Start by marking “ഐതിഹ്യമാല | Aithihyamala” as Want to Read:
ഐതിഹ്യമാല | Aithihyamala

ഐതിഹ്യമാല | Aithihyamala

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  858 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
ഐതിഹയമാല (Aithihyamala or Ithihyamala) (Garland of Legends), is a collection of century-old stories from Kerala that cover a vast spectrum of life, famous persons and events. It is a collection of legends numbering over a hundred, about magicians and yakshis, feudal rulers and conceited poets, kalari experts, practitioners of ayurveda and courtiers; elephants and their mah ...more
Hardcover, First DC Books Edition, 900 pages
Published February 2009 by D C Books (first published April 1909)

Nandakishore Varma
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book strings together the myths and legends of Kerala - it is true to its name, "The Garland of Legends". This fertile strip of land, bordered on one side by the Western Ghats and on the other by the Arabian Sea, is called "God's Own Country" by the tourism authorities. While this is a catchy line to sell to Westerners, "The Country of Woodland Sprites and Goblins" would be more appropriate.

Kerala is rich in myth, folklore and legend - and Kottarathil Sankunni does the invaluable service he
Arun Divakar
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ah ! Mythology ! Hallowed be thy name ! Thou shalt remain as the heart that beats indefatigably even after all the other stories are buried deep beneath the murky waves of time.

Ithihyamala captures some of the central myths from all over Kerala in this door stopper of a book. How is it amazing ? Let me count off on my fingers : There are vampires, witches, wizards, kings & scheming courtiers, vengeful gods & benevolent goddesses, thieves & murderers, noble pachyderms...and a list th
Pramod Nair
This title is the best reference source for everything related to myths and legends from Kerala. Century-old tales about mythical places, events, temples and even legendary elephants are narrated by the author in great detail and will mesmerize the reader. The book is so charming that it invites the reader to re-read it again and again.
Ullas Nair
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
at the age of eleven I was lucky to have enjoyed this book. a treasure...love reading it even now...
Praveen Mohan
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a collection of some of the legends of Kerala. A wonderful read!
VijayaRaghavan S N
NOTE: Review of First Edition.

Poorly edited book. even for a first edition. Lot of grammatical mistakes. And spelling mistakes too make their presence felt. I could have done a better job in editing this one.

Apart from that, the book showcases the old times in Kerala. Me, being from the God's Own Country, found it an interesting read because of the display of heritage and culture of my home land which was unknown to me till now. And the book mentions my hometown too. It was a goosebumps moment t
albin james
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There
Far from our lives, our villages
I'll forget your voice, your face
Even if I hold you tight in my arms
You escape already (from me) there
Śrī
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ഞാൻ ആദയമായി ഐതിഹയമാലയെ കണട ഓർമമ എനികക മൂനനോ നാലോ വയസുളളപപോൾ എനറെ അപപൂപപനറെ പുസതക ശേഖരതതിലാണ. അനന എനികക ആ പുസതകം വായികകാനോ ഒനന കൈയിൽ എടുകകാനോ കഴിയിലലായിരുനനു. എങകിലും അതിനറെ പേരുകൊണടും അത ഒരു തടിയൻ പുസതകമാണെനനുളളതുകൊണടും എനികക അത ഒരു കൗതുകവസതു തനനെയായിരുനനു. ആ പുസതകം ഇപപോഴും എനറെ കൈവശം ഉണടെകിലും ഞാൻ വായിചചത കിൻഡിൽ പുസതകമായിടടാണ. ഇതുതനനെ ഒരു വിരോധാഭാസമായിടടാണ എനികക തോനനിയത.

ഐതിഹയമാല ഇനന മലയാള സാഹിതയതതിൽ ഒരു മഹാസാഹിതയകൃതി തനനെയാണ. കൊടടാരതതിൽ ശരീ ശങകുണണി അവർകൾ ഇത പതതൊൻപതാം നൂററാണടിനറെ ഒടുവിൽ തുടങങി ഇ
Sreeram
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
The history of kerala and the belief of malayalees depicted in a language that the natives cherish to read.It is a string of little stories of different pepole,places,gods and of course elephants that paints the imagination of generations.Like most of the indian villages the story of a place is associated with a the story of its temple.Most of the stories may challenge your reasoning but believe me , you will love to believe them.
Vinay Leo R.
My review: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2ry

I’m not a complete Malayali, but still this book appealed to me a lot. A wonderful collection of myths and legends of Kerala folklore, eight volumes in one big book, untranslated. It was a challenge to finish it, but finish I did. Magical and fun, and definitely re-readable, this is one brilliant book to read (if you know to read Malayalam). Five stars is too less, but since it’s the most one can give, I give that much.
Sujith Philip
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fairy tale book for most Malayali children and now accessible to non-readers of Malayalam. Packed with Kerala folklore, legends, myths and history of lands, Kings, elephants, magicians, sorcerers, gods and goddesses.

I was looking for any English translations of this book for last 20 years and with this enjoyed every 1160 pages! Could have be better translated though and could have been better if packed with some sketches or illustrations but nevertheless hats off to the effort.
Priya Nair
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful short stories tied in a book and the the story which I liked was the story of suryakalady
Manju
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
very very nice. love it.
Sreekanthkj
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
good
Jojo John
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to under stand ancient Kerala and their culture.
Smina
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Smina by: grand father
interesting stories
Sindhu
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must in a malayalis book shelf.
Babu
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is our (Kerala) culture in nutshell. A treasure of knowledge. It requires extraordinary patience and perseverance to compile all stories. Every Malayalee should read this work.
Bilahari
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
മിതത ഏത? സതയം ഏത? ...more
Ravi Mannanikkad
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
വിവരികകാന വാകകുകള ഇലയാ!!! ...more
Dhan
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
have read some of the stories from it.. kadamattath kathanaar etc...
Thorjose
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good good
Amal Sethumadhavan
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: malayalam
Vakkukal kondu prashamsikan kazhiyatha athrayum manoharam... ithihyangaliludeyum kerala charithrathiludeyum kadannu pokunna pusthakam... malayalikal theerchayayum vayichirikkenda pusthakam
Siraj Jaleel
May 02, 2014
Salini
Oct 13, 2014
Jimmy
rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2014
  • ഭാരതപര്യടനം | Bharatha Paryatanam
  • ഒരു തെരുവിന്റെ കഥ | Oru Theruvinte Katha
  • ഇരുട്ടിന്റെ ആത്മാവ്‌ | Iruttinte Athmavu
  • സുന്ദരികളും സുന്ദരന്മാരും | Sundarikalum Sundaranmarum
  • പാലേരി മാണിക്യം ഒരു പാതിരാക്കൊലപാതകത്തിന്റെ കഥ |  Paleri Manikyam: Oru Pathirakolapathakathinte Katha
  • Aanappooda | ആനപ്പൂട
  • സ്മാരകശിലകൾ | Smarakasilakal
  • ആലാഹയുടെ പെണ്മക്കള്‍ | Aalahayude Penmakkal
  • ഇനി ഞാൻ ഉറങ്ങട്ടെ | Ini Njan Urangatte
  • പാണ്ഡവപുരം | Pandavapuram
Kottarathil Sankunni is a well-known author of Malayalam literature. He made huge contributions in both poetry and prose. He started compiling the legends of Kerala in 1909 and completed the work in eight volumes over a quarter of a century. "Aithihyamala" (Garland of Legends), is a collection of stories of legends prepared by Kottarathil Sankunni. The works on the legends were collected and publi ...more
More about Kottarathil Sankunni...