Start by marking “Jesus Potter Harry Christ: The Astonishing Relationship Between Two of the World's Most Popular Literary Characters: A Historical Investigation Into the Mythology and Literature of Jesus Christ and the Religious Symbolism in Rowling's Magical Series.” as Want to Read:

Read Book

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  79 ratings  ·  32 reviews
LET’S SKIP THE INTRODUCTIONS. You don’t need me to tell you that Jesus Christ and Harry are two of the most famous celebrities in the world, whose stories have been translated into dozens of languages and found international support in diverse cultures. What you may not be aware of, however, is the mysterious, complicated and intriguing relationship between them. For examp ...more
Published February 5th 2011 by Holy Blasphemy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Katherine
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
(I won this book through GoodReads First Reads)

A little misleading, I was kind of expecting this book to parallel some of the themes similar between the literary characters of Jesus and Harry Potter, or at least those themes and symbols found in both the Gospels and the Harry Potter series. While the author did go, quite in depth, in the Pagan themes and symbolism, he didn’t really spend a lot of time talking about Harry Potter. In fact, he hardly seemed to mention him, or the series
Ems Dawson
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gosh where to start?... An impressively heavy tome, it reads like an academic paper. Its divided into three parts, then subdivided. The subdivisions work as part of a cohesive narrative, but also allow you to pick and choose the parts you're most interested in. As a result it is easy to follow Murphy's logic and makes for fuss free reading.

A lot of research and effort have obviously been expended in writing this book, but at no point does it feel laboured or like Murphy has an axe to
Lee Harmon
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Was Harry Potter molded in the form of Jesus Christ? This book touches on the similarities between Jesus and Harry, but only as a surface introduction and running theme floating above a much deeper topic. The meat of the book is in its serious research into Jesus as a nonhistoric figure, a developed myth. Like our favorite little wizard.

This idea of a nonhistorical Jesus greatly disturbs most Christians. Murphy takes a stab at explaining our unease: “If Jesus was not historical, he w
Ron Fritsch
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Derek Murphy's Jesus Potter Harry Christ opened my eyes.

Murphy begins his adventure by noting that the first Harry Potter novels drew scorn from some Christians for seeming to endorse witchcraft and magic. And since those books appeared to be written for children, they were especially malign. Murphy further notes, though, that the later Harry Potter novels silenced some of the criticism when it was alleged that J. K. Rowling was writing an allegory of the Jesus Christ story in the ma
Mary
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for an amusing little 60- or 70-page book on the obvious similarities between Jesus and Harry, you're in for a shock. That's what I was looking for since I'm a fan of both. This book is an extensive research project into the ancient mythologies far beyond the familiar Greek and Roman gods and their parallels in Christianity. Miracle births, resurrections after 3 days, baptisms--they're all there. The author delves into numerology, astrology, geometry (Did you know there is a co ...more
Evie
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So! This was quite a surprise!
I knew this book was written to spotlight the parallels between Harry Potter and Jesus Christ, but I did not at all expect it to be so interesting and amazingly written! I was so impressed with the amount of work the author of this book has put into it. The research was very thorough. Derek Murphy talked about things that have never even crossed my mind. I think this book makes a fascinating read for any Harry Potter fan, regardless of your religion beliefs.

I actu
Gioia
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I won this book as a first read winner...
and honestly this is not at all what I expected. Murphy has indeed done a lot of research in both Christ and HP.
just keep your mind open and i think you will truly enjoy this book like I did!
Tracy Black
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, this is the most interesting book I've read so far in 2011. Murphy made a very strong case for a literary Jesus. An incredible amount of research must have gone into the writing. I'm impressed.
Bettie
Mar 01, 2011 marked it as noway-josé
As Jerelyn says, "Someone is going directly to hell! LOL"
Shon Carter
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read. I don't want to spoil it, but it's well worth the buy ! Will definitely elaborate more as soon as I'm done reading !
Jc
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is no doubt that HP is choke full of religious symbolism, mythological references and relationships to even older mystery cults. This book brings forth the idea of a relationship between JC and HP in a unique thought=provoking manner.
Alysha DeShaé
Wow... This was wonderful. Definitely a must read for those interested in the topic of whether the character of Jesus is pure fiction or truly existed as a human.
Paul
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The parallels between Jesus Christ and Harry Potter are actually closer than most people may realize. The book also looks at where Jesus in the Bible came from, an actual person, or a collection of stories?

When the first Harry Potter book was released, does anyone remember the uproar from the religious community? The lawsuits and book burnings came about because the book supposedly promoted witchcraft. By the time the last book was released, the attitude was very different because of
Laurie Gray
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for ReadersFavorites.com.

Jesus Potter Harry Christ by Derek Murphy is a scholarly journey through ancient mythology, cosmology, astrology, early church history and modern metaphor to demonstrate how our spiritual beliefs spring from the stories we tell ourselves—and have always told ourselves—about life, the physical world we observe, and the nature of humankind. Murphy posits that Jesus of Nazareth, like Harry Potter, is a purely literary character. He examines
Dave Berlin
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is certainly not an introductory text to Christian mythicism, nor an easy read. This is in part due to the large number of similar gods that preceded Jesus, as well as the difficulty in tracing aspects of Jesus back to these earlier gods. And in many ways I think the title is unfortunate; while the author makes a compelling case that Jesus is no more real than Harry Potter, the somewhat silly title doesn't really do justice to this well-researched tome. And sadly I don't think many Christia ...more
Frank Deschain
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
Living in Oklahoma, it's easy to be taken in by those who say that if you don't subscribe to the story of Christianity, you are a sinner who has only the fires of Hell to look foward to. For those of us who are constantly questioning the nature of actual reality, along comes Jesus Potter Harry Christ. This book lays out in a very readable format all of the world's religions and mythologies. Everything from Anubis to Dionysus is covered, and pretty soon the conclusion is reached that Jesus Christ ...more
Chuck
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author uses comparative mythology, historical critique and Biblical exegesis to support his hypothesis that once the historicity of Jesus Christ is removed, all that is left are recycled myths, folklore and misdirected fanaticism.

He draws parallels between pagan folklore, sun-worship and mythology (Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek and others) and Christianity. He shows that similar myths and ideas predate Judeo-Christian thought and that the Biblical story of Christ bears striking sim
Denise
Thus far (pg. 178), entertaining though I find my skeptical inner voice isn't happy. Murphy writes about Attis, citing Robert Turcan. Turcan cites Thomas Doane. Doane cites Charles Dupuis. Dupuis may have an original source, I have no idea. Am I supposed to accept the parallels between Attis and Jesus because a french scholar in the late 1700s wrote about them? For me, this a serious flaw for Jesus Potter and I must consider the remainder of the book with a very large grain of salt.

U
Jaded
I have been reading and annotating this book daily, and have to say that it is simply amazing! Bart Ehrman is a former professor of mine as well as a mentor who covers the historical Jesus issue quite thoroughly, and Derek Murphy is lock step with all of the research that I have done and have been privy to....I have been singing the praises of Jesus Potter Harry Christ to all of my colleagues.

The author has indeed done his homework and does a fine job of presenting the facts and side
K.
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book provided an informative history of how religion developed based on astronomy and astrology, as well as an inventive comparison between the literary lives of Jesus Christ and Harry Potter. The latter chapters dealt with Christian and pagan history. I enjoyed this book thoroughly and came away with much more knowledge than I had when I started reading it. I would recommend this book to those interested in history of religion and those who enjoy literary analysis.
Powerispower
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who think they know a lot about christianity without knowing much of anything.
An examination of the jesus christ figure with comparisons to harry potter, and other literary characters (mostly ancient) as well as an substantial amount of history of early christianity. I would have liked more harry potter and literary criticism with less jesus christ and history but it's a good book on jesus and the formation of christianity.
Sally
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
An argument with much supporting evidence for Jesus as a literary/mythical figure rather than as a historical person, holding that he was later considered historical by Christians ignorant of the inner mysteries of the new faith. His discussion of the flaws in the pagan texts often cited as supporting the historicity of Jesus is particularly clear.
Eruwenn
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and informative work, but there's a surprising lack of Harry Potter. The author delves into so many other things, though, that it's still very worth the read. It's just that if you're expecting a long run of Christ-Potter comparisons, you're kind of out of luck.
Chelsea
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not done with this yet, but right now one of the things that is annoying the SHIT out of me is his use of the word "esoteric." It's almost literally on every page. If I see it one more time I'm going to make a noise like a tea kettle.
Peter Ochs
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freethought
Tells it like it is. In a thousand years mankind will probably be worshiping Harry Potter.
Misfit
Feb 28, 2011 marked it as no-thank-you
Give away if anyone is interested...
Nermin
Mar 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
the synopsis of this book must be the longest synopsis in the history of long synopses.
Weishubuduo
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read this year!
Chris
A good look at all the various stories and legends on the basis of Christianity. Would have liked, and expected to see more comparison to Harry Potter.
Foggygirl
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
Needless to say the cover and the title grabbed my attention and the entire premise that Jesus like Harry Potter is a fictional character was fascinating.

• Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander: The Story of Alexander the Great's Invasion of the Middle East
  • Neopagan Rites: A Guide to Creating Public Rituals That Work
  • Living in Sin?: A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality
  • Sunrise Over Disney
  • The Rediscovery of North America
  • Being and Homelessness: Notes from an Underground Artist
  • When the Trees Say Nothing: Writings on Nature
  • 'White Girl Bleed A Lot': The Return of Racial Violence to America and How the Media Ignore It
  • Your Mythic Journey: Finding Meaning in Your Life Through Writing and Storytelling
  • Rise Up Singing: The Group Singing Songbook