Start by marking “Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?” as Want to Read:
Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?

Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?

(Powers (2000) #1)

Heroes glide through the sky on lightning bolts and fire. Flamboyant villains attempt daring daylight robberies. God-like alien creatures clash in epic battle over the nighttime sky. And on the dirty city streets below, Homicide Detective Christian Walker does his job. Walker has to investigate the shocking murder of one of the most popular super-heroes the world has ever ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Image Comics (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Vol. 1

Start your review of Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
Anne
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was my second time reading Who Killed Retro Gir, but it had been 8 yearsish since I'd originally picked this up, so this was basically a fresh do-over for me.
I didn't remember whodunnit or why they'd dunnit, and I'd certainly forgotten why all the heroes seemed to trust the main character, Christian.

description

The gist is that this cop gets saddled with a little girl and a new/nosey partner on the same day that the heroine named Retro Girl turns up dead.
Things happen, secrets are revealed, friendship
Jeff
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Here’s Brian Michael Bendis’ formula for this series:

Throw in a pinch of The Incredibles and a dash of Raymond Chandler and you have Powers.

The skinny: Retro Girl, a seemingly invulnerable super hero has been murdered and it’s up to Detective Christian Walker and his new partner Deena Pilgrim to solve the case.

Walker harbors a deep secret, one that he does not easily reveal.

Along the way, Walker is saddled with a child, Calista, from a police raid.

And kids ask the gosh darndest questions.

The inv
Patrick
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my second or third time through this series. And if anything, I'm enjoying it more this time around.

This is one of the rare superhero comics that you don't have to know anything about superheros to enjoy. (The few others I can think of are The Authority and Astro city.)

Truth is, in many ways, this isn't a comic about superheroes. Or rather, I should say it's not *just* a comic about heroes. It's more a mystery and a police procedural than anything. As the main characters are cops that
Chad
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
There's a reason I keep going back to the well and reading this series again and again. Because it's fantastic! This is peak Bendis to me. The dialog is spot on. The stories are interesting. The chemistry between Walker and Pilgrim is excellent. Bendis is top notch at writing crime comics and police procedurals. This is a bit of both.

I love all the little easter eggs Bendis and Oeming throw in there too, with other creators' superheros showing up in those little interview segments. Here you had
Nicolo Yu
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
It is only on Brian Bendis’ creator-owned properties that one can get pure unadulterated Bendis. He crafts his stories for trades, often in six-issue, decompressed arc. His signature has always been to bombard his panels with word balloons and caption boxes with dialogue, quips and swearing. He is indeed a potty mouth and only here in the Icon imprint that he can indulge himself, although the occasional damn and hell do sprout from the mouths of his corporate superheroes.

Powers is a police p
Ivan
Another interesting take on superhero comics. In fact this is more police procedural set in world of superheros and villains. Dialogues are believable and very well written and this comic manages to involve people with superpowers and still retain atmosphere of good detective book/tv show.

Who killed the retro girl is great great volume 1 and I can tell already I'm going to love this series.

Mir
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked the concept here, and the plot was pretty good. The main character of the detective was fine, and the kid was interesting. The female partner was really annoying and not at all believable as a police office. Did she even detect anything?

The art is not in a style I personally care for, but it worked fine for the tone of the story and it wasn't too hard to tell characters apart (despite all females having the same stereotypical comic figure).

A high three (3.4, say, not quite enough
Artemy
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel-icon
Powers vol. 1 had a pretty slow and sloppy start, but at about midpoint it picks up the pace and becomes actually a pretty enjoyable read. Not the best thing by Bendis I've read so far (the best would probably be Alias, with Scarlet a close second), but it's just volume one, and I am really interested to see where this story will go in the following books.
Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth
This is #96 of the top 100 graphic novels list.

I loved this interesting new telling of the super-hero world.

Heroes can lose their powers at any time, invulnerable heroes can be killed. Even the villains can occasionally be helpful.
Fascinating!

Christian is the powerful detective leading an investigation in the death of the most popular hero ever, Retro Girl. He also acquires a young girl who was the victim of a hostage situation. He ends up kind of babysitting her while waiting for an absent CPS
Alejandro
This is a cool police detective story. I like how Brian Michael Bendis writes the dialogues making it as real talk, how people talks in real life. Also, the mood of police investigation and how the murder affect the rest of people in the city is well managed. I like that Bendis didn't treat the readers as idiots since there are too evident clues about the case but he uses the partner of the lead investigator to speak out the doubts and hints that we got along the reading. Highly recommended.
Shannon Appelcline
Bendis' mash-up of the noir and super genres was at the time quite innovative, and even today it remains one of the best. That's in large part thanks to Bendis' strong, fun writing paired with Oeming's great, stylized artwork.

The heart of the book is the characters. They immediately leap off the page and make you want to learn more about Walker, Deena, and even Callista (who seems like just a one-off here, but would take on greater importance throughout the series). What's particularly notable i
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Powers is a clever blending of superhero and noir crime/mystery fiction. Superheroes not only exist, but they are a normal part of the landscape in this world. And they can end up both as murder victims and perpetrators.

Detective Christian Walker hides a past that is interconnected with superheroes who are involved in the latest murder case, Retro Girl, a seemingly invulnerable crimefighter who is found with her throat slit in a playground underneath a spray-painted phrase, "Kaotic Chick."

This p
James DeSantis
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Unlike most comic fans I enjoy a lot of bendis stuff. I know some of it isn't loved (X-men and most current comics from here) but I still like a lot of it. I especially LOVE his Daredevil/Ultimate Spider-man run.

So I decided to try out powers. Always seemed like a cool subject matter. Have regular officers deal with superhero issues. Basic right? However built it's in own world it could really turn out to be something very interesting.

What I liked: Christian Walker and Deena make a good combo.
Jesse A
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't overly care for this one. Just didn't click for me.
Cara
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 741ish, 2015
This book was great! I've never read a comic where there is an investigation into the death of a superhero. People just don't go around murdering superheroes. But this time someone did. This was part police procedural, part superhero comic, and part super awesome! I can't wait to read the rest of this.
Rauf
It's a murder mystery in a world like ours but full of people with superpowers.

It starts out alright.

The indestructible Retro Girl is found dead.
Detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim try to find out who did it.

My favorite part is when the police couldn't perform an autopsy on Retro Girl's corpse...Nothing can pierces her skin. At one point they even apply a blowtorch on her and
still her skin is unscathed. And when Walker and Pilgrim asked the (parody of famous) superheroes and villain
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {comatose with common sense}
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who grew up watching Teen Titans and Static Shock
Who killed Retro Girl?

All of America is asking themselves this question on the day the body of Retro Girl, a globally beloved superhero and American sweetheart, is found, throat slit and neck broken, outside an elementary school in the city she worked and (presumably) lived in.

It's up to Detective Captain Christian Walker and his new partner, former SWAT member Deena Pilgrim, to answer that question and bring the criminal to justice.

Retro Girl's somewhat dangerous ties to crime boss Jonny Ro
Aildiin
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
My first introduction to Bendis's creator owned work and it's rather good.
The art is simplistic but it grows on you.
I have to read more of this before I make a definitive opinion.
Jedhua
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Info: This collection contains Powers issues #1-6.

Other Useful Reviews: Matt Graupman's review

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

description

After the sudden death of his city's beloved superhero (i.e. Retro Girl), venerated detective Christian Walker is tasked with investigating the incident. Together with his gutsy new partner, Deena Pilgrim, the two find themselves faced with arguably the biggest case of their careers, and must outmaneuver the efforts of a rival detectiv
Melania &#x1f352;
3,15/5

I wasn’t crazy about this one .
Matt
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Enjoyable enough read, but it fell flat for me. The story didn't ultimately "matter" a whole heck of a lot...
Where it loses most of it's allure for me however, is with the sudden and drastic format changes periodically throughout the book. Every once in a while the format changes to 'across both pages' instead of down the left side and then back up to the right side. In addition, I didn't like the news coverage formatting... it felt out of synch and flow from how the rest of the book read.
The fu
Summer
May 11, 2007 rated it did not like it
Powers is to Watchmen and Astro City as The DaVinci Code is to Foucault's Pendulum. The anemic and obvious writing is only overshadowed by the nauseating copy-and-paste art of the "Anatomy? What's that?" school.

If you want to read a good heroes-and-cops book, pass this one up completely and read Alan Moore's Top 10 instead. It's got fantastic writing and gorgeous artwork. Finishing Powers was seriously a chore.
Sidekicks Wanted
I'm slowly coming to the realization that I am a fan of Bendis. I'm bad about looking to see who wrote the book, I'm more likely to read a character. I'm glad that I noticed that I tend to like Bendis.

Robert Timmons
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first volume of Bendis' creator owned Powers. I've seen a lot of good reviews for this and thought I would give it a try because superhero comics which you can read without having decades of backstory are in short supply.
All I can say so far is that it's good but not great. Bendis is known for witty characters but I didn't really find that here. I liked that the comic was not really about superheroes but a mystery police procedural involving superheroes.
This one only gets 3.5 star
Michael Cairns
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-mature
Ace, fantastic, brilliant.
I'm biased, because I haven't yet read anything bad by Brian Michael Bendis, but I do love this.
Great artwork and witty dialogue. The whole arc acts as a great intro to the series, using some of the techniques pioneered by Moore in Watchmen, and using them well.
The story itself is simple, but tragically real, and puts a great spin on a number of superhero tropes.
Great stuff, now for the rest of the series.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Three stars might be a bit unfair, since the writing and characterization were really top notch. I'd say this is just a purely personal rating given because at times I felt like things were dragging on too long. Four pages devoted to nameless characters saying variations of "no"? I get the point, but it was wasted space for me.
Doug
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Started out fantastic. Superheroes meet crime comics; character art is a little bit Samurai Jack. Dialog is Mamet knock-off (which is really fun here.) But man, does it just fizzle out by the end. Great set up, sucky sucky plot resolution.
Phil Bova
Why I haven't read this title before now is beyond me. Love the artistry in the characters. Has its own unique style. Story line is great...
Beckiezra
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
I’m rounding up because it’s a cool concept, police in a superhero world, but I didn’t love some things about this book. The art is sort of Bruce Timm Batman/Superman but with thicker outlines. The extra darkness gave it a more serious edge that I think was beneficial for the story but not necessarily for my enjoyment of the art. I didn’t love the bottom border of news stories, though I don’t think there was a better way to accomplish the exposition teaching us some background on the world of po ...more
Terry Murphy
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first read Powers when I was in CEGEP. It was one of the first times I dares pull something "independant" from a shop, rather than just grabbing something with capes. It was an introduction to Bendis and Oeming, and really scratched an itch I didn't know I had till then. Reading it now so many years later, I still enjoy the beats of the story, I dig Bendis' loopy dialogue and Oeming's sparse style. I never finished the series, and I look forward to making my way through the whole thing this ti ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Superheroes and C...: Powers Television Show 3 9 Oct 14, 2014 05:54AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl? by Brian Michael Bendis 1 4 May 28, 2012 08:47AM

• Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
  • Top 10, Vol. 1
  • Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage (Doom Patrol, #1)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1)
  • Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward
  • DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty

Powers (2000) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay