Start by marking “The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War” as Want to Read:
The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War

The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War (The Pulse #2)

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's lives have been destroyed by the events of the Secret War, so what is Jessica going to do about it? Fans of Secret War - feel The Pulse as it pounds out more gritty intrigue even as it welcomes a new artist: award-winning comics superstar Brent Anderson (Rising Stars, Astro City)! Guest-starring: Captain America, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Nick Fur ...more
Published August 3rd 2005 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about The Pulse, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulse, Vol. 2

Brad
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Secret Wars. Never read it. What a cluster****.

Okay. So now I've read a bit of it and I'm utterly confused.

BUT. The bits where Jessica Jones freaks the hell out while looking for her Luke, freaking the hell out of her baby's father?

Well, that was gold. The rest was just backdrop.
Shannon Appelcline
Something blows up, then something else blows, then there's a fight at the docks that we don't see, then a confrontation with Wolverine. It's Jessica Jones following in the footsteps of Secret War, but it's not a particularly satisfying story, and it's not a particularly coherent one if you haven't read Secret War already.

Which is a pity, because the premise is great. Having Secret War notably affect the lives of Luke and Jessica, and then seeing the repercussions of that in Pulse is a great mod
Dec 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Travis
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Okay, I seriously dislike Bendis, hate big crossovers and never read a single issue of Alias, why do I enjoy the Pulse so much?

Maybe, because it doesn't matter if you read Secret War or not, this story stands on it's own. The whole point is the heroes are caught up in something they don;t understand, and the story makes that work.
and despite my not being a big fan of gangsta rap Luke Cage, he and Jessica are a nice, well written couple.

My only gripes are Iron Fist was written as a bit of a dick
Christopher Mclean
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well this was interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. This volume has a much darker, gritter vibe than very vibrant, happy, light first volume. This tone seems much more fitting with Jessica and the corner of the Marvel universe she inhabits. Unfortunately the story itself is so tightly tied in with the secret wars event that I didn't feel like I got even a small portion of a complete story in this arc.

It a real shame too because the story itself does seem interesting. I like the idea of
Anthony
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
Really like Micheal Larks art here. He's an artist who's better when he's not drawing too many characters in capes and costumes. It's a shame he couldn't do the full arc, because Brent Andersons art looks to clumsy and muddy.
Lionel
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Tie-In crossover... what could I expect ? Well, the art got better
Josh
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After reading Bendis's "Alias," I went into "The Pulse" really wanting to like it - and for the most part, I do. However, it isn't quite what I expected in some regards.

Generally, the art worked for me better in this volume than in vol. 1, though there wasn't a significant change in style. Jessica also has a little more attitude in this installment, which I appreciated. And overall, Bendis continues to display his ability to tell a compelling, entertaining, and nuanced story. There is a lot to l
Jeff
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story, but this is far removed from PULSE's original overall premise. Docking a star because this volume clearly takes place during some event called Secret War (not to be confused with either version of Secret Wars) and I felt a little lost as to what SW was all about because I'd never heard reference to it before.
Miguel
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
La acción de este tomo corre paralela a Secret war y so esta ya me pareció bastante floja este volumen no mejora. Los hechos narrados aquí son totalmente circustanciales y el final muy previsible. Lo mejor del volumen James Jameson y sus silencios 😉
Justin Villanueva
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Starts out as a good mystery/thriller but falls flat in the end due to its tie-in nature.
Elizabeth
See, this is a bit better than the last one. It at least feels like the Jessica Jones I know. This is partially due to the artwork, which brings back Jessica from the L'Oreal commercial she seemed to be stuck in in the last volume. It ain't no Gaydos but it's a damn sight better. Grittier, sweatier, darker, more lived in. Also it shows some of the style Alias had in breaking from the six-panel structure, even having one page with dialogue down one side, just focusing on the face, the expression, ...more
Gregory
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
As we left Jessica Jones, some mysterious lady was blowing up Jessica and Luke Cage's apartment. Luke shielded Jessica from most of the blast. Jessica wakes up in the hospital. She's okay and the baby is fine, but Luke is unconscious and the doctors can't operate on him or even hook him up to an IV because of his unbreakable skin. Nick Fury comes to visit and Captain America blames him for the attack. This is story falls after Marvel's Secret War cross-over, which I haven't read. It worked out t ...more
Mike
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Superior espionage-type cold open. No idea what the fuck is going on, escalation, lots of tantalizing fragments. Two superstars going at it like this, no warning - like my last outburst at work (lacking any star let alone superstar status on my part) - no one knew where it came from, looked stunned, didn't know what to do after but were left trying to figure out what next. Life imitates art, or art imitates life? You choose!

Fury fucked around once too often, here's where we see consequences rear
Holden Attradies
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have some mixed feelings about this volume. Part of me REALLY hated that basically a third of the whole Pulse series got hijacked by a big marvel tie in I didn't know squat about. Again, in the place of the rest of this all to short lived series it doesn't fit in well narrative wise.

Yet, after putting the book down and having digested it for a few days in my mind I found I REALLY liked it. I realized eventually that even though I had never heard of "Secret War" that the story is told so well t
Grace
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I have no idea what’s going on but I’m intrigued. (view spoiler)

In the scope of the other books, this one stood out in dragging Jessica back into the superhero world. It also promises a more legitimate plot than past books, which could bode well or badly for the entire series. After all, it’s the fact Jessica isn’t a superhero anymore and eschews it that
Arturo
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005-marvel

Unlike Pulse vol.1. and Alias. This one Seems like a colossal waste of time. The least important story about a very important story (Secret War). to even read it as a small companion to it, It doesn't add anything to it. Jessica Jones being an emotional wreck, alot of drama, even from wolverine. Just adds more Confusion, more mystery, more secrets. So.. I guess that was the point. Feelin frustrated right along with the characters. I guess it did a good job at that.
Daily bugle not printing a ni
Nuno Gil Franco
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Much like the first volume, it seems that Bendis doesn't do his homework. That scene with Wolverine is just plain stupid and Danny (and the rest of the folks guarding Luke) acting like that seems so out of the ordinary.

And while I haven't read the Secret War mini, I think that this volume should have shed some more light into the whole subject. I mean, I get that it's wrapping up some dangling plots from the mini, but there should have been some more explaining.
Katie
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the focus on Jessica Jones and how the storyline of Secret War effected her. It not my favorite style of artwork but it works for a story about Jessica Jones. I enjoyed all the different players in the Marvel universe that, she interacted with and her response to them. She was just a good person looking for her boyfriend surrounded by spies and people hiding secrets. It was a nice take on a superhero story.
carol
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's funny... I never really liked the artwork style in Alias, but after reading this volume I realised how much it fits Jessica. I felt much more at home with this than the previous volume. Although I had no idea what the heck was going on, I somehow liked it. It's darker, grittier and it's so Jessica Jones! Minus her being super emotional, but it's probably due to the pregnancy, so I'm good.
Mely
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-seq-art
So, hey, the reason there was no follow-up on Secret War for Luke Cage was that it went into a completely different book with a completely different title.

I do not understand the logic of this.

But I still liked this volume a lot better than most people seem to, and I finally feel like I'm reading about Jessica and Luke again.
Jim
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, reviews
A nonsensical tie-in to an inconsequential miniseries, Secret War. By far the worst episode in Jessica Jones's story, courtesy of Brian Bendis (esp. Wolverine's now-infamous "Stop raping me!" scene), and Brent Anderson (who I like, but this is a muddy mess). Artist Michael Lark acquits himself well, but his Pulse newsroom was very reminiscent of Gotham Central's squad room.
Doyle
May 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was the first to introduce to me the concept that Brain Michael Bendis may be writing too many monthly titles at one time and that he was probably just phoning it in for some of them. The Pulse seemed to be the victim of his mediocrity during these few months. After loving Alias, I thought the first Pulse book was alright, but this one was just bad. I didn't finish the series.
Tony
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This is - and reads like - fragment of a bigger story. It has some nice character moments and it's interesting to see things like SHEILD and Hydra from another perspective but it's mostly Jessica and Co running from one person who alludes to something to the next.
Feather Mista
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de Alias
Recommended to Feather by: Que continuaba Alias
Sin llegar a arañar siquiera el nivel de Alias, estos tomos con la vida de Jessica Jones embarazada y su nuevo laburo se dejan leer con bastante gusto. Eso sí, de los tres tomos creo que este número 2 es el más flojito. Muchísimo ruido y poquititias nueces.
Callum
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any comic book fan!
Shelves: graphic-novels
There's a lot I could say about this book, but other than mention its special goodness I will only elaborate that it has one of the best scenes with (and most memorable quote by) the character of Wolverine that I have ever encountered.
Dan
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really vague story that never explains itself. I don't know if the book prior explained this or if you had to read another book to know what was going on. Really not worth anyones time picking this up.
Thomas
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wish I had read this at the same time as Secret War. Art was an improvement. Much more like Alias with more focus on Jessica Jones.
Hillary
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
So the art is much worse than in volume 1, but I found the story a little more compelling, despite knowing dick about "Secret Wars." They sure sound intriguing, though.
Gaby
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2016
Review at Oh My Books!
Goodreads Librari...: Replacement Cover: Pulse #2 4 14 Feb 17, 2017 05:07PM
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • New Mutants Classic, Vol. 3
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10: New Avengers
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 6: Return of the King
  • Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume III
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 2
  • Ms. Marvel, Volume 6: Ascension
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 11: The Most Dangerous Game
  • Planetary: Crossing Worlds
  • Marvel Chronicle

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The Pulse (3 books)