afterwards, my babysitter, Evelyn and I, would practice drawing, just like the character in this book. The colors in these illustrations still make me happy.
Bailey
This is a cute book about a girl that draws how different people eat cherries and what they do with the pits. At the end it shows what she would do with the pits. This story has great illustrations in it.
Alycia Boyce
This story follows a young girls and her imaginary journey of people who all have these yummy cherries that they either share with their friends, families, or pets. She finally draws herself planting a huge cherry tree. Cute book! One of my favorites as a child
Kiana Sims
I would use this book in the classroom when discussing different family structures and places that children may see in their own neighborhoods. It's also good for imagination, and has the TH- blend occuring ofthen throughout the book.
Xicana
This book is great for our imaginative young ones. There is an emphasis on dreaming, creativity and imagination that is highlighted in these pages. Taking place in an urban setting, a young mind guides us through her thoughts and shares happy memories through the senses.
Robyn Watt
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, fun-times
Love this book, give the children and also ask the parents if it is ok too, to let them carry a drawing pad and markers,coloring pencils, crayons with them for two days and let them draw the things that they see. Let the children tell about each drawing and the story behind it.
C
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chloe picked this one out from the library a couple of weeks ago and it has been in heavy bedtime rotation for us.

I really like this one - it reads almost like long-form poetry, with its repetitive rhythms. Kind of a meditation on storytelling. And cherries, of course.
Cara Byrne
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"THIS cherry pit and THIS cherry pit and all the cherry pits start to grow until there is a whole forest of cherry trees right on our block." A beautiful, creative picture book about a little girl with a wonderful artistic talent and a huge imagination.
Nicole
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-to-5-year-olds
I like this book because it helps my kids to appreciate racial diversity. It's a fun everyday life story about a black family. My 4 year old likes it because it's about a little girl eating cherries, and it's filled with happy colors and things she can relate to, like climbing onto Daddy's lap.

• Amazing Grace
  • Oh My Gosh, Mrs. McNosh
  • Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones, #12)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • The Mixed-Up Chameleon
  • The Making of Us
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • Toujours Provence
  • Tar Beach
  • The DaVinci Code: A Quest for Answers
  • Cars and Trucks and Things that Go/simplified Chinese Edition/Hardcover
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • The Little Shop of Found Things (Found Things, #1)
  • Nate the Great
  • A Year in Provence
  • Family Pictures / Cuadros de Familia
  • In My Family/En mi familia
  • Strega Nona
Graduate of Black Mountain College, North Carolina, where she majored in graphic art. In her own words, she has "done graphic art, school teaching, children-raising [she has two daughters and a son], has run a bakery and been a cook in schools and restaurants." (from back flap of book)

Vera B. Williams is the winner of the 2009 NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature.

You can read much more ab

News & Interviews