Start by marking “Dying Young” as Want to Read:
Dying Young

Dying Young

Victor, a 33-year-old intellectual, has decided to end his treatment for leukemia and live out the remainder of his life in a small coastal community. He falls in love with the girl he hired to care for him, and their romance is fraught with uncertainty.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published June 17th 1991 by Ivy Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dying Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying Young

Twerking To Beethoven
Apr 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: load-of-wank
I remember reading this back in... pfff... probably 1992 when I was much younger. I didn't like it at the time, I thought it was absolutely hideous, but read it anyway because back then I had much more time on my hands than now. Well, I stumbled upon this piece of junk today, it was inside an old cardboard box so I thumbed through the pages and... ugh! Present tense, horrible dialogue full of the worst cliches, and depression aplenty.

One star.

Actually a quarter.
Mark Farley
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't just want to write about a book today. No, I wanted to write about a book and a film. Or more importantly a book that was made into a film and how books and films correlate.
Its a cliche and I find myself saying this all the time. I'm like a broken fucking record. But the relationship between the written word and the silver screen (ergo, Hollywood) is a long and much documented story that better people have written better things about but the one thing that irks me the most about fallin
Chrissy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book! I have kept a copy of this so that I can read it again and again. This is about a woman that is hired to take care of a young man that is diagnosed with lukemia. They fall in love with each other and try to ignore that he is sick. At times it eats her up inside, because he will not seek treatment. He's tired of the doctors and of being sick so there are many days where she goes out because he sleeps all day.

She ends up meeting another young man and has an affair with h
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this before I saw the movie, and it is so much better! Yes, it's not uplifting per se, but it resonates. The movie basically soft-pedaled everything. The characters here are strong, and make choices that allow them to work through an impossible situation. The ending is one of my all-time favourites. In the movie's defense, it did end that way originally, but test audiences wanted a happy ending.
Nathan Burgoine
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The story of a caretaker and a man dying of lieukemia, and a third man who gains the caretaker's attention, this was a movie with Julia Roberts, and this is the Movie Tie-In. I'm not sure what possessed me to read it way back when, except maybe for a while I had a real fascination with dead/dying characters (I think I was convinced it was romantic).

If you've seen the movie, you've already read this book, but hey.
Keefe
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
The storyline is better than the movie! It's fast-paced reading.
There are so much details from various description in the book that sometime bored me.
It's a good reading for those who loves a genre of new age.
Amanda Garland
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Officially the worst book I've ever read. First, the characters are awful. I mean, how selfish can Hilary be? Cheating on a dying man and then allowing both men to be friends? How cruel is that? And Gordon. Sleeping with a woman who is in a relationship with a man that is dying? So infuriating. As for the actual writing, I feel like the author tried to describe EVERY SINGLE THING in the book WAY too much that the book lacked substance overall. Way too much description, not enough story. I litera ...more
Ashley Heider Kenny
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Since I am in love and googly eyed over the movie, I thought the book must be amazing! Everything that I love about the movie is absent from the book and frankly, every character is down right annoying and dysfunctional in the book.

Alas, this one is the exception to the rule. The movie is better than the book. :(
Kalyn
Feb 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is one instance where the movie is far better than the book. I know it is horrible to say but by the end I had just wished that a bomb had dropped on them all! I have never really encoutered characters as unlikable as these. Yuck!
Riyam Sabi
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it soo much ❤
Sophie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had expected more.
Dying young is about a young woman who cares for her dying man but she falls in love with another man. And as if that wasn’t enough, these 2 men become friends. I expected a tragic love story because the book is about a love triangle but in my opinion it is a psychological novel.The story is very detailed,but nevertheless I couldn’t feel empathy with the characters.I think the book would please more older people who have more life experience because for me it was hard to und
Susan
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I like to be positive, so I'll start by saying that I liked the way this book was written. The choppy style and scenes kind of happening in short bursts moved the story along quickly. That said, I did not really care for the story.

I should have known that this wasn't going to be my kind of book, but for whatever reason I picked it up anyway.

The drama--with the yelling and breaking of things--reminded me of the cheesiest of the daily soap operas and not in the good this-is-so-corny-it's-funny ki
Samantha
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am so happy I am finally done with this book....I disliked it so much. Obviously, with a title like that, it was indeed very depressing but there was also to me very unrealistic moments. It was bizarre...some parts just did not make sense to me. Nicholas Sparks tells the best stories of this kind of theme, in my opinion. He does a much better job. Sorry, Leimbach.
But the good news is...I can count it in my Goodreads reading goal this year. Lol!
Valerie
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Well, let me first say I love the fresh, choppy style of Leimbach's writing. Great descriptions. That set aside, there wasn't much else I liked about the book. The three main characters were horrible people, all tremendously selfish, much like everyone else in the book. Their values were skewed. They had no respect for each other. The book is basically about the train wreck of their lives. I wasn't a fan.
Tree
Sep 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I was a fan of the movie and saw this on a clearance shelf for $1.

Though I though the movie and book were good, the movie was more uplifting. The movie was truly about living the time you have left. This was appropriately entitled Dying Young. Death should have been its own character.

Also, the other characters were more likeable in the movie.
Celina
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Mix feelings. It was good, yes, but tough. I had to put it down several times, and I was in no rush to finish it. But as soon as I reach the part with the lovetriangle I couldn't put the book down. I actually think that the first half of the book was quite boring but as I reached the end it was so touching I started to cry (I get very emotional with books). The book gets three stars from me.
Claudia Reinfelds
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
"In my mind I see Victor, stubbing out his cigarette, staring at our apartment's oak door. He is wearing an expression I have never seen before, a private face, vivid, nervous, not to be shared. He is taking an awful long time to stand and go inside, but he is going."
Karen
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-growing-up
Much better, though certainly more depressing, than the movie.
Isaac Miranda