Start by marking “Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants” as Want to Read:
Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants

Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This endearing book captures the sweetness and fun of mother and child interaction with a clever, funny text and illustrations that are right on the mark. J. D. Lester’ s funny nicknames come to life with Hiroe Nakata’s endearing, colorful artwork, resulting in a board book that is sweet, adorable, and fun—perfect for all new mommies and their babies to share.
Published February 23rd 2011 by Robin Corey Books (first published January 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants

Shel
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lester, J.D. (2009). Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants. New York: Random House.

Mommy Calls Me Monkeypants is a boardbook that shares the various nicknames, inspired by many animals that a mother has given to her daughter.

While this book is certainly cute and would lend itself to naming various types of animals, the lack of a father figure is noticeable.

While the child and mother are shown at the beginning and end of the story, children from various background should have an equal chance
Karawan
This was so cute. I picked it up because "monkeypants" seemed like such a perfect nickname for my high-energy and silly son... I assumed it would be about a child he'd have something in common with. It's actually not. After the first page it's about various mommy-baby animal pairs where the mother has a particular nickname for her little one. But I'm a sucker for most books with baby animals in them and I thought it was absolutely adorable even though it wasn't what I was expecting.
Alice
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little bedtime story. I have always been attracted by the title and now I read it today. Every mom has a pet name for their kids because they "love them so"....my mommy however does not call me Mon
key pants LOL
Levi
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Levi by: Catalina Decker
Cute book about different Mommies and their babies. I like the rhinocerous and the monkey page the best.
Heidi
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is pretty cute, but so far my son isn't impressed.
Libby
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the text and illustrations were very cute, but my 14-month-old son didn't find anything neat about this one. Maybe if he was old enough to understand the words, he would.
Corinne
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, board-book
I enjoyed the animal nicknames. wasn't fond of the human one though. cute illustrations.
J
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
I absolutely loved this book!
Shana Karnes
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-ruthie
Ruthie and I enjoyed this one, but it's a little short!
Catherine
Aww so cute. Made me smile.
Molly
This is a cute read for parent and child and all the nicknames that can mean love. Cute illustrations. Ages 2+
jacky
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
Natalie rejected this book. I thought it would be about cute names for human babies, but it had mostly animals. It was still a cute concept, and the artwork was nice.
Kim
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mother, laptime
Baby animal/mother pairings with all sorts of nicknames.
Megan
Baby animals and their mommas.
Susan
just read it a few days ago and i can't even remember it. must have been memorable.
Robin
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
This is a really sweet board book with lots of different animals who are called different things by their moms and dads. It's a neat way to start learning about animals.
Byron
Sometimes she calls me Fussypants, too.
Professor
Cute enough, though the peacock who is called Hollywood always annoys me for some reason.
Amy