Start by marking “Clarice Bean Spells Trouble” as Want to Read:
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble

Clarice Bean Spells Trouble (Clarice Bean #6)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,380 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
The capricious Clarice Bean is back and is now in for a spell of trouble as she shares a lesson about kindness in this hilarious, full-length follow-up to Utterly Me, Clarice Bean. Illustrations.
Published July 12th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarice Bean Spells Trouble

Leila T.
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Child is my favourite children's writer at the moment. The Clarice Bean series are for children aged nine, perhaps? So on the older end of the children she writes for.

I received this book as a gift twice! I think it was because of my affinity for grammar, spelling, etc. It enabled me to give one copy away to my cousin's daughter, and I think they are great children's gifts. (Even though I haven't asked my cousin's kid what she thought of it.)

There is wonderful whimsy with the language, Ch
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!!!!! Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she always in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Devon Flaherty
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Clarice Bean trilogy by Lauren Child, published from 1999-2006. The series includes, in order, Utterly Me Clarice Bean, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, and Clarice Bean Don’t Look Now. There are three more books related to the series, but they are picture books and I did not read them.

Best I can decipher, Child started her uber-English writing career with the invention of the Clarice Bean character, but a year later had caught the world’s attention with the first Charlie and Lola book. Now, all
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter & I enjoyed this book a lot :) Funny!
Leung Hoi Yan Chloe
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
This book is just too fun to see, Clarice keeps doing silly things that you will never guess, an example is when exam time she tell other not to breathe that how we spree silly about her and she say many silly and stupid things I think this book is the most funny one I have ever see. So this times is the second times for me to read the book and this example is one of the funniest, that just I think
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble ~ By: Lauren Child
Katrina Haley
9th Period Reading

You’d be surprised at how much not being able to spell the word rhinoceros can get you into trouble! Ten year old Clarice Bean sure knows though. Clarice Bean Spells Trouble is about a girl named Clarice Bean and her best friend Betty Moody who are huge “Ruby Redford” fans (Ruby Redford is a made up secret agent on T.V. and they are coming out with the Ruby Redford movie soon.) and are having an interesting time in s
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the book called 1CSpells Trouble 1D by Laura Child. This is a fiction story and the genre is comedy/mystery. I read this book because I used to watch Claire Bean as a child in a cartoon and I loved it so I choose that it would be a good experience if I also read the book.

Clarice Bean goes to primary and she hates spelling, but loves a detective. Lately she has been naughty, almost as naughty as the naughtiest boy in school called Ruby Redfort. Her teacher choose to make a spelling bee for
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble / Lauren Child / 2005
Genre: fiction
Format: juvenile fiction

Plot Summary: Clarice Bean, aspiring actress and author, unsuccessfully tries to avoid getting into trouble as she attempts to help a friend in need by following the rules of the fictional, "exceptionordinarily" spy, Ruby Redfort.

Considerations: talk of divorce and family trouble

"The childish language and writing style will attract fans of Barbara Park's “Junie B. Jones” series (Random) and random sket
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just saw this book in the book fair. While I was looking for a good book, I just saw this simple little book and first glance in the cover and prologue then I have a feeling that I will love it. Then while reading it, oh my! It's awesome! The characters are just doing their little ways with humorous stuffs, especially Clarice, who is very curious about words and spellings, and her friend, Betty Moody. "Don't look now" (haha!) And oh, before I forget, they are huge fans of Ruby Redford! (haha!) ...more
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Good!!!
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favourite out of the series but I still found it amazing!
Cyenna Spiess
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ok-book
I suggest this book for young adults
Conor Nally
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I've read this book when I was learning how to write and spell! So good
Eu queria ter lido esse livro quando estava aprendendo a escrever e soletrar! Muito bom
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a great book,
Amy Whiffin
Clarice Bean focuses on definitions and spelling, showing a subtle way of teaching children Literacy. The vocabulary in the book is rather extensive; however when there is a word of this nature the meaning is provided, thus showing a learning intention of the book. As stated the vocabulary is extensive thus the book would be aimed for Key Stage Two, or perhaps those over the age of eight.

The style of the book is appealing to children due to the conversational format, and the graphics throughout
Katie Fitzgerald
I love Lauren Child’s Charlie and Lola picture books, so it seemed only natural that I would also enjoy Clarice Bean. Interestingly, I did not enjoy Utterly Me, Clarice Bean, the first chapter book in the series, but came back for more anyway. And it’s a good thing because this book is a thousand times better!

Clarice Bean Tuesday begins this book with an ominous hint toward something terrible she’s done, then flashes back to tell the reader the whole sordid story. The situation involves an impen
Miss Ryoko
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I think I discovered why I utterly (Clarice reference!) love these books... it's because Clarice reminds me A LOT of Junie B. Jones, just a bit older. And I love those books.

I also love these books because Lauren Child has a fantastic way of using language. Its fun and fresh and different in a way that makes her writing stand out for the better.

There is one more Clarice Bean book out... I wonder if there will be more. I hope so! Because these books are really quite fantastic!

A part I enjoyed th
Hard as she tries to be good by following the advice of her hero, fictional child detective Ruby Redfort, Clarice Bean Tuesday cannot seem to stay out of trouble while preparing for a dreaded spelling bee and a school production of “The Sound of Music.” She surprises even herself, however, with her self-sacrificing efforts to help friend Karl out of a sticky situation in this second book of the spunky British girl’s exploits. Irrepressibly funny and frank, Clarice Bean narrates her exploits in a ...more
A. Somers
Clarice Bean has a very distinctive voice! Ms. Child's does an excellent job of capturing the thoughts and actions of Clarice Bean in a realistic way. Clarice and Clementine should get together and compare notes one day. They're both very observant and the "tell it like it is". There were definitely moments in the story where you had to chuckle at Clarice's honesty.
I was disappointed with the ending. As a parent and teacher I wanted the moral of the story to be a little different. But overall it
Clarice Bean doesn't want to get in trouble; it seems though that trouble finds her. Mrs. Wilberton is planning a spelling bee, something that Clarice is not good at, but she studies anyway. Mrs. Wilberton is also the director of the school musical, but instead of Maria or Liesl, she makes Clarice a nun. But then Clarice does something unexpected, and that changes how everyone looks at here.

Lovely second instalment in the Clarice Bean series. Girls will see themselves in Clarice'a struggles in f
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, it's a kids book. My daughter checked it out from he library and I had read different chapters of it to her at bedtime. It was a meaty enough story that the skipping around drove me to sit down and read it. The story telling style is different, which I enjoyed and the subject matter struck me as a bit more mature than what I would have thought interesting for a first grader. She seems to be enjoying the story, as well.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided To read this book because it was the second book and i enjoyed the first book.
The category this book fits into is a book with a female main character.
My favorite quote from this book is
Something new i learnt from this book was not to judge people from when you meet them because they might be really cool later on.
A character i found interesting in this book was Karl Wrenbury because he was the boy who got in trouble all the time, but he still was really nice .
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean is back in her second book. Everything starts because of spelling, but how will it end? Can Clarice Bean, Betty Moody, and Karl Wrenbury (with some help from Ruby Redfort) save the day? Or will one of them need saving?

Fresh and funny, with craziness added here and there. It's a really good book in a series that doesn't have to be read in order.

Pick up this book! Your eyes will be glued to it, I tell you! Glued!
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must really to any girl my daughter is 5 years old and found it very funny and even me the mother was laughing when reading this as its so funny but so right,
If you have read charlie and lola books you will love this as its lola but grown up, i just cant understand how this author is not a mother because she has children spot on , If you have a little girl get her this as she will love it
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean can't spell, but she's learning that it's not such a big deal with a little help from a new teacher, her pals, and a new drama coach...oh, and her idol, Ruby Redfort.

Visually appealing, as well, with how Child changes the font and inserts images and messes with the layout to suit her whim. Clarice Bean, er, Child has a way with words..."Not getting picked for things is a very scarring thing for a child--that's what Betty's mom, Mol, says. I am absolutely covered in scars" (63).
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the cutest books!! If you've ever seen the British cartoons of Charlie & Lola--well, these are by the same author. Told from the perspective of a 11- or 12-yr old girl (I never could figure it out exactly), they reminded me of the Ramona books or a much higher-level Junie B. Jones series. They are darling and very quotable, and my 10-year-old loved them as well. This one is the funniest--the first is also darling.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean cannot spell. She is a normal girl who loves her friends, and the Ruby Redfort TV show! Her teacher puts together the Sound of Music play. Clarice wants to be the head Von Trapp girl, but doesn't get it. Her friend gets in trouble at school, and she make a selfless act to keep him there. I loved the book, but it took a little while to get going. The illustrations are good and go well with the story. It's a good transition-chapter-book.
Gianni Llano
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how this children's book walked us through an everyday life of a child. It does a great job of depicting a story told from a child's point of view through real life situations. The back of forth of various fonts was great. I appreciated the added definitions of multiple words off the dictionary. It was a great read and I think any child in elementary school would enjoy this.
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is around a level R. It is about a girl who needs to study for a spelling bee, and keeps getting in trouble and gets kicked out of the school play for something she didn't do! I would recommend this book to anyone who feels like her. There's other books about her but you don't have to read those first.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Clarice Bean Spells Trouble 1 4 Aug 18, 2014 06:31AM
Clarice Bean's obsession4RubyRedfort 1 14 Sep 12, 2012 09:49AM
  • Judy Moody Goes to College (Judy Moody, #8)
  • Emily Eyefinger (Emily Eyefinger, #1)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Pencil Of Doom! (Schooling Around!)
  • Alice-Miranda at School
  • Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone
  • Oggie Cooder, Party Animal
  • Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze, #1)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Spies Trouble (Jane Blonde, #2)
  • The SOS File
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits, #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)

Fiction Deals

• Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“She knows that it's not my fault if I don't know how many Zs there are in LOSER.” 7 likes