Start by marking “Carrie” as Want to Read:
Carrie

Carrie

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  436,703 ratings  ·  10,811 reviews
Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...
Published November 1st 2005 by Pocket Books (first published April 5th 1974)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
138 books — 3,277 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,605 books — 4,909 voters

More lists with this book...

·  436,703 ratings  ·  10,811 reviews

Jessica
Nov 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: telekinetic would-be ugly duckling prom queens with a heavy flow
I want to start a shelf of "books-that-traumatized-me-as-a-child-with-stories-of-girls-who-just-could-not-stop-gushing-blood-Down-There," but I can't think of any others besides this and Bell Jar. I know in Are You There God, It's Me Margaret they just couldn't stop TALKING about it, but I think that was different, more just perplexing and annoying than actually traumatic.

Any suggestions?

Um, BTW, this book is AMAZING. I should give it more than three stars. There! Done. Four! This is one of thos
Luca Ambrosino
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (Carrie)/ Italiano

«News item from the Westover (Me) Weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966:

RAIN OF STONES REPORTED

It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlin on 17th August. The stones feel principally on the home of Mrs Margaret White, damaging the roof extensively and ruining two gutters and a downspout valued at $25. Mrs White, a widow, lives with her three year old daughter, Carrieta»

Carrie is a t

Matthew
I have decided to go back and reread all the Stephen King books as audiobooks this time. Ones I have read recently or that I have already reread I may not do. I am starting at the very beginning with Carrie which I originally read on Kindle in 2014.

You might be saying, ”But, Matthew, that was his first book! You didn’t read it for the first time until 2014!?” There are a couple of reasons for that:
1. Carrie is referenced a lot in pop culture. Growing up in the 80s and 90s you really didn’t need
Alejandro
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Everybody is invited to the Prom Dance!

THAT ENDING THAT YOU'RE EXPECTING...

It's very interesting to read Carrie finally.

I have watched the Brian de Palma's adaptation, so I wasn't unfamiliar with what would happen.

However, the way as Stephen King wrote this book was in such great way that the novel is still engaging not matter if you already know the main highlights.

There are some books that if you knew what will happen...kaput! All the fun was spoiled and you won't get interested on readin
Laz
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller addicts

This is pizza, the freaky flavor.

I loved how intertwined with religion it was. Not churches and stuff like that. I mean hardcore stuff about the point where religion stops being religion and transforms into fanaticism and how a person can drive themselves crazy with it, especially if you already have the tendency towards the crazy.

And
Evgnossia O'Hara
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Δεύτερο βιβλίο του King που διαβάζω, και καταλαβαίνω πια, ότι το επίθετό του καθρεπτίζει απόλυτα το συγγραφικό του ταλέντο. Τι πήγες και δημιούργησες King?

Η σκιαγράφηση των χαρακτήρων, ο τρόπος σκέψης τους, τα μοτίβα τους, ο εύθραυστος και συνάμα δυνατός κόσμος της Κάρυ ήταν μερικά από τα δυνατά σημεία του βιβλίου.

Μου άρεσε υπερβολικά η δομή της ιστορίας. Όλα αυτά τα αποσπάσματα από τις καταθέσεις μαρτύρων, τα βιβλία και τα άρθρα για την περίπτωση των γεγονότων που περιγράφονται, έδωσαν μια τε
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Jesus watches from the wall,
But his face is cold as stone,
And if he loves me
As she tells me
Why do I feel so all alone?”

I remember watching the movie when I was very little, I was pretty much petrified by it. The image of a poor girl covered in pig blood, going on a killing spree haunted me, and here I am today reading it for the first time awfully distraught and yet incredibly mesmerized by King's writing. No wonder he is where he is today. A true genius!
Dan Schwent
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
Outcast Carrie White has a secret. She's telekinetic. When a popular girl's boyfriend invites her to prom as atonement, she accepts, completely unaware of the horrors lurking on the horizon...

Carrie is Stephen King's first novel and has been part of our cultural landscape since it was made into a movie in the late 1970s. Somehow, I've escaped reading it or seeing the movie until now. I knew (or thought I knew) most of the wrinkles of the plot going in, due to sai King's On Writing: A Memoir of t
Mohammed Arabey

“Jesus watches from the wall,
But his face is cold as stone,
And if he loves me
As she tells me
Why do I feel so all alone?”
رواية نشرت في 1974، قبل الثورة الإسلامية في إيران، قبل المد الوهابي في الوطن العربي...قبل عودة اعتبار
Ahmad Sharabiani
Carrie, Stephen King
Carrie is a novel by American author Stephen King. It was his first published novel, released on April 5, 1974. It revolves around the eponymous Carrie White, an unpopular friendless misfit and bullied high school girl who uses her newly discovered telekinetic powers to exact revenge on those who torment her. While in this process, she causes one of the worst local disasters the town has ever had. King has commented that he finds the work to be "raw" and "with a surprising po
Scarlet
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don’t let the brevity of this book fool you. Carrie may be one of King’s less thick books but right from the scandalous opening scene to the very last page, it’s a relentlessly harrowing read.

King pieces together Carrie's story through a series of reports and articles concerning a telekinetic catastrophe in Maine. I knew how terrible the end would be before it even happened, so reading the book was an excruciating experience - the dread just kept building page after page, I could see what everyt
Mia Nauca
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Este es mi tipo de terror: un terror más psicológico, mas sutil, con una excelente historia, es todo lo que podría pedir

El hecho de que esté narrado por científicos, sobrevivientes de la catástrofe del pueblo, con declaraciones oficiales del caso White, para mi fue lo mejor del libro, porque le dio un realismo escalofriante.

Mucha gente pone como personaje de terror a Carrie, pero yo creo que ella, a pesar de tener los poderes, sólo era una víctima del bullying y del acoso excesivo en casa.

La qu
Jason Koivu
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, sci-fi
My brain is a torment of RAGE with which I wish to rain vengeance down upon the later half of this book!

Everything progressed along as it should in the first half. The story moved at a good pace and the writing - though not moving - was adequate.

Then the climatic scene happened soon after the halfway mark. I'll rephrase that. The climax happened in the middle…the middle!

"An odd place for a climatic scene," I remember thinking. Nonetheless, I pushed on...and on and on through a rising tide of d
Lyn
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was Carrie White a literary active shooter?

Let’s break it down: from an abusive, negligent home life with dark theological and religious hobgoblins; she is picked on and teased at school, relentlessly, by other girls and the bullying is allowed (somewhat) by the school administration. She feels alone and without any relief and she is finally subjected to a humiliation that breaks a wall, crosses a line and then she crosses a line and people die.

Stephen King crashes the writing party with a bold
seak
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2013, stephen-king
To begin, I want to tell a quick story about my introduction to Stephen King. I came really late to the party when it comes to the King. I'll not bore you with the same ol' story about my first read, but to make a long story short, I read The Stand and was not a fan right away...to say the least. For some reason, and after numerous recommendations, I started The Dark Tower series and I wasn't even that impressed with the first book, The Gunslinger. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't nearly what eve ...more
Dannii Elle
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-hazes
I've read quite a few King title but have decided to start again, reading them all in chronological order to better understand the prowess of this master story-teller. This is his first full-length publication.

Ultimately, Carrie is both the namesake, protagonist and antagonist of this story. And despite the many sides to her disturbed character she is also one the reader can not help but side with.

My edition begun with an author's note that told of another bullied girl, much like Carrie. This gi
Wilier
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

¿Quien es realmente el malo en esta historia?

Este fue mi primer libro leído de SK, casualmente también es su primera novela publicada, la que lo hizo famoso, pues sabemos que el autor es famoso desde su primera publicacación (Así leí en su libro autobiográfico mientras escribo).

La novela narra la historia de Carrie, una chica poco agraciada e infortunada que sufre un enfermizo control de parte de su madre que está completamente loca y un constante acoso o “Bulliying” en su colegio de parte de su
Christy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: king fans
Alright...

I finally decided to go back to the beginning of Stephen King's catalogue, and read in chronological order everything I have either not read, or did not get enough out of because I had missed so much of the King-verse building along the way. I highly recommend reading his books this way for any true King fan, because in so many ways they build upon each other, and there are several recurrent characters and themes. I am convinced that many of his books absolutely cannot be enjoyed to th
Patricia Bejarano
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por fin me he decidido a leer al gran Stephen King, y qué mejor manera que empezar por su primera novela publicada y hacerlo en estas fechas.
Elegí Carrie por varios motivos. El primero, que ya conocía la historia y sabía que no me iba a cagar de miedo mientras leía. El segundo, es un libro corto que pensé que me iba a llevar menos tiempo que otras obras del autor y así fue. Y como tenía ganas de leer algo especial por Halloween, vi ideal leer esta historia.
A pesar de conocer la historia por la
Franco  Santos
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Carrie es un libro corto pero grandioso. Te atrapa desde la primera página. Es ya considerado un clásico de la literatura del terror, y con buenos fundamentos. Tiene escenas que dejan una cicatriz en nuestra memoria.

description
Jesús mira desde las paredes.
Pero su rostro es frío como una piedra.
Y si el me ama como ella dice.
¿Por qué me siento tan sola?
Amo a Carrie. Es un personaje con el cual me encariñé muchísimo. Es uno de mis favoritos. Muchos la odian, yo la adoro.

En la práctica, nadie se entera n
Helene Jeppesen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good and scary - just what I was hoping for. The pacing of the book was just right because of the various accounts and perspectives we get on the “black prom” and what exactly happened, and the scary scenes WERE scary.
However, I especially appreciate how this is a book that tackles bullying and what that can do to a person’s mental health. Carrie is fragile after years of meanness and bullying, and what happens at prom night pushes her over the edge. Only, the difference between
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit, scarry, 2013, horror
Poor Carrie, I feel your pain.

This book was interesting in that it presented facts on scientific phenomena called Psychokinesis, Something I have had personal experience with and I’ll tell you about it at the end of this review as long as you all promise not to call me a freak…..but think that I’m a freak all you want.

Carrie didn’t have it easy in high school. Being raised by an over protective, abusive, and ultra religious mother and no father, she didn’t have the tools to fit in with the crow
Char
5.30.18 Third re-read review.

I finished my third read of Carrie on Sunday. I wanted my thoughts on it to be fresh for an in-person book group meeting at the end of this month. (It is prom season after all!)

I still love this style of story-telling which includes snippets from newspaper articles, different (fictional) books and journals, and several eye-witness accounts. I still find myself feeling for Carrie, and mostly those feelings consist of pity and sadness. I think every American schoolkid
Magrat Ajostiernos
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Primer libro que leo de este señor! Ueeee! Ya era hora!
Pues bien, me ha gustado aunque tampoco emocionado.
Había visto la mítica peli de los 70 hace mil años así que la trama no me sorprendió mucho pero me encantó el formato que entremezcla retazos de entrevistas, novelas y puntos de vistas de diferentes personajes.
Lo mejor, que habla muy claramente sobre el acoso escolar pero aún me gustó más esa reflexión sobre la necesidad obsesiva que tenemos los humanos de pertenecer a un círculo social es
R.K. Gold
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m sitting here still digesting this book and the only word that comes to me is disturbed. If the purpose of fiction is to conjure emotion—even just a single emotion then find book has it in the spades yet I still can’t bring myself to rank it any higher than 3 stars. At its most relatable it felt like a degrading episode and at its worst it felt like Tarantino directed the 700 club. Carrie wasn’t a monster she was just the equal and opposite reaction of her mother and her peers. The only momen ...more
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Jumpy read! riveting,good narrative and hauntingly good storyline with also incredible writing (paperback!)
Eliasdgian
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Γράφεις ένα τέτοιο βιβλίο στα είκοσι επτά σου μόλις χρόνια και μια ευτυχής συγκυρία το φέρνει στην πόρτα του (σπουδαίου) Brian De Palma, ο οποίος δεν το σκέπτεται και πολύ και (στα τριάντα δύο του αυτός) σκηνοθετεί μια ταινία που έμελλε να γίνει τεράστια εμπορική επιτυχία, να προταθεί για δύο υποψηφιότητες όσκαρ (α και β γυναικείου ρόλου) και να συστήσει στο ευρύ κοινό τον καινοτόμο αυτόν σκηνοθέτη (μαζί και την τεχνική του split screen). Απολαμβάνεις τη δημοσιότητα, η οποία, όπως συνήθως συμβαί ...more
ALet
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
★★★★/ 5

It was a fantastic read! I already read it once, but sadly then I wasn‘t a huge fan, but second time around I really liked it. I found the storytelling fascinating, it just felt like I was reading about real events. Story wasn‘t boring, it captured my attention and because of that it was easy to read. In addition characters were interesting and I felt like I actually knew them.
Rachel Reads Ravenously

This book made me appreciate my mother.

First off, I want to reiterate that a 3 stars from me does not equate to a negative review. It means I liked/enjoyed the book, but did not really like it or love it. So please, don’t tell me sorry it didn’t work out. Thank you.

Carrie is Stephen’s King first novel, the novel that started the legend. I’ve read other novels by King, but wanted to start at the beginning and make my way from there, that way I have a list to follow. I’ve seen the origi
Karina
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
What fast and captivating read. I was a little skeptical about what horrors might come up in a King novel because I had never read anything by him, but it was fine. Defintely intense but absolutely manageable. A really good book and I'm glad it was my first King
Do you have the favorite book of Stephen King? 20 81 Mar 01, 2019 03:27PM
Stephen King Book...: Carrie Readalong Discussion 2019 [Spoilers] 11 28 Feb 08, 2019 03:57AM
Stephen King Book...: Carrie: Part 1 2 20 Jan 13, 2019 05:14PM
Do you Think Carrie was a Witch? 94 564 Dec 27, 2018 05:03AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Thinner
  • Hideaway
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • The Talisman (Volume 1): The Road of Trials
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • Hellfire
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Shadowland
  • The Haunter of the Dark
55 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“High school isn't a very important place. When you're going you think it's a big deal, but when it's over nobody really thinks it was great unless they're beered up.” 431 likes
“People don't get better, they just get smarter. When you get smarter you don't stop pulling the wings off flies, you just think of better reasons for doing it.” 354 likes