Start by marking “Gone in the Night” as Want to Read:
Gone in the Night

Gone in the Night

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The anxiously awaited chronicle of a case that received major national media coverage--in which a father was wrongly accused of murdering his daughter--by David Protess, the award-winning investigative journalist who broke the story. An electrifying true crime story.
Mass Market Paperback, 484 pages
Published May 1st 1994 by Dell (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Gone in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone in the Night

Erica Salcines
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this book but i'm not happy with the result in the case beacuse it shows a lack of justice. They should seek other evidence of who actually killed jaclyn.This is just one of many cases that have not been given justice.
Rachel Ramirez
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-rentals
There was a lot done wrong in this case: sloppy police work, possible political gain foot those involved in the case, stories painting a bias against the parents. Now I don't like that these issues exist in some cases of the justice system but they do happen sometimes. I rarely like when only one side is the focus in crime books; having a look at both sides makes me feel like I have a more thorough understanding. In the case of this book I understand why one side was focused on since there was a ...more
Cindy
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Elaine
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Story of an abducted and murdered child. Most of the book is centralized around the trial and covers a seemingly prejudiced judge and an non-cohesive defense team, along with a rather misguided set of jurors. This is a prime example of how good people can make poor judgments when their imaginations are allowed to flourish. This was a conviction based on haste and emotion rather than law.
Patricia Atkinson
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought it was a touching story but it really dragged in spots.the police and crown prosicuters really messed up the case and twisted the witnesses stories.its a sad story of the murder and curuption of it.
A.R.
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The miscarriage of justice that's covered in this book is astounding, and in this country, no less. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. Apparently, a father losing his daughter to a child killer isn't enough torture--the "justice system" has to put him in prison.
Lindsay
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I flew through it in a little over a week. It is the true story of a kidnapping in Chicago and it is amazing to see all the screws up made by professionals. It makes me think about how carefully I should be doing my job.
Christa
I've tried to read this book twice, but it hits too close to home.
Roxanne