Start by marking “Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorians” as Want to Read:

Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires charts in vivid detail the largely forgotten history of European corpse medicine, when kings, ladies, gentlemen, priests and scientists prescribed, swallowed or wore human blood, flesh, bone, fat, brains and skin against epilepsy, bruising, wounds, sores, plague, cancer, gout and depression.

One thing we are rarely taught at school is this: J
Published August 9th 2011 by Routledge (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires

Dna
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook, 2015, 2019
Reading this for the 3rd or 4th time.
Heidi
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Disturbing, gross, and it's all true..what isn't there to like? Reads like a research paper so be prepared for footnotes, citation references, etc..but if you like medical history or even history, especially the more disturbing aspects of drinking blood,eating people,mummies, and superstitions (like drinking blood will enable you to walk through fire) then it's worth muddling through the research writing style.
Annette
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting, but I was put off by such statements as "just who were the real cannibals? Was it those without books, without guns, given to wearing fewer clothes and worshipping lesser-known God's? Or was it those who, in their determination to swallow flesh and blood and bone, threw cannibal trade networks across hundreds of miles of land and ocean[...]? The reader must, of course, make their own decision..." (p 2)

No, I'm pretty sure he makes, or attempts to make, that decision for me.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Too strange to pass it up!
Nezka
Very detailed and complex dissection of the history, use, philosophy, and general decline of corpse medicine in the Western World. Specifically, the most focus is on the use of human fluids and body parts, but the history and use of other animals is also discussed. Highly informative and engaging, and thought provoking. Definitely recommend, but as you can imagine, not a light read.
Susan Tan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this rare macabre view of European life from royalty to peasant life is a must read for anyone who is in history class or considers herself an expert in European history. I learned a lot that you can make Candles out of human fat, that there's a complex chain of retail businesses in corpse medicine throughout the 12th to 19th century.
Dean
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An Entertaining work and I think that anyone who works in the healing arts or is a writer who normally has his work involve the middle ages, this is a must own. The title recommends something more unusual, but in the end, this is really a work about Medicine and what Humans have used regarding saving peoples lives that would shock modern people.
Miranda Miller
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just, WOW!
Eileen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-bookshelf
It was very interesting and my desire to ear food decreased while reading it .I cannot imagine believing that medicines made from corpses would be capable of curing ailments .
Jordan
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this! It was really informative, if a little dry at times, but it got the point across. There was an absence of fluff and Dr. Sugg didn't sugarcoat things so as not to offend someone's delicate sensibilities. I actually got to talk to Dr. Sugg and he's really nice. He answered all the questions I had and didn't get frustrated with me.
Lauren orso
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read2013
what a slog this was to get through. as usual, i find it interesting how big a part the catholic church had to play in encouraging medical cannibalism and other totally vampiric cures, but overall, it took me a very long time to get through this even with a lot of skimming.
Celeste
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-books, finished
was very eye opening but a lot of it was repetitive
Dylan Benito
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting book, but academic and a bit dry.
Anne
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Corpse medicine, cannibals and close readings? Count me in!
Jackie
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book. I'm using it to write one of my paper's in Grad School. Well done and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something different!
Ligasın  kopuk Kolu
Aug 29, 2015
Seb
May 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires... 3 20 Jul 29, 2013 05:59AM

• Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality
  • The Empire of Death: A Cultural History of Ossuaries and Charnel Houses
  • The Mummies of Ürümchi
  • The Morbid Anatomy Anthology
  • The Sacred Bee in Ancient Times and Folklore
  • Marianne in Chains: Daily Life in the Heart of France During the German Occupation
  • Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times
  • Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear
  • The Last Witch of Langenburg: Murder in a German Village
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • The Sick Rose: Disease and the Art of Medical Illustration
  • Beyond the Dark Veil: Post Mortem & Mourning Photography from the Thanatos Archive
  • 199 Cemeteries to See Before You Die
  • Freakery: Cultural Spectacles of the Extraordinary Body
  • St. Patrick of Ireland: A Biography
  • Rest in Peace: A Cultural History of Death and the Funeral Home in Twentieth-Century America
  • Breakfast: A History