Start by marking “Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

Every year, healthcare costs increase while overall health decreases. This book offers insights into your relationship with food, nutritional theories, and holistic approaches to maximizing health.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 2007 by Integrative Nutrition Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Integrative Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Integrative Nutrition

Start your review of Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
seema patel
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
A noble effort, but in many ways just a "bound" version of an advertisement for the author's Integrative Nutrition institute in New York. I appreciate good advice in a book--that's why I buy the book; I don't appreciate the blatant attempt to sell yet another product besides the book. That's what newspapers & billboards are for. That said, three stars for the helpful advice to pay attention to one's cravings to observe from where in your body they actually stem; and another handful of small tips ...more
Angie
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-clubbers
Rosenthal's concrete tips on diet boiled down to common sense. And the rest of his philosophy was not grounded in science.

But when he asserted that people start to look and behave like the animals they eat... he lost all credibility.

Don't waste your time.
Gigi
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has life-changing potential for anyone who is thinking about the food they eat and how this basic elemental drive shapes us. The key to it all: bio-individuality. If you can accept that concept as an incontrovertible fact, they you're on your way to a life of balance, health and peace. LOVE this book.Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness ...more
June Milner
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I gave it a 4 star for all the practical and useful information. We'll written however author does not practice what he preaches when advertising his business. I would have preferred a separate section in the book dedicated to his business information where the profiles would be found rather than placed in each chapter.
Nicoleta Fedorca
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of information in the book and it reads like a novel. The book starts with food theory what to eat why we crave certain foods etc. which the author calls secondary food and after, he goes to explain that primar food it's even more important than secondary food. Primary food is the fulfilling sensation that love, exercise, romance etc gives us. He gives plans and advices you can use to be more happy and healthy in life.
Daniel
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Institute Integrative Nutrition rocks - They're actually now giving away this book as a free download to kindle, ipad or just as a pdf to your computer. Visit http://bit.ly/FreeNutritionEbook to download it off their website.

My friend went through IIN's health coaching training program and said it changed her life and that this book was a big part of it. I was impressed when she sent me this link to download it for free and have been really enjoying it. It's cool that instead of just telling you
Ruthie
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, self-help
If you want to improve your eating habits, this is the book for you. He nicely goes over each fad diet that America loves and states his problem with each one. All the while he offers suggestions on how to eat healthy foods and suggests that not any one way of eating is right for everyone. The main point of Integrative Nutrition is that food is only part of your nutrition, the rest is your surroundings and life. That seems obvious, but somehow many of us forget about it.
Kerry
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I have read a lot of holistic nutrition books over the past two years and this is hands down one of the best. In fact, I'd say this one and Kris Carr's books are musts for anyone who wants to get healthy. I loved the accessible writing style, clear and well-researched explanations and personal anecdotes that put everything into context. The exercises and discussions of primary food were also highlights for me. I am so glad this is the first book I finished in 2014!
Chris
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Its very refreshing to finally read a nutrition book that integrates all the most popular diets and combines it with some philosophy to effectively communicate the fact that we are all different so each diet would most certainly affect us individually in different ways. Great read.
Michelle Hoogterp
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great reminder that healthiness is more than just eating well and mindfully, but also includes spirituality, relationships, etc.
Michael  Gajda
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very holistic approach to food, eating, and life. I like his distinction and integration of 'ordinary food' along with 'primary food'. Primary food includes relationships, work, physical activity, and spiritual practice. Primary food is the circle which includes the ordinary food pyramid. The only way it should be. There's a lot of miserable people out there who eat 'right'. And then there's a lot of happy and contented people who don't eat in search of perfection. I like the tone and the app ...more
Jessica Romrell
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fantastic book! Joshua Rosenthal really challenged me to reevaluate my long-held beliefs and look into a more elevated way of living. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in holistic health and wellness and who is open to the seemingly controversial (but undeniably true) truth that we are all different, and embracing our unique differences within ourselves will allow us to achieve optimum health and wellbeing. I also highly recommend this book to all current, ...more
Renee L Setterington
Interesting !

This book should be required in Jr high school (Middle). Or parts of it. I think it would help our future children to build healthy relationships with people and food.
Jeff Launiere
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book thoroughly as it covered areas of nutrition and health some of which I never heard of before. Most things in the book made sense to me, but some did not. This was a good read that kept me interested in the material throughout.
Jeanine
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clear, practical explanation of Integrative Nutrition written by the creator of this concept.
Brian Johnson
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The more I observed human behavior, the more convinced I became that the key to health is understanding each person’s individual needs, rather than following a set of predetermined rules. I saw plenty of evidence that having happy relationships, a fulfilling career, an exercise routine and a spiritual practice are even more important to health than a daily diet.”

~ Joshua Rosenthal from Integrative Nutrition

Imagine a book that gives us an overview of the politics surrounding the food industry,
Andrea James
This seems like a very well-balanced and sensible approach to nutrition. I suppose it is speaking mainly to an audience for whom money is not a serious constraint as organic food is heavily recommended. I didn't realise that the book was promotional material for the school so it was quite peculiar to have testimonials of previous course attendees regularly featured as one-page "ads".

But I liked that the author wasn't fanatical about any one system and came across quite level-headed in this resp
Anne
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I can only give this four stars, because it is, after all, a diet book. I think Mr. Rosenthal would take exception to that, but that's what it is. Okay, maybe it's a "Lifestyle" book, but still.

His discussion of "primary food" (how our relationships, career, spirituality feed us) v. "secondary food" (the stuff you actually put in your mouth) is pretty interesting. However, much of the book reads like a big commercial for his elitist New Yorkese institute for integrative nutrition. I'm probably j
Erinina Marie
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Integrative Nutrition by Joshua Rosenthal

This book is a wonderful read for anyone who is interested in improving how they treat their body. It breaks down the basic 'diets' out there and how each can be effective and/or damaging. But, it does not advocate any of them, nor deny any of their viability completely. The book is designed to help people begin to understand and listen to the messages their own body is telling them. While the author takes extraordinary leaps at times, without any scienti
Becky
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Rosenthal's more holistic take on nutrition. The author's descriptions of primary foods (relationships, career, etc) vs secondary foods (what we actually eat) rang true and his acceptance of the positive aspects of many different nutritional theories was refreshing. This is a no guilt approach to nutrition with emphasis on listening to your body and being willing to experiment for yourself. The recipes weren't particularly useful, and I wasn't into the "case studies" (felt too much lik ...more
Elisabeth
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This book provides a pretty basic overview of holistic health and nutrition concepts. For someone who is already even somewhat familiar with these ideas, the majority of the book will seem repetitive. The writing quality is slightly subpar - some simple sentence structure errors and such - that I find quite distracting and frustrating when reading a published book of any kind. I gave it three stars because the ideas inspiring the book are good ones (there is no one diet that is right for everyon ...more
Evan Cook
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book overall. I'm a graduate from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition so I'm certainly a little biased towards the principles taught in this book. Really I think the key takeaway from this book that your health is a reflection of so much more than what you eat. It's more about ALL of the inputs in your life or your overall lifestyle. Health is not a separate concept. It's a mindset, a way of living, that you integrate into your own life.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who is lost in
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
This book came to me during one of my final papers I was writing for my bachelor's degree. I was writing about the path to healing and how to shift the mindset to adding good things in and letting them crowd out the unneeded junk without even trying. This book expertly articulated everything I had been trying to say for months. Less than a year later, I was at this man's school in NYC acquiring my certification in Holistic Health Counseling. I recommend this book to everyone. It changed my life.
Debra Brunk
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: recipes
As other reviewers have noted, there is nothing new here; however, it's a good overview of the current state of nutrition/diet all in one place. I hada two issues with the book. First, although the author mentions multiple times that everyone's body is different and diets must differ, the examples he provides of his life come across as the 'right' way to go. Second, the book is an advertisement for the author's school, IIN. I appreciate that I received the book free of charge from IIN, but I thi ...more
Heather
May 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book last spring to critique IIN and see if it was a school I could get on board with - I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the theories and ideas in this book. The thing is, nothing is mind-blowing about the theories, and some are just, plain common sense. But it takes a bit of a paradigm shift to see health as a holistic issue. Joshua does a good job breaking it down and ushering the reader into this new way of thinking.
Gisela Claveria
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am on a recent health kick and, though I bought this book over the summer, finally decided to read it this Fall. It was a really good intro to healthy eating and even though it is full of common sense habits we should all have, the book somehow puts it all into perspective. My husband is reading it now, and I am waiting for him to finish it so I can read it again more carefully. Also has a few healthy recipes in the back.
Tamara Tamburro
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm off and running, started the holistic health counseling program last week. The book is a great reference for holistic nutrition. I love the idea of learning about all the different nutritional approaches to health and being encouraged to find out what works best for me. One type of diet may not work for everyone, we are all unique. It's a great launching board for the program or for anyone wanting to find out more about the vastly under appreciated world of whole foods and well being.
Kate  Maxwell
I thought that this was well-written. While it doesn't contain earth shattering news, it is a very nice synthesis of good common sense tips for anyone who wants to be well. One very nice thing about this book is that it is not an advertisement for the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, even though it is written by its founder.
Briana Murphy
If you know anything about nutrition this is largely common sense. If you don't, this is not a good primary resource because it is half fact and half hyperbole and all agenda, and it's hard to differentiate between everything unless you're ultra-critical of sources and perpetually reading between the lines.
Christine
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! This is the textbook for my Health Coaching course. If you want to know why one diet doesn't fit everyone; if you want to know what post modern nutrition is; if you want to know the truth about big business, diet books and how government and society sabotage your good health, this is a must read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Food: What the Heck Should I Eat?
  • Join the Club: How Peer Pressure Can Transform the World
  • How to Buy an Airstream
  • The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming
  • Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs,  and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers
  • Golden Poppies
  • à Paris
  • Overcoming Job Burnout: How to Renew Enthusiasm for Work
  • The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. (Josephine Bonaparte, #1)
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications [with CD-ROM]
  • Distributed Systems For Fun and Profit
  • Coraline
  • Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe (Josephine Bonaparte, #2)
  • How to Lie with Statistics
  • Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Patients, and Providers
  • Sanditon: Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed
  • Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • Life in the Fasting Lane: The Essential Guide to Making Intermittent Fasting Simple, Sustainable, and Enjoyable

News & Interviews

“We can, and must, develop dialogue and relatedness with our body because it’s talking to us all the time. And please remember, your body loves you. It does everything it can to keep you alive and functioning. You can feed it garbage, and it will take it and digest it for you. You can deprive it of sleep, but still it gets you up and running next morning. You can drink too much alcohol, and it will eliminate it from your system. It loves you unconditionally and does its best to allow you to live the life you came here for. The real issue in this relationship is not whether your body loves you, but whether you love your body. In any relationship, if one partner is loving, faithful and supportive, it’s easy for the other to take that person for granted. That’s what most of us do with our bodies. It is time for you to shift this, and working to understand your cravings is one of the best places to begin. Then you can build a mutually loving relationship with your own body.” 13 likes
“Originally, all foods were “organic”—grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers or hormones. Large-scale farming with chemicals began around World War II, around the same time that food processing exploded. Large-scale farming works against the natural cycles of the earth, relying on chemicals to produce big returns. This process has depleted much of the world’s soil of its minerals and nutrients. The resulting vegetable and animal foods are not only deficient in nutrients, but they are also full of pollutants and agrochemicals.” 0 likes