Start by marking “Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion” as Want to Read:
Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion

Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion

(Trixie Belden #1)

Trixie s summer is going to be sooo boring with her two older brothers away at camp. But then a millionaire s daughter moves into the next-door mansion, an old miser hides a fortune in his decrepit house, and a runaway kid starts hiding out in Sleepyside!"
Published 1948 by Whitman

Erin
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trixie Belden was not perfect. She got into trouble, she got dirty, she argued and lost, and she got kidnapped! Truly, if you cut her, did she not bleed?! yes!

My Mom bought me two Trixie Belden books to take on a family vacation to Florida the summer after 2nd grade. I think I had finished them before we hit the Florida state line much to my mom's dismay. I immediately re-read them. I spent the next two years buying them as fast as my allowance would allow. Until 1986 when they went out of print
Moonlight Reader
I was first introduced to Trixie Belden in the 1970's. While I was a fan of Nancy Drew - and I'm sure I'll shelve her here down the road a bit - it was for Trixie and the Bob-Whites of the Glen that I reserved my most committed and unconditional adoration.

Trixie reminded me of me. Also a tom-boy, I skied and sledded and was involved in winter sports. My family mirrored hers, with a garden-crazy stay-at-home mom and a dad who worked outside the home (mine was a doctor, not a banker, but still . .
Sheri
Trixie Belden enjoys a glorious summer exploring and hanging out with her friends. I can see why children enjoy this series. Trixie and friends experience lots of fun activities and their adventures bring back fond memories of fearless summer escapades in my own youth.

I didn’t read these as a child, but the characters are certainly very relatable and realistic; they are definitely in line with the type of childhood I had. Each one has a different personality and upbringing and their differences
Bethany
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-for-girls
A formulaic series, but what a formula!!! I read probably 95% of the Trixie Belden series growing up and can't wait for Amanda to get into them.

Trixie is a girl detective, much like Nancy Drew, only (I think) much better (and I did like Nancy).

To avoid diluting my goodreads list, I'll spare rating them individually, but know that I recommend them all whole-heartedly.
Annie
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Girls, my daughter
Recommended to Annie by: My mother
I adored the Trixie Belden series and read all of them for years. I truly credit this series, along with a few others, with fostering my voracious love of reading, and also with sowing the seeds of love of the Adventure/Quest novel. Trixie is a spunky, smart heroine, and I really wanted to be her when I was a girl. Can't wait to share with my daughter one day.
Melissa McShane
I picked this up because Beth is re-reading the series and I needed something light. It's been years since I read the Trixie Belden books and I was surprised they held up at all. But I found this first one charming and way better written than Nancy Drew. (I read the Nancy Drew books when I was eight or nine and Trixie Belden at twelve, and I feel those are good ages for each even though Nancy is a few years older than Trixie.)

So, impressions:

1. My parents bought me the Whitman reprints, the firs
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
When I was in elementary school, there were several girls' book series that I avoided because I thought they sounded so . . . insipid. For example, the Betsy-Tacy books. What kind of a dumb name was Betsy-Tacy? Another series that I gave the stink-eye to when I saw it on the shelves was Trixie Belden. What kind of a name was Trixie?! Trixie sounded like the sugar cereal with the rabbit mascot that I knew from TV commercials, not like the name of a girl who solved mysteries.

Two years ago I final
Kara
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-sleuths
The book that started my lifetime obsession with serialized Girl detective books. I had already read Nancy Drew when I discovered Trixie. Trix was far more appealing to me as she was younger and more accessible than Nancy who was elusively glamorous, poised, wore smart suits and drove a car. Trixie was a farm girl in "dungarees" who ride a bike or her horse as her mode of transport.

Trixie, 13, exits in that fleeting period between childhood and teenagerdom, when girls and boys still co exist as
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Forget Daphne and Velma, Trixie Belden is the real deal for any young amateur sleuth. Around about the late 80’s after I had read through everything the library had to offer on The Boxcar Children, I found myself needing more. Nancy Drew was too old fashioned for my taste and the Hardy Boys could have went and sucked an egg for all I cared. What I finally did stumble upon was this read and it had so much to offer a little girl looking for some mystery mixed with a whole lot of relatable main cha ...more
♡Tonya♡
When I was a kid, before my dad died, he used to take me to the bookstore when my mom was shopping. He bought me any book I wanted and of course it was a Trixie Beldon book every time! This popped into my head driving home from work tonight. It was no Harry Potter but it was what we loved as kids.
Pili
This was such a fun sweet book! And it reminded me of one of my fave series as a child, The Happy Hollisters! Oh, how I devoured their adventures!

A perfect summer read and even if it'll be a bit of a different read for younger kids these days, given how old timey it can read at times, it was full of charm and reminded me a lot of both very loved books I read when I was Trixie's age and also of the summers of my childhood, that I also spent under very little supervision, safely roaming and playin
Melody
I know many wonderful people who love, love, love Trixie. My earliest memories of this series center around a supermarket in Coldwater Michigan which sold cheap Whitman hardcovers for 69 cents. Every so often, if I'd completely run out of REAL books (which is to say, books about HORSES), my mom would buy me a Whitman book. It's where I first learned about abridged books, to my everlasting shock and chagrin. I remember the odd Trixie Belden, but didn't retain anything more concrete than a dismiss ...more
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
June 13, 2013: Re-reading the first three in the series again. A summer tradition! :)

August 9, 2012: Just another summer re-read. Partly because I'm trying to get back on pace with my reading goal (I have three YA books on hold at the library to pick up this weekend) and partly because I just love this series and the first three are awesome books to read in the summer! :)

A great start to a wonderful series that is still making an impact in my life. Even the bad books are good because they're the
Emma Grace
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Juli
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered this series when I was about 12 years old or so. If I remember correctly, my sister gave me the first two books for my birthday, and from there my Trixie Belden collection grew to fill my small bookcase. I absolutely loved this series! I think I identified with Trixie a bit....but the sometimes pesky, cute kid I had to deal with was my nephew and not my little brother. :) I remember wishing I could have picnics in the woods, ride horses and have adventures like Trixie, her bro ...more
Frances
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the first fifteen books. I am 60 years old and I can still remember how much I loved these books. Trixie and Honey were my best friends. I would buy them at k-mart for 89 cents. The only problem was finding all of them. (I later completed my set through e-bay. I had the hardbacks with the portraits of Trixie and Honey on the inside cover. They had the full color illustrations that I just loved. I trace my penchant for twin sweater sets from #8 in which Trixie, Honey and Di wore th ...more
Lisa C
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, kids
Even though the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew TV show was a big hit at the time, like much of my generation, I was hooked on Trixie Belden. These were the first books that I bought on my own -- waiting until the newest were published, scrambling to find the older copies that were slightly cheaper, taking them to the counter all by myself. I'd get so excited when I figured out how it was going to end, that tears would stream from my eyes as I tried to finish the last chapters (not crying, just an odd ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet Trixie, Honey, and Jim as the trio form a friendship and hunt for the treasure that is supposed to be in Jim's great uncle's old house.

This is a very favorite series from childhood on, and I just love meeting the characters again for the first time. They aren't quite themselves yet, and can be annoying as a result. Just know they grow stronger from their friendships by the next in the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Sarah Booth
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories of childhood

I read these as a kid and loved them. It’s childhood from a simpler time when kids went off exploring and everything wasn’t brand placement, advertising and electronics. Kids did chores and rode horses and had manners and I hadn’t turned into my grandmother yet. Forty years later I am reading these again. It makes me miss living with a yard and garden and being an indestructible kid again. These are great stories for young girls and even boys if they like reading about girl
Denise
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trixie-belden
I was wondering if I would like Trixie as well at 58 as I did at 11 or 12 (or whenever I read it as a child). The answer was yes. I have a different perspective of Trixie than I did when I was a child. (Of course.) Trixie tends to do something before she thinks and is constantly having mishaps because of that. She is also rather careless. I'm sure as a child I was awed by her daring.

I don't remember the story line at all in this book and I'm not sure as a child if I read all of the books or even
Tracy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved these when I was a kid. I always preferred Trixie Belden to Nancy Drew. I still enjoyed this, although it seems funny to me how free these kids are to run around and have adventures. I say this having grown up in the sixties and seventies with a fair amount of freedom myself. As an adult I did find the story a bit too simple and problems too easily solved but it was fun nonetheless.
Sheryl
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over Thanksgiving, we had fun digging through Mom and Dad's closet to find Sheila's old set of Trixie Belden books. She's missing some of them, but I'm going to spend some time re-reading the ones we found. I won't do an entry for each one, so you might not hear from me for awhile. We both LOVED these books growing up!!
Lydia Dyslin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2016-reads
This is my favorite mystery series I've ever read - and it's so much better than Nancy Drew, I've realized, after reading so many of her books for The Nancy Drew Project. Definitely read these books, especially the first six! I totally recommend it. :)
Ari Sinclair
Five stars for two reasons: First, nostalgia, because this was my favourite series when I was younger. (Tbh, I still love it.) The characters were so darn funny, and relatable, and MY AGE, which was pretty new, for a kid who read mostly classics xD
Second reason, because these were legitimately good books. (Far better than Nancy Drew, imho...) The characters are fabulous (imayormaynotstillhaveacrushonJim), the mysteries were creative and new in every book, and I love that they're about ordinary k
Joy Gerbode
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trixie Beldon was my favorite detective when I was a kid, and I read the whole series more than once ... this first book and the second that followed were the two best, and I still enjoyed them very much as I read them yesterday. Not completely believable, but lots of fun.

August 2013 ... just re-read this first installment, and again fell in love with these believable characters. Going to enjoy the series again, reading with a friend!

May 2016 ... just needed a quick read, and thoroughly enjoyed
Karisa
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this series when I was a kid. I searched far and wide to collect all 39 titles... I remember noticing the change in authors, and I was more than a little disappointed when I learned that the author whose writing I had enjoyed would not be the one I would be reading for the remaining 30 books, and I was downright disgruntled when I found out that the "new author" was not one person named Kathryn Kenny, but a whole variety of writers. I still read and enjoyed them all, but preferred the st ...more
Fatma_A_145506
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This story talk about trixie adventures . The author of this story is Julie campbell .This story has been published at 1948 . Trixie cant believe she's stuck in sleepy side all summer while her lucky brothers are away at camping .Then the millionaire''s daughter moves in next door , a runway kid hides out nearby and rumors heat up that the old mansion on the hill is filled with a fortune . So after this adventures the summer wasn't boring but it was too exciting and interesting . This book has 2 ...more
Kate
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I read these as a kid. Didn't I notice the boring lack of plot and weird way jim's age seems to change from college-scholarship-denied to 15? Extra love for the independence of the teenagers, I had forgotten how much we were treated like responsible grown-ups at 14, long ago. Plot got interesting finally in the second-to-last chapter. Trixie enjoyed another book with her name in it, but even she was unenthralled until the end.
Cherie (Myst)
I am giving this book 3 stars solely because these books were the beginning of my love with all things reading (well when I got past the little kid books anyway). First published in 1948 and I was reading them in the 80s. I remember loving the tom-boy nature of Trixie (which I was myself), the easy friendship she immediately had with the new neighbour Honey, and the mysteries and adventures they had together.

Now in 2017 when I read book 1 with adult eyes I see everything differently and I would
Deanna Anderson
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first came across the Trixie series when I was about 11. I read them all through high school, and when I finally completed the set of 41 (39 plus two quiz books) in college I re-read them then. I have read this series so much that I feel like I know the characters as well, if not better, than I know my school classmates. In fact, Trixie and her friends were my friends when I didn't always feel like I had any.

There are so many truths, widsom, and knowledge to be gained from this series, even as
This was awesome!! 21 49 Nov 21, 2017 12:15PM
Fans of Trixie Be...: The Secret of the Mansion - January 2013 4 6 Jan 12, 2014 05:26PM
Trixie Belden Group 2 54 Jul 29, 2012 12:33PM

• The Mystery of the Blinking Eye (Trixie Belden, #12)

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)
“sissy.” 2 likes
“Bobby squealed with delight. “I’ll take a norange one and a labbender one,” he said happily. “Labbender is sometimes almost always my very favrit color.” 1 likes