Start by marking “Akasha (Akasha, #1)” as Want to Read:
Akasha (Akasha, #1)

Akasha (Akasha #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In 1880, superstitions in Nichole's small New England town are more like excerpts from the bible than cautionary tales. So, when a band of gypsies set up camp outside town the same day Nichole's mother dies, the town's people blame the death on a gypsy curse. At seventeen, Nichole is left an orphan and feared by friends. Not even the man she was betrothed to will speak for ...more
Published February 25th 2011 by Heather Tregaskes (first published February 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Akasha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akasha

Amy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading it it seemed vaguely familiar, until I realized it was simply a retelling of Avatar the Last Airbender without the humor. Absolutely LOVED the show, but this seemed too similar and since it came out a few years after the show, it seemed like a carbon copy that failed to replicate the heart of the original.
Chrissy
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I did like the story, however, I never felt attached to any of the characters. For that reason I wasn't as entertained as I was hoping.
Kristen
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magical
Nicole is a seventeen year old girl whose life is going just as planned, she has a wonderful fiancé who will be her husband in a couple of days, a mother who loves her and a best friend she could never live without. But her small town secluded from cities gets unwanted visitors near the woods. The town’s people call them "gypsies" and fear their magical ways. Nicole’s life is changed forever when her mother comes home in a hurry to get her daughter out of town, confused she refuses to leave her ...more
Shawna LeAnn
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-books
This book was actually really freaking good. I loved the concept and the characters and just about all of it really. It was so much different from the other books I have read lately. The ending threw me for a loop and I really wanted to know what happened afterwards.

The take on witches in this book was great. Like I said before I have never really came across a book like this one, and was sucked into it pretty fast. Learning about how her life was going for her, so great and she was happy with i
Emma
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
In an 1880's town, their superstitions are more like history lessons than simple stories. Consequently, when a band of gypsies stops in the town on the same day Nichole's mother dies, everyone in town immediately jumps to the conclusion that her death was part of a gypsies curse.
At only seventeen years of age, Nichole is now a friendless orphan. Everyone in town fears her, and not even the man she was supposed to marry will speak to her. And when the gypsies come to take her away, the townsfol
Stacy
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First of all I have to be honest, I'm close to this book (well and the author, too). Heather is my sister. I feel like I've been beside her on her publishing journey even though we don't even share the same state.
I've read many (many) versions of this book. When I first started reading it, I thought it was a good story with lots of depth and since I love the supernatural, of course this was a good fit. However, since she started writing, I, too, have delved into the world of writing and am curr
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is good escapist reading. If you need a break and want to read something to get away this is it. I was sucked into the story and couldn't put it down even though I'd already read an earlier version of it. Re-readable books these days are rare. The Re-readability of this book is what earned the four stars. It has an interesting take on witches I haven't seen before. For those who love romance there's plenty of that too, but nothing sleazy. The characters are well rounded and it has an intere ...more
Tasha Robison
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book! It sucked me until the end. I wanted more, I didn't want the book to end. (that's rare for me I usually want my book to be done so I can read the next one on my list). I didn't quite feel like the time (1880 I think) matched all of the scenes and the language. But this was a light read. It is a make your heart feel good story. It totally had the "AWE" factor. I Hope I can get my hands on the 2nd book soon... :) AMAZING. I don't feel like my words can give it justice. T ...more
Stewart
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read this book primarily because it was written by a friend of a friend. To be clear, this type of book generally isn't the type of thing I enjoy to read. I would classify it as a paranormal romance that definitely fall into the young adult age range. Overall, the story was interesting enough to keep me reading, but I definitely felt it lacked in depth and didn't have the intensity that I expected from something of this genre. If you are someone who enjoyed the Twilight series (definitely not ...more
Karene
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time beginning this book as it was a little rough and jerky in the writing during the first part. Once the plot got going the writing improved immensely. I re-read the first half just to see if I remembered the roughness correctly and I had. As a whole it was enjoyable and fast moving. The end makes me want to know what happens next.
Tanya
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The storyline in this novel is very engaging and provides a little bit of everything--love, suspense, action, magic. The writing is a little rough in places and some scenes fall into the melodrama category, but overlook those minor flaws in order to enjoy a really great story as one girl struggles to figure out who she is and how to control the power she finds within herself.
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my second time reading this book....and i loved it just as much as the first time. I wasn't in the mood to read something new so i tried to think of what i could re-read. When I came across this book, i started to remember bits of it and i missed the characters. I definitely recommend this one, it is emotional, romantic, exciting and original!
Jessica
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought the book started out really slow but eventually I got into it and ended up falling in love with the story and its characters. And now that I know that their will be a second book coming out for it I can't help but feel the need to pester the author to hurry up and get published so I can finnaly read it.
Becky Clark
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exceptional storytelling! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'll admit to figuring out a plot point before it was revealed, but I had read 75% of the book before that happened and it didn't ruin the story for me at all! I sincerely hope that Heather Tregaskes has plans of continuing to write. I would read another book by this author.
Sylvia
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! Nichole is the average 17 year old in love with a bright future. Her world takes a turn and she is involved in a world she never knew of before. I couldn't put this book down! The story leaves you wanting to know what's next all the time and isn't predictable. I was able to escape the reality of our world and enjoy hers. I can't wait until book 2 is out! :)
Berdean
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had troubles keeping track of everyone at first, then I really got into it. Suspensful, romance, The Gypsies were intriguing. It was fun
watching a really rich young lady, go through having to learn to work, and under such conditions. I would read another.
Cherene
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the story--almost had a "Twilight" feel to it. A fun, quick read.
Julie Peterson
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The characters won me over. And I look forward to the next one!
Jill Smith
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All my friends
I love this book!
Rachael Porter
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Heather I am telling you again (1,000th time) I love Akasha! This book really sucks you in and you can't put it down.
Tabatha
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-nook-books
I came across this just looking for something new and fresh to read. I have to say it surpassed my expectations and was a fun read that I couldn't put down!
Gail
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! After reading the first chapter I did not want to put it down. Would highly recommend.
Lani Ayers
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Everyone NEEDS to read it!!!
Louise
  • Somber Island
  • A New Birth of Freedom: The Visitor
  • Witch Hunt
  • Eon's Door
  • Bittersweet (Bittersweet #1)
  • Andraste
  • Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #1)
  • Base Nature
  • The Threshold Child (The Threshold Child, #1)
  • Mundahlia (The Mundahlian Era, #1)
  • Bastian (The Lords of Satyr, #6)
  • Dangerous Moonlight (Moon Shadows, #1)
  • Haunted (Witch Hunt #1)
  • Veiled (Veiled #1)
  • Tears
  • Bloodmaiden
  • The Blood Moon of Winter
  • Annexed (The Refuge Trilogy, #1)
Heather Tregaskes grew up in southwest New Mexico where she developed a love for reading books about anything outside our reality. She is currently a stay-at-home mom in Southern Arizona and enjoys reading, playing guitar and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
More about Heather Tregaskes

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)