Start by marking “The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)

The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra #3)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  1,145 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The harp had been lost for centuries until Emereck the minstrel stumbled across it in an abandoned castle. Emereck wished it had never been found at all - for all magic has its price. Nonetheless, it was one of the greatest treasures in the world of Lyra - for its music could make a dying man whole or a whole city die, according to the songs of old.
Mass Market Paperback, 234 pages
Published April 1st 1985 by Ace Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Harp of Imach Thyssel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harp of Imach Thyssel

Amanda
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely predictable. The Lyra books are the kind of books people who don't like fantasy pick on and make fun of. There are always elves, or elvish beings with otherworldly beauty and arrogance out the wing-wah. Then there are some kind of dwarfs, or similar small sturdy creatures. And in the middle of it are humans, who are either perfectly good or so evil they'd sell their grannies to the Anthracite mines for the price of a cup of fantasy coffee-equivalent.
Talented writing can get you over th
Lis Carey
Emereck the minstrel is traveling with Flindaran, a nobleman masquerading as a mistrel, when he discovers, in an abandoned castle, an ancient, and magical, harp. He would much rather have not found it, because all magic has its price. He has an obligation to bring it to the guild, though, and that means he has to deal with other people's desires surrounding it.

Because the Harp of Imach Thyssel can make a badly wounded man whole, or kill an entire city.

Emereck is plunged into the middle of politi
Czol
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-while-ahead
Ugh. I really tried to get through this. The first book in the Lyra series is one of my favourites, & I was hoping this would improve. Made it up to a third of the way through, but couldn't take any more & gave up.

We keep being flung between various different characters, with no real idea of who they are or what any of them want or why. Which, yeah, great for mystery, but really really hard to care about any characters at all. Even the two main characters are 2 dimensional. One is super
Dave Neuendorf
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the third book I've read in the series. I'm still waiting to find one that lives up to the recommendations. This one had a more clever plot than the first two, so I added a star. The romance proceeded so subtly that the conclusion didn't ring true. One irritating feature was the jarring transitions between points of view. It takes more than a paragraph break to make these transitions work.
Lady
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, fantasy
I like that the stories of Lyra are building on each other so that the world grows more dimensional with each one. Like the others this one is well paced with lots of action and interesting enough characters. Except for Tarelith. The character I despise most in stories is the one who is both arrogant and ignorant. They run around the story making really bad decisions, yelling at everyone that they're right and blaming people for making good decisions or for having to do something in reaction to ...more
Nina Fonteneau-Fuentes
This is the third book in the Lyra Series and you can read each book separately so far no past characters have appeared.

I liked the book I love Cilhar characters and the introductions to an endangered dying race. You finally get more history on the Shadow Born and about the third moon being destroyed.

There was one major plot error but I can't explain it without spoilers.

there are deaths and one that should have been climatic was not. the most important one was well made. I like how this author
Sarahz
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The romantic elements in this book were a bit more convincing than in the other Lyra books, and it was mostly pretty strong, but then a major plot point depended on someone doing something that was very out of character, and it really bugged me. (view spoiler) ...more
Maria
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, own, fantasy, digital, series
Emereck is a minstrel and his friend Flindaran is a son of a duke. Together they stumble upon an enchanted castle with a power magical object, the Harp of Imach Thyssel. The Harp has the power to destroy cities and shape the world, and the consequences for the person who plays it is vast. Can their friendship survive?

Why I started it: I'm working my way thru this series... along with the other 500 series that I'm reading.

Why I finished it: I liked that Emereck was so cautious. I know that I woul
Mailee Pyper
This book was better than the previous two. I still feel as though the way she is writing for this series kind of detaches the reader from the story and the characters aren't as well rounded as in some of her other books, but it was fun and interesting. I found it hard to believe that everyone knew about this age old artifact that hadn't been seen for thousands of years...must be the skeptic in me.
Fate's Lady
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was my second favorite of the Lyra books. I liked how the characters' interactions with the harp seemed to shape and change them, and what they found out about that at the end. I also really liked some of the descriptions, and while I really liked the sister who tagged along at the end, I felt like she needed a bit more fleshing out as a character. Overall this was a fun fantasy adventure with a bit of an illustration about power corrupting.
Lea
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is not the most engaging or exciting of Wrede's books but it's still well written. Wrede creates lawless and effortless prose and completely original characters and puts them in a unique and well crafted worlds. I loved the hero Emereck for his lack of heroism- he was perfectly believable and flawed and while he did save the day he could not have done so without help from some of the braver characters.
Kate
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By no means was this her best book, or even the best in the Lyra series. There were parts that felt really clumsy, which is something I've only felt in Wrede's work during this book and Caught in Crystal. Still, it was quite enjoyable, and I really liked the excerpt from the "history book" at the end, which was quite interesting and helped to explain a lot of things.
Tabi Wares
Characters: great, storyline: awesome,.....ending? Rushed. The story was great, if a little slow paced up until the last few chapters when the ending was resolved almost immediately. It was just a bit awkward.

Also, apparently, all of Lyra's main characters have the same exact conflict and mental processes: "magic/past??? I want nothing to do with it!!! No no no!!!!" For the ladies and "Woe is me, I aim above my station, but I shall protect her with my life if possible!!" For the gentlemen.
Aunt Edie
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The middle books in a series are almost always hard to review. I've been known to copy and paste extensively. Again we have more stock fantasy. Easy, quick read. Entertaining without being thought-provoking. There is a place for thought-provoking speculative fiction. Absolutely. That is often the point of it. But sometimes you just want a book and a cup of tea and to not have to think any of your own thoughts for a couple hours. Onward to book four...
Crystal
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5 than a 4. Enjoyable, with likeable enough characters and unobtrusive prose, but a little shallow, with a pretty standard-feeling fantasy plot structure. Follows a lot of the author's usual patterns for this universe and doesn't seem particularly unique taken as a whole with the other Lyra novels.
Jonathan
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is my second favorite book by Wrede, after The Seven Towers. There is sufficient character development to be engaging, a small bit of humor, a good bit of intrigue, and a decent happy-ish ending.
Kat
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic
The characterization is a little sketchy, and some of the emotional reactions seem a little shallow, but the story is pretty good. I think the story is actually bigger than the constraints of early-80s short-n-sweet fantasy really allowed, and I kind of wish there were an expanded version.
Timothy
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread again recently, from my bookshelf. And the book was so fragile with the cover coming off. But again, an oldie but goodie, with a good storyline that flows from other standalone books in the Lyra series.
Li
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first two Lyra books, but still on the fence. It helped that there was a bit more focus on a single character's POV, I think - made it easier to connect with the story.
EL
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really buy some of the reveals at the ending, but overall it was a pretty good book and a solid addition to the worldbuilding/meta-plot of Lyra.
Kate E
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the male point of view in this one, and also Liana's character was a pleasant surprise. Some of the twists and turns in the plotline I was unprepared for, but they worked.
Brian Allen
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful novel, filled with magic, battle, adventure, loss, and romance. I highly recommend this book for those who love good fantasy novels.
Gloriamarie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Favorite so far of the series. Very enjoyable, full of surprising plot twists, the bad guys were well-developed. Enjoyed the world-building. Became somewhat invested in the main characters.
Matthew
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this further installment in the Lyra series a good deal, though the ending was quite sudden.
Joan
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was better than the first two. Probably because it had the Background filled in in by them. But I found it better imagined especially the castle of wind song.
Asti
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This is book 3 in Lyra series, and every time it's getting more engaging. I finished this one in two days.
♥Xeni♥
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: otherworld, music
Once again, a predictable ending, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable YA book. I loved the music aspect most of all, although the plot-line continuance of Shadow-Born was also quite interesting.
Brian Palmer
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The Harp of Imach Thyssel was the first of the Lyra series that I read, and it's got a mixture of tragic fantasy and bardic fascination that I imprinted on early. That said, as I re-read it this time, I realized it's not the most exciting story; more than most of the other books in the series, it's tied to the history that the other Lyra books expose (which felt really rich at the time, but now that I've read the others, somehow feels less).

It's still a good book, but somehow it's become less su
Beka
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated, but intriguing. Another interesting story from the world of Lyra. This one was very sad, but still an interesting story.
SophiaGhastly
After enjoying her other works this series is definitely from a younger and less experienced author. Characters are flat and unbelievable love plots. Not terrible but not my favorite.
  • Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)
  • When The King Comes Home (A College of Magics)
  • Six of Swords
  • Knave Of Dreams
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)
  • The Harp of the Grey Rose
  • The Mammoth Book of Sorcerers' Tales : The Ultimate Collection of Magical Fantasy from Tom Holt, Ursula K. LeGuin, Michael Moorcock, Peter Crowther, Louise Cooper, and many more
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Last Joy
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • Elvendude (SERRAted Edge #6)
  • Warsaw
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • Witch Way to the Mall
  • The Beggar Queen (Westmark #3)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Lyra (5 books)
  • Shadow Magic (Lyra, #1)
  • Daughter of Witches (Lyra, #2)
  • Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)