Start by marking “Insomnia” as Want to Read:
Insomnia

Insomnia

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  129,613 ratings  ·  3,109 reviews
Ralph Roberts, a sus setenta años y tras la muerte de su mujer, siente que su vida se acaba. ¿Es acaso posible que su reciente viudez, unida a un persistente insomnio, sea la causa de esa nueva sensibilidad visual que, poco a poco, le permite ver el más allá de las personas? A Ralph le preocupa este hecho, no menos que el súbito e inexplicable comportamiento, irracional y ...more
Pasta blanda, 890 pages
Published February 28th 2005 by Debolsillo (first published September 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Insomnia, please sign up.
Garry Wayne It's one of King's 'things' to make reference to other of his books. It seems his philosophy is to write what comes into his mind and he must be…moreIt's one of King's 'things' to make reference to other of his books. It seems his philosophy is to write what comes into his mind and he must be thinking of the other book or series so he writes it. It only adds to the bulk of the book and nothing to the story. I wish he would just let each story stand on its own. By the way, the Dark Tower series is very good and far superior to Insomnia. (less)
Scott Laight This book does not really have a 'scarefest' but it does have (in my opinion) a very strong final third with plenty of action and explanations. It's…moreThis book does not really have a 'scarefest' but it does have (in my opinion) a very strong final third with plenty of action and explanations. It's maybe not your typical horror story but i think it shows King can weave great stories in more than just the horror genre(less)

·  129,613 ratings  ·  3,109 reviews

Start your review of Insomnia
Bill Harrington
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you find yourself with an afternoon to kill...read a magazine. If, however, you need to occupy yourself on a voyage to Mars, pick up "Insomnia."

It's long.

It is, however, quite good.

"Insomnia" begins as Ralph Roberts, a pleasant, not-too-cantankerous gentleman in his 70s, watches his beloved wife taken from him by cancer. Shortly after her death, he begins to experience "early waking" insomnia. Each night, it seems, he wakes earlier than the one before. Soon, he is awake all night.

In the
Jeff
This was an official Pantless group side-read with those splendid cullys (a big shout-out to our newest member, baby Ryder!!!) of the Dark Tower Buddy read group…

…and that was pretty much the only thing that got me through this labored read.

This was a DNF the first time I tried to read it and it was almost a DNF the second time. Yes, I made more progress this time before I almost threw in the towel, but the anticipation of a tie-in to the Dark Tower series kept me going. And going.

And going.

A
Johann (jobis89)

Following the death of his wife, Ralph Roberts has trouble sleeping. He finds himself waking up earlier and earlier each night. During his late night vigils, he observes weird goings on in his hometown of Derry, Maine. Pretty quickly he realises that the strange things he is seeing are not the result of sleep-deprived hallucinations, but something much more significant.

I got a
Lyn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird book.

Remind me to never visit Derry Maine. This setting of a number of Stephen King’s novels is again center stage in this 1994 book about not sleeping and going crazy because of it.

I was drawn to this title as I have struggled off and on with insomnia most of my life. I wonder how many readers have stayed up all night reading, I know I have. I remember a haze of years when I averaged about 4-5 hours a sleep a night and recall visual hallucinations and waking dreams and just being tired
Rachael
Nov 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults
This book is not for everyone. For one its over 700 pages long. Another reason is that it deals with what some people say is uncomfortable topics:abortion, mental illness, domestic abuse and the afterlife and possible alternate worlds.

Another reason why this book is unique and different from other books is that the hero is a regular joe who happens to be in his 70's!

I loved this book. It took my mind to a place where few books can take me. I was not here reading the book-I was in Derry, Maine
James
One of my least favorite things to do is give a bad review. To me, unless a book is truly unreadable and never should've been published, it shouldn't get only 1 star. 2 stars is for those books which just aren't a good fit for me and had too many issues to overlook (not often used by me either, and overused by other readers in my opinion... sometimes there's no accounting for personal taste)!

Insomnia by Stephen King was chosen with my buddy Medhat as our buddy read this month. We both like
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Prefatory Matters: I lost a twenty-year-old book during this reread. Most of you have the seen the picture of my gutted hardcover copy of Insomnia. If you haven’t I’ll include it at the end of this post as well. Total loss of containment, folks. About thirty pages loosed themselves from the glue and became individual souls. I have a 284 page section, and another section of about 400 pages, and a little bit in the middle that just said “Fuck it” and struck out for the territories. All in all, a ...more
Arah-Lynda
Jun 04, 2015 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
It's crazy I know. I mean I am over three quarters of the way through this book but if I am being honest, the chances of my ever going back to finish it are just about nil.

Why you may ask and I guess the answer would be that I was never truly invested in the story or it's characters. In fairness it started out reasonably well and I did enjoy the camaraderie between Ralph and Lois but once the little bald doctors started making their appearance my interest level began to diminish quickly.

So way
Ahmad Sharabiani
Insomnia, Stephen King
Insomnia is a 1994 horror/fantasy novel by American writer Stephen King. Since his wife died, Ralph Roberts has been having trouble sleeping. Each night he wakes up a bit earlier, until he’s barely sleeping at all. During his late night walks, he observes some strange things going on in Derry, Maine. He sees colored ribbons streaming from people’s heads, two strange little men wandering around town after dark, and more. He begins to suspect that these visions are something
Jackie
Oct 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone needed a doorstop
Shelves: horror
I HATED it. Extremely long-winded and convoluted. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Probably his most pointless story ever.
This is when I knew Stephen King had lost his awesome writing powers and I can't really bring myself to read him again. Bad enough I had to suffer through Black House, and then this.
He really should have quit while he ahead and still an icon in the writing world. As for me, I'd rather slit my own wrists than suffer through another one of his awful novels ever again.
Paul O'Neill
A reread on the journey to the Dark Tower...

I read this a few years back and gave it a one star rating, I feel I may have been a bit harsh. This book has a lot going for it and is quite important in the Stephen King universe.

The characters are great, it's nice to see older characters for a change and Ralph is awesome. A unique concept with sprinklings of the Dark Tower throughout.

It was a bit lengthy though and there are huge parts of this book where it drags along, which is ultimately why it
Steve
I saw somewhere that Insomnia is considered by some to be one of King's "problem" books. I'm not sure what's meant by that tag, though for me the "problem" eventually would become that I didn't think of the book as a horror novel. It started out strongly, with a likable 70 year old everyman, Ralph Roberts, adjusting to life without his beloved wife. King's focus on aging and loneliness is as good as anything I've read by him. And deftly slipped in, a hint of the supernatural and coming doom, as ...more
Bri | bribooks
Writing this review is going to break my heart, so I'm going to get it over with as quickly as possible. Deal? Okay.

The most interesting thing about rereading Stephen King's works in chronological order is seeing how my opinions of them change in comparison to how I felt years ago. Experiencing his releases one after the other in publication order puts them in a new light, and that new light can often shine previously unnoticed brilliance or bring dark shadows to my attention.

Insomnia is a
Ruth Turner
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

"You may not know it, but shape-changing is a time-honored custom in Derry.”

Audiobook – Narrated by – Eli Wallach – A good narration except for the background music. At times I couldn’t even hear Wallach’s voice, so in the end I gave up.

***

Ebook:

When I read Insomnia the first time, many years ago, I hated it. I hadn’t read The Dark Tower novels and knew next to nothing about them, so I missed the connections. This time, although I still haven’t read the DT series (except for The Gunslinger), I’m
Ken
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s so many great individual elements in Insomnia that it really could have been potentially one of King’s best works.
So it’s really frustrating that there’s so many dull moments that drags the pacing of the story down, I’m sure King isn’t intending to send he’s readers to sleep??

Recently widowed Ralph Roberts starts having trouble sleeping, he puts this down to the recent loss of he’s wife Carolyn.
But soon Ralph starts to see these strange visions...
I really loved the opening to this book,
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
You either love it or hate it.
I'm obviously of the earlier persuasion.

Review soonish. Maybe.

5 ninja bunnehs with balloon strings
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

“It's a long way back to Eden, Sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff.”

This book does a weird thing books generally don't do - it starts well but keeps getting progressively worse as the length keeps unmercifully chugging away. I was into it for the first 200 pages although little was happening and the build-up stage was generous, but it kept letting out steam as it kept going, and when it came into weird territory and everything felt muddy and more complex, I lost interest. The last few
Delee
Dec 04, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Group read with The Dark Tower Honk MahFahs.
Tundextra
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king-reads, fantasy
King wields a wonderful tale around an older Derry man and his peer group of mostly retired people. Main protagonist Ralph Roberts starts to get a rare type of Insomnia, that leads to a hyper reality and much more!
Can't get no sleep?

A clever The Dark Tower prologue with so much loving and appreciated detail giving to the life of Ralph and his peers and the ongoing/oncoming old age, as well as the nature of insomnia and sleeplessness, which was very interesting. King really captures each
Adam Light
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have now read this one three times, and I still love it. It certainly is overlong, but that is one of the reasons I enjoy it so. King's imagination was on fire, maybe more so than at any other time. I really dug all the literary references, and the completely insane hallucinatory adventures Ralph Roberts has. Oh, and the way it ties in to the Dark Tower saga is a highlight as well.
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊

This was definitely a weird one. RTC, after all or most or at least a few of my buddies finish up. Or will they all DNF it? Only time will tell.
Ed
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read, or is going to read, the Dark Tower novels
Davor Salopek
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting more and more sucked into Kings books. They start so normal with some issues, the plot is getting so confused and after some time they make sense and end up so good, can't wait to start Rose Madder soon.
Stepheny

Since I’ve been on a bender writing reviews of books I didn’t enjoy, I think I’ll take a minute to write one about a book I enjoyed!

*think happy thoughts*

Insomnia was a buddy read with my hostages lttle band of misfits that are reading the Dark Tower together. I’ve read the DTS several times and knew that Insomnia had a few tie-ins with it, but this is the first time I had actually read it. I’m glad I did. The character that comes into play in the DTS is mentioned in this book but there’s not a
Ashley Daviau
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't my first time reading Insomnia, I think it may be my third or fourth time actually. But I definitely enjoyed it the most this time around! I gained a whole new love for this book on this read-through and I'm still stunned by all the Dark Tower references that I missed the other times I read this book!

I will admit that Insomnia is a bit slow at times and I did feel there was points were it dragged on a bit needlessly. But when it did pick up, it MORE than made up for the slow bits!
Nikki
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I liked Insomnia a lot. I was quite surprised by the older protagonists, although of course there are things which compensate for their age. It wasn't a bad surprise, either. I thought it might be harder to relate to Ralph and Lois because of it, but it ended up not really being a problem at all. The most fascinating character for me, though, was Ed Deepneau. It was interesting how he kept the photo with him until the very end.

I loved a lot of the imagery that ran throughout this -- the auras,
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction
Insomnia in my opinion isn't as good as some of King's books, but it's still a really great story that joins into the frequent setting of the fictional small town of Derry, Maine, often present in King's works as the mysterious place where oddities and evil happens. In this particular one, it features an ordinary an whose lack of sleep allows him to see the monsters affecting everyone in town.
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Thouroughly enjoyable read BUT, as is sometimes the case with a King book, a little too wordy and over long. Would have flowed better if the first half of the book had been condensed by 300 pages or so. The second half if the book is where the story truly shines.

This book featured some new 'powers'. These powers where used in interesting ways. There was a bit of everything here, romance, action, horror and so on.

Now to the GREAT parts of the book. Those Dark Tower references! Wow! There are
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
This book started out so promising, then gradually jumped the tracks into the absurd. I couldn't even bring myself to finish INSOMNIA.
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
2.5 S T A R S

description

25. Two. Five. TWENTY. FIVE. 25 hours, 39 minutes, four attempts and two years. That's how long it took me to finish this massive book. This might have been a 3/4 star read if Stephen King didn't have so much word vomit. Don't @ me. Even he has admitted to his tendency to have "word diarrhea".

This was enjoyable and interesting up until about hour 20, which is where I mostly stopped listening, bumped this bad boy up to 1.5x and prayed for it to be over. It. was. just. way. too.
Stephen King 2020...: May Read...Yikes already? 17 20 Jun 02, 2019 03:35AM
#RetoTorreOscura: Insomnia 9 35 May 24, 2019 11:58AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong cover and number of pages 10 18 Jul 18, 2018 02:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: please add page number 2 13 Dec 22, 2017 05:12AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Insomnia by Stephen King - Starting August 1st, 2017 23 26 Aug 12, 2017 08:44AM

• The Regulators
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • I Am Legend and Other Stories
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Ghost Story
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Full Throttle
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
“It's a long way back to Eden, Sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff.” 112 likes
“It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in a while exhilarating.” 76 likes