Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist (The Berenstain Bears)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  5,995 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Sister Bear watches Dr. Bearson fill Brother Bear's small cavity. Then it's her turn in the chair to have a dangling baby tooth removed. An entertaining story for preschoolers of a cheerful and informative visit to a dentist.
Published February 2nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

Jack
Belise Michel
I just love the Berenstain Bears collections. I used this book before a dentist came to visit one of my programs that I over see. It helps a child that has never been to a dentist office to see that there is nothing to be afraid of. It also a great tool to use to build up on vocabulary.
Jenny Houle
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get this one for my dentist visit, but I did get it when I lost my first teeth (I lost two at once the first time). Always a favorite!
Stef
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A description of the average kid's visit to the dentist. As usual, Mama Bear is totally devoid of a sense of humor, which is about the only thing that stood out in this story.
Tessa Hensley
Every child is afraid of different things, maybe it's the dentist like Sister or maybe it's tight spaces. The point is that most of their fears are impractical and can be fixed by just learning more about the place or thing they fear. This book can be used in class to show children that not only the dentist, but other things may not be as scary as they think. Have students pick the thing they are most afraid of and write a silly poem or song about it making it less scary. Then see which thing sh ...more
Alexandria
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Berenstain Bears short story Sister Bear gets her first lose tooth. Mama Bear tells her that she will need to go see Dr.Bearson the local dentist. Before they go Brother Bear makes his sister scared telling her that the dentist will yank her teeth out. Mama Bear takes the two of them to the dentist and has Brother Bear go first, the dentist ends up finding a cavity in one of his teeth scaring him very badly. When it is Sister Bear’s turn to go see the dentist comes up she is very scared, ...more
Emily
This book was very entertaining. I enjoyed the content and the personalities of the bears. For example, the teasing between brother and sister reminded me of my own relationship with my siblings growing up. This story teaches a great lesson to children about how going to the dentist may seem scary but it really is not that bad. The plot was fairly simple which could be good for children because they can easily understand what is going on. The illustration could have been more detailed and I felt ...more
Alexandria Owens
Nice book that shows how young children feel when they go to the dentist. In the book brother bear was nervous when he saw all the tools laid out in the dentist's office and that is how I was when I first went to the dentist. I like how in the end of the book, sister and brother bear saw that they had nothing to fear when their dentist visit was over. This could be a good book to read to children before they go to the dentist.

Learning Experience: I would have a bag full of tools that could be f
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health. If doctors visits are sparse, you can bet dental v
Susan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books-jp
This is probably akin to admitting I don't like puppies or something (I do! I do like puppies!) but I have never really gotten the appeal of the Berenstain Bears books. I have always found them too long and too wordy and a bit too lecture-y for my taste. I am willing to concede I am in the minority on this however since they go out like hotcakes at the library and have been favorites with many people for ages. I just purchased this latest one for my library with several other books on the topic ...more
Diane
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book to help my son prepare for a dentist visit. It does discuss "yanking" a loose tooth, which could frighten some children AND adults. Personally, loose teeth makes me queasy, so I have a hard time reading some of the story. But, it did seem to give my four year old an understanding and a reminder of what going to the dentist is like. It is a typical Berenstain Bears book, although I did not find the children quite as annoying as I usually do, and thankfully the bumbling father bea ...more
Haley Heinkel
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Berenstain books are children favorites. This is also a collection of books that are all educational to children. This book focused on a visit to the dentist office. Every child is nervous about their first visit to the dentist this is a great book for children to read and understand how important going to the dentist is and how they should not be scared to go. I read this book when i was a child and then 10 years later it still is one of my favorite books. The pictures are amazing and easy ...more
Francine
Beth Felker
This book is apart of a series which focuses on the family of bears and their daily life. In this book sister bear has to go to the dentist and is very scared. Her whole family comes together to help her through her first dentist experience. The books are great because children can relate to them very easily, the illustrations are exciting and colorful. These books have valuable lessons that children can learn. I will definitely have some of these books in my classroom because of the lessons and ...more
Robin
I used this book to prep Clara for her first dentist's appointment (at age 3 1/2). We read it together a few times before our visit, talking about various aspects of the story and how Clara's dentist might be similar to or different from the one Brother and Sister Bear visited. I think it helped a lot. Clara cooperated during her x-rays and cleaning...I think I was more nervous than she was. :) Unlike Brother Bear, Clara had NO CAVITIES that needed filling, so many of the dental tools we talked ...more
Adam Utehs
This book talks about how children are just yanking out their teeth and how they are scared of going to the dentist. But when they get their the dentist they are scared but after all of their procedures they come out alright and they aren't scared of the dentist anymore. Most children are scared of the dentist because they are scared of the pain that is associated with the dentist. This book should be read to kids because they need to get over their fears of the dentist.
Whitney Strickland
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, from my experience a great book to share with first graders. Children love talking about their teeth. How many they have lost and especially talking about their trips to the dentist. For these reasons this book is extremely relatable and can spark many conversations. Also this would be an excellent read if your child is having anxiety about going to the dentist for the first time.
Rebekah
When I was little I was afraid of the Dentist, to be fair the first time I remember going to the dentist I has just watched the Rescuers for the first time and my Dentist looked a lot like Medusa. So my parents got me this book to show me how nice dentists are. I'm not sure how much it helped but I did grow out of my fear eventually.
Rosa Cline
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first time Dentist patients
Shelves: kids, tooth-fairy, 2016, 2017
This was a very well written book for a child who has never been to the dentist. Taking the fear away from them. This book Sister bear has a loose tooth and goes with Brother to the dentist. Her dentist shows her (and the reader-listener) all the instruments that a dentist uses and he shows her how he fills Brother's cavity. A very well written story.
James Vickery
Overall, I did not think that he book was very effective in teaching anything to a reader. However, the book did do a good job of listing and commenting on the different tools that dentist uses everyday. The book also did a good job by helping the audience to not fear the dentist and that going to the dentist is a good thing.
Alisha Brook
Title: The Berenstain Bears Visit The Dentist
Series: Berenstain Bears
Author: Stan Berenstain & Jan Berenstain
Genre: Children's
Rating: 3.5 stars

I loved the Berenstain Bears book when I was growing up!! This book was one of the ones I read as a child - the Berenstain Bears were quite popular in my household.
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good book to introduce children to the dentist. It combines the storyline of losing your teeth as your adult teeth come in with the routine of going to the dentist for a checkup. It even covers getting a tooth filled due to a cavity. Our girls love the Berenstain Bears stories, so this is another one for them to enjoy (especially right before their dentist appointments!)
Sharlene Spencer
sister bear has a loose tooth. Brother bear has a cavity. There's a lot going on in the Berenstain household. Time to visit the dentist. Will sister bear get her tooth yanked out by the dentist? Will she get a visit from the tooth fairy?
Good book to use when kids are loosing their teeth. They can make real world connections.
Shelli
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stan and Jan Berenstain have a wonderful way of explaining situations that pop up in life in a way that makes sense to small children. This book is a good book to share with them before making that first trip to the dentist office. Strange how kids can get so nervous about something before they even know there is a reason to be nervous.
chucklesthescot
Yes, they certainly glossed over the painful bits with injections and drills and things didn't they! Funny how neither one felt any pain! Wish I had that dentist then instead of the nutters I've visited! I liked Brother being a little sod and putting the terror into poor sister! He deserved a cavity for that!
Robin Heimann
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Robin by: my sister
This is a cute book that would be good for k - 3. It's good for this age because it is when most kids start to loose their own teeth and can relate to the story. It good be used to teach a health lesson on proper hygiene.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved the picture where they show the tooth wiggling. it was both awesome and creepy. plus...who had never done that as a kid? i mean, everyone always thought it was the coolest when someone could turn their tooth in a complete circle....
Jessica Crockett
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will say that I hate going to the dentist or even thinking about it. That being said, my toddler is obsessed with this book. I probably read it to him 10 times a week. I appreciate that he will have some knowledge of the dentist when he goes thanks to this book.
Shawna
I recently did this book for a read-aloud. I practiced using predicting and inferring techniques in reading, I think it went well, and the students were able to predict sister bears feelings, and what would happen next in the story.
Sarah Winters
This book is another older book that students can relate to. I think it helps with those who have had the same experience or think they might and help them overcome the fear. It has some great pictures that students would love. Recommended for second to fourth graders.
  • The Magic School Bus Sees Stars: A Book About Stars
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
  • Clifford's Puppy Days
  • The Giant Germ (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #6)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Just Grandma and Me
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark