Start by marking “The Haunting of Hill House” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  126,527 ratings  ·  12,067 reviews
The classic supernatural thriller by an author who helped define the genre. First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a “haunting;' Theodora ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Penguin (first published October 16th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Hill House, please sign up.
Shira I don't know that anyone else mentioned that the elder Crain sister, a spinster, has a young woman from the village come and live with her. The…moreI don't know that anyone else mentioned that the elder Crain sister, a spinster, has a young woman from the village come and live with her. The companion inherits the house when the elder sister dies. But the younger sister doesn't see her as worthy of owning the house and harasses her until she ends up killing herself. To me, the companion was the elder sister's lover and the younger sister didn't want to acknowledge that they had a familial relationship. The house is then imbued with resentful repressed same-sex sexual interest, which inflicts itself on Eleanor -- she picks up on the (not-so) subtle hints that Theodora has a lesbian partner (her "roommate") that she's fighting with, and thinks that her future will be following Theodora to her home and becoming her new lover. When that doesn't work for her, what choice does she have but to give herself the same ending the companion had?(less)
Laurie The 1963 black and white film version is one of the all-time scariest movies devoid of gore, monsters or an obvious menace. Because, it's the house.…moreThe 1963 black and white film version is one of the all-time scariest movies devoid of gore, monsters or an obvious menace. Because, it's the house. It's a psychological thriller in the truest, classic sense of that phrase. (less)

·  126,527 ratings  ·  12,067 reviews

Start your review of The Haunting of Hill House
Bill Kerwin
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Haunting of Hill House (1959) is justly revered as an exemplar of the horror genre, not only because its plot provides the template for all those haunted house tales to come, but also because its superb prose and subtle psychology transcend genre, transforming what might otherwise have been merely a sensational tale into a artful novel, worthy of a discerning reader.

The novel suffers from its own pervasive influence, for, as soon as it gets underway, it seems—whether or not you've see
Keith
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Erm. This book was lent to me with the assurance that it was one of the ten-or-so greatest horror novels of all time.

So, just having finished it, I'm already forgetting having read it. The two stars it gets are because, quite literally, "it was ok" -- Jackson has an interesting writing style and an ear for consistent, if not always realistic, quirky dialogue. But the characters spend so much time being weirdly objective about their own fears that when bad stuff happens, I feel sort of...objecti
Michael
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
I'm falling in love with this book all over again as I re-read it. The premise is that of a science experiment--an academic exercise to test the reality of house-haunting. I love the fact that the opening pages essentially replicate the clinical nature of the premise: here's the chief investigator, here are the three other characters, all described at a clinical remove before we get into the "story" itself. A contemporary editor might have said: "Cut this out and get right to the story," but to ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, gothic
”No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”
Fabian
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is not about fear but rather about the love of being afraid-- for the ravenous gauging of limits. Adrenaline is searched for.... neurosis & a collective paranoia ensue. & cause, naturally, follows effect.

"Books are frequently very good carriers... Materializations are often best produced in rooms where there're books. I cannot think of any time when material was in any way hampered by the presence of books." [186]

There is an aura of authentic literary sp
Stephen
Shirley Jackson, you saucy little devil, where have you been all my life? I never knew she could spread prose like this. This is an impressive bit of work and definitely belongs among the classics of literate horror novels.

Right from the first pitch, you can see that Ms Jackson…Shirl…is smitten with language and she uses it to great effect to create an emotionally charged, disorientating atmosphere with healthy heapings of melodrama. Very gothic in feel and actually reminded me of Wuthering Heights as
Shawn
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why rehash what the 5 star reviewers say below? Why even engage the lame arguments by the people who didn't enjoy the book (weak ending? unrealistic dialogue!? not enough happens!?! Christ, people, have an imagination! - although I will say this, they don't seem to be teaching kids what an "unreliable narrator" is in school nowadays, as this book is all about Eleanor's weak and self-centered take on her surroundings and how that slowly gets worked over by Hill House - so an unreliable narration ...more
Julie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hand me my damn smelling salts. . . please.

I feel like I'm recovering from the flu, finishing this read.

It's been a disorienting time. . . just like a nasty run-in with influenza: headaches, sleeplessness, fever, delusions. . . no cure for you until it's over.

Wow.

I talked to this book (always the scariest and most sincere sign of my personal devotion).

I apologized to Shirley Jackson (aloud, in my room, alone).

I asked her to forgive me for not reading this before. This ridiculou
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I got this from the library and I can't figure out what to rate it so I had to go with a 3 for right now.

Here's the thing. I loved the movies better than the book. But I did enjoy the crazy, through the rabbit hole ness of the book. It's not scary in the least. Not to me anyway. But it's good weird and just uggg I can't explain it.

Anyway, sorry so short. I don't feel that good. I wanted to do a longer review on this one. 😕

Mel ❤
Lyn
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird, weird book.

But well worth the time reading it.

Jackson was a masterful storyteller, using a minimalistic approach and a terse, almost journalistic narrative, she creates a mood and sense of expectancy and mystery that grips the reader slowly and completely and lasts until the very end.

And unlike other ghost stories that struggle with an ending, Jackson's haunted house tale brilliantly ends with the same mystery and psychological tension as the narrative held throughout, she leaves the reader witho
Joe
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sgt Pepper and the Citizen Kane of ghost stories.
megs_bookrack
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college, a little film called The Haunting was released. Starring Lily Taylor, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Owen Wilson, this Supernatural Horror flick was essentially a modern re-imagining of Shirley Jackson's, The Haunting of Hill House.

My Mom and I went see it at the theater and I promptly fell in love. Soon after, I was able to buy it on VHS ((I know, right!?!) and commenced watching it 2,638,400 times.

I wish this was an e
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Upping my rating from 3.5 stars to 4.5 on reread. It’s so strange, how much better this classic 1959 haunted house tale worked for me on rereading, knowing what to expect from it. It's creepy in a subdued, elusive sort of way--not the sort of explicit horror that we're more used to nowadays. But the second time through, I could really appreciate all the hints and subtleties and just the sheer artistry in Shirley Jones’ writing.

Dr. John Montague, whose “true vocation” is researching a
Hannah Greendale

The Haunting of Hill House is a slightly spooky read that follows four strangers into the depths of a haunted house with a mind of its own.

"No one knows, even, why some houses are called haunted."
"What else
could you call Hill House?" Luke demanded.
"Well - disturbed, perhaps. Leprous. Sick. Any of the popular euphemisms for insanity; a deranged house is a pretty conceit."

What makes The Haunting of Hillcould
Luvtoread
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great classic horror story! It just may be one of the best, because of the year she wrote this book
truly makes it unique and a precursor of all or most of the haunted house stories to be written thereafter.
The movie The Haunting old b&w based on this story is excellent and truly scary and creepy especially for that era
and so eerie and suspenseful and no blood and gore just an old fashioned scare the wits out of you haunted house story!
Dan Schwent
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
October Buddy Read with the Pantsless Ones

When an occult scholar recruits people to help him research the paranormal events at Hill House, will the house let any of them leave unscathed?

I've heard this touted as a classic haunted house story for decades and finally decided to take the plunge when the Pantless Ones picked it for an October read. I was not overly impressed.

I don't know if this was the case of wrong book/wrong time but I was not engaged by this book. Al
Char
I finished my audio re-read today. My opinion and review below still stands. If it's possible, I loved it even more this time around.
A super scary book with sentences that you want to stop and marvel over.
This is an excellent haunted house story with a psychological aspect.
HIGHLY recommended!

Quote: “I am like a small creature swallowed whole by a monster, she thought, and the monster feels my tiny little movements inside.”

And what I think is the best opening paragraph in all of literat
JV (semi-hiatus)
"Nothing in this house moves, until you look away, and then you just catch something from the corner of your eye."
A lurid phantasmagoria of terror obscuring the facets of reality and the metaphysical. Discombobulation is an understatement even for the most astute of readers whereby mental aberration fuses with psychic disturbances to create a timely classic that uncovers the frailties of the human psyche. Come along, dear visitor, relinquish, abdicate, give yourself willingly to the house's eternal
Dannii Elle
First Read: October 2017, Rating: 5 stars
Second Read: October 2019, Rating: 5 stars

It still astounds me how a decades old horror story can continue to captivate and terrify a modern-day audience, more attuned to altogether grislier, bloodier, and gorier tales.

The Haunting of Hill House is about exactly as the title described. And yet knowing all that is to come enhances instead of detracts from the building dread that begins right as the novel opens. The reader is introduce
Jason
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom has always said that an involuntary shudder—a shiver going up your spine, if you will—indicates someone having just walked over your grave. That cold spot you pass through when walking from the living room into the foyer? That’s not a draft of unheated air coming from upstairs (cold air sinks, you’ll recall)—no, that’s a ghost. And the message written in blood on your bathroom mirror this morning? Well, er, let’s just ignore that for the time being. But really, what is our obsession with the pa ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House is a fantastic story! Like the House of Usher, Hill House draws you into its mystery and the unfolding terror. From the outset, there is an undefinable sense of unease and dread. The first lines indicate that the house holds darkness within (great opening!).
The house finds a way to isolate visitors from the rest of the world, and frightens us with our own demons. We see that happening to characters who have been invited to Hill House.

Strange to me t
Michael
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2018
My full review, as well as my other thoughts on reading, can be found on my blog.

The Haunting of Hill House starts off as a straightforward story about a doctor and his eclectic guests moving into a haunted house for the summer, in order to record its weird happenings, but the novel swiftly transforms into an unsettling study of the links between repression, isolation, and fear. An unexpected and unreciprocated romance sparks the change. Each of the nine chapters consists of a series of cinematic vignett
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

description

Let me start this off by saying the tv-show (while very good) changes literally everything except some names so you can still read the book and be surprised.

This is old-school, slow-build horror, especially in the way it relies on uneasy anticipation instead of shock-factor. There’s no mutilated corpses, gruesome death scenes, and overall very little disturbing imagery-- and this is s
Aoibhínn
The plot, of The Haunting of Hill House, is about three people named, Eleanor, Theodora and Luke, who are invited to stay in a supposedly haunted house for the summer to aid a scientist, Dr. Montague, in his pursuit of paranormal investigation. The book started out as a tale about a creepy old haunted house and then turned into a story about a young mentally unstable woman losing her mind.

I was disappointed by this book to be honest. I felt the novel did not live up to its potential and it
Kayla Dawn
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
2,5* / I don't know, maybe I'm too stupid to appreciate this story.
I was basically bored throughout the whole book. I didn't feel anything for the characters and even the atmosphere didn't quite get to me.

I liked the writing style though and Eleanor as a narrator was really interesting.

I'm still having hopes for the Netflix show!! I heard nothing but awesome things, so I'm really curious about it.

Update: I just finished the show and wooooooow that was he
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Don't Wear Pants
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: THIS REVIEW WILL USE ALLLLLLL OF YOUR DATA. GET THEE TO A REAL ‘PUTER OR AN UNLIMITED CELL PHONE PLAN BEFORE READING.

My first official buddy read with the Non-Crunchy Cool Classic Pantsless ones . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

Turns out they picked kind of a crunchy one. I should have known those bastages were just trying to trick me! The Haunting of Hill House wasn’t awful, but it was most definitely a slow roller and more of an eerie tale rather than a scary one. It was most definitely NOT a work of “unnerving terrhttp://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
WARNING:
Bionic Jean
"Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."

This comes from the opening to The Haunting of Hill House, a 1959 novel by Shirley Jackson, an American writer who died far too young at the age of 48.
Paula Kalin
What a terrific classic. A horror book for all to read.

4 out of 5 stars
Evgeny
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a buddy read in a super-secret group which I will not name for the fear of a fatal accident I will have if I do name it. However I will name the people involved: Licha, Anne, Steve, Jeff, Miriam, Stepheny, Delee, Dan, Dan 2, Alissa, Tadiana, Ginger, Kristin, Christopher, and Kelly. Speaking about Kelly, I have no chances whatsoever to write a better review than hers, but the guy can still hope, can't he? Please let me know if I forgot somebody.

Let me put you in the right mood for the review with some images:

Haunted House 1

Haunted House 2

Haunted House 3

A couple of comments for the pictures above follow. All the depicted places
Beverly
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is much evidence of what a great wordsmith Shirley Jackson was in this book, for example; in her description of the dour gardener and housekeeper, Mr and Mrs. Dudley: "Her apron was clean, her hair was neat, and yet she gave an indefinable air of dirtiness, quite in keeping with her husband, and the suspicious sullenness of her face was a match for the malicious petulance of his." I love the dual adjectives to describe them.
Comedy and horror are two of the most difficult things to wr

• The Bone Houses
  • Hell House
  • Pet Sematary
  • The Turn of the Screw
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • The Exorcist
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Elevation
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)
  • The Institute
  • The Amityville Horror
  • NOS4A2
  • The Woman in Black
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
Shirley Jackson was an influential American author. A popular writer in her time, her work has received increasing attention from literary critics in recent years. She has influenced such writers as Stephen King, Nigel Kneale, and Richard Matheson.

She is best known for her dystopian short story, "The Lottery" (1948), which suggests there is a deeply unsettling underside to bucolic, sma
“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.” 841 likes
“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream.” 488 likes