Start by marking “Envy (Empty Coffin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Envy (Empty Coffin, #1)

Envy

(Empty Coffin #1)

Crime lives--and dies--in the deceptively picture-perfect town of Port Gamble (aka “Empty Coffin”), Washington. Evil lurks and strange things happen--and 15-year-olds Hayley and Taylor Ryan secretly use their wits and their telepathic “twin-sense” to uncover the truth about the town's victims and culprits.

Envy, the series debut, involves the mysterious death of the twins
Published August 23rd 2011 by Splinter

Beverly
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Envy review

I liked this YA mystery. The twins' supernatural talent was unique; if a little discursive. I didn't care for the emails texts, people don't really write that way. Also, he didn't or couldn't get inside the head of real teens. The author was trying too hard to be "cool". He was also flippant about the death of the teenage girl in the book towards the end. Having said that, it did keep my interest, I think there was a better book in here with a little more time.
Amy (Turn the Page)
Apr 20, 2012 marked it as abandoned
‘Some of this story is completely true. And some of it isn’t. Like truth, evil comes in all sorts of flavors. Some bitter. Some deceptively sweet. Sometimes it comes with a heavy price. Most people don’t invite evil into their lives. The dirty little secret is that an invitation isn’t necessary. Locked doors don’t matter. Neither do fancy security systems. Evil is kind of amazing when you think about it. She knows how to get inside.’

Author’s Note

My main issue with Envy is that I really didn’t ge
Carrie
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
I was initially drawn to this book by the eerie cover so I really wasn’t too sure what to expect when I started it. Was it going to be scary, the mystery to easy to figure out or just another YA paranormal book? Well I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. Envy is a dark, cleverly written mystery with a very real threat.

Envy takes place in Port Gamble, a small town in Washington State, and centers around twin girls Hayley & Taylor. The central plot of the book revolves aro
Taylor
Aug 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-god-why
I am astounded at all the four and five star ratings for this book. I hated this book so much. I found this to be unbearably juvenile. I'm a fan of YA fiction, but this felt like writing geared toward 4th-6th graders with mature content thrown in. Such a mess.

Things I hated:
1. The characters were hollow. They didn't feel real. Their dialogue felt empty and forced for the sake of the "story". They were all very unlikeable.
2. Somebody please tell me teenagers don't text/e-mail like that. The text
Asghar Abbas
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok

Alright, this book. OK so yeah, I was all ready to like it, was in the mood for a scary read even if it proves to be generic, which can be lots of brainless fun sometimes, in fact I wanted just that. It certainly looked like it could deliver. It started out creepy and I was liking it, kinda reminded me of The Ring, movie American not the book Japanese, maybe because it was set around Seattle with all the verdant rainyness. It began with a very atmospheric tinge and it was very reminiscent of tha
Sammi
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: twenty-sixteen
Miko O.
Oct 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I found out via Daisy Chain Book Reviews that one of my favorite true crime authors was now delving into the world of young adult fiction I was way excited! Who better to weave together true crime, mystery, and paranormal fantasy into a fast paced young adult novel than Gregg Olsen? For years young adult mysteries have languished being replaced with the ever -popular paranormal romance. While these books have had elements of mystery in them they are mainly focused on the romantic entangleme ...more
Annie Brewer
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW, absolutely fantastic!!!!! Review coming soon!

Okay so I was asked to read and review an ARC for the sequel to this book, I blindly said yes. I'd never heard of the author or the books. So I was hoping that I would enjoy this book first so I could enjoy the sequel as well. And low and behold, I was HOOKED!! First off, the author is a male and normally I don't read books written by males. Not that I'm bias against them or anything, but I just haven't come across any I really liked besides "I a
Dot
Sep 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
I haven't read Olsen's other writing, and I don't read a lot of true crime books, either. However, I do read a lot of YA fiction, and this book just didn't work for me.

I visited Port Gamble earlier this year, and Olsen dropped the ball when it came to setting the scene properly. There's a few asides about the historical property management and how old the houses are, but he never takes the opportunity to give a flat-out description of the town's small scale and quaintness. That's a real shame,
Mike
I abandoned this book around 170 pages in. To be fair, it wasn't entirely the book's fault. I currently have way too many books out from the library, so I need to get through books as fast as I can. So if something's not holding my attention, I'm probably not going to finish it.

And this book really didn't hold my attention. This is probably due to the pacing. The mystery was engaging at first, but then the pace slowed to a crawl, and I got bored of it. A lot of the book doesn't consist of the ch
Meredith
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Won through Goodreads Giveaway. 2.5 I'm going to split my review into two halves. First the bad: The book starts out horribly; I mean the writing is just atrocious. Each chapter ends with a sentence that is an awful, cliché, badly contrived cliffhanger. It was just gut wrenching to read. I am glad, however, that I made myself continue reading, as the quality improved in the end. My other major complaint: A true crime story does not a mystery make. It was obvious before I looked it up that the au ...more
Alyssa Wallace
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There was a lot of great things about Envy, first and for most this book really made me think. I thought about the story this book itself tells but also thought about how true this could be. Things like what happen in Envy really do actually happen. Everyday. Aside from his fabulous characters I also enjoyed his writing style. It was the first book of his I have read and am considering his adult novels. I'm still really curious and anxious for the next book, but I have no doubts it will be just ...more
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Murder is such a dirty word...

Where do I start with this book ? Should I start with that it kept me up late hours of the night? That it kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end ? That it gave me some of the biggest chills and some of the biggest surprises I have ever read ? Well how about I just start with that Gregg Olsen has put together an intense story of mystery, envy, thrill, and betrayal.

Envy is about a girl Katelyn, Katelyn was just found by her mother, on christmas...in the
Michael (Mai)
May 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I'm sorry I just can't finish this book. It keeps switching back and forth between people so fast that I can't keep up. That's not even the worst part. The worst part is the texting, all abbreviations and symbols. Can teenagers read that? Am I too old to understand it? If in real life someone texted me like that I'd have to stop being their friend. Why be too lazy to write "you" but have enough time to insert symbols into the middle of words. If my brother texted like that I'd shake him.
Dre
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I didn't realize the book was based on a true cyberbullying case until the end. I am not surprised a girl like Starla would use what happened to try to gain her 15 minutes of fame. The worst part is there really are a lot more tees like her as witnessed in the news recently!

The story was great, and this has become one of my new favorite YA series. I loved the characters, and I cannot wait for the next book.
Ken Eveleigh
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Port Gamble, Washington, is a town filled with secrets; some of them will get you killed. Twins Haley and Taylor Ryan are convinced that their friend Katelyn didn't die by accident and using their "special gifts" they are on the search for the truth. There are twists and turns aplenty and I was engrossed from the beginning.
Caitlin Hobbs
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is literally the worst book I've ever read.
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Envy wasn't bad, but I found it to not be all that creative and the characters' attitudes towards everything were melodramatic and over-the-top in an annoying way.
Allyson Rida
Sep 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Also on: http://chillinwithbooks.blogspot.hk/

Plot:

Let me just start by saying that I can NOT finish this book. This book sounds promising from reading the blurb and I was excited to get into it but I am VERY disappointed.

The plot is mainly a whodunit storyline, that's good, it's a classic and you can hardly imagine anything to go wrong. But that's not the case for Envy. The story is written in various POVs. Actually, there were so many POVs that I've lost count already. Now, various POVs aren'
Evie
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
***Originally posted to Bookish Blog

Envy is a Young Adult debut novel from the fantastic New York Times bestselling true-crime author, Gregg Olsen. It’s one deliciously dark and eerie read. I devoured it, thoroughly enjoying its creepy atmosphere! Most importantly, the content of this book lives up to its gorgeous cover, which means that if you’re one of the judge-the-book-by-its-cover readers (like me!), you can rest assured - you won’t be disappointed! In fact, you’re in for a quite a treat!
Mara
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, 1-star, thriller
Cover Blurb: It’s a very good cover for a murder mystery, though it looks a little like it was created in PhotoShop. The green background is a nice touch to go along with the title; it reminds me of the saying “green with envy.”

What I Liked: The prologue was foreboding and engaging, even if it was overly descriptive and completely put me off strawberries dunked in white chocolate. And sadly, that is all I can say about this book that I liked.

What I Disliked: Everything. Read on to see the specif
Georgina
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it

As soon as I saw the cover of Envy by Gregg Olsen I knew that would be a perfect book to read during Halloween. There is only one word to describe the cover and that word is CREEPY. That being said the cover underneath the sleeve is beautiful while still being eerie and I think I loved it even more than the main cover. As soon as I saw the cover of this book I was instantly reminded of my mum. My mum loves crime books, murder books and thriller books, with
Sen
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Umm... uhhh.. how should I even commence this review? ...

I am...
disappointed.
DIS-AH-POINTED

"Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy - the bankruptcy of a soul that expends too much in hope and expectation."--Eric Hoffer

Ever since Envy came out, I've been waiting to get a copy of it...but then due to my schoolwork, it is forgotten until April 2012, when I spot it at the Brooklyn Public Library. I've literally ran across the library to get my hands on it...and whoosh, I checked it out without
Victoria Waddle
Katelyn Berkley dies in a freak accident. She is electrocuted in the bathtub when her expresso machine either falls into the water or when she threw it in. Or when someone else threw it in.

Katelyn is a ‘cutter’ whose many serious problems included an alcoholic mother. So is her death a suicide or an accident? Or maybe even murder?

Port Gamble is Katelyn’s home. It’s a seemingly perfect historic town in Washington with a lot of rules—the past has to be preserved—and a lot of secrets. It’s called “
Bunny
**Originally posted on www.bunnycates.com***

[image error]

I was lucky enough to receive this book for review earlier this month, and I couldn’t wait to read it!  The cover alone is creepy enough to make ya want to flip through and see what’s up!  YAY for awesome covers!  I started reading Envy the night I got it, and finished it the next night

Envy (Empty Coffin) has everything I like in a book.  We enjoy a little drama, a little mystery, a little suspense, and a little paranormal.  I really fo

Loretta
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lets start with the cover! Can you say "CREEPIEST COVER AWARD"? Wow, I love it. It draws you into this book. Makes you WANT to read it. Then you flip to the 1st page, and you cannot put it down. It's like, The Grudge / The Ring type of feel when you look at the cover. You automatically think.... creepy! *shudders*
This book is about Katelyn. Katelyn is 15 years old. Katelyn is sad. Katelyn is dead.
Hayley and Taylor were friends of Katelyn. They knew that she was troubled, or sad. Either way they
Jenny
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a Goodreads first reads giveaway.
For some reason whenever I win a giveaway, I get horror, crime, scary books!!
Anyway to the review.
I absolutely loved it.
I also love the font they used for the numbering at the beginning of each chapter.
The story starts off with a girl named Katelyn. She died in a bathtub. In the bathtub, where she was found dead, was an expresso machine. Before Katelyn died she had problems with cutting herself but didn't want to tell anybody. (view spoiler)
Tami
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't received yet, just saw today that I had won. Waiting for its arival. 6/28/11
Just received my copy. Hope to start soon, I have 2 books in line first. 7/11/11
Started this last night. 7/14/11
Finished during lunch today. 7/15/11

Small town along the Western Coast that was originally inhabited by an Indian tribe. One high school girl is found dead in the bathtub from electrocution. Was it suicide, an accident or homicide? She has an ex bff/frenemy that lives next door. Two girls that are twi
Rose
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! I did not see that coming!

**EDIT**

Wow, where do I even begin?! This was another one of those books that I wasn't too sure about. I had tried to read it a couple times, but ended up putting it down every time. Finally, after accepting a blog tour for the sequel, Betrayal, I decided to give it another go and I'm really glad that I did. The first few chapters started off slow, but it soon picked up and I found myself hooked on Envy. I would read it in the dark, in the middle of the night, a
Reading Until Inf...: Envy by Gregg Olsen --> Starting April 23rd 18 14 Apr 25, 2014 07:15PM
Envy 4 15 Mar 31, 2013 11:39AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Envy 1 4 Feb 10, 2012 11:55AM
grab this 50% off TODAY ONLY! 9/28/2011 1 7 Sep 28, 2011 10:50AM
How Mean Are You? 1 15 Sep 09, 2011 06:55AM

• Nebezpečná láska (Bavettovi, #1)
  • Tighter
  • The Blackhope Enigma  (The Blackhope Enigma, #1)
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • India Dark
  • Dark Eyes (Dark Eyes, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • The Seeing
  • Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly, #1)
  • Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, #2)
  • Saving Daisy
  • Damage
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • Cold Fury (Cold Fury, #1)
  • Vicious Little Darlings
  • Glimmer
  • Fathom
  • This is Not Forgiveness
Throughout his career, Gregg Olsen has demonstrated an ability to create a detailed narrative that offers readers fascinating insights into the lives of people caught in extraordinary circumstances.

A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Olsen has written ten nonfiction books, ten novels, and contributed a short story to a collection edited by Lee Child.

The award-winning author has been a guest on

Empty Coffin (2 books)
  • Betrayal (Empty Coffin, #2)
“If only these walls could talk…the world would know just how hard it is to tell the truth in a story in which everyone’s a liar.” 63 likes
“Some of this story is completely true. And some of it isn't. Like truth, evil comes in all sorts of flavors. Some bitter. Some deceptively sweet. Sometimes it comes with a heavy price. While most people don't invite evil into their lives, the dirty little secret is that an invitation isn't necessary. Locked doors don't matter. Neither do fancy security systems. Evil is kind of amazing when you think about it. She knows how to get inside.” 16 likes