Start by marking “A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)

A Fine Place for Death

(Mitchell and Markby #6)

A look into one girl's life sheds light on another girl's death...

Meredith Mitchell and Chief Inspector Markby probe troubled family relationships to find a killer in A Fine Place for Death, the compelling sixth mystery in Ann Granger's Mitchell & Markby series. The perfect read for fans of Kathy Cranston, Agatha Christie and ITV's Midsomer Murders.

'Ingenious... witty
Paperback
Published October 6th 1994 by Headline (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Place for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Place for Death

Ingrid
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one.
Damaskcat
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meredith has been befriended by a young girl - Katie Conway - who attended Meredith's talk to her youth club about her travels abroad. Meredith doesn't feel she's really cut out to be agony aunt to a teenager but she feels sorry for the girl as she doesn't seem to get much sympathy and understanding from her family. Then another young girl disappears and is found dead and Bamford starts to feel threatened. DCI Alan Markby - Meredith Mitchell's friend - is investigating the murder.

When it seems t
Martina Kovaříková
I actually had to take a break from Merediths and Alans stories, because I admit I was slightly getting annoyed especially by Meredith. However I picked up this book and I really enjoyed it a lot. This could be because there was not as much of Meredith, and not as much of their relationship issues being described.
The book had few good twists, and even I could not guess who the murderer was - although in one case, I expect noone could. Also there is one surprising twist at the end. Thinking about
Cirrus Minor
Mitchell kann einem schon Leid tun: Sie versucht alles, um den Ermittlungen aus dem Weg zu gehen und kommt doch immer wieder aus Versehen den Mördern in die Quere. Eigentlich dachte ich ja, Markby sei hier der Polizist, aber das ist wohl unwichtig... Einen Stern gibt es für das herzerwärmende Ende, ansonsten hadere ich wirklich ernsthaft mit den Krimis und mit den englischen im Besonderen.
Eugene
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Decent entry in the series, if a bit darker. The Conway family is somewhat disfunctional, mom is quite mentally fragile and delusional, dad mostly concerned with himself, and Katie left in the lurch. Then Katie’s friend Lynne is found murdered, and Katie herself seems in peril...
Punit Sahani
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite a suspense till it starts falling into place. Bad company and little for fun sake can surely get you in trouble.
Elijah Traven
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read.

I liked this book from start to finish. The characters are well drawn. You really care for them. I’ll be reading the rest of the series.
Janey
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fmc, 2019
Enjoyable and entertaining book. I liked the characters and the story was engaging.
Gary Van Cott
In this book Meridith Mitchell has moved back to Bamford and as usual gets involved in DCI Markby's cases. I have decided that the reason I don't like this series more, is that the main characters are too one-dimensional. Neither of them seems to have any significant problems except with their relationship with each other. Markby would like to marry Mitchell while she, after resisting any significant relationship at all in the first few book (without any reason given to the reader) is now agains ...more
Christine Cody
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the sixth book in the very entertaining Mitchell and Markby series. Now that Meredith has purchased her own home, this book introduces many more of the eccentric and lovable residents of Bamford. In fact, the novel ends with a charming scene between two people at least a few decades older than Meredith and Alan. I wish this series were even longer than it is, but I'll enjoy it while I can.
Carol
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is #6 in the series and I enjoy the characters in the book and the stories don't have language and have interesting twists to the plot that keep me guessing. 2 young girls are murdered in the small Cotswold village, are they related with the same killer or two different killers and different reasons??? And my question is will Meredirth and Chief Inspector Markby ever get married???
Lisa C
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, mysteries
I was hoping that this would be another of Granger's historical novels. My disappointment never really came to fruition though, as I was drawn in by her interesting characters and solid pacing. I'm very glad that I branched out, as I enjoyed this work as much as her historical mysteries, and now I have a new author to devour.
Gloria Mccracken
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is about the third in a good solid British series. It combines aspects of the good old village cozy, a police procedural, and a light dose of relationship. I have about a zillion of the series, which I have found here and there,since many of them are out of print. And I'm looking forward to reading all of them.
Vivian
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I listened to this slow moving but enjoyable book on audio CD. This is a new to me author whose other books in this series I will likely seek out in the future. Very good writing, story line and sense of place,
Carmen
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Two teenage girls are killed. Is it a serial killer, or just two unrealted murders? Even though they discover that both girls worked as hookers, the murders end up not being related. Throw in an eccentric kind of nuts woman and a woman scorned and you have an interesting story.
Sarah "Kat"
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Linda
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
2 girls disappear in separate incidents. Is there a serial killer on the loose in this small English village? Interesting police procedural.
Kim
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Les Wilson
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable read. First rate.
Lesley
Sep 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Good entry into this solid British police procedural series. I'm slowly making my way through this series.
Lori
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
best one yet in this series.
Nancy Wilson
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The series is taking on a more of a settle--less wanderer air about it--more stable characters and situations have been added--4 deaths--at least 3 murders and again one goes unresolved.
Theresa Sivelle
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is another one I listened to on a recent road trip. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I kept thinking it was done and then something else would happen.
Dustin
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
story fine not exciting but solid enough markby and Mitchell's relationship slow
Julie
another good one. a bit darker than the others. but this author is very consistent. i like the way she delves into her characters with a bit of psychology, and yet does it very unobtrusively.
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Eva Gabler
Sep 05, 2008
Miss CL Collins
Jan 21, 2018
Sue
Mar 09, 2015

• Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)
  • Dark Undertakings (Drew Slocombe, #1)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • The Bishop at the Lake (Blackie Ryan, #16)
  • Szajka bez końca
  • The Old House on the Corner
  • Mist Over the Mersey
  • Far and Away
Ann Granger (born 1939) has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
  • Call the Dead Again (Mitchell and Markby Village, #11)