Start by marking “The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation” as Want to Read:
The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation

The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation

The former Senior Vice President of Apple Computer and close colleague of Steve Jobs’s throughout his tenure, Jay Elliot takes listeners on a remarkable tour through Jobs’s astonishing career. From the inception of game-changing products like the Apple II and the Macintosh, to his stunning fall from grace, and on to his rebirth at the helm of Apple, his involvement with ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 12th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Steve Jobs Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steve Jobs Way

Start your review of The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation
Raed
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
The Up side:

If you are a Steve Jobs's fan then this book is a must. It gives a good insight on the inside of apple,and how this greater than life figure annoyed most people around him to get apple's product to perfection. A product Czar who worries about most meticulous detail and an entrepreneur who worried only about the consumer experience. A leader who was at times unreasonable, but never forgot to say a word of thank you or show gratitude to everyone who contributed to any of Apple's
Jason
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Apple fanboys
This is an entertaining book, especially for fans of Apple, but it can also be an frustrating book. At first, it begins to read less like a book on leadership, and more like a memoir of sorts of Elliot's time at Apple. Then it turns into what amounts to unabashed praising of Steve Jobs, Apple, and their products. Even when he offers criticism, he only does so to identify a particular lesson learned that pays off later. It almost feels as if Apple's PR department (or even Jobs himself) vetted ...more
Haider Al-Mosawi
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book very irritating because it reads like a PR release than a book on leadership lessons.

Steve Jobs is hailed as a great leader and wonderful visionary whose vices were either presented as virtues or a weak rationalization was offered to do away with them.

"Steve was..., but he..."

"Granted..., but..."

"Sure..., but..."

At one point the author says: "Yes, he could be difficult, but look at the results." (!!!)

If you find the warped reality of Apple fanboys to be annoying, then this book
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great supplementary book to the Walter Isaacson biography.
Pretty short, so doesn't get bogged down with too much details.

This book is from the perspective of co-worker / friend Jay Elliot and how he perceived Steve in his various roles in the business.
He highlights all the business decisions that he believes made Steve a great leader, and the best innovator.

The book does make Steve seem like this almost deity, where as in the biography it was clear that he was a big a-hole as well.

If you look
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation by Jay Elliot was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Let’s face it, there may be no other single executive whose work has received more attention (more positive attention, at least) than former Apple CEO Steve Jobs. The impact of Jobs’ decision to step down sent shockwaves throughout the tech industry and caused consternation among Apple shareholders as the source of
Lukman Haris
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lukman by: KC
It was like reading Sherlock Holmes. Steve Jobs the Sherlock Holmes of Silicon Valley. And of course Jay Elliot as Watson told the reader their adventures at Apple, a very close observation of the way Steve Jobs made the revolutionary devices.

Through the stories we can see what Steve's beliefs about how products should be and how he built the products and the team to make that kind of product delivered to customers. I think these are things we can learn from him.

Steve had detail observation of
Jacques
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who is not (some years after this book was written) a major fan of Apple, mostly because I feel that they are grasping at straws as they find themselves sinking well below the innovation standard that other major players are bringing to the market. I do however think that this book brings some incredible insight to what it means to be an individual who has a passion to change the world in some way.
I thoroughly enjoyed the insights we get into the thinking of Steve Jobs. To see his why
Sheldon
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: documentary, business
Insightful book. While it's written in a "Tenants of Steve Jobs" fashion, there's some good background/biographical info for those who are more interested in Steve and how he did things at Apple. That would be my only criticism of the book... it's kind of "in-between" a biographical recount of Steve's rule at Apple and a self help/tenants book so has some flaws doing both. Because it's not meant to be a straight biography, the story jumps around a bit so if you don't know a bit of the history of ...more
Gordon
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting biography of Steve Job's active adult life as co-founder and later CEO of Apple. I found the descriptions and anecdotes of Steve Job's leadership and management style interesting, but not compelling. Highly successful, highly innovative and inspirational (most of the time), Steve was definitely a genius in his field -- the un-disputed product czar of his lifetime as Jay Eliot puts it. Although I admire his achievements and have bought many of the products he pioneered from idea to ...more
Nguyen Quang tung
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
How enthralling, captivating and inspirational this reading is; for it had delivered the realistic story behind a Steve Jobs we saw in real life. The way he lived, the way he struggled to gain recognition, and the way he could bring Apple become the most prominent IT company at the moment.

Jay Elliot has successfully illustrated another aspect of Steve, an aspect which hadn't been seen before until he disclosed it to readers. Steve Jobs has taught me one thing and one thing alone: No talented,
Jean-Marc Krikorian
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This retelling of Apple and specifically Steve Job from a close associate was very interesting and inspiring. It's a very current book including the introduction of the iPad. I would have like to see heard more about Steve's time with NeXT but I'm guessing the reason for the lack of detail is that Jay Elliot stayed at Apple when Steve founded NeXT and hence had little direct experience with Steve's role and times there.
Mohamed
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have finished this book after reading Steve jobs biography by about 4 months. this book contain valuable information about how did Steve jobs did things at Apple. it is not a biography of Steve jobs but it shows how did he manage Apple and how did he succeeded in building great teams. The best thing i loved about this book is how Steve jobs treated his employees and how he made them feel that Apple is their company and they must give the best for it so that it can change the world.
Donald Elton
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting story to a point but after awhile you realize the book is really about the author's "man-love" for Steve Jobs whom he worships in every possible way as many times as possible. Jobs is a great guy but you feel like you have to wash your hands to get the drool off after reading this too long.
Aakanksha
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always thought that autobiographies are the best way to understand a person, but this book actually taught me a third person perspective of working close to a person like Steve Jobs.
This book is not just Steve Jobs, this is a story of how Steve made his team and how they made him!
All Steve's fans must read this piece.
Jason Hekl
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall, worth reading (or listening to, as I did), but I expected more. Clearly, the author was close to Steve Jobs, but I would have liked more stories. He painted a less-than-complete picture of the iconic leader. The lessons were repetitive, and not particularly actionable.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Feb 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation, Jay Elliot, William L. Simon
Matt
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This is a really good book if you can filter out all of Jay's hero worship of Steve! Despite all of that, I found this book very enlightening.
Carrie Kellenberger
Jay Elliot should stick to business and stop writing. This is one of the worst biographies I've ever read. There is no denying that Jobs changed the way we communicate, and I know he has been revered for his leadership abilities. I was looking for something that would lend more to this, but also explain a bit more about his personality.

Jobs was both revered and hated. He was a self-described Buddhist who was insanely rich, but kept stores of watches and expensive gifts for people who 'pleased'
Richard Angelus
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read half a dozen books about Steve Jobs, the man who revolutionized the way we use technology. Among the most detail books on Jobs is by Walter Isaacson. One of the best! But what makes this book unique among many, even in comparison with Isaacson’s, is that Jay Elliot brings a deep, personal and insider perspective of Steve Jobs’ unique leadership style. Jay was the senior vice president of Apple Computer and responsible for many projects and management works. He reported directly to ...more
Rhonda Sue
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which is written by a colleague and mentor of Steve Jobs. The narrator was very good-nice even tone. I didn't know much about Jobs' rise in the digital arena; we're all familiar enough with the huge success of the Apple brand; the ipod, the iphone, the ipad, and Macs. This book has excellent historical information as well as good advice about start ups and how to be successful. Steve Jobs was similar in character to other highly successful CEOs and founders of tech ...more
Eva Majerova
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that helps you understand the thinking and strategies of Steve Jobs in developping, perfectionning, and selling Apple products and in managing his company. It is not only interesting in a way that you take a look into the core strategies and approaches of one of the most impressive company in the world but also because you understand what genie Steve Jobs with his groundbreaking methods was.

I give the book only 4* because some parts were quite difficult to understand and one got
Loy Machedo
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo's Book Review - The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation by Jay Elliot and William L. Simon

The legend of Steve Jobs and his messianic vision will never pass away - that is a fact I can vouch for. Ever since his death in October 5, 2011, Books, Documentaries, Articles have been written about him. In fact a Movie on Steve Jobs with Ashton Kutcher playing the role of Steve Jobs is going to come out very soon. Such is the fascination the world has towards a man who famously
Sivanathan Subramaniam
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very nice book and I believe all the fans of Steve would love this book. Fantastic perspective from Jay who had first hand experience working with Steve.

So much to learn from Steve's traits and his pursuit to changing the world; his perseverance, resilience, charisma, compassion and vision are just so inspiring.
José
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brilliant mind always finds is path. It’s not about the way you succeed it’s all about the way you behave after losing a battle. Steve was all about it, fall and get up again and again...Truly inspiring
Ellen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pmi-ceu
Read for CEU credit for PMI certification. An interesting perspective of Steve Jobs and his non-classic leadership style. Written from the perspective of a sidekick who was with him from nearly the beginning. Gives some insights that other books haven't had.
Radoslav
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Few Pages about innovations where interesting and Value added. The rest was borring.
sadiq
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A slightly different perspective from Walter Isaacson's book. Abit more information too
Daniel TheCreator
Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
only talked about the company
Kunal Bansal
The biography is about the iconic leader Mr. Steve Jobs who as an entrepreneur started an organization with the more technically gifted neighbor kid Mr. Steve Woznaik to give shape to a billion dollar empire (as of today its net worth is around US $222 bn.) The story has long been told and retold in today's generation about how he is sometimes difficult to work with, how he was shown the boot from his own company and his comeback. Jay Elliot has written quite an appealing piece to the general ...more
Sapphire
“The Steve Jobs Way” tries to capture parts of the life of a “boy genius” who earned his first million when he was twenty three, ten million when he turned twenty four and over 200 million when he was twenty five.Told from the perspective of a person who had known Steve Jobs for almost 30 years this book encompasses the Steve Jobs’ way of looking at things.

From “Why join the navy if you can be a pirate” to understanding how the passion and detail for the product ruled Steve Jobs has been very
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness
  • The Innovation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It
  • Inside Apple
  • No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • Steve Jobs
  • Jony Ive: The Genius Behind Apple's Greatest Products
  • Inside Steve's Brain
  • Start Something That Matters
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination