Start by marking “Shaman, Healer, Heretic (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shaman, Healer, Heretic (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #1)

Shaman, Healer, Heretic

(Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman #1)

Even for a techno-shaman, a kachina in the bedroom isn't exactly part of the drill. When Olivia Lawson wakes to find one towering over her, she panics. A Hopi god visiting the real world isn't just wrong-it's impossible.

Or is it?

Soon Olivia learns that the kachina is the least of her worries. As she struggles to save her clients, clashes with other shamans, and fends off t
Published January 21st 2011 by Middleworld (first published January 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shaman, Healer, Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaman, Healer, Heretic

Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Olivia Lawson is a techno-shaman who earns her living helping clients with various ailments. To do this she uses a pair of goggles to enter the middle world and underworld to help retrieve souls and bring them back to their bodies. Olivia wakes one morning to find a Kachina in her room. As she goes about her normal situations with her clients she discovers that a Sumerian god is on the loose and killing people in the underworld.

I read this a few years ago and I've always meant to read the whole
Harule Stokes
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5

Great characters! I enjoyed the book very much simply because of the characters.

Were there holes in the story? Sure. Some of them huge. But, that's not what put a smile on my face at the end. It was the characters themselves that grew on me.

Fun ride, well worth the time.
Wyrdness
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 stars.

Considering that I got this for free from the kindle store I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was more interesting and well written than other books I have paid significantly more for. I may well have given this a full 4 stars if there had been just a tad more consistent world building thrown in (at one point it's stated that no-one really believes shaman exist, but at other times shamanism is very prominently covered (scaremongered) in the news and regular people on the st
Jen Davis
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Books like these are the reason I am willing to try work from self-published authors. I have to admit, I was a wary of the title and the cover, but I am so glad that didn't stop me from reading this book. It's fresh. The pacing is good. The plot is unpredictable without being unstable. And it has a great cast of characters which only pulled me in more, the further I read.

Livvie is a shaman. Armed with a special gift that allows her to send her spirit to another plane, she makes her livi
Grace Krispy
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is immediately engaging. From the very beginning, I was drawn into Livvy's life. The book is sprinkled with tantalizing details about the work of the shaman and how it integrates into the modern LA scene, giving the reader the joy of gradually discovering the details of this world. I loved the idea of the goggles and the multiverse, and I found the "rules" of this existence to be intriguing. It was evident that there was a lot of thought that went into how things would work for the sha ...more
Shinyfox
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

Ah this book was interesting. A great premise but a few things really frustrated me and confused me. Unfortunately all of them are spoilers so forgive me. This is a rather long review, so don't be surprised by the wall of text hidden behind the spoiler tag.

The first begins with a character by the name of
(view spoiler)
So, I Read This Book Today
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal
What’s a Shaman have to do to catch a break, anyway? You haul butt around, all over LA, finding lost souls (literally) and nobody gives you a lick of respect. Ugh. As if slipping on the Technogoggles and hoping around the multiverse, looking for people’s wandering souls was an easy thing to carry off!

Livvy is a Techno-Shaman, a Shaman who uses 3-D goggles combined with the technology of the “God Helmet”, which uses an electromagnetic field and shamanic symbols created with light and magnets in
Stephanie
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
ORIGINAL POST: SHAMAN, HEALER, HERETIC Kept Me Up All Night

SHAMAN, HEALER, HERETIC
An Olivia Lawson, Techno Shaman Novel
Kindle File Size: 416 KB
Paperback: 336 pages

This novel came highly recommended from another blogger, and it did very well in the Amazon competition mentioned above so I decided to check it out via the first chapter which is free online (you can also listen to it free via M. Terry Green's website).

I was impressed enough that I popped for the ninety-nine cents and bought the b
A.F. Grappin
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I was enthralled by Shaman Healer Heretic. That being said, I think I may have been more in love with the idea of techno-shamans than with the book itself. That is not to say the book was bad. Far from it. The plot was compelling, the characters lovable and relatable, and the setting believable. I am unsure if my slight dissatisfaction comes from the book not being longer and fuller, for being a touch simplified, or if I had built expectations that were too high from reading the back cover descr ...more
Krazykiwi
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. It's fun, shamanism and nature religions share some universals world and history wide, but they're also all unique, and this book manages to deal with that quite nicely. The magic system and world building is done very well, bearing in mind I am miss anti-exposition and I don't mind having to look up the odd word (Actually, if you just look up Kachina and Nahual, you can probably manage the rest :)

Full review @ Booklikes.
Angela(demonsangel) Fitzgerald
Review posted on Audible
Debra
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Personal techno-shaman, Livvy Lawson, is having a weird week which is saying something, given how unusual her daily life is. Livvy uses a pair of 3-D goggles to put herself in a trance-like state to venture into the spiritual worlds of Middleworld and then below to Underworld, where she helps people heal. But all is not right in any world right now. An angry ancient god has arrived to kill everything in its path. Meanwhile, a soaring number of people in the real world are flocking to hospitals w ...more
Jill
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let's start this off by saying that this book took me to completely new place, and that's not easy to do these days. I've read all different genres, though urban fantasy is my favorite. I'm not sure why the Native American myths are not a favorite of authors, perhaps it doesn't seem exotic enough. In any case, this was a good solid adventure, taking place across different worlds.

Olivia (Livvy)is a techno shaman, who travels to other planes using a pair of goggles as her transportation medium. I
Sheila
A novel that springs to life right from the start, M. Terry Green’s Shaman, Healer, Heretic introduces the idea of a techno-shaman using technology rather than drugs to access the mysterious worlds of Native American mythology. The author resists any urge to over-explain, bringing readers up to speed through the protagonist’s very natural thoughts about her rather curious healing profession. A former medical student, Livvy uses her shamanic skills to rescue lost souls and care for those whose ai ...more
Rose
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All I was expecting and more......off to buy book 2!
Cissa
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book!

Not only was the pacing great, and the characters rounded and real...

But as someone who has done shamanic work, this was accurate to my experiences in many ways. (Note: I use drumming, not drugs nor tech.) While some of the details differ, the overall feel was excellently portrayed.

Mostly the plot worked well, with some interesting surprises. However, there were aspects of the Big Bad(s) that were not foreshadowed- indeed, at least one detail basically completely contr
Victoria Mixon
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the authenticity of M. Terry Green's credentials for this first book in her unique new series of Olivia Lawson novels.

A long-term author with an important reputation in nonfiction, Green is, as it happens, also both a technology professional and an archaeologist who's lectured at UCLA, with expertise in the mythology she uses for Livvy's journeys between alternate universes. It's a kind of bizarre combination of contradictory areas of expertise---but the exact combination she needs to imb
Sadie Forsythe
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Shaman, Healer, Heretic starts with a spark and retains it throughout. It is fast-paced and easy to get wrapped up in. Techno-shamans are an interesting addition to the paranormal genre and I really appreciated the inclusion of some lesser used cultural and religious references, Hopi and Sumerian for example.

I found some of it a little predictable, but this was more than compensated for by the engaging characters. While Green left some aspects of Livvy's character shrouded in mystery she was a
Veronica Rosa
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
For the most part, I really enjoyed the story. I guessed who the bad guy was, but only because the foreshadowing was decent and not because it was super obvious.

My biggest issue is with the writing. There's a lot of filler words and passive voice. For example "Olivia heard the roar of thunder in the distance." instead of "Thunder roared in the distance." As well as "She started to walk to the door." "She started to turn." "She started to scream." After a half hour of listening, I "st
Rachel Cotterill
This is the first in a fantastic new urban fantasy series. When shamans start dying, young techno-shaman Livvy is the only one willing to bend the rules of their underground society to figure out what's wrong. This is an adventure story which crosses between worlds as often as its heroine, and I loved the colourful characters and vivid description. Definitely a favourite, and I can't wait to read the next one.
Melanie
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on the recommendation of Jen from Red Hot Books.

It is a great book. There are some gaps in the backstory, but the world building is phenomenal. I was also very surprised about who the traitors were in the end.

Great story, I would recommend it to anyone who likes paranormal or science fiction type story. No romance, but there does seem to be a bit of a love interest.
Sandra
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the writing style by the author. I enjoyed the characters and the story line. It was different from other books I have read. I will have to read more by this author in the future. So many books to read so little time!
Jana
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-urban
A tale very well told. Characters and plot are nicely developed and unfolded without feeling "forced". I love a female protagonist that is independent AND easy to like--a role model, if you will. Well done, Ms. Green!
K.D. Reid
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A few misplaced words, misspellings, and grammar mistakes aside, this book was interesting! The character development was fantastic, the plot developed nicely, and it was all relatively workable. M. Terry Green set the stage for the world and wrote the characters through the conflict within the rules of the realm. There was no breaking the rules of how the world operated to make things easier for the characters. My only guff is that it seems to be a series that could be eternally open. This isn' ...more
Kathy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes this world is too damn stressful and depressing, and in this series M. Terry Green takes you away from it all.
It's a fast read (2 days for me), is totally outside the realm of everyday, has a strong female heroine and is just simply entertaining and suspenseful. I fell in love with the characters ... and powered through the second book in 3 days. On No. 3 now and still loving Olivia and SK and all of their friends.
Christine C. Sutter
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved every word!

I throughly enjoyed this book. I quickly became attached to the characters I love Shamanism so that helped. The whole techno thing gave an interesting twist. Felt like a kid again while reading it!
shayne nelson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book kept my attention and brought me back to it so I read it 2 times

I enjoy books that utilize the old legends and are believable. This book fulfilled both of those requirements. I look forward to the sequel
Stanley
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good

I loved this book the author did a very good job of integrating different religious articles and characters into the story line and making the story real to me the reader.
Warren
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was a little fast paced, and I saw (one of) the twists coming a mile away. But it's a solid read, and I'm not against reading more of the series.
Letitia
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this urban fantasy with a technoshaman. I like the character and her dwarf sidekick and the plot had enough danger and suspense to keep me reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Seized (The Pipe Woman Chronicles #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • Abraham's Men (Birch Harbor, #2)
  • Ghostly Summons
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Iron Shinto (Moa, #3)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Winter's Storm: Retribution (Winter's Saga, #2)
  • Far Shore
  • Blood Skies (Blood Skies, #1)
  • The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Maiden's Veil
  • The Heart of the Stone (Stonewiser, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
Hi, I’m Terry.

Personally: My husband and I live in Los Angeles and we’ve both lived in California all our lives. The only way I can summarize my personal life succinctly is to tell you that we stopped being two separate people decades ago. Our natural and usual state is happy, upbeat, and quiet.

Professionally: I write full-time and have for the last several years. My non-fiction, under a different

Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman (5 books)
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Shaman, Sister, Sorceress (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #3)
  • Shaman, Priestess, Pawn (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #4)
  • Shaman, Lover, Warrior (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #5)